LTH Home

Making the Best of Lunch at The Cheesecake Factory

Making the Best of Lunch at The Cheesecake Factory
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Making the Best of Lunch at The Cheesecake Factory

Post #1 - June 21st, 2017, 12:18 pm
    Post #1 - June 21st, 2017, 12:18 pm Post #1 - June 21st, 2017, 12:18 pm
    I've been invited to lunch at The Cheesecake Factory. I have no say in the matter. I'm kind of looking forward to going to a place I never thought I'd visit. The menu is huge. I need help. I'm open to anything from a Glamburger® to a SkinnyLicious® Asian Chicken Salad. Not particularly interested in dessert. Any suggestions?
  • Post #2 - June 21st, 2017, 2:00 pm
    Post #2 - June 21st, 2017, 2:00 pm Post #2 - June 21st, 2017, 2:00 pm
    Eat before you go. :lol:
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - June 21st, 2017, 2:21 pm
    Post #3 - June 21st, 2017, 2:21 pm Post #3 - June 21st, 2017, 2:21 pm
    See, now I disagree. Cheesecake Factory is much better than the typical mall restaurant and a good option when trying to plan a meal with a large group of unadventurous eaters/lady lunchers/kids. I usually stick to salads and apps--in particular, the "skinny" menu has steamed artichoke, lettuce wraps, summer rolls, sandwiches, etc. that are all good. And there's plenty of burgers, pasta, chicken dishes, etc. for heartier eaters. I've never had anything bad there. It's not as interesting as the usual LTH spot but you'll almost certainly have a perfectly good meal.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #4 - June 21st, 2017, 2:24 pm
    Post #4 - June 21st, 2017, 2:24 pm Post #4 - June 21st, 2017, 2:24 pm
    I've found pasta da vinci isn't terrible.
  • Post #5 - June 21st, 2017, 3:03 pm
    Post #5 - June 21st, 2017, 3:03 pm Post #5 - June 21st, 2017, 3:03 pm
    I don't think I've ever disliked anything I've eaten at the Cheesecake Factory. Everything is made fresh and it's probably the best food you will get from that a casual dining chain in that price range.

First We Feast did a nice ranking of some items: http://firstwefeast.com/eat/best-cheese ... ry-dishes/

I know you aren't interested in dessert, but they really do deliver on their namesake.
  • Post #6 - June 21st, 2017, 5:41 pm
    Post #6 - June 21st, 2017, 5:41 pm Post #6 - June 21st, 2017, 5:41 pm
    Skip the salads.

Have coffee and cheesecake.

The cheesecake is not bad.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #7 - June 21st, 2017, 6:35 pm
    Post #7 - June 21st, 2017, 6:35 pm Post #7 - June 21st, 2017, 6:35 pm
    Hi I had the Grilled Salmon while waiting for my phone to be fixed in Orland Park.

It was decent and came with vegetables that had been handled with some care.

Warm bread served prior too.
  • Post #8 - June 21st, 2017, 8:06 pm
    Post #8 - June 21st, 2017, 8:06 pm Post #8 - June 21st, 2017, 8:06 pm
    Try the sliders. They've been on my radar for a while now ever since they got the George Motz stamp of approval. So the story goes the current CEO grew up on Greene's Hamburgers in Farmington, Michigan and he wanted something like those on the menu. Good luck!
  • Post #9 - June 21st, 2017, 8:40 pm
    Post #9 - June 21st, 2017, 8:40 pm Post #9 - June 21st, 2017, 8:40 pm
    I haven't been in about ten years, but the first thing I think of when I hear C.F. is Tex Mex Egg Rolls. I used to have a thing for them. I started down the rabbit hole link from Gnarchief, and my beloved Tex Mex ER's made the list. Totally edible. If I ever wound up there again I'd order them without thinking twice. I do believe they've done away with the bestest cheesecake I've ever seen. It was half cheesecake, and half pecan pie. To paint the picture correctly for you, it was layered. I do not remember the order, but logistics make me think the cheesecake was on the bottom. Yes, it was layered, not mixed. Half was cheesecake, and the other was a layer of pecan pie custard with the nuts on top. It was insane, and I'd order it again every time.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #10 - June 22nd, 2017, 7:54 am
    Post #10 - June 22nd, 2017, 7:54 am Post #10 - June 22nd, 2017, 7:54 am
    I haven't been to the Cheesecake Factory in many years, but I do recall really enjoying the sweet corn tamale cakes as an appetizer.
  • Post #11 - June 22nd, 2017, 8:53 am
    Post #11 - June 22nd, 2017, 8:53 am Post #11 - June 22nd, 2017, 8:53 am
    buttercream wrote:I haven't been to the Cheesecake Factory in many years, but I do recall really enjoying the sweet corn tamale cakes as an appetizer.

I love those!

I also really like the spicy chicken chipotle pasta. And the salads are very good too.

Beware, portion sizes are huge, so don't over-order unless you want to take some of it home.
  • Post #12 - June 22nd, 2017, 9:16 am
    Post #12 - June 22nd, 2017, 9:16 am Post #12 - June 22nd, 2017, 9:16 am
    Thanks very much for all the suggestions. They are truly helpful.

stevez wrote:Eat before you go. :lol:

Well, most are helpful. You, sir, are not approaching this with the proper attitude!

boudreaulicious wrote:It's not as interesting as the usual LTH spot but you'll almost certainly have a perfectly good meal.

I have little doubt of that. I'm only trying to stack the odds in my favor. There are quite a few things on the menu I suspect I wouldn't enjoy (perhaps I have an improper attitude?).

Dlongs wrote:I've found pasta da vinci isn't terrible.

These specific first-hand recommendations are great. This is one I probably wouldn't have considered before.

gnarchief wrote:First We Feast did a nice ranking of some items: http://firstwefeast.com/eat/best-cheese ... ry-dishes/

Helpful list! Plenty of things I ought to consider.

pairs4life wrote:Skip the salads.

What's wrong with the salads? Asian Chicken Salad was on my list (I'm completely serious).

chunker wrote:Hi I had the Grilled Salmon while waiting for my phone to be fixed in Orland Park.

It was decent and came with vegetables that had been handled with some care.

Salmon seems like a "safe" choice, and the Yelp photos look good. It's under consideration, but it seems like a plate I could get at lots of restaurants. I think I want something more specific to CF.

Da Beef wrote:Try the sliders.

Now that's one I definitely passed over while looking at the menu. If we get appetizers, I'll lobby for sliders. I see by default they come with ketchup (no mustard) in addition to grilled onion and pickles. That seems unusual (isn't mustard, or mustard and ketchup, the usual default condiment?). Do you remember if Greene's applies only ketchup?

seebee wrote:I haven't been in about ten years, but the first thing I think of when I hear C.F. is Tex Mex Egg Rolls. I used to have a thing for them.

Near the top of my list! I'm also tempted by the Avocado Eggrolls (I have a minor obsession with cooked avocado recently).

buttercream wrote:I haven't been to the Cheesecake Factory in many years, but I do recall really enjoying the sweet corn tamale cakes as an appetizer.

This is yet another suggestion for something I hadn't considered earlier. They look good. Maybe I'll see if the table would be interested in ordering only a bunch of appetizers.

nsxtasy wrote:I also really like the spicy chicken chipotle pasta. And the salads are very good too.

Before I posted, I'd pretty much decided to ignore the pastas. That's being reevaluated, in light of the two specific recommendations.

I haven't had this much fun thinking about an upcoming restaurant meal in ages. It's going to be really tough to narrow things down.
  • Post #13 - June 22nd, 2017, 9:26 am
    Post #13 - June 22nd, 2017, 9:26 am Post #13 - June 22nd, 2017, 9:26 am
    Rene G,

I am plant-based. I almost cried the last time I got salad there. It was within the last 36 months probably at a suburban CF.

The dressing was gross and the greens were from about 4 days before the date I had them with half-as*ed refrigeration.

That reminds me, if you are downtown I love dining al fresco at CF weather permitting.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #14 - June 22nd, 2017, 9:44 am
    Post #14 - June 22nd, 2017, 9:44 am Post #14 - June 22nd, 2017, 9:44 am
    Regarding the portion size, they do offer many items (pastas/salads) in lunch size portions. Not as huge as the regular portions, but still generous. I wish I could help you more on what to order. I worked in the Hancock for years and can count on one hand how often I had lunch from TCF. This stemmed from a mixture of costs (TCF was generally a higher price point than my usual lunch spots), poor service from the carry-out window and some mediocre food. But there are good options in that menu. So good luck!
    -Mary
  • Post #15 - June 22nd, 2017, 9:47 am
    Post #15 - June 22nd, 2017, 9:47 am Post #15 - June 22nd, 2017, 9:47 am
    Rene G wrote:Thanks very much for all the suggestions. They are truly helpful.

stevez wrote:Eat before you go. :lol:

Well, most are helpful. You, sir, are not approaching this with the proper attitude!

I have to admit that after seeing all of the (mainly) positive responses, I may need to reevaluate my opinion, should I ever find myself faced with a Cheesecake Factory meal. I've always dismissed Cheesecake Factory out of hand, although I have eaten at their more "upscale" Grand Luxe Cafe twice, and found everything I tried to be on the much-too-sweet side...even the savory dishes.

I can't wait to read the account of Rene G's upcoming meal.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #16 - June 22nd, 2017, 10:16 am
    Post #16 - June 22nd, 2017, 10:16 am Post #16 - June 22nd, 2017, 10:16 am
    I'll second the recommendations for the tamale cakes and the chipotle chicken pasta (my wife loves it).
  • Post #17 - June 22nd, 2017, 5:29 pm
    Post #17 - June 22nd, 2017, 5:29 pm Post #17 - June 22nd, 2017, 5:29 pm
    Geez, I've never been to CF in my life but seeing some of these interesting recommendations now I'm a little intrigued. At least if I find myself faced with CF as an option I'll have something to turn to.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #18 - June 22nd, 2017, 5:37 pm
    Post #18 - June 22nd, 2017, 5:37 pm Post #18 - June 22nd, 2017, 5:37 pm
    Late to the party, but my vote is for the eggroll sampler (Salmon, Cuban, Tex Mex, Avocado, each with its own sauce) and the Korean (more like General Tso's) fried cauliflower for pure novelty.

Also, I was really hoping to hear Neil Gaiman say "Toasted Marshmallow S'mores Galore":

http://www.avclub.com/article/neil-gaim ... 0k--257163
  • Post #19 - June 23rd, 2017, 8:33 am
    Post #19 - June 23rd, 2017, 8:33 am Post #19 - June 23rd, 2017, 8:33 am
    pairs4life wrote:I am plant-based. I almost cried the last time I got salad there. It was within the last 36 months probably at a suburban CF.

The dressing was gross and the greens were from about 4 days before the date I had them with half-as*ed refrigeration.

That reminds me, if you are downtown I love dining al fresco at CF weather permitting.

I know you are a plant-based life form, so I take your salad comments especially seriously. Yes, some of the salad dressings read like something from my nightmares. Hopefully your last experience with the greens was an aberration. I haven't completely given up on a big salad, depending on my mood and the weather.

Unfortunately lunch is in the suburbs. I'd love to see the interior of the Hancock location. I guess there's nothing to stop me from visiting sometime in the future.

The GP wrote:Regarding the portion size, they do offer many items (pastas/salads) in lunch size portions. Not as huge as the regular portions, but still generous.

Good to know, thanks. I might take advantage of that, depending how the table orders. But I'm kind of hoping to get into the true spirit of the place – deep fried appetizers followed by a mammoth plate of something. After that, the cheesecake will seem to float.

stevez wrote:I have to admit that after seeing all of the (mainly) positive responses, I may need to reevaluate my opinion, should I ever find myself faced with a Cheesecake Factory meal. I've always dismissed Cheesecake Factory out of hand, although I have eaten at their more "upscale" Grand Luxe Cafe twice, and found everything I tried to be on the much-too-sweet side...even the savory dishes.

I can't wait to read the account of Rene G's upcoming meal.

Overly sweet is a major worry of mine. The descriptions of certain dishes raise all sorts of red flags. For example, Chinese Chicken Salad is "Tossed in Our Special Chinese Plum Dressing," which could be sickeningly sweet. That's why instead I'm considering the SkinnyLicious® Asian Chicken Salad, "Served with Our SkinnyLicious® Sesame-Soy Dressing."

I plan on reporting on my lunch, but it isn't for about a month. I hate to think about how much time I'm going to spend looking at the menu before then.

gnarchief wrote:I'll second the recommendations for the tamale cakes and the chipotle chicken pasta (my wife loves it).

Both moved up a couple notches. It's getting tougher to decide. Who knows? I might even order the Famous Factory Meatloaf, but maybe not on a sweltering July day. Any comments on the meatloaf?

Kman wrote:Geez, I've never been to CF in my life but seeing some of these interesting recommendations now I'm a little intrigued. At least if I find myself faced with CF as an option I'll have something to turn to.

Yeah, this outpouring of (almost) love for Cheesecake Factory caught me a little by surprise. This thread is turning into a very useful resource for those of us who never expected to set foot in the place.

Santander wrote:Late to the party, but my vote is for the eggroll sampler (Salmon, Cuban, Tex Mex, Avocado, each with its own sauce) and the Korean (more like General Tso's) fried cauliflower for pure novelty.

Also, I was really hoping to hear Neil Gaiman say "Toasted Marshmallow S'mores Galore":

http://www.avclub.com/article/neil-gaim ... 0k--257163

I completely missed the Eggroll Sampler (I also missed the Neil Gaiman thing). Indeed, Cheesecake Factory's massive menu, like all great literature, richly repays repeated readings. I like cauliflower. The Pan-Roasted Cauliflower Steak, served with a brown butter caper sauce, caught my eye as well. Something tells me I'm going to be dreaming about Cheesecake Factory in the nights to come.
  • Post #20 - June 23rd, 2017, 11:26 am
    Post #20 - June 23rd, 2017, 11:26 am Post #20 - June 23rd, 2017, 11:26 am
    This thread reminded me of a fascinating article in The New Yorker that takes an inside look into the operations of The Cheesecake Factory and what big medicine can learn from it.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/08/13/big-med

Shortly after I read this article, I found myself at a Factory. I ordered the roast chicken and it was a juicy, schmaltzy, crispy-skinned delight. Better than the one at my neighbourhood French bistro. (I believe it's the "lemon-herb roasted chicken" from the menu but mine was definitely not as saucy as their online menu pic).

I walk past a Factory very often and, initially, would stop in for a drink sort of as a joke. Then we found ourselves secretly enjoying the vibe. Then, not so secretly. When I'm peckish, I get the Skinnylicious® hamburger and it's tasty. But if I were you, I'd go balls out on the crazy signature dishes.
  • Post #21 - June 23rd, 2017, 11:42 am
    Post #21 - June 23rd, 2017, 11:42 am Post #21 - June 23rd, 2017, 11:42 am
    Regarding the meatloaf, years ago I ate at the Cheesecake Factory with my parents. My mom ordered the meatloaf and really enjoyed it. It was a huge portion, topped with lots of mashed potatoes and fried onions if I remember correctly. Unfortunately I didn't try any of it so I'm unable to describe its flavor. I can tell you that my parents have lived in the Midwest their entire life and are definitely meat and potato type of eaters who are not fond of anything to too "exotic" so I"m guessing it was a fairly standard recipe without any unusual spices added to it.
  • Post #22 - June 23rd, 2017, 2:22 pm
    Post #22 - June 23rd, 2017, 2:22 pm Post #22 - June 23rd, 2017, 2:22 pm
    Rene G wrote:I plan on reporting on my lunch, but it isn't for about a month. I hate to think about how much time I'm going to spend looking at the menu before then.

I think you'll need the whole month to look at it through given the breadth of the menu you are looking through :mrgreen:
  • Post #23 - June 23rd, 2017, 4:06 pm
    Post #23 - June 23rd, 2017, 4:06 pm Post #23 - June 23rd, 2017, 4:06 pm
    Dlongs wrote:
    Rene G wrote:I plan on reporting on my lunch, but it isn't for about a month. I hate to think about how much time I'm going to spend looking at the menu before then.

I think you'll need the whole month to look at it through given the breadth of the menu you are looking through :mrgreen:

And for the next Elizabeth menu, Chef Regan presents . . . Rene G and the Cheesecake Factory
  • Post #24 - June 23rd, 2017, 5:06 pm
    Post #24 - June 23rd, 2017, 5:06 pm Post #24 - June 23rd, 2017, 5:06 pm
    Dlongs wrote:I think you'll need the whole month to look at it through given the breadth of the menu you are looking through :mrgreen:

Q - Hey, wanna go out for a few drinks tonight?

A - I can't, man, I'm crammin' for Cheesecake Factory finals!
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #25 - June 24th, 2017, 8:48 am
    Post #25 - June 24th, 2017, 8:48 am Post #25 - June 24th, 2017, 8:48 am
    tatterdemalion wrote:This thread reminded me of a fascinating article in The New Yorker that takes an inside look into the operations of The Cheesecake Factory and what big medicine can learn from it.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/08/13/big-med

Shortly after I read this article, I found myself at a Factory. I ordered the roast chicken and it was a juicy, schmaltzy, crispy-skinned delight. Better than the one at my neighbourhood French bistro. (I believe it's the "lemon-herb roasted chicken" from the menu but mine was definitely not as saucy as their online menu pic).

I walk past a Factory very often and, initially, would stop in for a drink sort of as a joke. Then we found ourselves secretly enjoying the vibe. Then, not so secretly. When I'm peckish, I get the Skinnylicious® hamburger and it's tasty. But if I were you, I'd go balls out on the crazy signature dishes.

That was a really interesting article, thanks for sharing it.
  • Post #26 - June 24th, 2017, 11:36 am
    Post #26 - June 24th, 2017, 11:36 am Post #26 - June 24th, 2017, 11:36 am

Sorry, had to.
  • Post #27 - June 25th, 2017, 2:27 pm
    Post #27 - June 25th, 2017, 2:27 pm Post #27 - June 25th, 2017, 2:27 pm
    My issue with CF is just that I'm my experience it's careless. Last time my sister insisted we go I got a steak thinking, how do you screw up a steak? It was actually not bad at all, them I had a bite of the mashed potatoes that were clearly scooped out of a bucket with an ice cream scoop and as cold as if they had jut come out of the refrigerator. It's stuff like that - just carelessness.
  • Post #28 - June 27th, 2017, 12:03 pm
    Post #28 - June 27th, 2017, 12:03 pm Post #28 - June 27th, 2017, 12:03 pm
    I've eaten at the CF many times over the last 20 years and I have had it all - from careless WTF meals to "this is fantastic." Overall I usually have good meals there, and you could do so much worse. I miss one of my old favorites that's long gone - the open faced hot turkey sandwich. It was enough for 3 people (or one me), thick carved turkey over challah bread (I think) with a dark peppery gravy and their red skinned mashed potatoes. Man it was good comfort food.
  • Post #29 - June 27th, 2017, 12:50 pm
    Post #29 - June 27th, 2017, 12:50 pm Post #29 - June 27th, 2017, 12:50 pm
    Ram4 wrote:It was enough for 3 people (or one me)

:lol:
  • Post #30 - July 1st, 2017, 9:53 am
    Post #30 - July 1st, 2017, 9:53 am Post #30 - July 1st, 2017, 9:53 am
    TCF is one of my mainstays of suburban business travel in places where I don't have the energy to be disappointed by exploring local food. Their skinnylicious menu is solid enough in their pasta and faux-ethnic dishes, and I can sit at the bar or order takeout for the hotel. I'm usually out of there for $22 for one course and a soft drink, or $30 if I add some more vegetables. So it is per diem-friendly as well.

The cheesecake itself isn't generally worth the calories and price. Once in a blue moon, I will get a wedge of carrot cake as my dinner.
    "Fried chicken should unify us, as opposed to tearing us apart. " - Bomani Jones

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more