LTH Home

Mainland India - Keralan in Niles

Mainland India - Keralan in Niles
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Mainland India - Keralan in Niles

Post #1 - September 14th, 2018, 12:33 pm
    Post #1 - September 14th, 2018, 12:33 pm Post #1 - September 14th, 2018, 12:33 pm
    I could have sworn that I'd seen something here on this restaurant, but no, nothing. I think I must have read something in the local newspaper (aha yes, here it is).
    In any case, this is the old site at Dempster and Milwaukee where Rossini's was for many years (and a couple other Greek and Italian places between).

When we got there around 6, the place was empty, but it filled somewhat as we ate (it's a big space). The menu isn't huge, but features a lot of typical Indian classics, and a number of Keralan specialties. The online delivery menu has photos and more descriptions than the printed menu -- bringing your phone may help. Google indicates the meat is halal.

We started with the onion pakora, which were crisply-battered onion strings with chutneys on the side. Nice way to do onion rings vs the typical ranch-ish dipping sauce.
    Garlic naan lived up to its name: a lot of fresh garlic spread on the puffy/crispy naan.
    Cheese Masala Dosa was fantastic, with lots more filling than I've usually gotten in a large dosa (most places put a scoop in the middle and there's nothing on the ends -- this bulges but is spread throughout), with cheese, potatoes, veg and spices, served with a coconut chutney and a nicely spicy sambar.*
    Last was a Keralan Beef Curry, with coconut milk and Keralan spices (which appeared to be a lot of cardamom and possibly clove). Very tasty -- surprised to see beef there, but the article says it's typical for Kerala.

I'd definitely like to go back and try more dishes, perhaps with a group.

* I never have been able to figure out whether I'm supposed to spoon it on as a condiment, dip like a grilled cheese in tomato soup, or just eat the soup, when I get a sambar with a dosa

Mainland India Restaurant
    8808 N Milwaukee Ave, Niles, IL 60714
    Phone: (847) 257-7918
    http://www.mainlandindia.us/
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more