LTH Home

The Budlong--now THIS is Nashville Hot!

The Budlong--now THIS is Nashville Hot!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 5 
  • Post #121 - March 7th, 2018, 4:37 pm
    Post #121 - March 7th, 2018, 4:37 pm Post #121 - March 7th, 2018, 4:37 pm
    rubbbqco wrote:
    Any ETA on the Merchandise Mart location opening


    yep - we're moving along quickly with construction; the contractors turn it over to us last week in March.. We'll need a week to put the finishing touches on it, move employees over, and develop systems... so, early April is a pretty accurate estimate.. We are very much looking forward to this opening!


    Thanks for the response, very excited for you to open hopefully very soon!
  • Post #122 - March 7th, 2018, 4:58 pm
    Post #122 - March 7th, 2018, 4:58 pm Post #122 - March 7th, 2018, 4:58 pm
    We're scheduled now for April 11th...
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://www.bbqsupply.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #123 - April 7th, 2018, 4:04 pm
    Post #123 - April 7th, 2018, 4:04 pm Post #123 - April 7th, 2018, 4:04 pm
    Any ETA on the Merchandise Mart location opening


    UPDATE: we've passed all inspections and are slated for 4/16 opening at The Mart... The Budlong @ The Mart... we couldn't be more excited... 8) :lol:
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://www.bbqsupply.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #124 - April 9th, 2018, 10:27 am
    Post #124 - April 9th, 2018, 10:27 am Post #124 - April 9th, 2018, 10:27 am
    rubbbqco wrote:
    Any ETA on the Merchandise Mart location opening


    UPDATE: we've passed all inspections and are slated for 4/16 opening at The Mart... The Budlong @ The Mart... we couldn't be more excited... 8) :lol:


    Glad to hear. Very excited for this option. I hope you got extra stanchions for the line.
  • Post #125 - April 18th, 2018, 10:53 am
    Post #125 - April 18th, 2018, 10:53 am Post #125 - April 18th, 2018, 10:53 am
    Is MM open yet? Don't want to make the trek and be bummed out.....
  • Post #126 - April 18th, 2018, 11:01 am
    Post #126 - April 18th, 2018, 11:01 am Post #126 - April 18th, 2018, 11:01 am
    Is MM open yet?
    yes, we opened Monday. Current hours - 10:30am-SOLD OUT (we try to last till 6, but last 2 days we've sold every single piece of chicken we could prep in our refrigeration).. our stanchions start to fill around 11/11:15 (last 2 days) and order line is running about 5 min/row (up to 5 rows have been filled at peak times), and then ticket times are running 5-7 minutes after order. Super happy with the crowd, just wanted to manage your expectations for time.. We'll be open for breakfast at 730 starting next week
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://www.bbqsupply.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #127 - April 19th, 2018, 6:37 am
    Post #127 - April 19th, 2018, 6:37 am Post #127 - April 19th, 2018, 6:37 am
    this week has been nuts.. very grateful and humbling to see the crowds out for opening week at The Mart...

    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://www.bbqsupply.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #128 - September 26th, 2018, 3:17 pm
    Post #128 - September 26th, 2018, 3:17 pm Post #128 - September 26th, 2018, 3:17 pm
    As mentioned by LPython on the O&C thread and reported at Block Club Chicago, The Budlong in Lincoln Square closed abruptly this week . . .

    Last week, Budlong Hot Chicken was promoting brunch at its Lincoln Square restaurant. But on Tuesday, the place looked like a shell of its former self.

    The hot chicken shop at 4619 N. Western Ave. is closed, an employee of another Budlong restaurant said Wednesday morning.

    “Boxes full of kitchen supplies were in the window, tables and chairs had been either removed and pushed to the side, the hours have been removed from the front door,” neighbor Sarah Howgate told Block Club.

    Howgate was passing by Budlong’s Lincoln Square location at about 5:45 p.m Tuesday when she first noticed the business appeared closed for an extended amount of time. The restaurant is usually open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday-Sunday, according to operating hours posted on the chicken shop’s website.

    =R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #129 - September 26th, 2018, 9:35 pm
    Post #129 - September 26th, 2018, 9:35 pm Post #129 - September 26th, 2018, 9:35 pm
    alessio20 wrote:I recently tried the Lincoln Square Budlong. Living two blocks away, I have been eagerly awaiting its opening. Unfortunately, my first visit was likely my last.

    Love the space, had excellent service and the food was fine. Curmudgeon alert: this place is way too expensive. I feel that it is somewhat frowned upon on this site to factor price into our commentary, but for some of us, it is a factor. Nine bucks for a quarter chicken “plate”* ?!?! With no sides.

    I understand the economics; rent is high, so is other overhead, along with the cost of Portlandia chickens and expectations of investors. However, economics also need to take into account what the market will bear, volume, location, competition and other factors. I could see these prices being acceptable and sustainable downtown amidst office buildings and heavier foot traffic, but good luck in this spot.


    Let me put it this way, I live two blocks away. Would you rather have people like me (not personality-wise but customer potential-wise) come in once or twice a week to spend six or seven bucks (about the price of equivalent meal at The Roost, btw), or to come in once every few months to spend nine bucks? Again, that is without sides, drink, tax, tip. I actually spent nearly twenty when all was said and done. I’d much rather go to Harold’s or The Roost.

    Jared seems like a great dude and I admire his passion and commitment. Please just consider this some constructive feedback and a point of reference for people who might care about the tradeoff between price and satisfaction.

    * plate means you get a slice of Texas Toast and two pickle slices
  • Post #130 - September 27th, 2018, 6:54 am
    Post #130 - September 27th, 2018, 6:54 am Post #130 - September 27th, 2018, 6:54 am
    Probably worth sharing this prior post from Jared:

    rubbbqco wrote:
    I recently tried the Lincoln Square Budlong. Living two blocks away, I have been eagerly awaiting its opening. Unfortunately, my first visit was likely my last.

    Love the space, had excellent service and the food was fine. Curmudgeon alert: this place is way too expensive. I feel that it is somewhat frowned upon on this site to factor price into our commentary, but for some of us, it is a factor. Nine bucks for a quarter chicken “plate”* ?!?! With no sides.

    I understand the economics; rent is high, so is other overhead, along with the cost of Portlandia chickens and expectations of investors. However, economics also need to take into account what the market will bear, volume, location, competition and other factors. I could see these prices being acceptable and sustainable downtown amidst office buildings and heavier foot traffic, but good luck in this spot.


    Hey alessio20... Thanks for coming in to try us. Some of the factors you mentioned - using a good quality bird, nice buildout, etc. are factors. Some that you didn't mention were eco-friendly packaging, higher wages in Chicago, using premium oil, premium fryers with filtration systems to make the best chicken possible, our slurry, breading, and hot paste... along with making every single side, sauce, dressing, and even pickles in house... Our approach to cooking is the same as in a fine dining restaurant - everything fresh, everything from scratch, everything top quality. While we are more expensive than Harold's (or Roost I suppose), the quality reflects that.

    To be transparent, our food costs are 30 %, and our labor is around 30%. We try to keep our prime # (labor + food) at or below 60%. If you don't do this, you will fail (which is why many do). 10% to rent, 15-20% to equipment, maintenance, management, legal fees, licensing, insurance, etc. That leaves me with approximately 10% profit margins that we pay 30-40% taxes on. So, when a customer pays $9 for a chicken 1/4, we can hope to make .90 or .60 after taxes.
    Eating out has become expensive over the past 10 years - with labor, taxes, food costs, etc. all on the rise. Add to that fast casual restaurants that make everything from scratch - while I get that it's not cheap, it's also not gauging or overpriced...

    Would you rather have a great restaurant that prices their food responsibly and stays in business, or an inexperienced operator that runs on too slim of margins and doesn't last a year?

    I probably went on longer than I needed to, but those are the #'s. I admit, when I opened RUB I charged $7 for a pulled pork sandwich because I understood restaurants as a consumer - now I understand the real #'s and what to charge to stay in business and pay my staff a living wage (my dishwashers makes $14/hour)... I am trying to help you understand the prices, not defend my position (though I suppose I am doing both). hope that all makes sense..

    Gotta get back to my chickens.... :D :D

    Jared
    I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted, cured meats. (Seinfeld)

    Twitter: brbinchicago
  • Post #131 - September 27th, 2018, 8:35 am
    Post #131 - September 27th, 2018, 8:35 am Post #131 - September 27th, 2018, 8:35 am
    BR wrote:Probably worth sharing this prior post from Jared:

    rubbbqco wrote:
    I recently tried the Lincoln Square Budlong. Living two blocks away, I have been eagerly awaiting its opening. Unfortunately, my first visit was likely my last.

    Love the space, had excellent service and the food was fine. Curmudgeon alert: this place is way too expensive. I feel that it is somewhat frowned upon on this site to factor price into our commentary, but for some of us, it is a factor. Nine bucks for a quarter chicken “plate”* ?!?! With no sides.

    I understand the economics; rent is high, so is other overhead, along with the cost of Portlandia chickens and expectations of investors. However, economics also need to take into account what the market will bear, volume, location, competition and other factors. I could see these prices being acceptable and sustainable downtown amidst office buildings and heavier foot traffic, but good luck in this spot.


    Hey alessio20... Thanks for coming in to try us. Some of the factors you mentioned - using a good quality bird, nice buildout, etc. are factors. Some that you didn't mention were eco-friendly packaging, higher wages in Chicago, using premium oil, premium fryers with filtration systems to make the best chicken possible, our slurry, breading, and hot paste... along with making every single side, sauce, dressing, and even pickles in house... Our approach to cooking is the same as in a fine dining restaurant - everything fresh, everything from scratch, everything top quality. While we are more expensive than Harold's (or Roost I suppose), the quality reflects that.

    To be transparent, our food costs are 30 %, and our labor is around 30%. We try to keep our prime # (labor + food) at or below 60%. If you don't do this, you will fail (which is why many do). 10% to rent, 15-20% to equipment, maintenance, management, legal fees, licensing, insurance, etc. That leaves me with approximately 10% profit margins that we pay 30-40% taxes on. So, when a customer pays $9 for a chicken 1/4, we can hope to make .90 or .60 after taxes.
    Eating out has become expensive over the past 10 years - with labor, taxes, food costs, etc. all on the rise. Add to that fast casual restaurants that make everything from scratch - while I get that it's not cheap, it's also not gauging or overpriced...

    Would you rather have a great restaurant that prices their food responsibly and stays in business, or an inexperienced operator that runs on too slim of margins and doesn't last a year?

    I probably went on longer than I needed to, but those are the #'s. I admit, when I opened RUB I charged $7 for a pulled pork sandwich because I understood restaurants as a consumer - now I understand the real #'s and what to charge to stay in business and pay my staff a living wage (my dishwashers makes $14/hour)... I am trying to help you understand the prices, not defend my position (though I suppose I am doing both). hope that all makes sense..

    Gotta get back to my chickens.... :D :D

    Jared


    BR, totally agree and meant to include that. I suck with using the quote function. Still reinforces the point that this location was not sustainable given all these factors. As I have repeatedly suggested, Jared is a great guy putting out quality food. Just like to add my perspective. Looks like (thankfully) the higher volume locations are kicking ass and I hope they continue to do so.
  • Post #132 - September 27th, 2018, 8:39 am
    Post #132 - September 27th, 2018, 8:39 am Post #132 - September 27th, 2018, 8:39 am
    alessio20 wrote:BR, totally agree and meant to include that. I suck with using the quote function. Still reinforces the point that this location was not sustainable given all these factors. As I have repeatedly suggested, Jared is a great guy putting out quality food. Just like to add my perspective. Looks like (thankfully) the higher volume locations are kicking ass and I hope they continue to do so.

    In fairness, we do not yet know exactly why he closed this location.
    I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted, cured meats. (Seinfeld)

    Twitter: brbinchicago
  • Post #133 - September 27th, 2018, 8:41 am
    Post #133 - September 27th, 2018, 8:41 am Post #133 - September 27th, 2018, 8:41 am
    Jared has a lot of balls in the air with opening new locations and concepts in Colorado in addition to his Illinois businesses.
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #134 - September 27th, 2018, 9:01 am
    Post #134 - September 27th, 2018, 9:01 am Post #134 - September 27th, 2018, 9:01 am
    Hey guys - All is well, there was just simply a lack of foot traffic in that area. We are shifting our resources to the busier locations along with opening a new location at Northwestern on Monday.
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://www.bbqsupply.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #135 - September 27th, 2018, 9:58 am
    Post #135 - September 27th, 2018, 9:58 am Post #135 - September 27th, 2018, 9:58 am
    rubbbqco wrote:Hey guys - All is well, there was just simply a lack of foot traffic in that area. We are shifting our resources to the busier locations along with opening a new location at Northwestern on Monday.


    Thanks, as always, for giving us the insiders' perspective. Yeah, foot traffic was my biggest concern. Glad you gave it a shot and admire knowing when to pull up stakes. Keep on crushing it!!
  • Post #136 - September 29th, 2018, 7:16 am
    Post #136 - September 29th, 2018, 7:16 am Post #136 - September 29th, 2018, 7:16 am
    rubbbqco wrote:Hey guys - All is well, there was just simply a lack of foot traffic in that area. We are shifting our resources to the busier locations along with opening a new location at Northwestern on Monday.

    A week after closing in Lincoln Square, The Budlong is opening at Northwestern University. Students can get Nashville hot fried chicken and more. Northwestern University’s Norris University Canter, 1999 Campus Drive, Evanston.

    https://chicago.eater.com/2018/9/28/179 ... -fall-2018
    Hors D'oeuvre: A ham sandwich cut into forty pieces.
    - Jack Benny
  • Post #137 - January 16th, 2019, 1:01 pm
    Post #137 - January 16th, 2019, 1:01 pm Post #137 - January 16th, 2019, 1:01 pm
    After Four Months, Nashville Hot Chicken’s Returning to Lincoln Square

    https://chicago.eater.com/2019/1/16/181 ... -back-open
    Hors D'oeuvre: A ham sandwich cut into forty pieces.
    - Jack Benny
  • Post #138 - January 17th, 2019, 2:40 pm
    Post #138 - January 17th, 2019, 2:40 pm Post #138 - January 17th, 2019, 2:40 pm
    Lunch w/ Jared at The Budlong Western Ave. The hot chicken even better than I remembered. #lowslowbbq
    BudlongW2.jpg Budlong Western Ave, quarter dark Nashville Hot Chicken

    BudlongW1.jpg G Wiv, Jared (Owner, Budlong)

    (Full disclosure, Jared treated for lunch, the Nashville Hot chicken was delicious on its own merit and I, contrary to rumor, can not be bought for a chicken leg)

    The Budlong, Count me a Fan!
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #139 - January 17th, 2019, 3:36 pm
    Post #139 - January 17th, 2019, 3:36 pm Post #139 - January 17th, 2019, 3:36 pm
    Does anyone know if the Beacon Street Market is dead in the water now?

    For context, it was supposed to be a small food hall in Uptown with a Budlong, BBQ Supply Co, deli and outside patio.
    https://www.beaconstmarket.com/
  • Post #140 - January 17th, 2019, 5:38 pm
    Post #140 - January 17th, 2019, 5:38 pm Post #140 - January 17th, 2019, 5:38 pm
    lodasi wrote:Does anyone know if the Beacon Street Market is dead in the water now?

    For context, it was supposed to be a small food hall in Uptown with a Budlong, BBQ Supply Co, deli and outside patio.
    https://www.beaconstmarket.com/


    I think this Eater article confirmed it wasn't happening:

    https://chicago.eater.com/2018/6/19/174 ... b-broadway
  • Post #141 - January 17th, 2019, 5:56 pm
    Post #141 - January 17th, 2019, 5:56 pm Post #141 - January 17th, 2019, 5:56 pm
    Lerdawg wrote:
    lodasi wrote:Does anyone know if the Beacon Street Market is dead in the water now?

    For context, it was supposed to be a small food hall in Uptown with a Budlong, BBQ Supply Co, deli and outside patio.
    https://www.beaconstmarket.com/


    I think this Eater article confirmed it wasn't happening:

    https://chicago.eater.com/2018/6/19/174 ... b-broadway


    Different food hall/restaurants, Mike. Aren't you in Mexico right now?
  • Post #142 - January 17th, 2019, 8:47 pm
    Post #142 - January 17th, 2019, 8:47 pm Post #142 - January 17th, 2019, 8:47 pm
    Does anyone know if the Beacon Street Market is dead in the water now


    Sadly, yes. I was very excited about the project - but black iron (ventilation) issues, lack of a proper building sprinkling system, and a variety of other construction woes put this outside of what we were able to tackle (financially).
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://www.bbqsupply.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #143 - January 18th, 2019, 7:29 am
    Post #143 - January 18th, 2019, 7:29 am Post #143 - January 18th, 2019, 7:29 am
    Gary--

    From above: (Full disclosure, Jared treated for lunch, the Nashville Hot chicken was delicious on its own merit and I, contrary to rumor, can not be bought for a chicken leg)

    But...a leg AND a thigh?
  • Post #144 - January 18th, 2019, 8:09 am
    Post #144 - January 18th, 2019, 8:09 am Post #144 - January 18th, 2019, 8:09 am
    G Wiv wrote:Lunch w/ Jared at The Budlong Western Ave. The hot chicken even better than I remembered. #lowslowbbq
    ...
    The Budlong, Count me a Fan!

    My guess is the first hashtag was a habit born out of the necessities of book marketing. But at this point, I think it's time you take ownership of #CountMeaFan. I can't wait to see it up in the window of restaurants along with other, lesser, accolades.
  • Post #145 - January 18th, 2019, 8:57 am
    Post #145 - January 18th, 2019, 8:57 am Post #145 - January 18th, 2019, 8:57 am
    bweiny wrote:I think it's time you take ownership of #CountMeaFan.
    Along with lowslowbbq and a few other .com domains I have countmeafan.com I keep meaning to do something, anything, with it but then something shiny catches my eye and I end up in Cleveland eating a tuna sandwich. #CountMeaFan would be a good way to ease into it, thanks for the suggestion.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #146 - January 18th, 2019, 11:20 am
    Post #146 - January 18th, 2019, 11:20 am Post #146 - January 18th, 2019, 11:20 am
    A friend of mine had their 30th birthday party at Hattie B's in Nashville, so I got to compare the Budlong to the "real deal". I gotta say they are pretty close. The Budlong has more or a crunchy, lacquered, drier crust while Hattie B's crust is thinner, crispier, and more oily. I think the Budlong has a more complex spice mix which I liked more, while Hattie's is more red pepper-forward. But overall pretty similar.

    The biggest difference was in the heat. The Budlong Hot was quite enjoyable for me while the Hattie's Hot had me toweling off a river of sweat in the men's room.

    If any LTHers get a chance, Hattie B's is definitely worth a visit. It has a very raucous and fun party atmosphere - actually the whole city of Nashville does.
  • Post #147 - January 18th, 2019, 1:30 pm
    Post #147 - January 18th, 2019, 1:30 pm Post #147 - January 18th, 2019, 1:30 pm
    rubbbqco wrote:
    Does anyone know if the Beacon Street Market is dead in the water now


    Sadly, yes. I was very excited about the project - but black iron (ventilation) issues, lack of a proper building sprinkling system, and a variety of other construction woes put this outside of what we were able to tackle (financially).


    Oh Uptown, come for the beautiful vintage buildings, leave because of the vintage building maintenance
  • Post #148 - January 24th, 2019, 3:53 pm
    Post #148 - January 24th, 2019, 3:53 pm Post #148 - January 24th, 2019, 3:53 pm
    eating while walking wrote:If any LTHers get a chance, Hattie B's is definitely worth a visit. It has a very raucous and fun party atmosphere - actually the whole city of Nashville does.


    If you go to the west side one off Charlotte (minutes off I-40), go across the street to Bobbie's Dairy Dip and get a cone to cool off your tongue.

    https://local.nashvillescene.com/locati ... dip.tm_Wck
    Coming to you from Leiper's Fork, TN where we prefer forking to spooning.
  • Post #149 - January 24th, 2019, 4:56 pm
    Post #149 - January 24th, 2019, 4:56 pm Post #149 - January 24th, 2019, 4:56 pm
    G Wiv wrote:something shiny catches my eye and I end up in Cleveland eating a tuna sandwich.


    What? Not a Polish Boy instead? ;)
    Ronnie said I should probably tell you guys about my website so

    Hey I have a website.
    http://www.sandwichtribunal.com

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more