LTH Home

Citrine and evolving Oak Park scene

Citrine and evolving Oak Park scene
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 14 of 29
  • Post #391 - September 1st, 2018, 10:49 pm
    Post #391 - September 1st, 2018, 10:49 pm Post #391 - September 1st, 2018, 10:49 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote: Finally have a name for the new brewpub at the corner of Lake and Austin...
    One Lake
    Per the Wednesday Home Journal Facebook announcement...
    Brewing tanks have arrived for installation this week at One Lake, the craft brewery currently under construction at the corner of Lake Street and Austin Boulevard. Another key step in the long conversion of the handsome old bank building into a multi-level beer pub.
    Good to hear about progress on this project.
    I am looking forward to sitting at the rooftop bar with a view overlooking the park along the “L” tracks and with a view of downtown.
    I have taken a few pictures of the edifice while waiting for a Pace bus (Rts. #309 | #313) at Austin & Lake. When this opens, it will become the closest brewery to a Green Line “L” station, displacing All Rise Brwg. (@ Ashland). :) Image
    Last edited by pudgym29 on September 26th, 2018, 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #392 - September 2nd, 2018, 8:22 am
    Post #392 - September 2nd, 2018, 8:22 am Post #392 - September 2nd, 2018, 8:22 am
    Family and I went to Hecho en Oak Park the other day. They have a somewhat small menu of tacos, mostly standards (carne asada, al pastor, pollo asada) with some less-common ones (camaron, pescado) and several vegetarian options (vegetariano [hibiscus "cooked al pastor style", whatever that means] and unlisted poblano and nopales).

I'm rather skeptical of al pastor when I don't see a trompa and of pollo generally, so I had the carne asada, camaron, and poblano tacos. The poblano was fine, nothing special. The carne asada was somewhat strange in that it appeared to be ground beef instead of the usual grilled strips of beef. It was tasty and juicy, but not quite your Platonic carne asada. The camaron was probably the highlight: it was well-cooked and served Yucatan-style with black beans and pickled red onions.

Regarding drinks: I (and several other members of the group) had the Mezcalucha, which is (strangely) a margarita with both tequila and mezcal. The cocktail expert in our group hypothesized that it's essentially their standard margarita with a mezcal floater. In any event, it was quite a lovely example of the genre; the smokiness of the mezcal came through quite nicely.
    The best food is well-spiced and well-fattened.
  • Post #393 - September 4th, 2018, 12:34 pm
    Post #393 - September 4th, 2018, 12:34 pm Post #393 - September 4th, 2018, 12:34 pm
    Tried to search for an associated post but was unsuccessful. :( The google search for the mobile version of the site sucks.

Scratch Deli
    7444 W Madison St, Forest Park

... has a sign in the window that the space is for sale.

C5667C6C-625C-4132-BDB1-3528298D5F68.jpeg

That is too bad as my visits there have been wonderful! Very good, fresh and inventive sandwiches. Nice and comfortable interior.

I also think they are no longer providing food at...

Slainte Irish Pub
    7505 Madison St, Forest Park

Once dubbed Scratch Kitchen West.

With their 2 successful operations in Oak Park...

Scratch On Lake
    1406, 733 Lake St, Oak Park

District Kitchen & Tap
    220 Harrison St, Oak Park

... it is not surprising. A location with a full bar to add to the profits is always a plus.

Just sorry to see this nice little deli go. :(

Edit: Their original location...

Scratch Kitchen & Lounge
    7445 W Madison St, Forest Park

... is still doing great! Although I think the quality of the Mac-n-Cheese has slipped a bit. Used to be rich and awesome...
    Last edited by Panther in the Den on September 4th, 2018, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #394 - September 4th, 2018, 2:11 pm
    Post #394 - September 4th, 2018, 2:11 pm Post #394 - September 4th, 2018, 2:11 pm
    Paanther...
    You Oak Park "annexers..."
    Scratch's original is still in FoPa. Still has a full bar. Still funky as ever.
    https://www.scratchfp.com/locations/scratch-kitchen-and-lounge-forest-park/
    7445 W Madison St Forest Park, IL

The deli was also a favorite of mine. GREAT Corned Beef, imo. Hood just wasn't feelin it. Lots of catering was coming out of there, but day to day sales of early coffee and noon + sammiches were not cutting it - even with decent specials, from what I've heard.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #395 - September 4th, 2018, 4:04 pm
    Post #395 - September 4th, 2018, 4:04 pm Post #395 - September 4th, 2018, 4:04 pm
    seebee wrote:Panther...
    You Oak Park "annexers..."
    Scratch's original is still in FoPa. Still has a full bar. Still funky as ever.
    https://www.scratchfp.com/locations/scratch-kitchen-and-lounge-forest-park/
    7445 W Madison St Forest Park, IL

The deli was also a favorite of mine. GREAT Corned Beef, imo. Hood just wasn't feelin it. Lots of catering was coming out of there, but day to day sales of early coffee and noon + sammiches were not cutting it - even with decent specials, from what I've heard.

Just talking about the deli being for lease and them stopping serving food at Slainte (named Scratch Kitchen West). Looks like they are using that name for the catering now?

http://mobile.forestparkreview.com/News ... ocal-bars/
    Last edited by Panther in the Den on September 4th, 2018, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #396 - September 4th, 2018, 7:51 pm
    Post #396 - September 4th, 2018, 7:51 pm Post #396 - September 4th, 2018, 7:51 pm
    seebee wrote:The deli was also a favorite of mine. GREAT Corned Beef, imo. Hood just wasn't feelin it. Lots of catering was coming out of there, but day to day sales of early coffee and noon + sammiches were not cutting it - even with decent specials, from what I've heard.

There are several area deli’s that squeak buy somehow...

Starship Subs
    Subtender
    Poor Boy
    Rachael’s
    ... the usual chains

... and I might suspect, compared to their other locations, the profit margins just weren’t as great. Maybe too much competition?

They definitely had a superior product.

You would think they could live without superior profits. :(
  • Post #397 - September 4th, 2018, 9:40 pm
    Post #397 - September 4th, 2018, 9:40 pm Post #397 - September 4th, 2018, 9:40 pm
    At 105 N. Marion St the home of King & I Thai Restaurant and Taylor's Gifts & Bonsai will be making way for a new restaurant...

Kalamata Kitchen

... co-owner Gus Karahalios said in a telephone interview that the 3,450-square-foot restaurant will feature Mediterranean-style cuisine, a bar with a DJ, coffee and hookahs. He expects the restaurant to seat about 150 people.

http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/7- ... on-Street/

Look for an opening this month.
  • Post #398 - September 4th, 2018, 10:36 pm
    Post #398 - September 4th, 2018, 10:36 pm Post #398 - September 4th, 2018, 10:36 pm
    What?

Altiro Latin Fusion
    107 N Oak Park Ave, Oak Park

Permanently Closed!

0A0C6F8B-4AA6-4D8B-BBE2-9698EF8703A7.jpeg Per their Facebook post...

Also confirmed on their Google Maps listing.

Never made it in there. :(
  • Post #399 - September 5th, 2018, 11:34 am
    Post #399 - September 5th, 2018, 11:34 am Post #399 - September 5th, 2018, 11:34 am
    Altiro closing is a wee bit surprising. As illogically proximate to near-identical concept Maya del Sol they were, there always seemed to be a capacity need, and they were bustling on my few visits.

I'll contrast by saying the food at Amerikas - not exactly the same goals but some menu overlap - is actually much stronger, but that place has been desolate each time I'm in or by. I had their playful take on carne en su jugo on a recent lunch which I clean-plated with a Binging with Babish level of enthusiasm. Hecho en Oak Park, La Parrillita, Tacabron, I'm just not sure which recent openings are truly survivable. I'm still sore from Axcan closing / reconcepting over in Forest Park Which Is Definitely Not Oak Park. I thought that was a particularly beautiful design with great pricepoints and strong execution.

Will Mulata Kitchen ever open? Taste of Brazil pao de queijo remains a hole in our family diet.
  • Post #400 - September 5th, 2018, 11:59 am
    Post #400 - September 5th, 2018, 11:59 am Post #400 - September 5th, 2018, 11:59 am
    Could have sworn Mulata (ugh, what a terrible name) was supposed to open last week, but ... I guess not. Altiro I thought was mediocre at best the one time we tried it, and it was like dining in a furniture showroom. But Amerikas, that place is great, I hope they are able to stick it out in that cursed spot! Hecho in Oak Park spot is cursed, too. How is the poke place? Another cursed spot!
  • Post #401 - September 5th, 2018, 12:13 pm
    Post #401 - September 5th, 2018, 12:13 pm Post #401 - September 5th, 2018, 12:13 pm
    Another loss on Oak Park Avenue...

Oberweis Ice Cream and Dairy Store
    124 N Oak Park Ave, Oak Park

... has a sign in the window indicating that the space is for lease.

A825EC9C-D7D3-4F47-9D13-4A529B61A78D.jpeg

Stepped inside and the staff confirmed and mentioned they were moving. Didn’t know where.
  • Post #402 - September 5th, 2018, 12:35 pm
    Post #402 - September 5th, 2018, 12:35 pm Post #402 - September 5th, 2018, 12:35 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:
    Altiro Latin Fusion
    107 N Oak Park Ave, Oak Park

Permanently Closed!

Walking by today and there were no signs of it closing (tables set) or signs in the windows.

Maybe it’s a bad dream? :)

They sure weren’t open for that long.

The one time we tried to visit (1/2 hour before the posted closing time) they were already shutting down, sweeping, locked doors, lights out.
  • Post #403 - September 5th, 2018, 12:53 pm
    Post #403 - September 5th, 2018, 12:53 pm Post #403 - September 5th, 2018, 12:53 pm
    Santander wrote:Altiro closing is a wee bit surprising. As illogically proximate to near-identical concept Maya del Sol...

Amerikas, Hecho en Oak Park, La Parrillita, Tacabron...
    ... and add the upcoming Kalamata Kitchen on Marion and Rustico a stones throw away.
    Santander wrote:I'm still sore from Axcan closing / reconcepting over in Forest Park Which Is Definitely Not Oak Park. I thought that was a particularly beautiful design with great pricepoints and strong execution.
    Wha??? Didn’t know. Not that I was a big fan (I prefer...
    New Rebozo
    1116 Madison St, Oak Park)

I’ll have to check out the reconcepting.
    Santander wrote:Will Mulata Kitchen ever open? Taste of Brazil pao de queijo remains a hole in our family diet.
    I do mention from time to time on Facebook and their reply is always
    It’s taking more time than we anticipated
    Speaking of ever opening...

MORA Asian Fusion
    210 Harrison St, Oak Park

Soft opening weeks ago, #openingsoon hashtag in every post showing delicious food.

I finally had to tell them to stop teasing and just open. They replied...
    Maybe another month.
    ???

Shit or get off the pot!
  • Post #404 - September 6th, 2018, 7:16 am
    Post #404 - September 6th, 2018, 7:16 am Post #404 - September 6th, 2018, 7:16 am
    MORA Asian Fusion
    210 Harrison St, Oak Park

Soft opening weeks ago, #openingsoon hashtag in every post showing delicious food.

I finally had to tell them to stop teasing and just open. They replied...
    Maybe another month.
    ???

Shit or get off the pot!

Was driving back from Pilsen late yesterday evening and it looked like some action happening at Mora. A few people sitting around the bar. Some employees dressed in uniform. Maybe still working out kinks? Either way the placed looked open, but on reflection could've been just ironing out aspects of operation. It is a great-looking spot though.
  • Post #405 - September 6th, 2018, 3:22 pm
    Post #405 - September 6th, 2018, 3:22 pm Post #405 - September 6th, 2018, 3:22 pm
    bobbywal wrote:Was driving back from Pilsen late yesterday evening and it looked like some action happening at Mora. A few people sitting around the bar. Some employees dressed in uniform. Maybe still working out kinks? Either way the placed looked open, but on reflection could've been just ironing out aspects of operation. It is a great-looking spot though.

Just got a reply on Facebook...
    MORA Asian Kitchen, Oak Park wrote:We just started training yesterday. Be sure to follow us on Facebook and or Instagram as we will be announcing the opening day very very soon!
    Last edited by Panther in the Den on September 12th, 2018, 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #406 - September 7th, 2018, 11:58 am
    Post #406 - September 7th, 2018, 11:58 am Post #406 - September 7th, 2018, 11:58 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:Another loss on Oak Park Avenue...

Stepped inside and the staff confirmed and mentioned they were moving. Didn’t know where.

Lease issues...
    https://www.oakparkeats.com/food-news/o ... -oak-park/

Wha???
    Red Mango
    1044 Lake St, Oak Park

Closed too?
  • Post #407 - September 7th, 2018, 12:27 pm
    Post #407 - September 7th, 2018, 12:27 pm Post #407 - September 7th, 2018, 12:27 pm
    Lol -
    Katies and Red Mango was one of my go-to "one two punches" with my in-laws from pasty-land. Out of necessity, we've graduated to LSC or MCCB + Joy Yee smoothies in Chinatown. They still claim to not like the avocado smoothies, but, they'll come around.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #408 - September 11th, 2018, 9:49 pm
    Post #408 - September 11th, 2018, 9:49 pm Post #408 - September 11th, 2018, 9:49 pm
    Santander wrote:I'm still sore from Axcan closing / reconcepting over in Forest Park Which Is Definitely Not Oak Park. I thought that was a particularly beautiful design with great pricepoints and strong execution

Mexican Republic Kitchen & Cantina
    7404 Madison St, Forest Park
  • Post #409 - September 11th, 2018, 9:58 pm
    Post #409 - September 11th, 2018, 9:58 pm Post #409 - September 11th, 2018, 9:58 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:Driving down Roosevelt I noticed a newer awning for a new restaurant...

C5B302D2-AB86-4DA3-8696-410EFE7916FF.jpeg

Brasas Restaurant and Pancake House
    6033 W Roosevelt Rd, Cicero

A quick google had me notice that this has the same title as the tiny hole in the wall a block to the east...

Opened maybe a month ago and looking forward to my visit!

Even though it roots are Mexican a peek at the menu looks American.

Also calling itself a creperie (only sweet).
  • Post #410 - September 12th, 2018, 9:38 am
    Post #410 - September 12th, 2018, 9:38 am Post #410 - September 12th, 2018, 9:38 am
    bobbywal wrote:Was driving back from Pilsen late yesterday evening and it looked like some action happening at Mora. A few people sitting around the bar. Some employees dressed in uniform. Maybe still working out kinks? Either way the placed looked open, but on reflection could've been just ironing out aspects of operation. It is a great-looking spot though.

Just got a reply on Facebook...
    MORA Asian Kitchen, Oak Park wrote:We just started training yesterday. Be sure to follow us on Facebook and or Instagram as we will be announcing the opening day very very soon!

Update via their Facebook page...
    MORA Asian Kitchen, Oak Park wrote:Hello, Oak Park neighbors!

The wait is finally over. Mark your calendars for our GRAND OPENING on Thursday, October 4th. We’ll kick things off with dinner service at 6PM after the ribbon cutting ceremony.

We’ll open for lunch and brunch as well in the upcoming weeks. Cannot wait to show you how pretty this space is and taste all the delicious food!

(201 W Harrison Street, Oak Park, IL)
  • Post #411 - September 15th, 2018, 3:10 pm
    Post #411 - September 15th, 2018, 3:10 pm Post #411 - September 15th, 2018, 3:10 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:Driving down Roosevelt I noticed a newer awning for a new restaurant...
    The attachment C5B302D2-AB86-4DA3-8696-410EFE7916FF.jpeg is no longer available

Brasas Restaurant and Pancake House
    6033 W Roosevelt Rd, Cicero

A quick google had me notice that this has the same title as the tiny hole in the wall a block to the east...

Opened maybe a month ago and looking forward to my visit!

Even though it roots are Mexican a peek at the menu looks American.

Also calling itself a creperie (only sweet).

Actually opened 2 months ago?

My Bride and I had some early morning traveling to do so a breakfast on the road sounded perfect.

... and there was a new breakfast place in the hood so...
    17D6D7D0-1FF3-4322-8336-CE69C1F198BB.jpeg Chilaquiles with green

Actually the best rendition I’ve had in the area! I was a little concerned about the thicker chip that was soaked but as a whole it worked great.

The green salsa packed a big punch and the crema was very creamy, without the sour cream bite. I did put the eggs (as they promised it would be coming out of the kitchen) and the bites with eggs were heavenly.

Even though the chips were throughly covered with the salsa their additional thickness preserved a little crunch.

Also had a bowl of...
    8B594713-6411-4EED-8949-253319BFFF63.jpeg Corn Chowder

A good amount of ingredients but the broth was a little loose. Not bad at all. A sliced, buttered and toasted roll was a nice side.

When described by the waitress she mentioned ‘cream’ and on the menu it is mentioned that cream soups come in a bread bowl. For now I will leave it to a waitress (minor) error.

Only 3 Mexican items and 3 southern on the menu. The rest traditional American.

This location used to be a private club in a prior life and it still shows, 7 big screen TVs, 6 decent JBL speakers pumping Metallica (!?!), a nice bar along one wall waiting for a liquor license and dinner service.

My Bride had 2 eggs, bacon, fruit and toast. All ala carte $10?!? 3 3 3 1
    I guess she should learn to order off of the menu?
  • Post #412 - September 20th, 2018, 8:51 am
    Post #412 - September 20th, 2018, 8:51 am Post #412 - September 20th, 2018, 8:51 am
    According to a sign in their window, Mora Asian Kitchen soft-opens today.

According to a sign in THEIR window, Two Brothers Social Tap has closed, which in my mind formalizes the former Marion Street (Cheese) Market space as an official LTH Location of the Damned where sustainable restaurants can never be. The sign cites "recent changes related to state regulation of licensing for Craft Brewers and Brewpubs" (sic) as the cause, but to all appearances, they were far from thriving. A couple of intensely blah experiences when they opened gave me no reason to return.

Some background on the cited legislation here.
  • Post #413 - September 20th, 2018, 9:27 am
    Post #413 - September 20th, 2018, 9:27 am Post #413 - September 20th, 2018, 9:27 am
    Mitigating legal circumstances or no, the last thing Oak Park needed was two brewpubs anchored to relatively unexciting brews (Two Brothers and Wild Onion) serving relatively unexciting comfort food, each down the block not just from each other but from Poor Phil's, which already has a good beer list and ... relatively unexciting comfort food, but at least with the occasional surprise (like the shellfish sandwiches).

What Oak Park needs, frankly, is a bar, with good beer and cocktails. The success of Beer Shop and Kinslahger proves the demand is there. Or maybe those two are enough!
  • Post #414 - September 20th, 2018, 3:17 pm
    Post #414 - September 20th, 2018, 3:17 pm Post #414 - September 20th, 2018, 3:17 pm
    Hmm:

https://www.oakparkeats.com/food-news/c ... -district/

Oak Parkers will soon get a taste of the bayou with a new restaurant coming to the Pleasant District that offers crab legs, crawfish – even fried alligator.

That’s just a fraction of the dishes that will be offered at Cajun Boil & Bar, 1109 South Boulevard, according to co-owner and operating partner Kurtis Lott. The restaurant takes the place of Connolly’s Public House, which closed last summer after about a year and a half in business.
  • Post #415 - September 20th, 2018, 3:21 pm
    Post #415 - September 20th, 2018, 3:21 pm Post #415 - September 20th, 2018, 3:21 pm
    Vitesse98 wrote:What Oak Park needs, frankly, is a bar, with good beer and cocktails. The success of Beer Shop and Kinslahger proves the demand is there. Or maybe those two are enough!

This was my sincere hope for Kinderhook Tap but...
  • Post #416 - September 20th, 2018, 3:59 pm
    Post #416 - September 20th, 2018, 3:59 pm Post #416 - September 20th, 2018, 3:59 pm
    ... but they focused on mediocre food at the expense of beer!
  • Post #417 - September 20th, 2018, 5:54 pm
    Post #417 - September 20th, 2018, 5:54 pm Post #417 - September 20th, 2018, 5:54 pm
    Vitesse98 wrote:Mitigating legal circumstances or no, the last thing Oak Park needed was two brewpubs anchored to relatively unexciting brews (Two Brothers and Wild Onion) serving relatively unexciting comfort food, each down the block not just from each other but from Poor Phil's, which already has a good beer list and ... relatively unexciting comfort food, but at least with the occasional surprise (like the shellfish sandwiches).

Oh, I don’t know.

I’ve been to Two Brothers a couple of times and enjoyed my visit well enough. I think all I ordered was the burger and it was cooked nicely and to order. Nice bun and accoutrements.

I’ve also enjoyed their beer. Before they opened I would occasionally buy it in bottles and enjoyed a pint or two when dining. A nice selection of brown liquor too.

Like I said I was only there maybe 4 times the whole time they were open.

Neither them or Wild Onion were/are brewing on the premises, just a money maker for a far away owner so my allegiance went to Kinslagher and Flapjack. They are guys working hard for their money.

I tried to like Oak Park Brewery but I don’t like the food at all and I think they bring in more beer from the mother brewery than they brew there.

I have high hopes for One Lake Brewery at Lake and Austin.
    Last edited by Panther in the Den on September 20th, 2018, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #418 - September 20th, 2018, 6:07 pm
    Post #418 - September 20th, 2018, 6:07 pm Post #418 - September 20th, 2018, 6:07 pm
    Vitesse98 wrote:What Oak Park needs, frankly, is a bar, with good beer and cocktails. The success of Beer Shop and Kinslahger proves the demand is there. Or maybe those two are enough!

To tell you the truth, when I just st want to sit down and have a few drinks, My Bride and I head over to...

Barclay's American Grille
    1120 Pleasant St, Oak Park

I even used to frequent it when it was Philanders.

Hotel bar (Carleton) with the usual assortment of locals and patrons of the hotel make for some entertaining people watching and fun conversations.

... and you don’t have to put up with the younger crowds shenanigans in Forest Park.

Good, strong drinks prepared by experienced bartenders.

It is a restaurant as well so if dinner is in the plans you could do a lot worse and if only an appetizer, that works too.

I would say the closest thing to a Millers Pub or Steakhouse Bar we have.

Kinslagher or Beershop scratches that specialty itch well but they are more of a taproom than a bar and they do that very well!
  • Post #419 - September 20th, 2018, 6:55 pm
    Post #419 - September 20th, 2018, 6:55 pm Post #419 - September 20th, 2018, 6:55 pm
    I enjoy Barclay's quite a bit as well.
  • Post #420 - September 20th, 2018, 7:22 pm
    Post #420 - September 20th, 2018, 7:22 pm Post #420 - September 20th, 2018, 7:22 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:Another loss on Oak Park Avenue...

Not closing yet...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/o ... story.html

The ice cream store at 124 N. Oak Park Ave. was slated to close sometime at the end of the year, but CEO Joe Oberweis revealed a new lease agreement has been reached to keep the store operating in that location.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more