Citrine and evolving Oak Park scene
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 29
  • Post #121 - March 26th, 2017, 7:07 pm
    Post #121 - March 26th, 2017, 7:07 pm Post #121 - March 26th, 2017, 7:07 pm
    Lola Tining's Cuisine
    1141 Garfield St, Oak Park
    (708) 616-8000

A underappreciated gem right in our own backyard. I have found the time to visit is sensitive. Saturday afternoons will most often bring you a full and fresh menu.

It has been a full weekend and I was just going to stop for some pork and pancit but ended up with a bag full.

The Pancit was fresh with, perhaps, 3 meats present. Pork, chicken and some cured beef. All rice noodles with not a spaghetti noodle in sight. I liked the touch of celery.

The Pork was nice and fatty. Juicy with a good flavor. Was told it is cooked fresh every weekend over charcoal.

There was some thin sliced beef in a light gravy that I grabbed a pint of. Nice rich and simple gravy.

While I didn't see it on the menu I asked and they were able to provide..

Lumpia or Singapore Egg Rolls. Fresh from the freezer and fried. Cut a little shorter than usual (4 cuts from the long roll instead of 3). Flavor as good as you will find anywhere else. They also had a more traditional egg roll.

They had a special dessert on hand, yam slices on a skewer and coated with caramel. Linda proclaimed it to be different and very good!

Grabbed a package of Nagaraya Cracker Nuts.

We were gifted some Lugao (Rice Porridge) and Sinangag (Garlic Rice) upon departure.

Rumor had it that Uncle Mike had stopped by for breakfast. :)

With 48 hours notice you can make arrangements for a Boodle Fight. :)
    WP_20170325_18_07_46_Pro (2).jpg
    Last edited by Panther in the Den on March 26th, 2017, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #122 - March 26th, 2017, 7:34 pm
    Post #122 - March 26th, 2017, 7:34 pm Post #122 - March 26th, 2017, 7:34 pm
    ... and last but not the least...

Rustico
    722 Lake St, Oak Park
    (708) 948-7855

I didn't have much hope for the latest offering in this cursed space. Especially after hearing about just a name change but keeping the same cuisine but I am happy to report that it is a Mediterranean style menu focusing on a Spanish/Italian fusion.

There is a connection with The Messy Crab. The owner of the old contacted the chef of the new and offered a partnership. It is good to see the new was able to bring his own concept to the space.

To preface, everything was very good and nicely prepared. Not a complaint during the visit.

We started with the Mushroom Soup. Rich, thick and meaty.

Nice warm bread with oil. We asked for some butter as well.

After we order but before the meal arrived we were gifted with the appetizer special of Meatballs in a tomato sauce. A side of parmesan cheese rounded out this dish.
    WP_20170325_21_46_52_Pro (2).jpg

On the Tapa's menu was Beef Tenderloin with peppers (served shish kabob style) and caramelized onions and shoestring fries. The meat had a nice crust from flame broiling, a nice and rich gravy for dipping and to my surprise the onions were actually caramelized. Nice black bits, salty, buttery.

A side of Asparagus rounded out the meal. Seeing thick stalks had me worried but they were tender and simple. A nice large order.

The drinks were also top notch. For a second I ordered their special drink using the house made Watermelon infused Tequila. Tasty!
    WP_20170325_22_24_28_Pro (2).jpg

My double Espresso at the end of the meal was also nicely prepared. Julius Meinl beans to a nice strength in a warmed cup.

I would say this space has finally made it. Everything we had was very good with a chefs special touch. Finally someplace to rank up there with Citrine.
    WP_20170325_21_53_20_Pro (2).jpg
  • Post #123 - March 27th, 2017, 7:42 am
    Post #123 - March 27th, 2017, 7:42 am Post #123 - March 27th, 2017, 7:42 am
    hmm, you've piqued my interest with Rustico.
    i used to milk cows
  • Post #124 - March 27th, 2017, 11:11 am
    Post #124 - March 27th, 2017, 11:11 am Post #124 - March 27th, 2017, 11:11 am
    We checked out Obsessed Kitchen & Bar on Friday evening (along with most of the neighborhood, seemed like). I echo Panther's recommendation to give them a little while to get settled. Nice folks running the place.

Menu here for those who are interested. One interesting twist to point out: the $5 kids meals are AYCE of anything, i.e., if kiddo finishes his mac and cheese, he can chase those with a plate of sliders, no additional charge. A notable deal for high-quality food.

Panther in the Den wrote:The Burger has gone through 7 versions and still needed some refining. Was told it was only cooked one was (well) due to the thin patties but they were not that thin.

My server inquired after my preferred doneness (med-rare) but I received well-done thick patties as well. I hope they commit to the style described and can dial in a griddled, Au Cheval-style cheeseburger, which would be quite welcome.
  • Post #125 - April 2nd, 2017, 8:18 pm
    Post #125 - April 2nd, 2017, 8:18 pm Post #125 - April 2nd, 2017, 8:18 pm
    I was at a special event at Connolly's, and the operating family was a bit overwhelmed and curt, and much of the food (fries, dips, wings) was eye-rolling industrial service suburban pub fare. However, the All Day Irish Breakfast was spot on - well-sourced bangers and unsmoked rashers, perfectly cooked eggs and potatoes. The only knocks were the raw average tomatoes and the fact that the puddings were an add-on (but then excellent). Real brown bread (on request; sodabread is default) and Kerrygold butter. I'll be back just for this, and the colcannon on another nearby plate.

http://www.connollyspublichouse.com/
  • Post #126 - April 3rd, 2017, 11:03 am
    Post #126 - April 3rd, 2017, 11:03 am Post #126 - April 3rd, 2017, 11:03 am
    I was in Connolly's once while waiting for a buddy to come in on the metra. Someone sent back a rueben and another table was complaining (to themselves) about the very authentic Irish dish of potato skins. It turned me off to eating there. Strange set up too. Pretty decent Guinness pour if I remember. Good to know about the breakfast. I do love me a proper Irish breaky.
    "I Like Food, Food Tastes Good" - The Descendants
  • Post #127 - April 24th, 2017, 12:57 pm
    Post #127 - April 24th, 2017, 12:57 pm Post #127 - April 24th, 2017, 12:57 pm
    We found Obsessed Kitchen & Bar way too hit or miss for a menu so limited. I'm sure they'll improve, though. At least, I hope they improve. I'd love to see more Asian elements sneak in, too, as they did in the Brussels sprouts.
  • Post #128 - April 24th, 2017, 1:10 pm
    Post #128 - April 24th, 2017, 1:10 pm Post #128 - April 24th, 2017, 1:10 pm
    Vitesse98 wrote:We found Obsessed Kitchen & Bar way too hit or miss for a menu so limited. I'm sure they'll improve, though. At least, I hope they improve. I'd love to see more Asian elements sneak in, too, as they did in the Brussels sprouts.

We visited last week and there was a notable improvement!

The burger was spot on, cooked perfectly to order, juicy and gooey.

My Brides chicken fingers were also greatly improved. Nicely spiced, tender and juicy.

It also appears that they had hired a real bartender as the drinks, while pricey, were also as we expected.

In all it was a very good experience. The only exception was my chicken soup which while good was rather pedestrian. During my first visit it was heading towards a tasty stew.

I was hoping that the menu might of switched up but it was the same menu from the opening weekend. It was even labeled March. With such a short menu let's see some new items rotating in and out.
  • Post #129 - April 24th, 2017, 1:56 pm
    Post #129 - April 24th, 2017, 1:56 pm Post #129 - April 24th, 2017, 1:56 pm
    Driving a friend back to his place in Glen Ellyn after a Cubs game I convinced him to make a stop in OP.
    He's not been to Oak Park since his sister moved out 20 years ago so he was understandably hesitant but after a visit to Beer Shop and then Lake Street Kitchen and Bar he remarked in a very pleasant way that this is not the OP he remembers at all.
  • Post #130 - May 11th, 2017, 1:10 pm
    Post #130 - May 11th, 2017, 1:10 pm Post #130 - May 11th, 2017, 1:10 pm
    News about town...

La Majada Express
    7601 Lake St, River Forest

Formerly of Harrison Street in Oak Park has closed.

Fairly popular before they moved and I was hoping the Express in the name would bring a different concept but it was a full menu in a confined space. I think they have been closed a while but the restaurant equipment stickers in the window cemented the suspicion.

Not really in the hood but closeby...

Burger Colony
    8819 Ogden Ave, Brookfield, IL 60513
    (708) 701-3714

In the space of the former outstanding Chicago Burgerwurks has also closed (Windows papered over).

While trying to channel the inventive and chef driven comfort sandwich food if the former, they fell short. They even tried to hire a real chef at one point and all I saw was one Italian special.

While at lunch we heard someone talking about the old Nielson's on North in Elmwood Park which was the founders of...

Erik's Deli
    107 N Oak Park Ave, Oak Park
    (708) 848-8805
    http://eriks-deli.com/zgrid/themes/10633/intro/index.jsp
    Not to be confused with the Chicago chain...
    http://www.originaleriksdeli.com/

Is moving down the street into the old location of Red Hen Bakery at

736 Lake St, Oak Park

When talking with the staff they mentioned it should be nice an bright in there. Good as we felt the remodel was way, way too dark.

... and in the old spot look for a Spanish tapas restaurant called Altiro
    http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/5-8-2017/Erik%27s-could-become-tapas-restaurant/

The new brewery at the SW corner of Austin and Lake is coming along with a sign warning the neighborhood. Windows in place.

Busy spring!

Talking to someone who worked with Richard Neva (The Depot, Oliver's, Kinderhook) mentioned he got burned out and isn't doing too much that is inventive. Too bad, I liked his work!
    Last edited by Panther in the Den on May 11th, 2017, 1:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
  • Post #131 - May 11th, 2017, 1:18 pm
    Post #131 - May 11th, 2017, 1:18 pm Post #131 - May 11th, 2017, 1:18 pm
    thepld wrote:I was in Connolly's once while waiting for a buddy to come in on the metra. Someone sent back a rueben and another table was complaining (to themselves) about the very authentic Irish dish of potato skins. It turned me off to eating there. Strange set up too. Pretty decent Guinness pour if I remember. Good to know about the breakfast. I do love me a proper Irish breaky.

I have been there a while ago and the Irish dishes were just fine. I wouldn't consider a Ruben really Irish, maybe American Irish concept.
  • Post #132 - May 11th, 2017, 6:09 pm
    Post #132 - May 11th, 2017, 6:09 pm Post #132 - May 11th, 2017, 6:09 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:The new brewery at the SW corner of Austin and Lake is coming along with a sign warning the neighborhood. Windows in place.

Next to the car wash in the old bank building? Definitely gonna have to check that out!
  • Post #133 - May 11th, 2017, 8:09 pm
    Post #133 - May 11th, 2017, 8:09 pm Post #133 - May 11th, 2017, 8:09 pm
    Speaking of new breweries, well, maybe newish. Was selling some stuff at the Hi-Fi place on Harlem just north of Ogden in Berwyn and the proprietor mentioned Flapjack Brewery (between Grove and Kenilworth just north of the train tracks in Berwyn).

I swung in and grabbed a growler and was impressed with the humble but seemingly effective pizza-making operation - wood-burning oven, lots of TLC in the prep; I watched one of the pizza makers hand-grating a big ol' pile of parmesan for one of the pizzas from a nice looking block.

I got the cream ale since the IPA was a pretty steep 7.5%. I'm not a big fan of this particular beer. Seems very malty with a lot of residual sugar.

That said, the place was cozy and super friendly and the pizza looked good. Perhaps the other beers are better. I think I'll be back to find out.
  • Post #134 - May 11th, 2017, 11:36 pm
    Post #134 - May 11th, 2017, 11:36 pm Post #134 - May 11th, 2017, 11:36 pm
    bobbywal wrote:Speaking of new breweries, well, maybe newish. Was selling some stuff at the Hi-Fi place on Harlem just north of Ogden in Berwyn and the proprietor mentioned Flapjack Brewery (between Grove and Kenilworth just north of the train tracks in Berwyn).

I know they were building but didn't know they had opened.

I'll have to swing by but my allegiance lies with Buckledown, Kinslager and Oak Park (in that order).

Getting to be a tough beer town!
  • Post #135 - May 12th, 2017, 8:42 am
    Post #135 - May 12th, 2017, 8:42 am Post #135 - May 12th, 2017, 8:42 am
    I'm relatively new to Oak Park (and all of Chicago) and this thread has been super useful, so thanks everyone.

I wanted to add how impressed I have been with The Heritage. My wife and I ate at the bar last night following a visit a few months back and I really think it is the best restaurant I've tried in the Chicago area, bar none. We just had a few starters and drinks at the bar, but the chilled asparagus with crab and egg was great, and a very creative idea, and the chicken liver mousse was also a stand-out. I know it isn't cheap, but I think it was a bargain compared to a meal at Bad Hunter a few weeks back and each dish at The Heritage was as good or better.
  • Post #136 - May 13th, 2017, 12:37 am
    Post #136 - May 13th, 2017, 12:37 am Post #136 - May 13th, 2017, 12:37 am
    Vitesse98 wrote:Ha, I'm not at a loss for better burgers in the Oak Park area. Not least Big Guys.

Big Guys has been overcooking the burgers lately (not even close to medium rare). My goto spot has been...

Cigars and Stripes BBQ Lounge
    6715 Ogden Ave,
    (708) 484-1043
    http://www.stripesbbq.com/

After all they did win the best burger in Berwyn competition a few years ago.

The mix of meats plus the addition of some burnt ends makes for a tasty burger and always cooked just right.
  • Post #137 - May 14th, 2017, 12:28 am
    Post #137 - May 14th, 2017, 12:28 am Post #137 - May 14th, 2017, 12:28 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:... and last but not the least...

Rustico
    722 Lake St, Oak Park
    (708) 948-7855

I didn't have much hope for the latest offering in this cursed space. Especially after hearing about just a name change but keeping the same cuisine but I am happy to report that it is a Mediterranean style menu focusing on a Spanish/Italian fusion.

Wow!

That is the succinct version.

I made reservations here tonight for our family as well as my in-laws. I didn't put it together that this was the old space until we arrived. My in-laws are well-traveled, having returned from a recent trip to Spain and having done numerous trips through Italy. So the bar was a bit elevated for them.

I won't suggest that our visit transported them back to those locales, but we all had a really nice time and enjoyed our food very much. The wine list, heavy on Spain and Italy, is quite good - we had a bottle of the Albarino (Kentia) and the Verdejo (Buil & Gine Nosis) and both were tasty. I was surprised at the quality of both the red and white wine list - heavy on Italian and Spanish labels that one might not normally find in the 'burbs.

I started the evening with their version of a Pisco sour which I would put up against any other that I've previously had, including those in Chile. Admittedly, this isn't necessarily a tall order but it is worth noting that they 'nailed it' and crafted a fine cocktail.

I had the carpaccio - beet and scallops - which was wonderful; I hadn't encountered thinly sliced, seared scallops before but they were very tasty and the beets and greens were well prepared and dressed. A side note, my FIL ordered their house salad and requested crumbled bleu cheese on top - I will admit to being surprised when it came exactly as ordered. Small but meaningful victory that shows the staff is paying attention.

Our kids are suckers for calamari and the fried version served here had everyone agreeing it was the best they had tasted in a long while - light batter, with good seasoning and a few shrimps tossed in the mix for good measure. If fried calamari is on the menu when dining with this party, it is ordered so for us to all agree that this was top-notch is saying something.

We shared a number of plates so I also tasted the filet medallions special which was quite good - medium interior and well-charred exterior. Also had the garganelli pasta bolognese which was good in a comfort-food sense. The "pork milanese" was probably a "pork parmesan" but that's protesting too much because whatever it was, it was deemed very tasty and hearty, though I didn't taste it.

Our kids devoured the Iberico pizza which looked delicious and well-crafted - generous servings of ham and mozzarella on a nicely charred crust.

I am also hopeful that the curse has been negated at this location. I'm already looking forward to a return trip.
  • Post #138 - May 17th, 2017, 5:56 pm
    Post #138 - May 17th, 2017, 5:56 pm Post #138 - May 17th, 2017, 5:56 pm
    Never had a chance!

In the shuttered...

Amelia's
    7330 Harrison St, Forest Park

Was supposed to open...

Backyard Kitchen & Tap
    http://www.backyardforestpark.com/

I was keeping an eye on it and the website mentions "Under New Management". Maybe I missed it.

Restaurant equipment collection signs in the windows.
  • Post #139 - May 18th, 2017, 1:53 pm
    Post #139 - May 18th, 2017, 1:53 pm Post #139 - May 18th, 2017, 1:53 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:Was supposed to open...

Backyard Kitchen & Tap
    http://www.backyardforestpark.com/

I think you missed it. About this time last year the remodel was finished - bar moved to the west side and a few other changes, including the menu.

I stopped in a couple of times during the spring/early summer but only had a beer - one time there was a local meet-up group in there so the place was jam-packed. Other than a focus on local beer, nothing really stood out. I think it closed up shop sometime in the late summer. I didn't read or hear anything about its closing.
  • Post #140 - May 30th, 2017, 11:24 am
    Post #140 - May 30th, 2017, 11:24 am Post #140 - May 30th, 2017, 11:24 am
    Newly opened:

Two Brothers Social Tap
    100 S. Marion St.
    (708) 665-4300

Lea French Street Food
    106 N. Marion St.
    (708) 613-5994

Forthcoming:

Mora Asian Fusion
    201 Harrison St. (Yes, Harrison St!)
  • Post #141 - May 30th, 2017, 11:35 am
    Post #141 - May 30th, 2017, 11:35 am Post #141 - May 30th, 2017, 11:35 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:News about town...

Not really in the hood but closeby...

Burger Colony
    8819 Ogden Ave, Brookfield, IL 60513
    (708) 701-3714

In the space of the former outstanding Chicago Burgerwurks has also closed (Windows papered over).

While trying to channel the inventive and chef driven comfort sandwich food if the former, they fell short. They even tried to hire a real chef at one point and all I saw was one Italian special.

Sounds like they have reopened with a new and simpler menu. Half Mexican food.

While they were getting the burger down but now I am not holding out hope for anything stellar.

Mostly running on fond memories of the Burgerwurks.
  • Post #142 - May 30th, 2017, 11:45 am
    Post #142 - May 30th, 2017, 11:45 am Post #142 - May 30th, 2017, 11:45 am
    ndgbucktown wrote:Newly opened:

Two Brothers Social Tap
    100 S. Marion St.
    (708) 665-4300

Looking forward to that. Can never have enough breweries (maybe the pint prices will come down. :) ).
    ndgbucktown wrote:Lea French Street Food
    106 N. Marion St.
    (708) 613-5994

Rumor has it, they will be serving Carl's Craft Soups.
  • Post #143 - May 30th, 2017, 1:47 pm
    Post #143 - May 30th, 2017, 1:47 pm Post #143 - May 30th, 2017, 1:47 pm
    Friends from out of town were in Oak Park this weekend, so Mr. X and I met them at Scratch on Lake. Good location, nice beer list, casual atmosphere. I wasn't terribly impressed with the food. Their refusal to cook burgers to a requested temperature is not a plus. Our server said they aim for medium. My lamb burger was heavily charred on one side and no where near medium. Mr. X's burger wasn't as charred but was as well done as mine. The garlic butter fries didn't have much garlic flavor. My friends and their kids seemed to enjoy their food, so there's that.

I'd stop for a beer if I'm in the area again, but probably would skip the food.
    -Mary
  • Post #144 - May 30th, 2017, 3:39 pm
    Post #144 - May 30th, 2017, 3:39 pm Post #144 - May 30th, 2017, 3:39 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:Erik's Deli
    (708) 848-8805

Is moving down the street into the old location of Red Hen Bakery at 736 Lake St, Oak Park

When talking with the staff they mentioned it should be nice an bright in there. Good as we felt the remodel was way, way too dark.

http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles/5-8-2017/Erik%27s-could-become-tapas-restaurant/

Erik's has closed.

While Altiro has signs up in the windows including Help Wanted, The Red Hen bakery space still shows For Lease in the windows.

Not a good sign for Erik's.

"Signs, signs, Everywhere a sign"
  • Post #145 - May 31st, 2017, 10:52 am
    Post #145 - May 31st, 2017, 10:52 am Post #145 - May 31st, 2017, 10:52 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:
    ndgbucktown wrote:Newly opened:

Two Brothers Social Tap
    100 S. Marion St.
    (708) 665-4300

Looking forward to that. Can never have enough breweries (maybe the pint prices will come down. :) ).

Had a midweek date night and stopped by for a nightcap after the movie.
    WP_20170530_21_43_57_Pro (2).jpg

Beer and whiskey were good! Had a taste of their specialty brew which is aged in wine casks. Warned it would be sour and it was.
    My bride has history from Wyoming so the whiskey was from Kirby, WY.

The complementary, end of the day, 'Baked Fresh Daily', muffin/cupcakes were a nice touch.
    WP_20170530_21_49_28_Pro (2).jpg

The gas was out so the only items available were electrically cooked (IE: Paninis). Took a pass.

On the guest beer list, some of our fine local breweries were notably absent.

All in all I think it is a fine addition to the neighborhood.

106 N. Marion St.
    (708) 613-5994

Walked by a several times between here and there and it is a light, airy and modern space. Looks nice.
  • Post #146 - June 3rd, 2017, 12:04 pm
    Post #146 - June 3rd, 2017, 12:04 pm Post #146 - June 3rd, 2017, 12:04 pm
    106 N. Marion St.
    (708) 613-5994

Walked by a several times between here and there and it is a light, airy and modern space. Looks nice.

WP_20170602_18_56_38_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20170602_18_51_27_Pro (2).jpg Menu

Stopped by before a movie at the nearby Lake Theater.
    Light, easy and tasty food. Nothing really hot but fresh.
    WP_20170602_18_39_28_Pro (2).jpg Quiche Lorraine and Carl's Minestrone

WP_20170602_18_42_20_Pro (2).jpg My Brides Mushroom Tartine

Nothing really hearty on the menu but a go to place for a light meal.

Once again, there were no local breweries represented but they mentioned that there is a spot reserved for Kinslager (as soon as they can their product) on the drink placard.

Nice!
  • Post #147 - June 4th, 2017, 8:06 am
    Post #147 - June 4th, 2017, 8:06 am Post #147 - June 4th, 2017, 8:06 am
    Looking forward to this place. Looking forward to skipping Two Brothers. Preemptively looking forward to giving Cooper's Hawk a wide berth.
  • Post #148 - June 4th, 2017, 4:24 pm
    Post #148 - June 4th, 2017, 4:24 pm Post #148 - June 4th, 2017, 4:24 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:Erik's Deli
    (708) 848-8805

Is moving down the street into the old location of Red Hen Bakery at 736 Lake St, Oak Park

Erik's has closed.

While Altiro has signs up in the windows including Help Wanted, The Red Hen bakery space still shows For Lease in the windows.

Not a good sign for Erik's.

"Signs, signs, Everywhere a sign"
    WP_20170604_13_45_38_Pro (2).jpg
  • Post #149 - June 7th, 2017, 5:36 pm
    Post #149 - June 7th, 2017, 5:36 pm Post #149 - June 7th, 2017, 5:36 pm
    La Parrillita
    7225 North Ave, River Forest
    (708) 657-4440
    http://laparrillita.com

Been open for a while but never stopped by. In the cursed space since it was occupied by Gossage Grill.

Nothing too special (except the salt level) and especially none of the namesake.

Tamales made fresh daily were a touch dry and small.

The only thing that stood out was the variety of salsas...

WP_20170607_16_59_43_Pro (2).jpg

On the screen inside the restaurant I saw three other salsa's not presented to me. I enjoyed Verde and Mom's. When inquiring about Mom, she does work there but not on a fixed schedule.

I'll stick to Ino's.

Ino's Tacos
    7100 Roosevelt Rd, Oak Park
    (708) 763-9571
    http://www.inostacos.net/
  • Post #150 - June 7th, 2017, 8:33 pm
    Post #150 - June 7th, 2017, 8:33 pm Post #150 - June 7th, 2017, 8:33 pm
    I thought that place was interesting mostly due to the lack of pork on the menu.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more