LTH Home

I have a cough, HELP

I have a cough, HELP
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • I have a cough, HELP

Post #1 - October 6th, 2018, 9:02 pm
    Post #1 - October 6th, 2018, 9:02 pm Post #1 - October 6th, 2018, 9:02 pm
    So my daughter brought home something evil from 1st grade. Barely affected her but has been with me for the past 10 days in the form of a dry cough that won’t get productive and won’t go away. I need a big bowl of something comforting that will push this along. Looking at lunch tomorrow and open to suggestions. Caldo de something Mexican? Korean? Should I go to Amitable or Syssal? Open to suggestions and curious about anything that has comforted others when feeling under the weather.
  • Post #2 - October 6th, 2018, 9:33 pm
    Post #2 - October 6th, 2018, 9:33 pm Post #2 - October 6th, 2018, 9:33 pm
    I always want Han Bat whenever I'm feeling under the weather. And bonus points for being open at 8am on the weekends!
  • Post #3 - October 7th, 2018, 8:20 am
    Post #3 - October 7th, 2018, 8:20 am Post #3 - October 7th, 2018, 8:20 am
    Syssal would be an good choice, ginseng is reputed to be an excellent restorative. Pho, bun bo hue, sul lung tang at Han Bat or caldo de pollo, any or all. I just posted about terrific caldo de pollo at Carnitas La Esquinita. Feel better soon.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #4 - October 7th, 2018, 3:27 pm
    Post #4 - October 7th, 2018, 3:27 pm Post #4 - October 7th, 2018, 3:27 pm
    Duck soup from Sun Wah, with a good dose of the red vinegar they have on the tables in it (ask and they'll give you some to go, if you don't want to douse there).
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #5 - October 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm
    Post #5 - October 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm Post #5 - October 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm
    While not the most awesome it was pretty dang good.

D4BD9466-08AE-4765-B58E-C957F5F0CDAD.jpeg

Chicken soup at...

Los Huaraches
    3482 Milwaukee Ave, Northbrook

Good ole Jewish Penicillin. If that doesn’t cure you a few squirts of their red hot sauce in the squeeze bottle will burn it out. :)
    "Make Lunch, Not War" ~ Anon
  • Post #6 - October 8th, 2018, 3:12 pm
    Post #6 - October 8th, 2018, 3:12 pm Post #6 - October 8th, 2018, 3:12 pm
    ssyal samgye tang @ ssyal, 4201 w lawrence
  • Post #7 - October 8th, 2018, 5:38 pm
    Post #7 - October 8th, 2018, 5:38 pm Post #7 - October 8th, 2018, 5:38 pm
    My Southeast Asian penicillin is the chicken rice soup at the Hyde Park "Thai" places. I do not know - and would like to find out - the correct name for this and real place of origin. It has ground chicken, fried garlic, old rice, and threads of fresh ginger within a lot of oily chicken broth and is regularly consumed by the back-of-house. No noodles, no fresh herbs. Snail and Noodles Etc. both have it right.

Avgolemono is my other go-to; Psistaria and Artopolis are my favorites, or Cross-Rhodes in a pinch (it's volcanic lava at service temperature - give it time). Oshibori - Japanese hot towel service - also does wonders before a bowl of miso. Kuni-san has this on lock in Evanston, and multiple singing clients that come in just for that.
  • Post #8 - October 9th, 2018, 11:54 am
    Post #8 - October 9th, 2018, 11:54 am Post #8 - October 9th, 2018, 11:54 am
    I still mourn the chicken soup from Burrito Beach - spicy, limey, full of grilled chicken flavor and kissed with cilantro. Sigh.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #9 - October 9th, 2018, 12:27 pm
    Post #9 - October 9th, 2018, 12:27 pm Post #9 - October 9th, 2018, 12:27 pm
    My mother used to make a cup of hot beef or chicken bouillon when one of us was sick with a sore throat. She always kept little jars of bouillon cubes in the pantry. Nowadays I keep jars of Better Than Bouillon on hand. It's still my go-to for a sore throat, and more pleasant to sip slowly or even gargle with than straight salt water. Can't remember why gargling with salt water helps, but it does seem to. If you feel too crummy to go out or send out for any of the suggestions above, try a cup of hot beef or chicken bouillon.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #10 - October 9th, 2018, 9:44 pm
    Post #10 - October 9th, 2018, 9:44 pm Post #10 - October 9th, 2018, 9:44 pm
    Thanks, everyone for the replies. I wound up feeling too crappy to go out. My wonderful husband brought me Matzah Ball soup from JB’s Deli in Andersonville. I am far from an expert on this soup but it felt like just what the doctor ordered and was restorative. My energy level is back up (not necessarily attributing that to the soup,) but the cough still lingers. I may still try a few of the suggestions above until I can shake this thing.
    Katie, my Mom always had the jar of chicken bouillon cubes in the pantry. Wonder if she still does. Now I’m kind of craving a cup.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more