LTH Home

Randolph Tavern- cancelled reservation?

Randolph Tavern- cancelled reservation?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Randolph Tavern- cancelled reservation?

Post #1 - June 3rd, 2018, 2:17 pm
    Post #1 - June 3rd, 2018, 2:17 pm Post #1 - June 3rd, 2018, 2:17 pm
    My in-laws made reservations for a pre-theater dinner at Randolph Tavern tonight. I’m not sure when they made the reservation, but the restaurant called them a couple hours before their reservation time and told them that because they didn’t get enough reservations for the night, the restaurant would be closing early and they were canceling their reservation.

I get the reason, but what a crappy thing to do to people. Is this normal for theater district restaurants? Is this place this mediocre that they couldn’t get enough reservations?

RANDOLPH TAVERN
    188 West Randolph Street
    Chicago, Illinois 60601
  • Post #2 - June 3rd, 2018, 2:56 pm
    Post #2 - June 3rd, 2018, 2:56 pm Post #2 - June 3rd, 2018, 2:56 pm
    This is unusual, though not unprecedented. That said, a little more lead time certainly would have been nice. The restaurant must know that when it cancels someone out that late in the game, those folks are likely never coming back, unless they are already very loyal patrons (and maybe not even if they are).

=R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #3 - June 4th, 2018, 6:11 am
    Post #3 - June 4th, 2018, 6:11 am Post #3 - June 4th, 2018, 6:11 am
    Apparently the thought hasn't occurred to them that cancelling reservations may be a CAUSE, not just a RESULT, of not getting enough reservations for the night.

Sounds like a restaurant that won't be around for long.
  • Post #4 - June 4th, 2018, 10:22 am
    Post #4 - June 4th, 2018, 10:22 am Post #4 - June 4th, 2018, 10:22 am
    When I was in high school, a friend and I decided to go to dinner and a play.

We made a reservation. When we arrived, we were the only guests. It turns out the person who took our reservation was not aware the restaurant was closed with seating beginning later. The owner never cancelled.

In the middle of this lovely dining room, we had our meal served by the owner. It was a wonderful experience for us. I admit it was also a bit daunting to dine in a public place absent of people and associated noises.

I'm sorry for your in-laws. The restaurant could have adjusted to a minimal crew to accommodate them and everyone else they cancelled.

Where did they end up?

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #5 - June 4th, 2018, 10:55 am
    Post #5 - June 4th, 2018, 10:55 am Post #5 - June 4th, 2018, 10:55 am
    This type of lack of commitment to business hours or operating obligations is not uncommon for this place. At least 3 times I had tried to swing by after working until 8pm on a Mon/Tue/Wedns to find out they had decided to close early.

They post their hours as open to 10pm, but decide to stop taking customers much earlier, like 8:30pm. People would be scattered inside (definitely not private parties, which they could easily post a sign on the door for), and the entrance would be locked.

They've managed to survive, as part of a group of bars (Jackson Tavern, Madison Tavern, pretty sure there are others I cannot recall), but the operation doesn't seem ambitious in terms of reliability.
  • Post #6 - June 4th, 2018, 11:01 am
    Post #6 - June 4th, 2018, 11:01 am Post #6 - June 4th, 2018, 11:01 am
    I feel like they make their money on happy hour and to a lesser extent lunch, especially when the weather is nice since they have sidewalk tables on Randolph and Wells. Unfortunately for them, there is a lot more competition in the Loop itself than a few years ago when they opened, so these reservation/operating hours shenanigans may come to bite them in the ass.
  • Post #7 - June 4th, 2018, 11:35 am
    Post #7 - June 4th, 2018, 11:35 am Post #7 - June 4th, 2018, 11:35 am
    From my few visits there for a quick beverage or lunch, I think they did your In-Laws a favor. :lol:
  • Post #8 - June 4th, 2018, 3:14 pm
    Post #8 - June 4th, 2018, 3:14 pm Post #8 - June 4th, 2018, 3:14 pm
    misterchico wrote:From my few visits there for a quick beverage or lunch, I think they did your In-Laws a favor. :lol:

Yeah, while it was incredibly rude of the restaurant to do, your folks can be happy in the knowledge they didn't miss much.
  • Post #9 - June 4th, 2018, 10:10 pm
    Post #9 - June 4th, 2018, 10:10 pm Post #9 - June 4th, 2018, 10:10 pm
    They ended up at The Dearborn and said it was really good.

The Dearborn
    145 North Dearborn Street
    Chicago, IL 60602

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events