LTH Home

Where to eat lunch and watch Cubs games in/near Highwood

Where to eat lunch and watch Cubs games in/near Highwood
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Where to eat lunch and watch Cubs games in/near Highwood

Post #1 - April 3rd, 2018, 7:32 pm
    Post #1 - April 3rd, 2018, 7:32 pm Post #1 - April 3rd, 2018, 7:32 pm
    I'm looking for recommendations for places to eat lunch and watch Cubs day games in or near Highwood (Highland Park, Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, Deerfield, etc). Any suggestions? Good pizza would be great, but any good food and the Cubs on TV would be fine. Why aren't more good places in Highwood open for lunch?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #2 - April 4th, 2018, 7:37 am
    Post #2 - April 4th, 2018, 7:37 am Post #2 - April 4th, 2018, 7:37 am
    http://nortons-restaurant.com/ - good burgers and salads.

EC
    "At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom." George Carlin
  • Post #3 - April 4th, 2018, 9:16 am
    Post #3 - April 4th, 2018, 9:16 am Post #3 - April 4th, 2018, 9:16 am
    Tacos el Norte has a tv if you could get them to switch it from soccer. Inovasi has tv's in the bar which they would probably turn on for you. MLG in lake forest is ok and has tv's. They have a killer bloody mary (lobster, shrimp) but it is $20 unless you have the coupon for $10. Then there is always The Lantern......

-Will
  • Post #4 - April 4th, 2018, 10:34 am
    Post #4 - April 4th, 2018, 10:34 am Post #4 - April 4th, 2018, 10:34 am
    Player's Grill near the Highland Park Police Station would do.

Barnaby's Pizza has televisions with sports on it.

Doesn't Charlie Beinlich's have televisions tuned to sports?

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #5 - April 4th, 2018, 10:45 am
    Post #5 - April 4th, 2018, 10:45 am Post #5 - April 4th, 2018, 10:45 am
    If you're looking to go casual, both Buffo's in Highwood and Michael's in Highland Park are always open for lunch and will have TVs tuned to the Cubs. Buffo's has the benefit of pizza, as well. A burger and a beer (the latter being important if they don't start hitting...really?!? consecutive shutout losses to the Marlins and Reds) at the bar at Norton's with the game on isn't a bad way to pass time either. Other options for lunch and the Cubs in HP/Highwood include Beelow's, Real Urban BBQ, Marco's Northside Grill, and Mean Weiner.
  • Post #6 - April 4th, 2018, 12:55 pm
    Post #6 - April 4th, 2018, 12:55 pm Post #6 - April 4th, 2018, 12:55 pm
    The Lantern in Lake Forest, it's open during the day and they usually have the Cubs on if they're playing.

The Lantern
    768 N Western Ave
    Lake Forest, IL 60045
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #7 - April 4th, 2018, 1:27 pm
    Post #7 - April 4th, 2018, 1:27 pm Post #7 - April 4th, 2018, 1:27 pm
    Norton's, Michael's, Back Yard Grill, "Real" Urban BBQ in HP as others have mentioned. Just to add a little more info...
    - The Lantern in Lake Forest for sure. Great char grilled burgers but don't get a 1/4 one, go a little bigger. Plenty of TVs.
    - Buffo's but their food is average at best and I say that as a local who has eaten there since 1979. The pizza is their own recipe but it almost gets worse as it cools. Once in a blue moon I'll go back and just about every time I walk out wondering why I did. They have a few TVs that are adequate.
    - Barnaby's is one of my favorites of course for pizza, but they have surprisingly good menu items as well. But the TVs are an afterthought and are small.
    - Rosati's Pizza and Pub in Bannockburn has a ton of TVs which is unusual for us around here :) but the problem is their food isn't anything special.
    - Fuddrucker's in Northbrook has a lot of TVs in their new restaurant. If you like their food (I don't think it's half bad), this will be ok. TVs are high up.
    - Culver's in Lincolnshire might have TVs but I haven't been to it yet.
    - Marco's Northside Grill in Highwood has really good food and TV's (plus a bar).
    - I think Miramar in Highwood has a TV in the bar and their food is great.

I think Barnaby's is missing the boat. They should possibly relocate or renovate to have more of a modern feel with a bunch of big TVs which would probably draw even more people during their slower times later at night. I guess they don't need to...
  • Post #8 - April 5th, 2018, 1:28 pm
    Post #8 - April 5th, 2018, 1:28 pm Post #8 - April 5th, 2018, 1:28 pm
    Got another one for you - Il Forno Pizzeria on Old Elm just west of the train tracks and Sheridan Rd. They will definitely have the game on and it's an old favorite pizza of mine. They do monster slices at lunchtime. There is a nicer location in downtown behind Whole Foods Deerfield with a slightly different recipe (very slight, definitely less cheesy) and they have the game on too.
  • Post #9 - April 5th, 2018, 4:28 pm
    Post #9 - April 5th, 2018, 4:28 pm Post #9 - April 5th, 2018, 4:28 pm
    Thanks to you all for the suggestions; I'm researching them all. I had an idea of my own too, not too far away: The Silo.

I am pleasantly surprised by the Il Forno suggestion. Its location is perfect for my purposes, but I didn't realize it was an eat-in place. I thought it was carry-out/delivery only. I vaguely recall checking their website and not getting the impression it was dine-in. I'll check it out.

I'll also be checking out Norton's, the Lantern, Players, Rosati's, and the others suggested.

If the Barnaby's mentioned is the one in Northbrook, I am a fan, although it is a little on the far edge of the radius I had in mind and, from what I remember, doesn't seeem like a place to watch a Cubs game. I could be wrong.

I wonder about Buffo's; it seems it's been going since I was in high school, so aren't they doing something right? But the reviews, here and elsewhere, are not strong. Guess there's only one way to find out for sure.

There are several other places in Highwood I wish I could put on my lunch-and-Cubs list, but they don't open until 4 or 5 pm.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #10 - April 5th, 2018, 5:12 pm
    Post #10 - April 5th, 2018, 5:12 pm Post #10 - April 5th, 2018, 5:12 pm
    WillG wrote:MLG in lake forest is ok and has tv's. They have a killer bloody mary (lobster, shrimp) but it is $20 unless you have the coupon for $10.

Katie,

I just got their coupon in the mail, which usually gets tossed. I will hold it for you, if you want it.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #11 - April 5th, 2018, 10:11 pm
    Post #11 - April 5th, 2018, 10:11 pm Post #11 - April 5th, 2018, 10:11 pm
    Thanks, Cathy!
  • Post #12 - April 6th, 2018, 11:58 am
    Post #12 - April 6th, 2018, 11:58 am Post #12 - April 6th, 2018, 11:58 am
    Katie wrote:Thanks to you all for the suggestions; I'm researching them all. I had an idea of my own too, not too far away: The Silo.

I wonder about Buffo's; it seems it's been going since I was in high school, so aren't they doing something right? But the reviews, here and elsewhere, are not strong. Guess there's only one way to find out for sure.

I was going to mention The Silo, but I always think going north is farther away (just an old mind set of always heading south). It's not that far at all.

Buffo's is for kids, and people who are not really foodies and are ok with eating anything. A lot of blue collar type guys will eat there. They like they can get some beers, watch a game and hang out. The food is an afterthought. Once in a while I have a taste for their pizza (I admit I grew up with it) and I'll get an 8 inch one that is still reasonably priced. They also have the newspaper there to read.

I work from home in Highland Park, so your lunch options are mine too if I stay close to home. I usually go down to Skokie to meet my brother for lunch if I go out. We like to hit Pequod.
  • Post #13 - April 6th, 2018, 7:48 pm
    Post #13 - April 6th, 2018, 7:48 pm Post #13 - April 6th, 2018, 7:48 pm
    I had lunch today at Michael's and noticed that there are a lot of TV's around the eating area. I'm sure one of them will have the Cubs game on. Food is great. It's way more than just hot dogs.

Michael's
    1879 2nd St
    Highland Park, IL 60035

http://michaelshotdogs.com/
  • Post #14 - April 8th, 2018, 10:20 pm
    Post #14 - April 8th, 2018, 10:20 pm Post #14 - April 8th, 2018, 10:20 pm
    lougord99 wrote:I had lunch today at Michael's and noticed that there are a lot of TV's around the eating area. I'm sure one of them will have the Cubs game on. Food is great. It's way more than just hot dogs.

Michael's
    1879 2nd St
    Highland Park, IL 60035

http://michaelshotdogs.com/

I've been going to Michael's since it was originally called Nathan's and had a handful of stools with no tables. Much has changed (including their hot dog vendors numerous times). They do a decent char burger that I like to get.
  • Post #15 - April 9th, 2018, 3:37 pm
    Post #15 - April 9th, 2018, 3:37 pm Post #15 - April 9th, 2018, 3:37 pm
    Hi,

Lunch today at Mean Weiner in Highwood. There is exactly one television with the sound off. You could potentially contemplate the Cubs while eating lunch.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #16 - April 12th, 2018, 6:02 pm
    Post #16 - April 12th, 2018, 6:02 pm Post #16 - April 12th, 2018, 6:02 pm
    Ram4 wrote:I think Barnaby's is missing the boat. They should possibly relocate or renovate to have more of a modern feel with a bunch of big TVs which would probably draw even more people during their slower times later at night. I guess they don't need to...

Blasphemy!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more