LTH Home

Only 136 restaurants to go . . .

Only 136 restaurants to go . . .
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Only 136 restaurants to go . . .

Post #1 - December 30th, 2018, 7:55 pm
    Post #1 - December 30th, 2018, 7:55 pm Post #1 - December 30th, 2018, 7:55 pm
    That's how many local places I've never been to that still appear on my want-to-try list. They range from get-your-grub on hot dog stands to fine-dining establishments. And the list is dynamic, so it's certain that more will appear even as I'm checking some off the list. *Sigh*

Also on the list are 167 places to which I'd happily return (though, there are obviously far more in this category that I never bothered to track), as well as 74 places that I've permanently banned and 118 that have closed since I originally put them on my list (some of which I tried, and some of which I never managed to visit).

The bottom line is that I guess I need to get out more in 2019.

=R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #2 - December 30th, 2018, 8:12 pm
    Post #2 - December 30th, 2018, 8:12 pm Post #2 - December 30th, 2018, 8:12 pm
    You will also need to look after your health so will have the energy to pursue your goal. It is also important to extend your healthy life time as you will need many years to fulfill your destiny.

As diet is essential factor in health and vigor, in order to be able to eat out more you will need to eat less.

Ain’t life grand?
  • Post #3 - December 30th, 2018, 8:25 pm
    Post #3 - December 30th, 2018, 8:25 pm Post #3 - December 30th, 2018, 8:25 pm
    scottsol wrote:You will also need to look after your health so will have the energy to pursue your goal. It is also important to extend your healthy life time as you will need many years to fulfill your destiny.

As diet is essential factor in health and vigor, in order to be able to eat out more you will need to eat less.

Ain’t life grand?

Haha, so true but I have no actual intention of hitting all these places or even trying to. It'll be a successful year in dining if I can hit 1-2 new places a month.

=R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

• Post #4 - December 30th, 2018, 8:42 pm
    Post #4 - December 30th, 2018, 8:42 pm Post #4 - December 30th, 2018, 8:42 pm
    The sad yet wonderful reality of enthusiastically trying restaurants in Chicagoland is that, no matter how hard you try, not only won't you get to try all the ones on your list, but your list will never shrink, only grow.
  • Post #5 - December 30th, 2018, 8:53 pm
    Post #5 - December 30th, 2018, 8:53 pm Post #5 - December 30th, 2018, 8:53 pm
    Can you share your lists?
  • Post #6 - December 30th, 2018, 10:14 pm
    Post #6 - December 30th, 2018, 10:14 pm Post #6 - December 30th, 2018, 10:14 pm
    While there are places I haven’t visited I try to find some reason to visit.

That narrows the list and makes it manageable.

The list will be continuously in flux and sometimes an entire section will be ignored.

I try to roll with the punches as good as I can.
    "Make Lunch, Not War" ~ Anon
  • Post #7 - January 4th, 2019, 12:04 am
    Post #7 - January 4th, 2019, 12:04 am Post #7 - January 4th, 2019, 12:04 am
    JoeChicago wrote:Can you share your lists?

It'd be hard because they're basically scrawled in chicken scratch. But I did manage to move one from Category 1 (want to try) to Category 2 (would return) earlier this week. So, at least for now, only 135 to go . . . :)

=R=

• Post #8 - January 6th, 2019, 3:26 pm
    Post #8 - January 6th, 2019, 3:26 pm Post #8 - January 6th, 2019, 3:26 pm
    Down to 134 . . .

=R=

• Post #9 - January 6th, 2019, 4:37 pm
    Post #9 - January 6th, 2019, 4:37 pm Post #9 - January 6th, 2019, 4:37 pm
    Hi,

Your interests are so dynamic, this list could increase as you eat your way down it.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #10 - January 6th, 2019, 8:33 pm
    Post #10 - January 6th, 2019, 8:33 pm Post #10 - January 6th, 2019, 8:33 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Your interests are so dynamic, this list could increase as you eat your way down it.

I'm guessing you're right. Like so many of us here, my food interests are pretty varied. And like so many of us here, inspiration, tips, leads etc. for places to try come not only from reading LTH but also through all sorts of other conduits, even when I'm not actively trying to solicit them.

In less than one week I tried -- both, for the first time -- an Indian street food place and a high-end fine dining establishment. This makes me very happy to live in Chicagoland. We're truly blessed with a wealth of culinary riches.

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more