LTH Home

Next! 2018 Dinners Announced

Next! 2018 Dinners Announced
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Next! 2018 Dinners Announced

Post #1 - November 28th, 2017, 10:28 am
    Post #1 - November 28th, 2017, 10:28 am Post #1 - November 28th, 2017, 10:28 am
    Season Ticket Release Schedule:

Our Season Tickets for 2018 will be going on sale to the public this Friday, December 1st at 10 AM.

We will open Season Ticket Renewals tomorrow - Wednesday, November 29th at 11 AM. You must first Log-In here: https://next.tocktix.com/login with the same email you used to purchase 2017 Season Tickets. Once signed in, you'll see Season Tickets for 2018 before anyone else. We've made further improvements to the purchase interface and expect that it'll be a smooth experience!
    2018 Next Menus

Next was founded to explore the world of cuisine -- by location, time, or perhaps even emotion and nostalgia. Over the past 6 years we have presented 21 different menus, representing cuisines from around the globe. We’ve also played with our food during Chidlhood, went on The Hunt, and took inspiration from our favorite movies.

For 2018 we’ve decided to take a deep dive into two cuisines we know very well. Instead of breadth of exploration we’re going for a new level of understanding… and a new format. Next is, after all, designed to constantly change.

From January until June we will juxtapose two styles of French cuisine. From July to January we will present a once in a lifetime retrospective of the first decade of Alinea. Four menus in all instead of three, in 2018 we push Next to the limit.

We are pleased to announce the 2018 Next Menus:

French: from Classique to Nouvelle

Our first two menus will focus on the of the evolution of French cuisine and technique. Drawing inspiration from the myriad local traditions and preparations, our first menu will highlight classical dishes with hearty ingredients and presentations. Perfect comfort food for the cold Chicago winter, it will form the historical basis of part deux of our French study.

January 20 - April 1
    Pricing: $135 to $165

In April, many of those same dishes will be presented as Nouvelle cuisine in an entirely new menu. Refined, pared down, plated more formally with more luxury, The Nouvelle cuisine of France extends until today. This is the unchained French menu we’ve always wanted to present.

April 7 - June 24
    Pricing: $155 to $185

*Prices exclude beverages, service and tax. At this time, we are unable to accommodate dietary restrictions with our menus.

Alinea: 2005-2015

In 2014, Grant asked Nick what we should do to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Alinea. His response? Get out a sledge hammer, knock down the walls, and start over. That’s just what they did.

Alinea reopened after an extensive renovation in May of 2016. But that remodel was not confined to the 4 walls and the kitchen -- every dish from the first 10 years was abandoned or rethought.

The second half of Next in 2018 will be dedicated to our retrospective from Alinea’s first decade. More than just a greatest hits, it’s intended to be a study on the evolution of the restaurant and a chance to revisit some of our favorite, delicious innovations.

Alinea 2005-2010 will be offered from June 30 - September 30
    Pricing: $205 to $225

Alinea 2011-2015 will be offered from October 6 - January 13, 2019
    Pricing: $205 to $225

*Prices exclude beverages, service and tax. At this time, we are unable to accommodate dietary restrictions with our menus.

Wine and beverage pairings are available for all four menus.

Wait, there's more:
    Since we are offering four distinct menus in 2018, Season Ticket Holders will receive discounts between $40 and $80 per person per package from regular bookings.

Additionally, this year Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday reservations will be priced up to 20% less than the weekends. This is our way of thanking our loyal customers, many of whom have come to all 21 of our menus since 2011… and to welcome newcomers to the Next experience.

When purchasing Season Tickets, simply choose from the Friday & Saturday Package or the Wednesday, Thursday, & Sunday Package.

2018 promises to be a decadent year at Next. We cannot wait.
    "People are too busy in these times to care about good food. We used to spend months working over a bonne-femme sauce, trying to determine just the right proportions of paprika and fresh forest mushrooms to use." -Karoly Gundel, Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Peregrinations of an Epicure, Joseph Wechsberg, 1954.
  • Post #2 - November 28th, 2017, 12:38 pm
    Post #2 - November 28th, 2017, 12:38 pm Post #2 - November 28th, 2017, 12:38 pm
    Running out of ideas.
  • Post #3 - November 28th, 2017, 2:03 pm
    Post #3 - November 28th, 2017, 2:03 pm Post #3 - November 28th, 2017, 2:03 pm
    I was thinking the same thing.

Although I am supremely bummed I missed the Paris menu and will definitely pencil in one of these french dinners.

The retrospect on Alinea - I am curious if these themes (El Bulli, Top 50, etc...) are big sellers. Obviously fun options for diehard fans but trying to think about what would be an easier sell to a family member or girlfriend who is not married to Alinea.

All options still provide some sort of meal you can't get elsewhere (depending on who you are) which keeps me still somewhat interested.

Also, I think I detected a tinge of LCD Soundsystem in the tail end of the video. Which is nice. Man.
  • Post #4 - November 28th, 2017, 6:17 pm
    Post #4 - November 28th, 2017, 6:17 pm Post #4 - November 28th, 2017, 6:17 pm
    jpeac2 wrote:I was thinking the same thing.

Although I am supremely bummed I missed the Paris menu and will definitely pencil in one of these french dinners.

The retrospect on Alinea - I am curious if these themes (El Bulli, Top 50, etc...) are big sellers. Obviously fun options for diehard fans but trying to think about what would be an easier sell to a family member or girlfriend who is not married to Alinea.

All options still provide some sort of meal you can't get elsewhere (depending on who you are) which keeps me still somewhat interested.

Also, I think I detected a tinge of LCD Soundsystem in the tail end of the video. Which is nice. Man.

If Next's aspiration at this point is simply providing a time machine to fond moments in storied Chicago kitchens, I nominate Tacos del Pacifico.

Or Xni-Pec. E.W. Rieck's?
  • Post #5 - November 29th, 2017, 1:04 pm
    Post #5 - November 29th, 2017, 1:04 pm Post #5 - November 29th, 2017, 1:04 pm
    If Next's aspiration at this point is simply providing a time machine to fond moments in storied Chicago kitchens, I nominate Tacos del Pacifico.

Not sure you’re thinking big enough.........Hoagie Hut 1993!!!!!
    "Living well is the best revenge"
  • Post #6 - December 8th, 2017, 6:40 pm
    Post #6 - December 8th, 2017, 6:40 pm Post #6 - December 8th, 2017, 6:40 pm
    They didn't have to look far for inspiration; it's right here on the website:

Skokie restaurants circa 1970
    "Barbecue sauce is like a beautiful woman. If it’s too sweet, it’s bound to be hiding something."
    — Lyle Lovett

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray
  • Post #7 - April 2nd, 2018, 1:15 pm
    Post #7 - April 2nd, 2018, 1:15 pm Post #7 - April 2nd, 2018, 1:15 pm
    Anyone been to any of the French dinners?

Thinking about taking a swing at one and would love to hear any feedback.
  • Post #8 - July 20th, 2018, 9:53 am
    Post #8 - July 20th, 2018, 9:53 am Post #8 - July 20th, 2018, 9:53 am
    Has anyone done the H Alinea 2005-2010?
    I didnt have enough success in life to get to Alinea in the early years, though always watched from afar, wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this newest iteration of Next....

Thanks!
  • Post #9 - October 5th, 2018, 12:33 pm
    Post #9 - October 5th, 2018, 12:33 pm Post #9 - October 5th, 2018, 12:33 pm
    After twice being named a James Beard Foundation Award finalist for Rising Star Chef of the Year, Jenner Tomaska is out at Alinea Group’s decorated Next Restaurant.

https://chicago.eater.com/2018/10/5/179 ... inea-group
    "At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom." George Carlin

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more