LTH Home

Bonci USA

Bonci USA
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - November 5th, 2017, 9:21 am
    Post #31 - November 5th, 2017, 9:21 am Post #31 - November 5th, 2017, 9:21 am
    Jazzfood wrote:Of the 5-6 slices we tried, we found the eggplant bland as hell and in big need of more flavor, including but not only, salt. It was the only one we didn't finish. The others we quite liked though.

Not sure if you're talking about the same spicy eggplant, but fortunately the one I tried was not the least bit bland.
    I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted, cured meats. (Seinfeld)

Twitter: brbinchicago
  • Post #32 - November 6th, 2017, 1:50 pm
    Post #32 - November 6th, 2017, 1:50 pm Post #32 - November 6th, 2017, 1:50 pm
    Is it better to to have take-out orders not heated up? Will the Pizza lords allow this?

Thanks,

Chico
  • Post #33 - January 23rd, 2018, 4:45 pm
    Post #33 - January 23rd, 2018, 4:45 pm Post #33 - January 23rd, 2018, 4:45 pm
    Popular due to the eclectic topping combinations from founder/chef Gabriele Bonci, the owners of Bonci’s American division plan to open this spring at 1566 N. Damen Avenue

https://chicago.eater.com/2018/1/23/169 ... nfirmation
    "At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom." George Carlin
  • Post #34 - March 6th, 2018, 11:35 pm
    Post #34 - March 6th, 2018, 11:35 pm Post #34 - March 6th, 2018, 11:35 pm
    I've tried the pizza twice and, overall, my reaction is "meh." The first time I went, the crust really was special. It had an airiness and a strength that should not be able to coexist in one piece of bread. But the blandness of the toppings got in the way of this being a top-tier pie.

But making good toppings is a whole lot easier than a great crust, so I went back for round 2, pictured above. The airiness of the crust was, in most bites, simply not there. As a result, the pizza had an overly chewy base. The toppings were a mixed bag. The tomato sauce was great. But the potato and rosemary pizza had way too much potato piled on and the pizza on the left (I think cacio e pepe but I could be way off) was just a mechanism for holding far too much bland cheese.

Good for them that they're doing well and clearly a lot of people like the place, but for there's far too much great pizza in this town to get me back to Bonci any time soon.
  • Post #35 - March 7th, 2018, 10:08 am
    Post #35 - March 7th, 2018, 10:08 am Post #35 - March 7th, 2018, 10:08 am
    Those pictures above look nothing like the original Bonci in Rome when Anthony Bourdain did his piece with Gabriele Bonci. Way over everything-ed, it looks to me. I too heard great things about the crust when it opened, probably when the boss was still there overseeing it like the maniac he is. I'll bet he'd flip out if he saw that picture.

Last year in Rome we got daily lunch 'take-away' pizza slices from Forno bakery near our apartment. Similar to Bonci except on a much smaller scale, the crust was that consistent airiness/strength structure that seemed impossible. Owned by the Roscioli family of Rome baker fame, I believe I read they have remnants of the original dough/cultures from generations back that they keep using every day. My favorite slice over the course of a week--always changing--was a fennel salsiccia & rapini on a charcoal-grilled but pliable crust that was vibrantly-flavored.

Maybe Bonci will right the ship, probably sooner if the boss returns...
  • Post #36 - March 7th, 2018, 11:41 am
    Post #36 - March 7th, 2018, 11:41 am Post #36 - March 7th, 2018, 11:41 am
    That's really unfounded speculation. I've been going every few weeks since they opened and have not noticed any such changes. The posted photos are of re-heated slices, so they will plainly not be just like the pizza in the case. The crust has remained consistent but can change through improper reheating, which certainly could have occurred on an isolated basis. As for bland, one man's "bland" is another's "subtle." I appreciate the light touch on seasoning as opposed to the heavy-handedness of other pizzas. I do agree with the assessment of the potato pizza, but that's because I find potato pizza unappealing anywhere, whether her or abroad. But obviously some people like it, which is why they offer so many options.
  • Post #37 - March 7th, 2018, 8:19 pm
    Post #37 - March 7th, 2018, 8:19 pm Post #37 - March 7th, 2018, 8:19 pm
    jnm123 wrote:Those pictures above look nothing like the original Bonci in Rome when Anthony Bourdain did his piece with Gabriele Bonci.

Anthony Bourdain did his bit at Pizzarium in Rome - not sure if that's THE original but it's one of his places. When I was in Rome 5 years ago I checked it out due to Bourdain's rave review. It's not too far outside of the walls of Vatican City. We were all very excited based on Bourdain's review.

My reaction back then was MEH and that was the reaction of my friends who went too. I tried probably 5 different kinds and they were very interesting - never seen anything like them. I remember the potato and cheese one was pretty good but the rest weren't very memorable. I honestly don't remember the other flavors as a result except for one with cod in it only because it was pretty unique. I thought the suppli were great though.

I am excited Chicago got this - it's not the most common style of pizza in America and for Chicago to get this says a lot. I've never really been that impressed with the food in Rome though outside of a handful of places and of course the gelato which is amazing. As I don't live in Chicago anymore, I may put it on my list of things to check out next time I'm there in a few months but my hopes aren't very high for it based on my Pizzarium experience. At the same time, Bourdain for me - as much as I love the guy - has a lot of hit or miss places. I feel that many times he may just be drunk and raving about the place kind of as a result. I felt that after re-watching the Bonci bit a few more times. One of the funniest things I saw was when he did his Shanghai segment and was raving about a dish at some restaurant when the local with him just said "it's okay - I know a ton of better places" LOL. Kind of sums up my experiences with the places he raves about that I have gone to.
  • Post #38 - March 9th, 2018, 12:46 pm
    Post #38 - March 9th, 2018, 12:46 pm Post #38 - March 9th, 2018, 12:46 pm
    The potato pizza and overall crust lightness are both looking quite good during today's visit - and I arrived right before a line of 14 construction workers. Banner day!

• Post #39 - April 24th, 2018, 8:38 am
    Post #39 - April 24th, 2018, 8:38 am Post #39 - April 24th, 2018, 8:38 am
    Bonci opened its second Chicago pizzeria over the weekend in the heart of Wicker Park at 1566 N. Damen Avenue.

https://chicago.eater.com/2018/4/23/172 ... tos-images
    "At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom." George Carlin
  • Post #40 - April 24th, 2018, 10:25 am
    Post #40 - April 24th, 2018, 10:25 am Post #40 - April 24th, 2018, 10:25 am
    Hit up the Wicker Park location on Saturday for the opening and I was very impressed. A manager was posted at the door to explain the process and all of the employees were helpful and clearly well-trained.

This was my first experience with Roman pizza and now I love it. The crust was flavorful and crisp with an awesome hole structure. As for toppings, we had the following:

- Nduja, ricotta, almond, and mushroom
    - Sausage and broccoli
    - Smoked salmon and burrata
    - Potato and mozzarella
    - Margherita

All were great and you can tell they are using quality ingredients. I'll definitely be back, in no small part because ordering pizza by the pound is pretty fun.
  • Post #41 - April 28th, 2018, 2:45 pm
    Post #41 - April 28th, 2018, 2:45 pm Post #41 - April 28th, 2018, 2:45 pm
    No wait at the new Damen location at 1 p.m. on a Saturday, though seating was nearly full. I imagine in a couple of weeks there will be a line.
    I thought the pizza was very good but not mind-blowing. I had bell peppers with fresh mozzarella and basil, and my son had carmelized onions with parmesan. I actually preferred his, although both had the signature crust well-executed. The most interesting pizza I saw being assembled had three layers: zucchini, corn, and octopus. Cured-meat toppings looked to be of high quality.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more