LTH Home

Tous les Jours French Asian Bakery

Tous les Jours French Asian Bakery
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Tous les Jours French Asian Bakery

Post #1 - November 13th, 2018, 6:03 pm
    Post #1 - November 13th, 2018, 6:03 pm Post #1 - November 13th, 2018, 6:03 pm
    I'm a sucker for French / Asian bakeries, love the squishy soft egg salad sandwiches, adore anything with squid ink, squid ink sausage bun at Tous le Jours or the incredible squid ink bacon bun from 85°C (no locations in Chicagoland). Plus numerous combinations that sound interesting at first blush but are delicious.

Pastries, macarons, sandwiches, tea, I'm partial to hot milk tea, rolls, bread, in particular the milk bread which is used to make sandwiches.

Tous les Jours is a chain, multiple locations in Chicagoland, I've only been to the one in Glenview, located in a Korean centric mall near H-Mart & Joong Boo with the bonus of a large Fresh Farms nearby. Friendly, comfortable seating and delicious, all things I enjoy.

TousLesJoursP1.jpg Squid ink sausage bread, egg salad sandwich, mini frank.

TousLesJours3.jpg Tous les Jours

TousLesJours2.jpg Tous les Jours

Tous les Jours, Count me a Fan!

Tous les Jours
    1685 N Milwaukee Ave
    Glenview, IL 60025
    847-257-7648
    https://www.tljus.com/
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #2 - November 16th, 2018, 11:23 am
    Post #2 - November 16th, 2018, 11:23 am Post #2 - November 16th, 2018, 11:23 am
    I've been the one in Vernon Hills at Hawthorn Mall. My girlfriend absolutely loves their mango cream cake. I had a chocolate coronet which is basically a chocolate cream filled pastry similar to a croissant the size and shape of an egg roll. Wasn't bad. They have some pretty unusual items there both savory and sweet.
  • Post #3 - November 17th, 2018, 3:39 am
    Post #3 - November 17th, 2018, 3:39 am Post #3 - November 17th, 2018, 3:39 am
    They just opened a location at Asiana Market in Mesa, AZ two months ago. I am gradually working through all of their offerings.

I am not real keen on the squid ink rolls as their other selections but all in all, the pastries are very good.
  • Post #4 - November 17th, 2018, 11:35 am
    Post #4 - November 17th, 2018, 11:35 am Post #4 - November 17th, 2018, 11:35 am
    What is the flavor of squid ink? Across the many times I've eaten squid ink pasta I've never been able to distinguish a recognizable or consistent 'ink' flavor. Is there one?
  • Post #5 - November 17th, 2018, 1:04 pm
    Post #5 - November 17th, 2018, 1:04 pm Post #5 - November 17th, 2018, 1:04 pm
    Bok Choy Jr wrote:What is the flavor of squid ink? Across the many times I've eaten squid ink pasta I've never been able to distinguish a recognizable or consistent 'ink' flavor. Is there one?

Very subtle really - perhaps a tad briny, and it lends a little savoriness to a dish. But if you're eating a squid ink pasta, you're mostly going to appreciate the color of the pasta.
    I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted, cured meats. (Seinfeld)

Twitter: brbinchicago
  • Post #6 - November 17th, 2018, 8:38 pm
    Post #6 - November 17th, 2018, 8:38 pm Post #6 - November 17th, 2018, 8:38 pm
    Bok Choy Jr wrote:What is the flavor of squid ink?

Basically what BR said, savory, subtle hint of ocean, vague salty, maybe a wee bit of earthy funk in its most concentrated form. Savory, glutamate rich, what the cool kids call umami, which I think of as more flavor catalyst.

I'd also venture some places with squid ink use the term euphemistically, or in minuscule amounts.

If you go to Monteverde, Giant or Spiaggia and order squid ink pasta the flavor will come though, a bakery selling a $1.75 item ~maybe~

Either way, I like ordering squid ink sausage buns, they taste good to me. I (think I) detect a bit of ocean funk. If I find out tomorrow its really food coloring with a bit of fermented tofu I'm not going to be major upset. :)

A few years ago I bought a small jar of squid ink to make squid ink paella, tasted straight from the jar the favor was apparent.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #7 - November 18th, 2018, 1:15 pm
    Post #7 - November 18th, 2018, 1:15 pm Post #7 - November 18th, 2018, 1:15 pm
    Dropped $30 this morning just wanting to try it all :D

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more