LTH Home

Lost Larson bakery Andersonville

Lost Larson bakery Andersonville
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - July 26th, 2018, 2:44 pm
    Post #31 - July 26th, 2018, 2:44 pm Post #31 - July 26th, 2018, 2:44 pm
    I sent them an email to let them know (I live in Hyde Park so can't just bring it right back to show them). Haven't heard anything yet, but will update if I do.

Heard back...they said they've been having some technical difficulties with their flour mill and the quality wasn't what they thought yesterday. Offered a refund or another loaf.
  • Post #32 - July 26th, 2018, 3:02 pm
    Post #32 - July 26th, 2018, 3:02 pm Post #32 - July 26th, 2018, 3:02 pm
    bon2mic wrote: The breads in the display face out (as in pictures above) and the top looked lovely. It was put right in to a bag. When I got it home and pulled it out of the bag I realized the bread was very flat. I bake bread and know this can happen but was surprised to see it from a bakery. When we cut in to it, the interior texture was gummy and clearly underbaked. So disappointing, especially as it cost $9! I sent them an email to let them know (I live in Hyde Park so can't just bring it right back to show them). Haven't heard anything yet, but will update if I do. I would definitely go back for the pastries but I'll just stick to making my own bread from now on.

Was this an American shaped sandwich loaf, batard, or boule? The boules and batards, as country bread, are often flatter than I prefer but I have seen this time and time again. What kind of flour(s)?
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #33 - July 26th, 2018, 9:18 pm
    Post #33 - July 26th, 2018, 9:18 pm Post #33 - July 26th, 2018, 9:18 pm
    Was this an American shaped sandwich loaf, batard, or boule? The boules and batards, as country bread, are often flatter than I prefer but I have seen this time and time again. What kind of flour(s)?

It was a batard. It had no sides whatsoever. Not sure on the flour - definitely whole grain. It was called Honey Oat.
  • Post #34 - July 28th, 2018, 2:41 pm
    Post #34 - July 28th, 2018, 2:41 pm Post #34 - July 28th, 2018, 2:41 pm
    Tart art and hearty brot is the Swedish way at Lost Larson
    It seems we can count the Chicago Reader's Mike Sula a fan.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #35 - November 30th, 2018, 9:50 am
    Post #35 - November 30th, 2018, 9:50 am Post #35 - November 30th, 2018, 9:50 am
    Finally made it to Lost Larson today. It was an easy stop on the way back from dropping the dog at day care. I spent several minutes looking at the pastries with the staff pleasantly answering my questions. I decided on the pastry of the day (apple-cranberry, I think), a chocolate croissant and a cardamom bun, plus a cup of coffee. I was checking out when I realized I didn't bring any money and their electronic pay swipe wasn't working. (not that I'm that technologically advanced anyway!) I didn't have enough in quarters from the car and couldn't remember my credit card number. I am grateful that they comped my coffee and said I could pay up later. Great products and customer service! I'll be back besides for settling my tab!

Close-up of the pastry of the day to hide the bite I took of it. :-)
    -Mary
  • Post #36 - December 14th, 2018, 2:15 pm
    Post #36 - December 14th, 2018, 2:15 pm Post #36 - December 14th, 2018, 2:15 pm
    As much as I thought I'd love it, I didn't. For me @ least, good not great. The $6.50 "campfire" latte that was supposed to taste like toasted marshmallow while good (stump town) had none of the alleged flavors. Very nice croissant, a couple underwhelming sandwiches, and good kouign amann rounded out the meal. Glad I went but doubt I'll run back.
    Last edited by Jazzfood on December 15th, 2018, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #37 - December 14th, 2018, 2:43 pm
    Post #37 - December 14th, 2018, 2:43 pm Post #37 - December 14th, 2018, 2:43 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:As much as I thought I'd love it, I didn't. For me @ least, good not great. The $6.50 "campfire" latte that was supposed to taste like toasted marshmellow while good (stump town) had none of the alleged flavors. Very nice croissant, a couple underwhelming sandwiches, and good kouign amann rounded out the meal. Glad I went but doubt I'll run back.

Same for me. I didn't have the latte, so I can't comment on that. I thought the Kouign-Amann and Croissant were fine - not the best in town, not the worst. They were both flaky and buttery. The K-A was restrained on the sweetness, which I appreciated. The croissant was airy, and lightly crusty, and not gummy at all.

2 open face sandwiches I tried were both way off the mark for me. Pickled Herring with lingonberry jam, radish, dill . . . I should have known I wouldn't like it. And I didn't. I guess I hoped there'd be some sort of synergistic reaction that took it to a place beyond the sum of its parts. That didn't happen. Instead, for me, this combination was, in a word, gross. N'Duja Gianduja (ricotta, pumpkin seeds, poached egg) also failed to move the needle for me. It looked good on paper but for me it ended up being a combination of flavors that clashed with each other.

Oh well. I'm glad I tried it but I can't see rushing back any time soon, especially considering how difficult driving and parking logistics are in that part of town. I wanted to pull a kuhdo but I was too busy to stop for second lunch. :(

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #38 - December 15th, 2018, 10:19 am
    Post #38 - December 15th, 2018, 10:19 am Post #38 - December 15th, 2018, 10:19 am
    Ronnie and I are often on the same palate page, though with Lost Larson we differ. I dig the place, enjoyed the herring, which Ronnie found gross, and am looking forward to trying the N'Duja Gianduja. I mean how bad can N'Duja and a poached egg be? Also, while I enjoy LL's traditional croissant their chocolate croissant with hint of cardamom, coco powder and big hunks of chocolate is a favorite. (Picture upthread)

Lost Larson, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #39 - December 15th, 2018, 11:44 am
    Post #39 - December 15th, 2018, 11:44 am Post #39 - December 15th, 2018, 11:44 am
    G Wiv wrote:Ronnie and I are often on the same palate page, though with Lost Larson we differ. I dig the place, enjoyed the herring, which Ronnie found gross, and am looking forward to trying the N'Duja Gianduja. I mean how bad can N'Duja and a poached egg be? Also, while I enjoy LL's traditional croissant their chocolate croissant with hint of cardamom, coco powder and big hunks of chocolate is a favorite. (Picture upthread)

Lost Larson, count me a Fan!

Addendum: I also bought a Country Loaf and a Baguette. Both were excellent. It's good to know that if I'm in the area and need quality bread, there's a place to get it.

As for the herring, there's just no need to muck it up with lingonberries. Is this a traditional prep? The N'Duja Gianduja was surprisingly flavorless. Once you have it, I'll be very curious to know what you think.

=R=
  • Post #40 - December 16th, 2018, 1:36 pm
    Post #40 - December 16th, 2018, 1:36 pm Post #40 - December 16th, 2018, 1:36 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:It's good to know that if I'm in the area and need quality bread, there's a place to get it.

I have to correct myself. Actually, this is very much a bread destination . . .

Country Loaf
    That crumb is legit!

Country Loaf Toast with Butter and Kosher Salt
    Gilding the lily

=R=
  • Post #41 - March 20th, 2019, 10:12 am
    Post #41 - March 20th, 2019, 10:12 am Post #41 - March 20th, 2019, 10:12 am
    Lost Larson is expanding to dinner service with wine starting tonight, March 21.
    Eater link
    -Mary
  • Post #42 - May 31st, 2019, 4:55 pm
    Post #42 - May 31st, 2019, 4:55 pm Post #42 - May 31st, 2019, 4:55 pm
    The pastries that I’ve tried were good to great but the sandwiches seem like a prediabetic’s cry for help. Pickled herring and sweet jam is not a good match. And why combine gianduja and nduja— because they kind of sound alike? It was pretty gross, to be honest. Great bread, though.

If you want something savory, I’d stick with the quiche or a savory croissant.

Also, the prices are kind of ridiculous, but it’s Andersonville and they’re often packed — so maybe not ridiculous at all?
  • Post #43 - June 1st, 2019, 11:53 am
    Post #43 - June 1st, 2019, 11:53 am Post #43 - June 1st, 2019, 11:53 am
    cilantro wrote:The pastries that I’ve tried were good to great but the sandwiches seem like a prediabetic’s cry for help. Pickled herring and sweet jam is not a good match. And why combine gianduja and nduja— because they kind of sound alike? It was pretty gross, to be honest. Great bread, though.

If you want something savory, I’d stick with the quiche or a savory croissant.

Also, the prices are kind of ridiculous, but it’s Andersonville and they’re often packed — so maybe not ridiculous at all?

Haven’t been in forever because I bake myself and I don’t travel that way frequently, but what did you pay? I don’t recall sticker shock.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

• Post #44 - June 6th, 2019, 4:39 pm
    Post #44 - June 6th, 2019, 4:39 pm Post #44 - June 6th, 2019, 4:39 pm
    pairs4life wrote:
    Haven’t been in forever because I bake myself and I don’t travel that way frequently, but what did you pay? I don’t recall sticker shock.

My impression was that everything is up $1-2 since they opened, but I’ll be there next week and will update (or correct).
  • Post #45 - June 6th, 2019, 5:29 pm
    Post #45 - June 6th, 2019, 5:29 pm Post #45 - June 6th, 2019, 5:29 pm
    cilantro wrote:Also, the prices are kind of ridiculous, but it’s Andersonville and they’re often packed — so maybe not ridiculous at all?

pairs4life wrote:Haven’t been in forever because I bake myself and I don’t travel that way frequently, but what did you pay? I don’t recall sticker shock.

cilantro wrote:My impression was that everything is up $1-2 since they opened, but I’ll be there next week and will update (or correct).

Please do.

Note, photos shown in previous posts from my visit last July and BR's the previous month show the following prices at that time:

Plain croissant $3.50
    Chocolate croissant $4.50
    Almond croissant $4.75
    Cookie $3.75
    Strawberry-rhubarb brioche $4.75
    Blueberry or strawberry tart $7
    Passionfruit chocolate hazelnut caramel tart $8
    Cinnamon roll $5
    Blueberry muffin $3.75
    Cheddar kale scone $4.50
    Baguette $5
    Other loaves of bread $8-9

Of course, even if the prices haven't changed since then, some might still consider these prices "kind of ridiculous" while others might not.
  • Post #46 - June 10th, 2019, 12:42 pm
    Post #46 - June 10th, 2019, 12:42 pm Post #46 - June 10th, 2019, 12:42 pm
    MarlaCollins'Husband wrote:It's silly to declare an establishment the best of its kind in Chicago after just one visit.

It's silly to declare an establishment the best of its kind in Chicago after trying just two items on the menu.

It's silly to declare an establishment the best of its kind in Chicago after it's only been open for a couple weeks.

Having now sampled a lot more of the menu at Lost Larson, I'm still pretty enamored with it, but the two sweets I had on my first visit haven't been topped and one, hasn't been as consistent as it should be.

On a recent visit, I got a loaf of bread, a strawberry rhubarb hand pie, and my go-to, the cardamom bun.

Los Larson Bread re.jpg

Lost Larson Bread open re.jpg

The bread at Lost Larson is consistently excellent. I outsmarted myself this time by trying potato bread even after being told it had chunks of potato in it. Pointless chunks of potato aside, this was a fantastic loaf of bread.

Lost Larson hand pie re.jpg

The strawberry rhubarb hand pie was a hunk of super buttery fruity goodness. I like butter as much as anyone (aside - the salted cultured butter they sell is phenomenal), but the butter shouldn't clash with the fruit, which is what happened here. Would still happily eat again.

The disappointment on this visit was with my beloved cardamom bun. I'd like to think that some of the letdown can be attributed to having had two different cardamom buns in Copenhagen last month that blew Lost Larson's best version away, but I was ready for that. And I'm happy to report that the flavor was every bit as good as I remembered. Unfortunately the bun was noticeably dry.

It's definitely rare, but this isn't the first time dryness has been a problem for me at Lost Larson. I'm not sure if errors are happening in the kitchen or if they're trying to squeeze an extra day out of pastries that go unsold. Either way, at the prices they're charging, they're going to need to step it up when it comes to consistency.
  • Post #47 - June 10th, 2019, 4:36 pm
    Post #47 - June 10th, 2019, 4:36 pm Post #47 - June 10th, 2019, 4:36 pm
    ”The disappointment on this visit was with my beloved cardamom bun. I'd like to think that some of the letdown can be attributed to having had two different cardamom buns in Copenhagen last month that blew Lost Larson's best version away, but I was ready for that. And I'm happy to report that the flavor was every bit as good as I remembered. Unfortunately the bun was noticeably dry.”

Did you go to Hart Bageri in Copenhagen?

Hart was the former head baker at Tartine bread.

• Post #48 - June 10th, 2019, 7:23 pm
    Post #48 - June 10th, 2019, 7:23 pm Post #48 - June 10th, 2019, 7:23 pm
    pairs4life wrote:”Did you go to Hart Bageri in Copenhagen? Hart was the former head baker at Tartine bread.

I need to get a Copenhagen post together but yeah, Hart Bageri and Juno were the two that outdid Lost Larson on the cardamom front.
  • Post #49 - June 11th, 2019, 8:42 am
    Post #49 - June 11th, 2019, 8:42 am Post #49 - June 11th, 2019, 8:42 am
    Lost Larson is now running a "Vinbar" on Wednesday - Sunday that is similar in spirit to Cellar Door, All Together Now, and the like, with an emphasis on breadstuffs, vegetables, and natural wines. While the mains and vegetable-forward plates still need some work, the pasta here--a stuffed plin the last time I was there--is incredible, and worth a visit on its own; I'd also call the chicken liver mousse, slicked with some fantastic honey, a must order.
  • Post #50 - June 13th, 2019, 3:38 pm
    Post #50 - June 13th, 2019, 3:38 pm Post #50 - June 13th, 2019, 3:38 pm
    cilantro wrote:
    pairs4life wrote:

My impression was that everything is up $1-2 since they opened, but I’ll be there next week and will update (or correct).

So apparently I can’t be trusted, because the current prices all seem the same as those of a year ago upthread.

I do want to say that the cardamom buns are about half the size of those you get in Sweden, which aren’t that big to begin with. The buns this week could easily fit in the palm of your hand — I think that means they’ve shrunk, but no longer have any confidence in my recollection.
  • Post #51 - November 8th, 2019, 9:54 pm
    Post #51 - November 8th, 2019, 9:54 pm Post #51 - November 8th, 2019, 9:54 pm
    Lost Larson has princess cake! It's a wonderful pastry of sponge cake, whipped cream, and pastry cream enrobed in marzipan. For those who miss this cake from when it was available at the now-closed Swedish Bakery, you can get it just down the street at Lost Larson. They were serving it tonight at the Taste of the Nation event, and Bobby says they now have it pretty much every day at Lost Larson. Hooray!

• Post #52 - December 10th, 2020, 12:50 pm
    Post #52 - December 10th, 2020, 12:50 pm Post #52 - December 10th, 2020, 12:50 pm
    A second location of Lost Larson is coming to Wicker Park as owner Bobby Schaffer aims to debut his third location on Saturday, December 19 at 2140 W. Division Street

https://chicago.eater.com/2020/12/10/22 ... renderings
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #53 - December 10th, 2020, 7:46 pm
    Post #53 - December 10th, 2020, 7:46 pm Post #53 - December 10th, 2020, 7:46 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    A second location of Lost Larson is coming to Wicker Park as owner Bobby Schaffer aims to debut his third location on Saturday, December 19 at 2140 W. Division Street

We’ve been picking up from Anteprima semi-regularly the past month or so and it’s resulted in “rediscovering” Lost Larsen. The chocolate chip walnut banana bread is probably the most decadent thing I’ve eaten this year. Everything we’ve ordered has been delicious.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #54 - December 24th, 2020, 8:21 am
    Post #54 - December 24th, 2020, 8:21 am Post #54 - December 24th, 2020, 8:21 am
    Dave148 wrote:

Lost Larson is poised to open its hotly anticipated Wicker Park location on Wednesday, December 30 at 2140 W. Division Street.

https://chicago.eater.com/2020/12/23/22 ... e-new-year
  • Post #55 - December 27th, 2020, 10:33 am
    Post #55 - December 27th, 2020, 10:33 am Post #55 - December 27th, 2020, 10:33 am
    My son got me a Lost Larsen stollen for Christmas and a dozen kouign amans.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #56 - December 31st, 2020, 3:02 pm
    Post #56 - December 31st, 2020, 3:02 pm Post #56 - December 31st, 2020, 3:02 pm
    Princess cake also available at Levinsons on Devon where I understand the original bakers from the Swedish bakery wound up .
    Lacking fins or tail
    The Gefilte fish
    swims with great difficulty.

Jewish haiku.
  • Post #57 - December 31st, 2020, 3:16 pm
    Post #57 - December 31st, 2020, 3:16 pm Post #57 - December 31st, 2020, 3:16 pm
    kuhdo wrote:Princess cake also available at Levinsons on Devon where I understand the original bakers from the Swedish bakery wound up .

Details are in this post. (Levinson's has a larger princess cake too, in addition to the individual slices and "log" pictured in that topic, although they don't always have the larger one, whereas they almost always have the slices and log.)

One other place you can get a princess cake is by special order at Bennison's in Evanston, as noted and pictured in this post.
  • Post #58 - October 17th, 2021, 9:59 pm
    Post #58 - October 17th, 2021, 9:59 pm Post #58 - October 17th, 2021, 9:59 pm
    Cinnamon roll and the afternoon bun are both a couple of home runs. The cinnamon roll has been touched on before here but I don't think the afternoon bun has been mentioned. Lost Larson takes it's outstanding croissant dough and makes something even better - they're version of a morning but with Earl Grey and citrus sugar replacing the traditional cinnamon and sugar.

A nice change at Lost Larson is that pastries can be pre-ordered, which is great for people who don't want to or can't get over there first thing in the morning.
  • Post #59 - October 20th, 2021, 11:58 am
    Post #59 - October 20th, 2021, 11:58 am Post #59 - October 20th, 2021, 11:58 am
    Thanks to MarlaCollins'Husband, I decided to stop by Lost Larson after a morning appointment nearby. The cinnamon roll was fantastic and will be highlighted in the Best Things thread shortly. I also picked up a country loaf and a cold brew. The coffee was great. More to follow on the bread. A few people were waiting for their orders when I walked up, but service was speedy.
    -Mary
  • Post #60 - April 27th, 2022, 6:03 am
    Post #60 - April 27th, 2022, 6:03 am Post #60 - April 27th, 2022, 6:03 am
    The National Labor Relations Board has forced one of Chicago’s chicest bakeries, Lost Larson, to pay more than $2,000 to a former worker after a four-month investigation concluded that owner Bobby Schaffer and his team illegally fired a worker as retaliation for participating in organizing her workplace to raise concerns with management about wages and COVID safety measures.

https://chicago.eater.com/2022/4/26/230 ... ed-chicago

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more