LTH Home

Siam Splendor - Evanston Thai

Siam Splendor - Evanston Thai
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Siam Splendor - Evanston Thai

Post #1 - April 9th, 2018, 8:59 am
    Post #1 - April 9th, 2018, 8:59 am Post #1 - April 9th, 2018, 8:59 am
    We've been seeing more movies at Evanston's theaters lately, and noticed Siam Splendor on Emerson a couple weeks ago. Yes it's been discussed here a couple times, but doesn't have its own thread... until now.

The menu is pretty large, and not a trace of sushi (a pet peeve of mine: do one thing, do it well). I'd have been happier with a whole bunch of people so we could explore the menu more, but we chose one app, one noodle, one entree -- portions were pretty substantial, that was more than enough (we took a bit home).

Moo sarong are fried, noodle-wrapped pork meatballs. I'd read about them recently on the shesimmers blog, so I wanted to try them. The pork was light and delicate, no rubber balls here. The noodles crisp (although they didn't achieve optimum shape per shesimmers and there were some flyaways), and the homemade sauce thick for clinging to the noodles, and nice spice.

For noodles, we went with pad thai, to get a baseline for what this place can do. This was a very well balanced version, lighter than most -- not gloppy and orange like your average ameri-Thai places. I'd have liked a little cilantro, maybe, but otherwise really good.

For entree, Pad Ma Moung Him Ma Pan: chicken with cashew, dried chiles and onion. Very tasty (although I'd have liked it spicier: the server recommended medium, this barely had any heat at all). Nice salty-sweet sauce, plenty to scoop over rice.

I'll definitely be back, perhaps some of you will join me and we can explore the menu. There are a lot of fish-based dishes I know SueF won't be interested in, that I'd like to try.

Siam Splendour
    1125 Emerson St
    Evanston, IL 60201
    (between Oak Ave & Railroad Ave)
    Phone: (847) 492-1008
    http://www.siamsplendourevanston.com
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #2 - April 9th, 2018, 2:44 pm
    Post #2 - April 9th, 2018, 2:44 pm Post #2 - April 9th, 2018, 2:44 pm
    JoelF wrote:I'll definitely be back, perhaps some of you will join me and we can explore the menu.

Perhaps a joint Evanston Lunch Group / North Suburban Lunch Group lunch is in order? (The ELG went there seven years ago, which is quite a while...)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more