LTH Home

Daisies - Logan Square Pasta Restaurant

Daisies - Logan Square Pasta Restaurant
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Daisies - Logan Square Pasta Restaurant

Post #1 - November 20th, 2017, 11:34 am
    Post #1 - November 20th, 2017, 11:34 am Post #1 - November 20th, 2017, 11:34 am
    While this place was covered in the openings thread, my dinner at Daisies this weekend was good enough to suggest the need for a separate thread. My wife and I arrived there at 8:30 after a warm-up at Websters Wine Bar down the street. The place was packed, and loud, but in an energetic way.

The menu isn't huge, and is clearly focused on modern vegetable-centric starters and pastas. There are two mains as well as a special or two, but we stuck to the core. Not everything was perfect, but everything was at least very interesting, which makes me want to try more. Our meal:

Carrot rillettes were essentially diced cooked carrots with a dose of duck fat. They were ok, but suffered following a snack of real rillettes at Websters. What did rock were the pickled carrots on the side. These were sliced thin and cooked to the texture of noodles with a vinegar punch. I would love to recreate these at home.

Raw butternut squash salad with brown butter was our favorite dish. The waiter, who was very engaging, noted that it was a specific heirloom breed of squash (which she also helped us find online for the garden next year) that made the dish work texture-wise. The crunchy and sweet squash held up to rich brown butter. Very interesting idea.

For mains, my wife enjoyed the very beet-y beet agnolotti, which I passed on trying as I am not particularly fond of the vegetable. I had the homemade tajarin, which was a lovely rich pasta accented with chicken cracklings turned to breadcrumbs. It was very nice, if a bit rich.

The wine list is also unusual, as it is all US-based wine but not the usual suspects: Ohio, New York, Illinois and Michigan all sat beside California, Oregon and Washington. Styles and grapes varied as well: who pours a skin-contact trousseau gris by the glass? We ended up with a red blend from Cruse in California which was very nice and interesting to try since we usually drink more European wines.

All, in a very nice spot and one I plan to revisit soon.

Daisies
    2523 N Milwaukee Ave
    Chicago, IL 60647
    (773) 661-1671
    daisieschicago.com

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles