LTH Home

Brunch Downtown for 8 People?

Brunch Downtown for 8 People?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Brunch Downtown for 8 People?

Post #1 - December 22nd, 2018, 9:16 am
    Post #1 - December 22nd, 2018, 9:16 am Post #1 - December 22nd, 2018, 9:16 am
    Hi -- This group has always been so helpful directing me and others to the best dining options.... Hoping you can help me out with this question:

Where would you go for a Sunday brunch for 8 people that:

-is no more than a 15-minute cab from Union Station
    -takes reservations
    -isn't too noisy
    -has really good food

I've been out of the loop for a while, so I don't have my finger on the pulse of the best places anymore. I love Publican, but it's potentially too crowded/noisy for what I'm looking for. Wondering about Nico Osteria or something along these lines-- a little more high-end, not stuffy.... Any thoughts welcome. Thank you!!
  • Post #2 - December 22nd, 2018, 1:27 pm
    Post #2 - December 22nd, 2018, 1:27 pm Post #2 - December 22nd, 2018, 1:27 pm
    Hi,

I am not a brunch person. Today is probably a day with everyone distracted. I found this thread (some places are closed) with information that may be useful:

Brunch to Impress

If you do a search on 'old site search' that I happen to consider the better search option:
    keywords: brunch
    forum: eating out in chicagoland
    select: topic titles only

You will find more options.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #3 - December 22nd, 2018, 1:36 pm
    Post #3 - December 22nd, 2018, 1:36 pm Post #3 - December 22nd, 2018, 1:36 pm
    Thanks!
  • Post #4 - December 22nd, 2018, 5:37 pm
    Post #4 - December 22nd, 2018, 5:37 pm Post #4 - December 22nd, 2018, 5:37 pm
    My two favorite Sunday brunches (listed first below) both meet your criteria. Neither is inexpensive, although places that accept reservations generally are not inexpensive. I'll add a couple more options after those.

North Pond is in the middle of Lincoln Park (the park itself, not the adjacent namesake neighborhood), a 15-minute cab ride from Union Station on a Sunday. The exquisite setting offers a view of the pond with the city skyline looming over it. (When reserving, request seating in the front dining room with the full-length windows, although even the rear room with the open kitchen is fun.) The food from chef-owner (and James Beard Award winner) Bruce Sherman is superb, although their brunch is more dinner-like (if you're looking for omelets, don't look here). Dinner is fairly expensive, but brunch is a great bargain, at $37 for a prix fixe menu with choices for each of the three courses.

The next three options are all in River North, a 5-10 minute cab ride from US on weekends.

Shaw's Crab House serves an all-you-can-eat brunch on Saturdays and Sundays. At $65, it's rather pricy for brunch, but if you consider it as a dinner, it's not bad for what you get. Their buffet includes hot or cold Alaskan king crab legs, a carving station with beef tenderloin, omelets made to order, Chicago's best crab cakes, amazing thick-cut caramelized bacon, desserts (creme brulee, pot de creme), and so much more.

As you can see, the food at both of the above options is more dinner-like than brunch-like. If you're looking for a more brunch-like option, I like the brunch at Maggiano's. I particularly like their lemon ricotta pancakes, and the fact that they include a choice of sides (including eggs) for around $15-18. But they have a lot of other good options as well. And because it's not all-you-can-eat, it's not as expensive as other options here.

Another option is Osteria Via Stato, which is also an all-you-can-eat buffet ($35), but with brunch-focused options like smoked fish, waffles, etc.

North Pond is the least noisy option among these; the other three are lively but you can still carry on a conversation.

EDIT: I forgot to mention GT Fish & Oyster in River North until spinynorman99 brought it up below. That's another favorite of mine! The food is great, noise levels are moderate, and it's nowhere near as expensive as the all-you-can-eat places. Great recommendation!
    Last edited by nsxtasy on December 23rd, 2018, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #5 - December 22nd, 2018, 11:07 pm
    Post #5 - December 22nd, 2018, 11:07 pm Post #5 - December 22nd, 2018, 11:07 pm
    Haven't been in years, they may have changed, the brunch at Mercat a la Planxa was awesome last time I was there.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #6 - December 23rd, 2018, 6:44 am
    Post #6 - December 23rd, 2018, 6:44 am Post #6 - December 23rd, 2018, 6:44 am
    Somerset is great, as is GT Fish & Oyster. Ema and Pacific Standard Time are also great options although some people feel PST is loud.
  • Post #7 - December 23rd, 2018, 5:07 pm
    Post #7 - December 23rd, 2018, 5:07 pm Post #7 - December 23rd, 2018, 5:07 pm
    Thanks, everyone!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more