LTH Home

Mother Cluckers, Elston Ave

Mother Cluckers, Elston Ave
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Mother Cluckers, Elston Ave

Post #1 - November 13th, 2017, 3:27 pm
    Post #1 - November 13th, 2017, 3:27 pm Post #1 - November 13th, 2017, 3:27 pm
    After reading BR's post in the Best Fried Chicken Chicagoland thread, and a conversation with Steve Z, I tried Mother Cluckers Broaster chicken.

Mother Cluckers was clean, fast, friendly, inexpensive with a parking lot. Broaster chicken was verging on crisp, juicy, slightly greasy, solid B. Reminded me of KFC back when KFC was edible. I'll be back, not in any great hurry but I liked the overall package for a quick easy in-out lunch.

MotherCluckersInsta1.JPG Mother Cluckers Broaster Chicken

Mother Cluckers Kitchen
    5200 N Elston Ave
    Chicago, IL 60630
    773-685-4630
    http://www.mothercluckerskitchen.com
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #2 - November 14th, 2017, 4:17 pm
    Post #2 - November 14th, 2017, 4:17 pm Post #2 - November 14th, 2017, 4:17 pm
    Thanks for your review of Mother Cluckers Gary. What makes me not want to try this place is the owners condescending reply's to some of the not so positive yelp reviews. It seems this guy doesn't understand the customer service industry and by his reply's seems somewhat of a passive aggressive personality. I do not have any input on the food of this business but by the tone of the reply's by the owner (or business mgr.) on the yelp reviews I will not be running toward this business anytime soon.

Yelp reviews:
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/mother-clucker ... =date_desc
  • Post #3 - November 14th, 2017, 5:08 pm
    Post #3 - November 14th, 2017, 5:08 pm Post #3 - November 14th, 2017, 5:08 pm
    So, thanks to a recommendation from shakes, I tried Mother Clucker's again last week. I found the chicken to be 100% better than the overcooked, desiccated bird I got when they first opened. Evidently, they've signed on with the Broaster folks and are an official Broasted Chicken® outlet.

I found the chicken to be juicy and a little greasy (in a good way). Although the crust could have been a little crisper, it had a good taste. I had hush puppies (decent, but not earth shattering) and cole slaw (unusual, but good) as my sides. I ordered greens, but they were out and slaw was substituted. I'll definitely be going back...especially since Mother Clucker's is walking distance from my house. Thanks for the heads up, shakes.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #4 - November 15th, 2017, 11:15 am
    Post #4 - November 15th, 2017, 11:15 am Post #4 - November 15th, 2017, 11:15 am
    polster wrote:Thanks for your review of Mother Cluckers Gary. What makes me not want to try this place is the owners condescending reply's to some of the not so positive yelp reviews. It seems this guy doesn't understand the customer service industry and by his reply's seems somewhat of a passive aggressive personality. I do not have any input on the food of this business but by the tone of the reply's by the owner (or business mgr.) on the yelp reviews I will not be running toward this business anytime soon.

Yelp reviews:

That's very surprising to hear. I've only been there at night and dealt with the owner's son who couldn't be nicer. And they have probably the best and friendliest customer service of any order at the counter type of restaurant I've ever been to. Always coming over to see how things are or if they can get you anything else.
  • Post #5 - November 15th, 2017, 2:33 pm
    Post #5 - November 15th, 2017, 2:33 pm Post #5 - November 15th, 2017, 2:33 pm
    polster wrote:Thanks for your review of Mother Cluckers Gary. What makes me not want to try this place is the owners condescending reply's to some of the not so positive yelp reviews. It seems this guy doesn't understand the customer service industry and by his reply's seems somewhat of a passive aggressive personality. I do not have any input on the food of this business but by the tone of the reply's by the owner (or business mgr.) on the yelp reviews I will not be running toward this business anytime soon.

Yelp reviews:

Hey everyone, so I've been a lurker on this site for a few years (thanks for all the great recs!). Oddly, this is the first post that has spurred me into response mode. Sorry if I'm breaching any board protocols. Anyway, I've only eaten at Mothercluckers once (it's by my in-laws and out of the way for us and ...but I'll definitely go back when I'm in the neighborhood).

The food was pretty great (I had the shrimp po'boy. Wife had grilled chicken sandwich.
    We both enjoyed everything). However, the customer service was fantastic. We chatted up the owner (at least I assume it was him), hit him up for recommendations, had a nice conversation about the place, and at the end of the meal he comped us a huge piece of bread pudding drenched in caramel sauce. It was an all-around great experience.

Anyway, I went and read the yelp reviews that you linked to, and I sort of want to give the owner a "hell-yeah!" Perhaps the smart business strategy is to just simply ignore poor reviews and not feed the trolls. But sometimes ignoramuses need a responding...and yelp has empowered a whole army of ignoramuses to anonymously harm small businesses.

Take a look at the "steak and eggs" review on page four. The yelper gave a 1-star review because there was a 3 dollar surcharge for turning a steak sandwich into a steak and eggs entree. Now mind you, it wasn't breakfast; the restaurant didn't serve steak and eggs at this time of day (or this day of the week); and all the restaurant did was charge him the normal price ($14.95) for steak and eggs.

Now in turn, he gave a 1-star review after the restaurant refused to give him a discount, on a special order (which again, was a breakfast item at a time and day when breakfast wasn't served). That's kind of messed up.

Anyway, I'll quit the rambling now. Short story, I kind of dig the owner's yelp responses. Sometimes it's nice to see people fight back, even if it's not the wisest business decision.
  • Post #6 - November 15th, 2017, 6:18 pm
    Post #6 - November 15th, 2017, 6:18 pm Post #6 - November 15th, 2017, 6:18 pm
    jellob1976 wrote: Short story, I kind of dig the owner's yelp responses. Sometimes it's nice to see people fight back, even if it's not the wisest business decision.

One thing to note is that the owner never strikes back just because he gets a bad review. There are a number of people writing they didn't like the food and getting either no response or a somewhat conciliatory one. However , when posts misstate facts or claims knowledge they can't have eg "there was no seasoning on the chicken" vs "there was little flavor to the chicken." that's when he gets his hackles up.
  • Post #7 - November 15th, 2017, 8:10 pm
    Post #7 - November 15th, 2017, 8:10 pm Post #7 - November 15th, 2017, 8:10 pm
    I ate there three weeks ago and would add my recommendation to the above. I liked the chicken. One area of disagreement was the hush puppies, which were awful, too greasy. I'd avoid them.

D.
  • Post #8 - November 15th, 2017, 9:19 pm
    Post #8 - November 15th, 2017, 9:19 pm Post #8 - November 15th, 2017, 9:19 pm
    scottsol wrote:One thing to note is that the owner never strikes back just because he gets a bad review. There are a number of people writing they didn't like the food and getting either no response or a somewhat conciliatory one. However, when posts misstate facts or claims knowledge they can't have... that's when he gets his hackles up.

I spent a good 15 minutes going through negative reviews (almost always humorous in their fickleness), looking for owner responses, and came to pretty much the same conclusion. The owner tried to correct the record on factual errors, but was conciliatory in other instances of negative feedback. However, the problem, as polster states, is that the owner is so defensive and untactful in his responses. It is perhaps overly generous to assume his clarifications are in-fact correct in these instances since it is really just his word vs the reviewer's.

The volume and proportion of stellar reviews leaves little doubt that the food is very good, but the aggressive tone towards even the most ignorant feedback does reveal a lack of awareness.
    Last edited by bweiny on November 16th, 2017, 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #9 - November 15th, 2017, 9:42 pm
    Post #9 - November 15th, 2017, 9:42 pm Post #9 - November 15th, 2017, 9:42 pm
    Well, I for one am shocked that someone who seems to think Idiocracy had some great ideas for restaurant names might not be the best spokesman for his product.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more