LTH Home

Revival Food Hall ... culinary awakening in the loop

Revival Food Hall ... culinary awakening in the loop
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - October 2nd, 2016, 8:21 pm
    Post #31 - October 2nd, 2016, 8:21 pm Post #31 - October 2nd, 2016, 8:21 pm
    For what it's worth we were there Friday night right before "Hamilton" as well, and while I can't say how hard the 7pm close is, I did notice that many of the venders seemed to be winding down or packing up. Antique Taco folks were standing on the counter, changing something on the sign, Mindy's was more or less picked clean, Poke had run out of brown rice, etc.. This was around 6 to 6:30, maybe. Still plenty of options, still busy, but definitely subdued and slowing down. Which is not a bad thing, given how crazy it can get at peak hours. And regardless, so glad to have it as an option there, because it's really perfect for the pre-theatre set. Lots of options, not slow, don't have to rush or wait for a check.
  • Post #32 - October 3rd, 2016, 10:59 am
    Post #32 - October 3rd, 2016, 10:59 am Post #32 - October 3rd, 2016, 10:59 am
    rubbbqco wrote:
    Snax wrote:Can those who have gone to Revival at dinner time attest to how hard the 7pm closing time is? Do they stop taking orders at 7, or make you leave right at 7? I have Hamilton tix for 730pm on Thursday, but can't make it downtown any earlier than 645, so I was hoping to grab a quick meal to gobble down before the show.

I'll take this one..
    The hall & bar are open till 9pm. Most stalls do stop selling at 7 (never earlier, & no "last call"), and Danke always stays open till 9ish.. at last weeks vendor meeting we did discuss the theater crowd, and all vendors were encouraged to use their discretion whether or not to stay open past 7.. I can't stress enough how delicious Danke's sandwiches are - probably one of my faves of the hall. So even if that's your only option, it's not a bad one. I would expect until we see a solid demand - most vendors will stop selling at seven; I know that's our plan as The Budlong.

I know it is a long day, but as a Loop diner it would not occur to me to even check Revival Hall because I assumed a hard stop at 7 pm. I had an early dinner on Friday night in the Loop, 6 pm, so had I known Revival Hall was an option I definitely would have suggested it. I think the theatre, movie goers, residents, workers, and holiday shoppers would be all over it if they knew they could walk over and definitely get food, FWIW. Perhaps a survey of patrons could assist.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #33 - October 3rd, 2016, 11:07 am
    Post #33 - October 3rd, 2016, 11:07 am Post #33 - October 3rd, 2016, 11:07 am
    I know it is a long day, but as a Loop diner it would not occur to me to even check Revival Hall because I assumed a hard stop at 7 pm. I had an early dinner on Friday night in the Loop, 6 pm, so had I known Revival Hall was an option I definitely would have suggested it. I think the theatre, movie goers, residents, workers, and holiday shoppers would be all over it if they knew they could walk over and definitely get food, FWIW. Perhaps a survey of patrons could assist.

The Hall definitely has plans to expand hours in the future. I won't comment specifically on the plans, I'll let the 16"OC guys elaborate as details are confirmed - but the opening hours were always just a starting point. On the vendor side, we have certainly enjoyed our loop tenancy thus far. It's a great market with great customers, we're happy to be here.
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://pitbarbq.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #34 - October 7th, 2016, 1:39 pm
    Post #34 - October 7th, 2016, 1:39 pm Post #34 - October 7th, 2016, 1:39 pm
    rubbbqco wrote:I can't stress enough how delicious Danke's sandwiches are - probably one of my faves of the hall. So even if that's your only option, it's not a bad one.

Enthusiastically seconded. A Danke sandwich and a craft cocktail (my wife "discovered" the French 75 there) from the bar and you're all set.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #35 - October 7th, 2016, 2:45 pm
    Post #35 - October 7th, 2016, 2:45 pm Post #35 - October 7th, 2016, 2:45 pm
    Kman wrote:
    rubbbqco wrote:I can't stress enough how delicious Danke's sandwiches are - probably one of my faves of the hall. So even if that's your only option, it's not a bad one.

Enthusiastically seconded. A Danke sandwich and a craft cocktail (my wife "discovered" the French 75 there) from the bar and you're all set.

And happily thirded. The Italian Spiderman is something special even with some Loop periphery perennial sub shops near enough by, and that "baguette" is one of the most impressive breads I've had in Chicago.

Antique Taco horchata milkshake is worthy competition for Black Dog for dessert. Smoque remains on point, with Barry there slicing often in these early weeks. The one thing I don't love is the NYC subway feel of the design (tile...so much tile...), making it loud even in off-hours and a little less encouraging for lingering.

I very much dig the collaborative vibe, and was daydreaming about a few of the anchor spots collaborating on a shared-menu table-service model for the evenings - the quality and variety of fresh ingredients per sq. ft. that must get packed up and out of the hall each afternoon is a boggling prospect.
  • Post #36 - October 10th, 2016, 3:12 pm
    Post #36 - October 10th, 2016, 3:12 pm Post #36 - October 10th, 2016, 3:12 pm
    Just returned to Revival again today for lunch. I've lost track of how many visits now since my office is so close, but should mention that even at 2pm today most tables were filled. No lines to speak of though at any stalls and by the time we left most diners had finished.

Anyways, I just wanted to post that I'm ecstatic to have a Smoque in the Loop. The brisket plate today was so succulent, tender and delicious, with great bark and outstanding flavor. Having the smoker on-site upstairs in the building was a great coup for Revival and Smoque, and the results are clearly demonstrated with the product. I'll definitely be returning soon.
  • Post #37 - October 12th, 2016, 9:43 am
    Post #37 - October 12th, 2016, 9:43 am Post #37 - October 12th, 2016, 9:43 am
    A sort of shout out to revival food hall in the NYT today.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/12/dinin ... ref=dining
  • Post #38 - November 2nd, 2016, 6:38 pm
    Post #38 - November 2nd, 2016, 6:38 pm Post #38 - November 2nd, 2016, 6:38 pm
    Santander wrote:Antique Taco horchata milkshake is worthy competition for Black Dog for dessert.

I was there Monday before the Bears game and after my shoyu ramen from Furious Spoon (excellent as usual, though I wish their noodles were thicker), I wanted some Black Dog gelato. Unfortunately, they were closed - are they always closed at 5:30? In any event, I had the horchata milkshake from Antique Taco. WOW - that is one fine shake, with nice texture from the rice that still neatly makes it through the straw. My only comment is that they put whipped cream on top -- I'd request it without the cream the next time. Still, among the very best milk shakes I've ever had.
  • Post #39 - November 7th, 2016, 5:44 pm
    Post #39 - November 7th, 2016, 5:44 pm Post #39 - November 7th, 2016, 5:44 pm
    Revival Food Hall adds Saturday brunch with Bloody Mary carts

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #40 - November 8th, 2016, 12:27 pm
    Post #40 - November 8th, 2016, 12:27 pm Post #40 - November 8th, 2016, 12:27 pm
    BR wrote:
    Santander wrote:Antique Taco horchata milkshake is worthy competition for Black Dog for dessert.

I was there Monday before the Bears game and after my shoyu ramen from Furious Spoon (excellent as usual, though I wish their noodles were thicker), I wanted some Black Dog gelato. Unfortunately, they were closed - are they always closed at 5:30?

Their web site says the Revival Hall Black Dog location is open M-F 11am-7pm.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #41 - November 16th, 2016, 6:57 pm
    Post #41 - November 16th, 2016, 6:57 pm Post #41 - November 16th, 2016, 6:57 pm
    You can also pick up some Black Dog at Herb 'n Kitchen at the Conrad Hilton (on your way over to Soldier Field), which is open 'til 11 pm 7 days a week:
    http://www.hiltonchicagohotel.com/hotel ... bnkitchen/
    "The fork with two prongs is in use in northern Europe. In England, they’re armed with a steel trident, a fork with three prongs. In France we have a fork with four prongs; it’s the height of civilization." Eugene Briffault (1846)
  • Post #42 - November 16th, 2016, 10:45 pm
    Post #42 - November 16th, 2016, 10:45 pm Post #42 - November 16th, 2016, 10:45 pm
    BR wrote:I wanted some Black Dog gelato. Unfortunately, they were closed - are they always closed at 5:30?

My love for their ice cream has been surpassed by their complete lack of regard for their posted opening and closing times. The final straw came when I called their Damen store while driving from River Forest to Chicago to make sure they'd be open in the 30 minutes my drive would take, this was still 2 hours before their posted closing time, but I'd learned from experience they regarded those times as suggestions. I arrived to find the store closed, with the staff cleaning up and they shrugged when I tried to tell them I was the person who'd just called. I can take a hint, they're not that interested in selling me their product and I've moved on.

Now back to Revival Food Hall.....
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #43 - November 17th, 2016, 9:24 am
    Post #43 - November 17th, 2016, 9:24 am Post #43 - November 17th, 2016, 9:24 am
    mbh wrote:
    BR wrote:I wanted some Black Dog gelato. Unfortunately, they were closed - are they always closed at 5:30?

My love for their ice cream has been surpassed by their complete lack of regard for their posted opening and closing times. The final straw came when I called their Damen store while driving from River Forest to Chicago to make sure they'd be open in the 30 minutes my drive would take, this was still 2 hours before their posted closing time, but I'd learned from experience they regarded those times as suggestions. I arrived to find the store closed, with the staff cleaning up and they shrugged when I tried to tell them I was the person who'd just called. I can take a hint, they're not that interested in selling me their product and I've moved on.

thanks for this post: i totally agree. i'm addicted to their gelato (a few flavors, not all of them), but they do show a careless disregard for their customers. one visit this fall, i wanted to load up with some pints and they were out of containers. a few days later i went back, and i was turned away at the door because the electricity had just died. i asked if i could buy some day old pints before they melted and the answer was 'no, i dont know how to work the register'.... many times they aren't open at their posted hours. i try to call first now when i go.... can't find better gelato.
  • Post #44 - November 17th, 2016, 8:34 pm
    Post #44 - November 17th, 2016, 8:34 pm Post #44 - November 17th, 2016, 8:34 pm
    justjoan wrote:
    mbh wrote:

thanks for this post: i totally agree. i'm addicted to their gelato (a few flavors, not all of them), but they do show a careless disregard for their customers. one visit this fall, i wanted to load up with some pints and they were out of containers. a few days later i went back, and i was turned away at the door because the electricity had just died. i asked if i could buy some day old pints before they melted and the answer was 'no, i dont know how to work the register'.... many times they aren't open at their posted hours. i try to call first now when i go.... can't find better gelato.

If there's no electricity wouldn't the register be out of action, too? I mean, unless they are using an ancient non-electric register, which seems unlikely.
  • Post #45 - November 20th, 2016, 8:34 pm
    Post #45 - November 20th, 2016, 8:34 pm Post #45 - November 20th, 2016, 8:34 pm
    Met up with a friend on Saturday afternoon to check out the new brunch scene. We both had The Budlong's "Love Biscuit", hot, which is a fried chicken breast smothered with gravy and served as a sandwich within their (large) biscuit. I've had the biscuit before as a side with the dark platter I normally order and while I thought it was tasty it was just too large and thick for my taste as a side. As a sandwich bread, though, it works quite well here. Both of us enjoyed these very much (I couldn't finish mine). Along with an excellent "Classic" bloody mary from the bar, which had a touch of oyster liquor that gave it a very fresh "ocean" taste, it was a great meal to tide us over until a much later dinner.
  • Post #46 - December 18th, 2016, 8:25 am
    Post #46 - December 18th, 2016, 8:25 am Post #46 - December 18th, 2016, 8:25 am
    Going to a weekday matinee of The Nutcracker @ The Auditorium Theater. My sister suggested lunch @ Revival Food Hall. I'd love to go, but concerned about timing. I figure it will take us about 15 minutes to walk over there, we're meeting some other people, so I'd like to be there a bit early, so we'd need to be out the door by 1:30. Any idea on how early we should get there? If it's a total mob scene at 12:30ish, any suggestions on something good, but no more than about $15 for lunch @ a reasonable walking distance to the Auditorium?
  • Post #47 - December 18th, 2016, 3:03 pm
    Post #47 - December 18th, 2016, 3:03 pm Post #47 - December 18th, 2016, 3:03 pm
    which weekday? Mondays are slow-er, Fridays busier. T, W, Th it varies... Our line to plate times are about 30 minutes on a busy Friday, only about 10-15 minutes on a Monday... If you can possibly get there at 1145, you'll also avoid the lines...
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://pitbarbq.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #48 - December 18th, 2016, 3:07 pm
    Post #48 - December 18th, 2016, 3:07 pm Post #48 - December 18th, 2016, 3:07 pm
    knitgirl wrote:If it's a total mob scene at 12:30ish, any suggestions on something good, but no more than about $15 for lunch @ a reasonable walking distance to the Auditorium?

I can't say anything about Revival Food Hall, since I haven't been there yet, but there are lots of other options within a five minute walk or so. Most of them are pretty good at getting people through reasonably quickly at lunchtime (40-60 minutes for a sit-down lunch, and much less than that for fast casual places like Pret a Manger, Hannah's Bretzel, Pot Belly, etc) especially if you let them know when you need to be done. Earlier this year I had lunch at Seven Lions, on Michigan Avenue a couple blocks north of the Auditorium, and loved it; their menu features a $13 special of a half sandwich (the short rib sandwich is outstanding) and a cup of soup of the day.
  • Post #49 - December 18th, 2016, 8:04 pm
    Post #49 - December 18th, 2016, 8:04 pm Post #49 - December 18th, 2016, 8:04 pm
    knitgirl wrote:If it's a total mob scene at 12:30ish, any suggestions on something good, but no more than about $15 for lunch @ a reasonable walking distance to the Auditorium?

Cafecito is less than a block away from the Auditorium and would be an excellent lunch option!
  • Post #50 - December 19th, 2016, 6:31 am
    Post #50 - December 19th, 2016, 6:31 am Post #50 - December 19th, 2016, 6:31 am
    rubbbqco wrote:which weekday? Mondays are slow-er, Fridays busier. T, W, Th it varies... Our line to plate times are about 30 minutes on a busy Friday, only about 10-15 minutes on a Monday... If you can possibly get there at 1145, you'll also avoid the lines...

Thanks, it's this Wednesday. I don't know that I'd be able to get there that early, so we may try another option this time. Please keep them coming.
  • Post #51 - December 19th, 2016, 7:50 am
    Post #51 - December 19th, 2016, 7:50 am Post #51 - December 19th, 2016, 7:50 am
    knitgirl wrote:
    rubbbqco wrote:which weekday? Mondays are slow-er, Fridays busier. T, W, Th it varies... Our line to plate times are about 30 minutes on a busy Friday, only about 10-15 minutes on a Monday... If you can possibly get there at 1145, you'll also avoid the lines...

Thanks, it's this Wednesday. I don't know that I'd be able to get there that early, so we may try another option this time. Please keep them coming.

Keep in mind that the Loops may be somewhat vacant on 12/21 . . . no way crowds will be the same as a non-holiday week. . . . might be worth checking out.
  • Post #52 - December 19th, 2016, 4:54 pm
    Post #52 - December 19th, 2016, 4:54 pm Post #52 - December 19th, 2016, 4:54 pm
    Went today at 1:30 pm.

Split a large Union pizza with mushrooms, leeks, and walnut Pesto. The crust was great. I needed to blot the slices but they were good.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #53 - December 20th, 2016, 11:05 am
    Post #53 - December 20th, 2016, 11:05 am Post #53 - December 20th, 2016, 11:05 am
    Lerdawg wrote:

Cafecito is less than a block away from the Auditorium and would be an excellent lunch option!

Cafecito (on Wells at least) can have a line out the door most weekday lunchtimes. The couple of times I've been to the original, they had pretty long lines too, but that may be less now that there are two locations.
  • Post #54 - December 20th, 2016, 4:44 pm
    Post #54 - December 20th, 2016, 4:44 pm Post #54 - December 20th, 2016, 4:44 pm
    Kid Charlemagne wrote:
    Lerdawg wrote:

Cafecito (on Wells at least) can have a line out the door most weekday lunchtimes. The couple of times I've been to the original, they had pretty long lines too, but that may be less now that there are two locations.

Just as an FYI, they've opened a third location at 215 E. Chestnut.
  • Post #55 - December 21st, 2016, 1:08 pm
    Post #55 - December 21st, 2016, 1:08 pm Post #55 - December 21st, 2016, 1:08 pm
    Just got back from Revival Food Hall and it was still pretty crowded despite being days before the holiday. Got there about 11:45 and there was already a short wait to order at The Budlong.

By the way, I had not eaten at The Budlong before and that is really fabulous chicken. I got the small dark, hot. The heat level was just right for me. The meat was incredibly juicy and tender. I cut the leg from the wing using the plastic knife provided with no problem - and yet the chicken was not mushy or falling apart. I think it makes a difference that not only are they doing a great job cooking and seasoning, but they are starting out with very good chicken in the first place, which I suspect is not the case at some fried chicken places.
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #56 - February 24th, 2017, 9:53 am
    Post #56 - February 24th, 2017, 9:53 am Post #56 - February 24th, 2017, 9:53 am
    Stopped by the Hot Chocolate Bakery this morning for a little treat with my coffee. There were so many delicious options, so I asked for guidance. I was told that if I haven't had Mindy's donuts, I should. Suggestion accepted. ;-) I went with a hot fudge iced donut and a slice of the hazelnut coffee cake. The donut was excellent, as was the bite of coffee cake I tried. (Saving the rest for later.) Glad I decided to stop in.
    -Mary
  • Post #57 - April 21st, 2017, 11:45 am
    Post #57 - April 21st, 2017, 11:45 am Post #57 - April 21st, 2017, 11:45 am
    I'm sensing a theme for myself. Donuts are a theme I can totally get behind. ;-) The glazed lemon (maybe lavender too?) donut from Hot Chocolate Bakery this morning was exactly what I needed. As a bonus, they had samples of their hazelnut loaf. Win-win!
    -Mary
  • Post #58 - January 26th, 2018, 8:10 am
    Post #58 - January 26th, 2018, 8:10 am Post #58 - January 26th, 2018, 8:10 am
    IMG_0054.jpg
    BopnGrill has opened a pop-up in Revival Food Hall.

For North siders this will elicit a yawn as there have been threads about it going back to 2010 http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=28591&start=30

For me it new and fun to try, just a block from my office.
    Had Kimchee Fries, Duxelle Burger and the Korean Beer (which is how they list it).

Kimchee fries were awesome. Rich, delicious, a little spicy, just great. I ate them with chopsticks because it was easier to get a bit of kimchee and fry together, which is hard to do with your hand.

Duxelle burger was similarly rich and delicious.

A lot of flavors going on there, all really tasty. The burger and fries were each so rich that in future I would get one or the other, not both. They could use something light and crunchy like the Wasabi cole slaw that Zenwich has to cut through the richness of the other stuff...

I got the 'korean beer' to go with it. $5 for a 12oz can that tastes like Old Milwaukee or Schaefer. Terrible and so overpriced. I wished I had good beer to go with the rich tasty food. Probably another place in Revival Food Hall has a better beer.
  • Post #59 - June 6th, 2018, 12:24 pm
    Post #59 - June 6th, 2018, 12:24 pm Post #59 - June 6th, 2018, 12:24 pm
    Had a super tasty Budlong fried chicken sandwich at Revival Food Hall today. Im not a fan of Nashville hot but the naked is just good ol' fried chicken, slaw, pickles, all homemade. One of the best FCS in the City!

Ive been thinking the crowds would die down but Revival is still absolutely bananas at 11:45! Speaks to the great variety and high quality food. An amazing place, if insane for a couple hours in the middle of the day.
  • Post #60 - June 6th, 2018, 2:44 pm
    Post #60 - June 6th, 2018, 2:44 pm Post #60 - June 6th, 2018, 2:44 pm
    Looking forward to trying Duck Inn Dogs when it takes over the TriBecca’s Cubano spot in July.

https://chicago.eater.com/2018/5/31/174 ... vin-hickey

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more