LTH Home

Openings, Closings, Comings & Goings - 2018

Openings, Closings, Comings & Goings - 2018
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 14 of 18
  • Post #391 - July 31st, 2018, 8:31 pm
    Post #391 - July 31st, 2018, 8:31 pm Post #391 - July 31st, 2018, 8:31 pm
    scottsol wrote:
    LPython wrote:[updated]We have it on good authority (the proprietor's) that there is a South African barbecue place, Baobab BBQ, opening in the long-shuttered Dorado space on Foster at Oakley in Lincoln Square.

    Baobab BBQ
    2301 W Foster Ave.
    https://www.baobabbbq.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Baobabbbq/


    I hope they smoke their meats with more attention to detail than they do their website:

    2301 North Foster Avenue
    Chicago, IL, 60625
    United States

    Sadly, they don't. Pellet smoker. Nothing to see here. :(

    =R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #392 - July 31st, 2018, 9:25 pm
    Post #392 - July 31st, 2018, 9:25 pm Post #392 - July 31st, 2018, 9:25 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Pellet smoker. Nothing to see here. :(

    I'd venture its the cook not the cooker. I used a pellet cooker, pair of fast eddies by cookshack, at Barn & co to pretty darn good effect. Took me a while to dial it in but settled on pellets from a company in Arkansas and supplemented the smoke with mojobricks. Quality meats, spices, technique and a healthy does of obsession are key.

    As an aside, most who use pellet cookers, or most commercial cookers for that matter, just set it and forget it resulting in not so wonderful BBQ. Though, as I'm sure you have experienced, having a wood fired cooker such as an Aquarium does in no way guarantee tasty BBQ.

    There are lots of expectations, for example Smoque, which uses Southern Pride cookers, does a wonderful job with BBQ. Quality meat, spices and technique, plus a healthy does of obsession are key.

    Once again, its the cook not the cooker.

    My 2 pennies on the subject.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #393 - July 31st, 2018, 9:40 pm
    Post #393 - July 31st, 2018, 9:40 pm Post #393 - July 31st, 2018, 9:40 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Pellet smoker. Nothing to see here. :(

    I'd venture its the cook not the cooker. I used a pellet cooker, pair of fast eddies by cookshack, at Barn & co to pretty darn good effect. Took me a while to dial it in but settled on pellets from a company in Arkansas and supplemented the smoke with mojobricks. Quality meats, spices, technique and a healthy does of obsession are key.

    As an aside, most who use pellet cookers, or most commercial cookers for that matter, just set it and forget it resulting in not so wonderful BBQ. Though, as I'm sure you have experienced, having a wood fired cooker such as an Aquarium does in no way guarantee tasty BBQ.

    There are lots of expectations, for example Smoque, which uses Southern Pride cookers, does a wonderful job with BBQ. Quality meat, spices and technique, plus a healthy does of obsession are key.

    Once again, its the cook not the cooker.

    My 2 pennies on the subject.

    Gary,

    I think you're the exception that proves the rule when it comes to pellet smokers. It takes someone with your level of expertise to produce desirable results on one. In fact you're the only person I know who's produced appetizing bbq on a true pellet smoker. So yes, it can be done by someone with a mess of skill but that's just not very common. More likely, these rigs are being run by someone who has very little skill or experience, and has chosen one for that very reason. I'd also posit that any experienced cook would produce superior product on just about any other smoker than a pellet smoker, all other factors being equal.

    =R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #394 - August 2nd, 2018, 8:37 am
    Post #394 - August 2nd, 2018, 8:37 am Post #394 - August 2nd, 2018, 8:37 am
    A year and a half after Three Aces closed on Taylor Street and chef Matt Troost is embarking on a comeback in River North. The chef, who was also behind the rustic pastas at Charlatan in West Town, is opening Good Measure on Thursday inside the former Bistro Voltaire space at 226 W. Chicago Avenue.

    https://chicago.eater.com/2018/8/1/1764 ... -charlatan
    "At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom." George Carlin
  • Post #395 - August 2nd, 2018, 1:41 pm
    Post #395 - August 2nd, 2018, 1:41 pm Post #395 - August 2nd, 2018, 1:41 pm
    Allegory will open in former Heaven on Seven location in Naperville. What to do with 3,600 bottles of hot sauce!

    http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/naperville-sun/news/ct-nvs-heaven-on-seven-restaurant-st-0608-story.html

    janeyb wrote:Heaven on Seven in Naperville, closed as of yesterday...

    224 S Main St, Naperville, IL 60540
    Phone: (630) 717-0777


    I have a family member who worked here and I was talking with GM and staff New Year's Eve.
    https://www.facebook.com/heavenonsevenn ... MQ&fref=nf
  • Post #396 - August 4th, 2018, 8:43 am
    Post #396 - August 4th, 2018, 8:43 am Post #396 - August 4th, 2018, 8:43 am
    Jason Paskewitz, who found himself without a chef gig after Pearl Brasserie was sold out from under him, has landed at Marchesa (535 N. Wells St.), where he will be executive chef.

    http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct ... story.html
    "At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom." George Carlin
  • Post #397 - August 6th, 2018, 7:15 am
    Post #397 - August 6th, 2018, 7:15 am Post #397 - August 6th, 2018, 7:15 am
    The long-awaited Funkenhausen, by chef Mark Steuer (The Bedford, Carriage House, Mindy’s Hot Chocolate) has an opening date at last. Funkenhausen (1709 W. Chicago Ave.) will open its doors Aug. 10.

    http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct ... story.html
    "At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom." George Carlin
  • Post #398 - August 7th, 2018, 5:36 am
    Post #398 - August 7th, 2018, 5:36 am Post #398 - August 7th, 2018, 5:36 am
    Sugar Hills bakery in the Addison/Elston shopping complex is papered over.
  • Post #399 - August 7th, 2018, 7:50 am
    Post #399 - August 7th, 2018, 7:50 am Post #399 - August 7th, 2018, 7:50 am
    Apparently there's some pent-up demand for fast food subs in the area. Cousins opening 40 locations:

    http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html
  • Post #400 - August 7th, 2018, 10:15 am
    Post #400 - August 7th, 2018, 10:15 am Post #400 - August 7th, 2018, 10:15 am
    Drover wrote:Sugar Hills bakery in the Addison/Elston shopping complex is papered over.

    Noooooo
    Dammit!! That was my go-to!! I was just there a couple weekends ago too.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
    Read "Cooking for One" at Literary Orphans via my author page.

    Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #401 - August 7th, 2018, 10:32 am
    Post #401 - August 7th, 2018, 10:32 am Post #401 - August 7th, 2018, 10:32 am
    Pie Lady wrote:
    Drover wrote:Sugar Hills bakery in the Addison/Elston shopping complex is papered over.

    Noooooo
    Dammit!! That was my go-to!! I was just there a couple weekends ago too.

    Papered over doesn't necessarily mean closed permanently.

    =R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #402 - August 7th, 2018, 11:23 am
    Post #402 - August 7th, 2018, 11:23 am Post #402 - August 7th, 2018, 11:23 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Pie Lady wrote:
    Drover wrote:Sugar Hills bakery in the Addison/Elston shopping complex is papered over.

    Noooooo
    Dammit!! That was my go-to!! I was just there a couple weekends ago too.

    Papered over doesn't necessarily mean closed permanently.

    =R=

    Mr. Google indicates permanently closed.
    "At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom." George Carlin
  • Post #403 - August 7th, 2018, 11:41 am
    Post #403 - August 7th, 2018, 11:41 am Post #403 - August 7th, 2018, 11:41 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Pie Lady wrote:
    Drover wrote:Sugar Hills bakery in the Addison/Elston shopping complex is papered over.

    Noooooo
    Dammit!! That was my go-to!! I was just there a couple weekends ago too.

    Papered over doesn't necessarily mean closed permanently.

    Here's more context.
    https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/07/31/avondale-bakeries-vanishing-as-third-shop-shutters-it-brings-the-whole-neighborhood-down
    TLDR; Avondale is done, ambiguity as to whether their suburban locations were still operating, but if so, they're unaffected.
  • Post #404 - August 7th, 2018, 12:10 pm
    Post #404 - August 7th, 2018, 12:10 pm Post #404 - August 7th, 2018, 12:10 pm
    Drover wrote:https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/07/31/avondale-bakeries-vanishing-as-third-shop-shutters-it-brings-the-whole-neighborhood-down
    TLDR; Avondale is done, ambiguity as to whether their suburban locations were still operating, but if so, they're unaffected.

    They had such a cute cafe area too. This is depressing.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
    Read "Cooking for One" at Literary Orphans via my author page.

    Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #405 - August 7th, 2018, 12:29 pm
    Post #405 - August 7th, 2018, 12:29 pm Post #405 - August 7th, 2018, 12:29 pm
    We liked Sugar Hills cafe area for a quick lunch while shopping. They will be missed.
  • Post #406 - August 7th, 2018, 4:18 pm
    Post #406 - August 7th, 2018, 4:18 pm Post #406 - August 7th, 2018, 4:18 pm
    bweiny wrote:TLDR; Avondale is done, ambiguity as to whether their suburban locations were still operating, but if so, they're unaffected.


    As far as I know, both locations are closed. They have taken down all their social media as well.
  • Post #407 - August 7th, 2018, 4:34 pm
    Post #407 - August 7th, 2018, 4:34 pm Post #407 - August 7th, 2018, 4:34 pm
    Murphy's Red Hots is closing on the 18th, per the owner and the big sign out front. The building is going to be replaced with residential units.

    1211 West Belmont
    Chicago, IL 60657
  • Post #408 - August 7th, 2018, 4:45 pm
    Post #408 - August 7th, 2018, 4:45 pm Post #408 - August 7th, 2018, 4:45 pm
    StevenStern wrote:Murphy's Red Hots is closing on the 18th, per the owner and the big sign out front. The building is going to be replaced with residential units.

    1211 West Belmont
    Chicago, IL 60657


    Another great hot dog stand bites the dust. Sad.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #409 - August 10th, 2018, 9:13 am
    Post #409 - August 10th, 2018, 9:13 am Post #409 - August 10th, 2018, 9:13 am
    On the way home from O’hare at 3 am, went past a storefront on Lawrence, across-ish from Great Sea, with a sign that read “Great Sea Lollipop Wings”. Didn’t get the address, thought I was hallucinating, but my Lyft driver said he saw a sign, too! I might ride my bike past later today to scope it out/confirm.
  • Post #410 - August 13th, 2018, 2:02 pm
    Post #410 - August 13th, 2018, 2:02 pm Post #410 - August 13th, 2018, 2:02 pm
    pocketcontents wrote:On the way home from O’hare at 3 am, went past a storefront on Lawrence, across-ish from Great Sea, with a sign that read “Great Sea Lollipop Wings”. Didn’t get the address, thought I was hallucinating, but my Lyft driver said he saw a sign, too! I might ride my bike past later today to scope it out/confirm.

    Good eye. They're moving across the street. Will be at 3253 W Lawrence on the south side of the street.
    http://chicago.eater.com/2018/8/13/17683760/great-sea-chinese-restaurant-lollipop-wings-albany-park-moving-new-location
  • Post #411 - August 14th, 2018, 9:42 am
    Post #411 - August 14th, 2018, 9:42 am Post #411 - August 14th, 2018, 9:42 am
    EddieK wrote:
    the far northern suburbs are where good ethnic food goes to die. Sadly, he seemed to be right. I spoke with a person who worked at both the downtown Chicago and Gurnee locations who said the pizzas were "different."


    pretty liberal use of "ethnic" describing American + Chicago style pizza. Neither of which is Italian.

    Likely more of an issue of being a franchise.
  • Post #412 - August 14th, 2018, 9:47 am
    Post #412 - August 14th, 2018, 9:47 am Post #412 - August 14th, 2018, 9:47 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Pellet smoker. Nothing to see here. :(

    I'd venture its the cook not the cooker. I used a pellet cooker, pair of fast eddies by cookshack, at Barn & co to pretty darn good effect. Took me a while to dial it in but settled on pellets from a company in Arkansas and supplemented the smoke with mojobricks. Quality meats, spices, technique and a healthy does of obsession are key.

    As an aside, most who use pellet cookers, or most commercial cookers for that matter, just set it and forget it resulting in not so wonderful BBQ. Though, as I'm sure you have experienced, having a wood fired cooker such as an Aquarium does in no way guarantee tasty BBQ.

    There are lots of expectations, for example Smoque, which uses Southern Pride cookers, does a wonderful job with BBQ. Quality meat, spices and technique, plus a healthy does of obsession are key.

    Once again, its the cook not the cooker.

    My 2 pennies on the subject.

    Gary,

    I think you're the exception that proves the rule when it comes to pellet smokers. It takes someone with your level of expertise to produce desirable results on one. In fact you're the only person I know who's produced appetizing bbq on a true pellet smoker. So yes, it can be done by someone with a mess of skill but that's just not very common. More likely, these rigs are being run by someone who has very little skill or experience, and has chosen one for that very reason. I'd also posit that any experienced cook would produce superior product on just about any other smoker than a pellet smoker, all other factors being equal.

    =R=


    I also have no issues with pellet smoking. Pellets are wood. Unless it's bad wood, you're still getting the good flavor and color, same as anything else. It's less work, for sure, to keep it the perfect temperature and amount of smoke.
  • Post #413 - August 14th, 2018, 9:58 am
    Post #413 - August 14th, 2018, 9:58 am Post #413 - August 14th, 2018, 9:58 am
    Chitown B wrote:I also have no issues with pellet smoking. Pellets are wood. Unless it's bad wood, you're still getting the good flavor and color, same as anything else. It's less work, for sure, to keep it the perfect temperature and amount of smoke.

    I believe Real Urban BBQ in Highland Park uses pellets. Their BBQ does not have any wood smoke flavor. It's where the sauce is boss, because that's where the flavor may be.

    It is entirely possible they have perfected their craft and it has improved. I just haven't checked in years.

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #414 - August 14th, 2018, 10:39 am
    Post #414 - August 14th, 2018, 10:39 am Post #414 - August 14th, 2018, 10:39 am
    I finally gave up on RUB so I don’t know from experience, but I hear it still very popular with the people who liked it in the first place.
    One thing to keep in mind about all this is that while G Wiv used a pellet smoker at Barn and Company, he was hired after all the equipment was installed. I suspect things would have been different if he had been there from the start.
  • Post #415 - August 14th, 2018, 11:28 am
    Post #415 - August 14th, 2018, 11:28 am Post #415 - August 14th, 2018, 11:28 am
    RUB is popular, no question.

    Barn and Company lucked out having an obsessive guy like Gary who would move mountains to get the BBQ right with the pellet burner. He could - and probably does - teach others how to make it happen.

    Honey 1 had lots of problems with neighbors complaining about the smoke odor. They spent a lot of money for an air scrubber. I will fathom a guess using the pellet smoker may offer benefits related to keeping the odor down (or perhaps cheaper to control)?

    Rehashing history ... :)

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #416 - August 14th, 2018, 11:31 am
    Post #416 - August 14th, 2018, 11:31 am Post #416 - August 14th, 2018, 11:31 am
    scottsol wrote:One thing to keep in mind about all this is that while G Wiv used a pellet smoker at Barn and Company, he was hired after all the equipment was installed. I suspect things would have been different if he had been there from the start.
    This is true, though its a poor carpenter that blames the hammer. It took a while but by switching my source of pellets, adding Mojobricks to the firebox and working on timing I arrived at a respectable product. Though anyone who wants to be good at something is always tweaking, dialing in, striving to be better.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #417 - August 14th, 2018, 12:15 pm
    Post #417 - August 14th, 2018, 12:15 pm Post #417 - August 14th, 2018, 12:15 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I believe Real Urban BBQ in Highland Park uses pellets. Their BBQ does not have any wood smoke flavor. It's where the sauce is boss, because that's where the flavor may be.

    It is entirely possible they have perfected their craft and it has improved. I just haven't checked in years.

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Correct on everything you said. I have no idea if they got any better as I haven't set foot in any of them in years. I did like some of their sauces and sides, but if you have to rely on sauce because your meat doesn't have much flavor, that can be a problem. I want to smell smoked meat when I walk in a BBQ joint.
  • Post #418 - August 14th, 2018, 1:32 pm
    Post #418 - August 14th, 2018, 1:32 pm Post #418 - August 14th, 2018, 1:32 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Honey 1 had lots of problems with neighbors complaining about the smoke odor. They spent a lot of money for an air scrubber. I will fathom a guess using the pellet smoker may offer benefits related to keeping the odor down (or perhaps cheaper to control)?


    Can confirm, I live practically in Baobab BBQ's back yard (try saying that 10 times fast) and mostly what I smell from them is regular restaurant cooking smells. On the other hand, my neighbor is an amateur BBQist and when he smokes meat, it's a keep-all-the-windows-closed-so-the-house-doesn't-smell-like-a-campfire experience.
    "If this sauce was a person, I'd get naked and make love to it." - Sophia Petrillo, The Golden Girls
  • Post #419 - August 14th, 2018, 1:41 pm
    Post #419 - August 14th, 2018, 1:41 pm Post #419 - August 14th, 2018, 1:41 pm
    LPython wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:Honey 1 had lots of problems with neighbors complaining about the smoke odor. They spent a lot of money for an air scrubber. I will fathom a guess using the pellet smoker may offer benefits related to keeping the odor down (or perhaps cheaper to control)?


    Can confirm, I live practically in Baobab BBQ's back yard (try saying that 10 times fast) and mostly what I smell from them is regular restaurant cooking smells. On the other hand, my neighbor is an amateur BBQist and when he smokes meat, it's a keep-all-the-windows-closed-so-the-house-doesn't-smell-like-a-campfire experience.


    That's my own favorite kind of neighbor. Hardwood combustion wears well as a domestic scent, as long as it's not being generated by the active conflagration of the domus.
  • Post #420 - August 14th, 2018, 3:06 pm
    Post #420 - August 14th, 2018, 3:06 pm Post #420 - August 14th, 2018, 3:06 pm
    That Little Mexican Café II on Bryn Mawr in Edgewater has closed. From their Facebook page:

    We would like to inform the general public that unfortunately, our Bryn Mawr location will NOT re-open. We truly apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and would like to thank from the bottom of our hearts all our customers, staff and friends for being part of That Little Mexican Café II for more than 10 years in the Edgewater community.


    This has also been reported on Edgeville Buzz.

    They direct patrons to the Evanston location at 1010 Church Street. This is unfortunate for the neighborhood. Decent food, good margs.
    -Mary

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more