LTH Home

Jack's Restaurant [Thick Cut Bacon]

Jack's Restaurant [Thick Cut Bacon]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Jack's Restaurant [Thick Cut Bacon]

- February 16th, 2008, 4:45 pm
    - February 16th, 2008, 4:45 pm Post #1 - February 16th, 2008, 4:45 pm
    Had lunch at Jack's today with a friend. It'd been a long time since I'd been in. I used to go here a lot as a kid. I loved the toy chest by the cash register and the pictures on the wall of all the staffers, with the number of years they'd been at Jack's, displayed underneath them. Years later -- mid 90's -- the wife and I would eat dinner here fairly regularly. It got to the point where we knew some of the servers by name.

Then we moved away and stopped going to Jack's regularly. Then Skokie banned smoking. Then Jack's ceased to be open 24 hours and it lost a bit of its appeal . . . and no more pictures of staffers on the wall, either. It just ain't that kind of place anymore. Yeah, things change. Sucks, doesn't it?

Today, the place seems cold and a bit worn, and you just feel like it's seen its best days. Chicken soup from a base and a completely humorless and personality-less cashier did nothing to ammend that perception. Our server was very nice, though, which did bring to mind some fond memories of the place in its hey day.

There was nothing egregiously wrong with lunch. What we ordered was tasty. But in the past, when you ate at Jack's, you felt like you were eating at a restaurant that was the best of its kind. Now, it just feels like another coffee shop . . . except for the thick-cut bacon, that is :wink:

Francheezie

Chef Salad with thick-cut bacon

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide