LTH Home

Where do you go regularly?

Where do you go regularly?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - October 24th, 2017, 12:16 pm
    Post #91 - October 24th, 2017, 12:16 pm Post #91 - October 24th, 2017, 12:16 pm
    I would love to list but...

We do try to visit GNRs as often as we can because you are guaranteed a great meal at a great price with great service and atmosphere. My Bride and I do dine out often (weekly on an average) and our list (including GNRs) would have to be up to around 50. This is a good thing as we live in such a food rich city but it takes so long (a year?) to return to many of these great restaurants.

We try to dine locally as much as we can but are not opposed to taking a drive for a special experience.

Our tastes vary as we love a good steak as much as the next guy but we also enjoy 'low food' (hot dogs, Cantonese carryout, simple sandwiches, pizza) which doesn't help narrowing down the list.

It's all good
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #92 - October 24th, 2017, 1:19 pm
    Post #92 - October 24th, 2017, 1:19 pm Post #92 - October 24th, 2017, 1:19 pm
    Loving reading everyone's posts and wanted to contribute my own (even though I rarely post and mostly lurk :roll:)

In the neighborhood:
    Rockwell's Neighborhood Grill (for the blackened fish tacos)
    First Slice Manor
    Cafe Selmarie
    Taqueria San Juanito
    Angelo's

Outside the neighborhood:
    Little Goat
    Crosby's Kitchen
    RJ Grunts
    Shake Shack
    Longman & Eagle
    El Cid
    Cafe Marie Jeanne
    Do-Rite Donuts (for the fried chicken sandwiches)
    The Bagelers
    Big Star

Delivery:
    Hot Woks Cool Sushi
    Golden Crust
    Malnati's
    Wok Cuisine

In the suburbs:
    Our Kitchen (Elmhurst)
    Courageous Bakery (Elmhurst)
    Yorky's (Elmhurst)
    Russell's BBQ (Elmwood Park)
    Prasino (La Grange)
    DOC Wine Bar (Lombard)
    Labriola Bakery & Cafe (Oak Brook)
    Ruscello (inside Nordstrom Oak Brook)
    Bien Trucha (Geneva)
  • Post #93 - November 1st, 2017, 2:25 pm
    Post #93 - November 1st, 2017, 2:25 pm Post #93 - November 1st, 2017, 2:25 pm
    shakes wrote:
    stevez wrote:
    shakes wrote:Mother Cluckers

Has their chicken improved? When they first opened up, it was fried pretty hard and was quite dry. I haven't been back. It's certainly convenient to my house, and I would gladly return if they've upped their game.

It's fantastic, maybe even better than Honey Butter. everything there is really good. Had the pulled chicken sandwich the other night cause I'm on a diet and it was great.

I went here over the weekend based on your recommendation and loved it. So much food for so cheap. The chicken was perfectly crisp and juicy. I don't think I'd compare it to HBFC though I think it's going to be a more likely standby for me. The biscuit was a little tough for me so I'll be getting hush puppies next time (those were excellent). I can't wait to go back again and again (and try everything else on their menu). Thank you!
  • Post #94 - November 2nd, 2017, 5:02 am
    Post #94 - November 2nd, 2017, 5:02 am Post #94 - November 2nd, 2017, 5:02 am
    gonna have to give mother cluckers a shot
  • Post #95 - November 3rd, 2017, 8:59 am
    Post #95 - November 3rd, 2017, 8:59 am Post #95 - November 3rd, 2017, 8:59 am
    JellyShakeups wrote:I went here over the weekend based on your recommendation and loved it. So much food for so cheap. The chicken was perfectly crisp and juicy. I don't think I'd compare it to HBFC though I think it's going to be a more likely standby for me. The biscuit was a little tough for me so I'll be getting hush puppies next time (those were excellent). I can't wait to go back again and again (and try everything else on their menu). Thank you!

Glad you liked it!

I should've posted something about the biscuits vs the hush puppies..my bad. Definitely get the hush puppies, they are really good. I agree, the biscuit is not good. Only had it once and ever since its been hush puppies.

My wife gets the crab cake po boy which is good as well. Mashed potatoes are good. Ribs were good as well. I haven't had much else there since I keep ordering the same things when I go, but I'm sure its all good. Oh yea, the bread pudding is excellent.

Great little family run biz. The mom and dad run the place during the day and the son takes over at night. They are opening up a new place in Palatine I think and the mom and dad are going to stay out there since its closer to home.
  • Post #96 - November 3rd, 2017, 3:26 pm
    Post #96 - November 3rd, 2017, 3:26 pm Post #96 - November 3rd, 2017, 3:26 pm
    shakes wrote:
    JellyShakeups wrote:I went here over the weekend based on your recommendation and loved it. So much food for so cheap. The chicken was perfectly crisp and juicy. I don't think I'd compare it to HBFC though I think it's going to be a more likely standby for me. The biscuit was a little tough for me so I'll be getting hush puppies next time (those were excellent). I can't wait to go back again and again (and try everything else on their menu). Thank you!

Glad you liked it!

I should've posted something about the biscuits vs the hush puppies..my bad. Definitely get the hush puppies, they are really good. I agree, the biscuit is not good. Only had it once and ever since its been hush puppies.

My wife gets the crab cake po boy which is good as well. Mashed potatoes are good. Ribs were good as well. I haven't had much else there since I keep ordering the same things when I go, but I'm sure its all good. Oh yea, the bread pudding is excellent.

Great little family run biz. The mom and dad run the place during the day and the son takes over at night. They are opening up a new place in Palatine I think and the mom and dad are going to stay out there since its closer to home.

Good to know! I can't wait to go back and try the po boys. And I'm definitely getting that bread pudding next time too. :) The son actually came to our table and talked with us for a bit, which was really nice. Super friendly family joint. I can see taking my whole extended family there and everyone would be happy.
  • Post #97 - November 7th, 2017, 4:51 pm
    Post #97 - November 7th, 2017, 4:51 pm Post #97 - November 7th, 2017, 4:51 pm
    Local (once a month or so): Immm, Selam Ethiopian Kitchen, Shan, Na Hang, Hopleaf.

Elsewhere (2+ times a year): TAC Quick, Andy's Thai Kitchen, The Publican, Chaparrita, Khan BBQ, Spacca Napoli, Calumet Fisheries.
  • Post #98 - November 16th, 2017, 6:43 am
    Post #98 - November 16th, 2017, 6:43 am Post #98 - November 16th, 2017, 6:43 am
    I've added the Lincoln Ave taproom of Half Acre to my rotation. The best lunch within walking distance of my office. I don't even drink beer at lunch, the food is THAT good. This week they have a special of a Costa Rican pork schnitzel burrito. I always get the burritos as bowls.
  • Post #99 - November 16th, 2017, 10:39 am
    Post #99 - November 16th, 2017, 10:39 am Post #99 - November 16th, 2017, 10:39 am
    For Lunch:

Red Hot Ranch
    Vienna Beef Factory Store
    Slims
    Frances' Deli (I have young ones...so you may notice a steady supply of hot dogs in the rotation)
    Taco In A Bag
    Joong Boo Market
    Taco Burrito House (Lincoln and Addison)

For Dinner:*
    Hopleaf
    Bistro Campagne
    Great Seas
    Sabri Nihari
    Cafe Tapatio
    Mananitas
    Salernos (on grand)
    Pequods
    Oiistarr
    Laschets

*Again, since we have young ones dinners out have become much more scarce. This tends to result in that age old debate: do we spend a rare night out on an old stand-by; or do we try something new (or worse, do we take another shot at opening the kids' eyes to something outside the hotdog/pizza/mac n cheese triumvirate)? Typically we go with the latter...but these are the ones we still enjoy and frequent when opportunity presents itself.
  • Post #100 - November 16th, 2017, 1:06 pm
    Post #100 - November 16th, 2017, 1:06 pm Post #100 - November 16th, 2017, 1:06 pm
    JoeChicago wrote:Saigon Lotus
    Sumo Sushi

From these, I intuit that you live in the same neck of the woods as me. Have never been to these two places but have noticed them. Is it possible you can say just a word or two about what you like about them? I don't want to derail the thread but I don't know if either place warrants starting a whole thread on it. Hopefully that's permissible. (I promise not to reply other than to say thanks.)
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #101 - January 5th, 2018, 5:42 pm
    Post #101 - January 5th, 2018, 5:42 pm Post #101 - January 5th, 2018, 5:42 pm
    From my house (SE Naperville):
    - Country House (Lisle)
    - Bavarian Lodge
    - Bucho's (Bolingbrook)
    - Chef Soon (Woodridge)
    - Your Neighbors
    - Pho Thien
    - Little Italian (more often delivery)
    - Little Pops
    - Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket

Lunch, from work (Union Station area):
    - Arturo's
    - Burrito Beach (Ogilvie food court)
    - Venice Cafe
    - Bombacigno's J & C
    - Mr. Greek
    - Primo's
    - My Thai
  • Post #102 - January 6th, 2018, 4:47 pm
    Post #102 - January 6th, 2018, 4:47 pm Post #102 - January 6th, 2018, 4:47 pm
    Great thread! My regular rotation consists of the following.

"Everyday" Places (a couple times a month):
    Pita Inn
    Athenian Room
    The Alps Pancake House
    East of Edens
    L'Patron (recently added)

Fancy Places (once a month or less frequent, some once a year):
    Boka
    Alinea
    George Trois
    Next
    Maude's

Places I wish I went more frequently: Avec, Blackbird, Sepia, Au Cheval, Green Street, RPM Steak
    "People are too busy in these times to care about good food. We used to spend months working over a bonne-femme sauce, trying to determine just the right proportions of paprika and fresh forest mushrooms to use." -Karoly Gundel, Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Peregrinations of an Epicure, Joseph Wechsberg, 1954.
  • Post #103 - January 7th, 2018, 2:00 pm
    Post #103 - January 7th, 2018, 2:00 pm Post #103 - January 7th, 2018, 2:00 pm
    Royal Lichter wrote:Great thread! My regular rotation consists of the following.

Pita Inn
    Athenian Room
    The Alps Pancake House
    East of Edens

What do you normally get at East of Edens? Pretty close to me and I need to find some more lunch options nearby.
  • Post #104 - January 7th, 2018, 9:35 pm
    Post #104 - January 7th, 2018, 9:35 pm Post #104 - January 7th, 2018, 9:35 pm
    I really sense a significant decrease in the places I ate.

That said proximity played a lot into my Loop places:

The Dearborn
    Toni’s Patisserie
    Magnolia Bakery
    7th Floor of Macy’s (almost always Takashi)
    Sweet Maple
    Little Goat
    The Publican
    Cochon Volant
    Nico Osteria
    Summerhouse Santa Monica
    Lula
    Old Town Social
    Floriole
    Naf Naf
    Big & Little’s
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #105 - January 8th, 2018, 9:15 am
    Post #105 - January 8th, 2018, 9:15 am Post #105 - January 8th, 2018, 9:15 am
    Pearl's Southern Comfort
    Vincent
    Taste of Lebanon
    Flaco's Tacos (Granville location)
    Noon Hour Grill
    Edgebrook Diner
    -Mary
  • Post #106 - January 8th, 2018, 1:19 pm
    Post #106 - January 8th, 2018, 1:19 pm Post #106 - January 8th, 2018, 1:19 pm
    Great thread.

Home:

Jim & Pete's
    Onion Roll
    Big Guys (although less so lately, feel bad about that)
    Yum Thai
    Luo's Peking House
    Lou Malnati's

Away:

Blaze Pizza
    Fogo de Chao (salad bar lunch special)
    Miller's Pub
    Medici
    Roti
    Chipotle
    Subway (nb: only the 57th St. Subway in Hyde Park, which is one of the best-run fast-food franchises I've ever encountered)
  • Post #107 - January 8th, 2018, 2:16 pm
    Post #107 - January 8th, 2018, 2:16 pm Post #107 - January 8th, 2018, 2:16 pm
    For those who may be familiar with the far north suburbs...

Bill's Pub (pizza; Third Lake)
    Bento Cafe (sushi; Hainesville)
    Hayashi (sushi; Gurnee)
    Yuri of Japan (Japanese hibatchi; Third Lake)
    Center Cut (steaks/chops; Grayslake)
    The Vine (cocktails, Grayslake)
    BBQ Productions (BBQ; Third Lake)
    Main Street Social (brunch; Libertyville)
    Brunch Cafe (brunch; McHenry)
    Lovin' Oven (bakery; Round Lake Beach)
    Gurnee Donuts (donuts; Gurnee)
    Beelows (steaks; Lake Zurich)
    Wildfire (Lincolnshire)
    Bluegrass (Cajun; Highland Park)
    Max's Deli (corned beef; Highland Park)
    Last edited by foodie1 on January 16th, 2018, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #108 - January 11th, 2018, 8:20 am
    Post #108 - January 11th, 2018, 8:20 am Post #108 - January 11th, 2018, 8:20 am
    Independent George wrote:As much as I like going to the LTH favorites, the place I go the most often is Horizon Cafe on Broadway.

1. It's right next to me
    2. Their matzo ball soup (chicken & dumpling on the menu) on Fridays is delicious.

Thirteen years of business in Boystown has come to end for Horizon Cafe. The family-owned diner has shut down at 3805 N. Broadway Street.

https://chicago.eater.com/2018/1/2/1684 ... sures-2018
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #109 - January 12th, 2018, 9:31 pm
    Post #109 - January 12th, 2018, 9:31 pm Post #109 - January 12th, 2018, 9:31 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    Royal Lichter wrote:Great thread! My regular rotation consists of the following.

Pita Inn
    Athenian Room
    The Alps Pancake House
    East of Edens

What do you normally get at East of Edens? Pretty close to me and I need to find some more lunch options nearby.

Pretty much everything is good there. I don't find the Italian Beef to be anything to write home about, or the tamales (if they're still even on the menu), but the rest is great.

My favorites are the Chicken Special ($4.99 or $5.99, the price has only gone up like two dollars in the 25+ years my family has been patronizing that restaurant), BBQ Ribs, Chicken Breast Plate, Burgers, Hot Dogs (Chicago Dog!), and Steak Sandwich. If you like salads, my mother will tell you that their Greek Salad is the best around. It's Greek comfort food, but less greasy and more well made than a hot dog stand.
    "People are too busy in these times to care about good food. We used to spend months working over a bonne-femme sauce, trying to determine just the right proportions of paprika and fresh forest mushrooms to use." -Karoly Gundel, Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Peregrinations of an Epicure, Joseph Wechsberg, 1954.
  • Post #110 - January 13th, 2018, 2:39 pm
    Post #110 - January 13th, 2018, 2:39 pm Post #110 - January 13th, 2018, 2:39 pm
    Royal Lichter wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:

Pita Inn
    Athenian Room
    The Alps Pancake House
    East of Edens

Pretty much everything is good there. I don't find the Italian Beef to be anything to write home about, or the tamales (if they're still even on the menu), but the rest is great.

My favorites are the Chicken Special ($4.99 or $5.99, the price has only gone up like two dollars in the 25+ years my family has been patronizing that restaurant), BBQ Ribs, Chicken Breast Plate, Burgers, Hot Dogs (Chicago Dog!), and Steak Sandwich. If you like salads, my mother will tell you that their Greek Salad is the best around. It's Greek comfort food, but less greasy and more well made than a hot dog stand.

Thanks for this. Looking forward to trying it out
  • Post #111 - January 20th, 2018, 5:10 pm
    Post #111 - January 20th, 2018, 5:10 pm Post #111 - January 20th, 2018, 5:10 pm
    I probably eat 80% of my meals alone, which definitely skews me towards more quick service places than I should have.

Sandwiches: Portillo's around home, or a jumbo hot dog on the way home from work if I can stand the insane wait at the new location on Clinton. Around the area - Original Mr. Beef, Paradise Pup, Gene N Jude's, Johnnie's, depending on which neighborhood I'm in.

Downtown lunch: Protein Bar, Pret a Manger's lentil soup, Potbelly, Smoque every 5-6 weeks, original Ho7 2-3 times/summer

Downtown other: Do-Rite, Little Goat (early weekend breakfast), Big & Little's

Mexican: Burrito Parrilla (Lombard), Macho Taco (Justice)

Chinese: Katy's. Need a west suburban replacement for LSC.

Other suburban: Chuck's, Seasons 52
    "Fried chicken should unify us, as opposed to tearing us apart. " - Bomani Jones
  • Post #112 - January 20th, 2018, 11:05 pm
    Post #112 - January 20th, 2018, 11:05 pm Post #112 - January 20th, 2018, 11:05 pm
    Traspasada (the one at Belstifornia)
    Taco Max
    Mini Palapita
    Smoque
    Honey Butter Fried Chicken
    Lunch counter at Joong Boo
    Di Vita's
    Lahore Food and Grille
    Dante's (the one on Milwaukee)
    El Cubanito
  • Post #113 - September 28th, 2019, 12:57 pm
    Post #113 - September 28th, 2019, 12:57 pm Post #113 - September 28th, 2019, 12:57 pm
    On September 26, 2017, I said

Chez Simo Bistro, El Maya, El Tapatio, Bistro Campagne, Gather, and Bread and Wine. We order delivery from Slims way more than we should.

Sadly, El Maya and Bread and Wine are no more. Also, I think El Tapatio has really fallen off and won’t put it in my list today.

But I’ll add XOchimilco Mexican Restaurant, 2030 W. Montrose to the list.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more