LTH Home

life is good here - lunch in the Loop

life is good here - lunch in the Loop
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - October 5th, 2017, 11:30 am
    Post #61 - October 5th, 2017, 11:30 am Post #61 - October 5th, 2017, 11:30 am
    We broke out of the routine rut today (it takes a while when you have 10-12 regular spots) and tried the French Lunchbox in the French Market. We now have a new regular offering.

    It's mostly massive stuffed baked potatoes, but he also makes daily French style gnocchi - ironically not with potato - in different flavors and will mix/match things on a whim. The clam chowder also rocked the palette.

    We split the shepard's pie potato and a bowl of the chowder. Definitely going back next week to explore more options (although I wouldn't hesitate to redo that combo).

    Two other new(ish) places in the FM are Street - Steam & Smoke and Woodfire seem to be getting decent reviews, so they'll be on the tryout list as well.
  • Post #62 - December 22nd, 2017, 2:08 pm
    Post #62 - December 22nd, 2017, 2:08 pm Post #62 - December 22nd, 2017, 2:08 pm
    IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    I went to the new Vietnamese restaurant, Lotus Bahn Mi (166 W. Washington) which replaced the previous Bahn Mi shop Ba Le (which I never tried).

    Sadly, they have turned the menu into a self selection exercise, as so many places do now. I resented it quite a bit.

    I like a chef thinking about what goes on the sandwich FOR me, especially when it comes to a Bahn Mi, which has a bunch of ingredients I am not intimately familar with. What goes best with Basil meatballs? I don't know! You tell me. The girls dishing it out just nod when you ask. They are not going to recommend anything. To them, it is all good, move along!

    The ingredients were all good, but my resentment lingered. Not sure I will go back. I may just take the extra time and go down to Saigon Sisters, where they make some decisions FOR me.

    I did get the Steve Dolinsky recommended spring rolls and was underwhelmed.
  • Post #63 - January 2nd, 2018, 3:07 pm
    Post #63 - January 2nd, 2018, 3:07 pm Post #63 - January 2nd, 2018, 3:07 pm
    Vinny wrote:Drinkwise, the bar at Cavanaugh's in the Monadnock Building (Dearborn/Jackson) tends to fill up at happy hour and usually carries a couple of Revolution offerings on tap. If you want dark and dank, try Brando's Speakeasy on Dearborn near Van Buren at early happy hour. Almost has a neighborhood tavern vibe, but they do start karaoke in the evenings.

    Cavanaugh’s closed just before Christmas, ending a 28-year run at the Monadack Building, 53 W. Jackson Boulevard. The tavern served pub food, cocktails, and beer.

    https://chicago.eater.com/2018/1/2/1684 ... sures-2018
    "At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom." George Carlin
  • Post #64 - May 31st, 2018, 2:16 pm
    Post #64 - May 31st, 2018, 2:16 pm Post #64 - May 31st, 2018, 2:16 pm
    Went to Wow Bao today after a long absence. Wanted to use my $15 Lettuce Entertain You birthday dollars. The Wow Bao on Jackson is the closest LEYE restaurant to my office by Union Station. I had ginger chicken potstickers and the Thai curry chicken rice bowl. I used to really enjoy that bowl, but this was underwhelming. The potstickers weren't terribly exciting but fine. I'm hoping the Thai iced coffee that I'm saving for tomorrow will be good. At least this was all free.
    -Mary
  • Post #65 - May 31st, 2018, 4:05 pm
    Post #65 - May 31st, 2018, 4:05 pm Post #65 - May 31st, 2018, 4:05 pm
    The GP wrote:Went to Wow Bao today after a long absence. Wanted to use my $15 Lettuce Entertain You birthday dollars. The Wow Bao on Jackson is the closest LEYE restaurant to my office by Union Station. I had ginger chicken potstickers and the Thai curry chicken rice bowl. I used to really enjoy that bowl, but this was underwhelming. The potstickers weren't terribly exciting but fine. I'm hoping the Thai iced coffee that I'm saving for tomorrow will be good. At least this was all free.


    Co-worker and I were just lamenting the loss of proximity to some favorite spots when our office relocated. Moving away from Wow Bao was not a great loss.
  • Post #66 - June 1st, 2018, 8:22 am
    Post #66 - June 1st, 2018, 8:22 am Post #66 - June 1st, 2018, 8:22 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:Co-worker and I were just lamenting the loss of proximity to some favorite spots when our office relocated. Moving away from Wow Bao was not a great loss.

    Wow Bao used to be better. It was a regular in my rotation when my office was in the Hancock for a decent, inexpensive lunch.
    -Mary
  • Post #67 - June 8th, 2018, 3:08 pm
    Post #67 - June 8th, 2018, 3:08 pm Post #67 - June 8th, 2018, 3:08 pm
    Just grabbed a quick lunch at Beatrix Market on Jackson. It's a LEYE take on the coffee shop, salad/hot bar, and pizza slice in one place. I just grabbed a quick salad from the salad bar. It was one of the most extensive salad bars I'd seen in a while. There's also a hot bar with some changing entrees (Tilapia today) and a hummus bar. I didn't try anything due to my cheapness, but it looked ok (except the falafel on the warming tray). My modest salad was almost $10, which per my wife is what a salad goes for in the Loop. The pizza bar has personal deep dish pizza and slices. The coffee line looked like any coffee shop in the city. Some pastries, coffee, specialized drinks.

    The reason why this place intrigued me so much was the seating though. On the main level it looks like a half a restaurant was dropped into someone's small house. There's a couch and coffee table in the middle of the floor. Some tables sit by the window. The basement was nice. Kind of corporate, but comfortable for a basement. There's a private room there and a full service bar. It has a decent selection of wine and booze. The bartender was reading since the three martini lunch is dead! There are a lot of big TVs on mute and some loudish music. Also some couches and various tables. It was a little incongruous the music and the TV scream go away versus the comfortable furniture asking you to stay longer. I'm not sure what the other Beatrix Market is like, but this one is nice for a quick lunch

    Beatrix Market
    23 E Jackson Blvd
    Chicago, IL 60604
  • Post #68 - June 12th, 2018, 7:27 am
    Post #68 - June 12th, 2018, 7:27 am Post #68 - June 12th, 2018, 7:27 am
    I tried the new Boxcar Betty's at Ogilvy yesterday.

    I thought it had too much stuff on it.

    I guess that is their thing, since there is a big illustration repeated several times in their small space showing how to eat one of their sandwiches without getting it on your shirt.

    Chicken, coleslaw, pimiento cheese, spicy mayo and pickles all competing. I could not even taste the pimiento cheese, which I love.

    It made me appreciate the simplicity of Chick-Fil-A and their chicken and pickle only sandwich.

    I had the fries also, and they were just ok.
  • Post #69 - June 12th, 2018, 7:32 am
    Post #69 - June 12th, 2018, 7:32 am Post #69 - June 12th, 2018, 7:32 am
    DKoblesky wrote:I tried the new Boxcar Betty's at Ogilvy yesterday.

    I thought it had too much stuff on it.

    I guess that is their thing, since there is a big illustration repeated several times in their small space showing how to eat one of their sandwiches without getting it on your shirt.

    Chicken, coleslaw, pimiento cheese, spicy mayo and pickles all competing. I could not even taste the pimiento cheese, which I love.

    It made me appreciate the simplicity of Chick-Fil-A and their chicken and pickle only sandwich.

    I had the fries also, and they were just ok.


    Tried this last Thursday and had the same feeling. Too much stuff on the sandwich, and the chicken wasn't fried all that well. I'll assume that was partly due to it being their 2nd day.

    Probably will give it another try but nothing special
  • Post #70 - June 12th, 2018, 12:59 pm
    Post #70 - June 12th, 2018, 12:59 pm Post #70 - June 12th, 2018, 12:59 pm
    Not sure if it's been mentioned but the 7th floor at Macy's has a number of half-price deals - half price tacos at Frontera Fresco on Tuesdays, half price salads on Wednesdays, half price sandwiches on Thursdays, and half price cheeseburger at Marc Burger on Fridays.

    The tacos in particular are a great deal, but get there early, as there will be a line.
  • Post #71 - June 12th, 2018, 1:10 pm
    Post #71 - June 12th, 2018, 1:10 pm Post #71 - June 12th, 2018, 1:10 pm
    Fooda pop ups in office buildings around the Loop usually aren't that great. Garifuna Flava's Jerk Chicken is a bit dry, but still a welcome change of pace when they come through the rotation. I don't quite understand why the likes of P.F. Chang's are ever invited to set up. Rubbery two hour old orange chicken? - No thanks.

    Heritage Restaurant from Humboldt Park blew the doors off my Fooda stereotypes today. Executive Chef Guy Meikle was actually overseeing the pop up when I arrived at about 11:30 - he asked me how my week was going; pleasant, easy going guy. Two ladies in front of me must have found the bubbling pot of rich, dark broth off-putting; they looked at it and quickly walked out. It made my choice simple. And I was well rewarded.

    Vegetable Ramen with fresh fiddle heads, mushrooms, spring onions, shaved asparagus in a rich yellow miso broth was a knockout. Radish kimchi and cooked "à la minute" Furious Spoon noodles made it over the top for any lunch, so much more so for one I'd be eating at my desk. I added wood roasted chicken thigh which was flavorful, tender and moist - but not even necessary. At $11.13 with tax it was a steal. I look forward to visiting the stand alone restaurant over on Chicago Ave. Lunch never makes my day like this one did.

    Heritage Restaurant & Caviar Bar
    2700 W Chicago Ave, Chicago, IL 60622
    (773) 661-9577
  • Post #72 - June 12th, 2018, 2:46 pm
    Post #72 - June 12th, 2018, 2:46 pm Post #72 - June 12th, 2018, 2:46 pm
    rober wrote:Fooda pop ups in office buildings around the Loop usually aren't that great. Garifuna Flava's Jerk Chicken is a bit dry, but still a welcome change of pace when they come through the rotation. I don't quite understand why the likes of P.F. Chang's are ever invited to set up. Rubbery two hour old orange chicken? - No thanks.

    Heritage Restaurant from Humboldt Park blew the doors off my Fooda stereotypes today. Executive Chef Guy Meikle was actually overseeing the pop up when I arrived at about 11:30 - he asked me how my week was going; pleasant, easy going guy. Two ladies in front of me must have found the bubbling pot of rich, dark broth off-putting; they looked at it and quickly walked out. It made my choice simple. And I was well rewarded.

    Vegetable Ramen with fresh fiddle heads, mushrooms, spring onions, shaved asparagus in a rich yellow miso broth was a knockout. Radish kimchi and cooked "à la minute" Furious Spoon noodles made it over the top for any lunch, so much more so for one I'd be eating at my desk. I added wood roasted chicken thigh which was flavorful, tender and moist - but not even necessary. At $11.13 with tax it was a steal. I look forward to visiting the stand alone restaurant over on Chicago Ave. Lunch never makes my day like this one did.

    Heritage Restaurant & Caviar Bar
    2700 W Chicago Ave, Chicago, IL 60622
    (773) 661-9577


    This was a popup where?
  • Post #73 - June 12th, 2018, 2:50 pm
    Post #73 - June 12th, 2018, 2:50 pm Post #73 - June 12th, 2018, 2:50 pm
    10 S Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60606
  • Post #74 - June 13th, 2018, 8:31 am
    Post #74 - June 13th, 2018, 8:31 am Post #74 - June 13th, 2018, 8:31 am
    Our building (222 S Riverside) stopped Fooda when Vapiano's opened. I track who's doing Fooda at Sears-Willis-Tower since it's close and open to non-tenants. Heritage is there today.
    -Mary
  • Post #75 - June 21st, 2018, 9:39 am
    Post #75 - June 21st, 2018, 9:39 am Post #75 - June 21st, 2018, 9:39 am
    The GP wrote:
    spinynorman99 wrote:Co-worker and I were just lamenting the loss of proximity to some favorite spots when our office relocated. Moving away from Wow Bao was not a great loss.

    Wow Bao used to be better. It was a regular in my rotation when my office was in the Hancock for a decent, inexpensive lunch.

    From Eater:

    Wow Bao will close its Loop location at 175 W. Jackson Boulevard on June 29 and move it to 200 N. Michigan Avenue, according to a news release. When it reopens in early July it’ll be a self-service tech-enabled restaurant, similar to the one that opened at 1 W. Division Street in December.
    -Mary
  • Post #76 - June 21st, 2018, 11:42 am
    Post #76 - June 21st, 2018, 11:42 am Post #76 - June 21st, 2018, 11:42 am
    The GP wrote:Wow Bao will close its Loop location at 175 W. Jackson Boulevard on June 29 and move it to 200 N. Michigan Avenue

    Sounds awfully close to their current locations at 225 N. Michigan across the street as well as the one at State and Lake, no?
  • Post #77 - June 21st, 2018, 1:31 pm
    Post #77 - June 21st, 2018, 1:31 pm Post #77 - June 21st, 2018, 1:31 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:
    The GP wrote:Wow Bao will close its Loop location at 175 W. Jackson Boulevard on June 29 and move it to 200 N. Michigan Avenue

    Sounds awfully close to their current locations at 225 N. Michigan across the street as well as the one at State and Lake, no?

    It sure does.
    -Mary
  • Post #78 - November 1st, 2018, 11:13 am
    Post #78 - November 1st, 2018, 11:13 am Post #78 - November 1st, 2018, 11:13 am
    Bumping Ajida Ramen on Wells based on today's visit (more discussion earlier on this thread - 2015). Was curious about this place when they opened but the not so positive reviews and the $15 price tag kept us away.

    Fast forward 3 years and $15 isn't far off the average tab in a lot of our old standbys. When Furious Spoon opened in the Wells Market we gave it a try based on their stellar reputation - it was everything people talked about. A co-worker said he preferred Ajida, so we finally gave in and dropped by. The broth wasn't nearly as 'in your face' as Furious but the ingredients were just as top quality and the portion was generous.

    All in all, 3 out of 4 preferred this version. A bit more subtle and textured, definitely more enjoyable. Looks like it's made the 'not so short' lunch spot list.
  • Post #79 - November 1st, 2018, 12:02 pm
    Post #79 - November 1st, 2018, 12:02 pm Post #79 - November 1st, 2018, 12:02 pm
    Lime Leaf a Thai fusion restaurant just recently opened in the loop.They're at 8 E Van Buren in the DePaul building.They are offering a $13.99 dine in lunch buffet and small $6.50 and large $10.50 buffet take out container in addition to their regular lunch and dinner menu.I have eaten here regularly in the past month in the late afternoon/early evening and have enjoyed the Pad Thai,Pad Kee Mao,Pad Woon Sen,and Panang Curry.Decent sized portions and good tasting as well.
  • Post #80 - November 1st, 2018, 2:02 pm
    Post #80 - November 1st, 2018, 2:02 pm Post #80 - November 1st, 2018, 2:02 pm
    Bumping Ajida Ramen on Wells based on today's visit (more discussion earlier on this thread - 2015). Was curious about this place when they opened but the not so positive reviews and the $15 price tag kept us away.

    Fast forward 3 years and $15 isn't far off the average tab in a lot of our old standbys. When Furious Spoon opened in the Wells Market we gave it a try based on their stellar reputation - it was everything people talked about. A co-worker said he preferred Ajida, so we finally gave in and dropped by. The broth wasn't nearly as 'in your face' as Furious but the ingredients were just as top quality and the portion was generous.

    All in all, 3 out of 4 preferred this version. A bit more subtle and textured, definitely more enjoyable. Looks like it's made the 'not so short' lunch spot list.


    I was just here this week for the first time in a couple of years. It's a decent bowl of ramen. The service could be a little better, but I would choose this relaxed spot over the zoo atmosphere of Wells Market every day of the week.
  • Post #81 - November 1st, 2018, 2:58 pm
    Post #81 - November 1st, 2018, 2:58 pm Post #81 - November 1st, 2018, 2:58 pm
    Has anyone been to the "new" Perry's that moved into the Bacci Pizza next door to where it was?

    I went there shortly after they moved & it was not the same at all. I was used to a sandwich pilled high with really good, rare roast beef. What I got was a small portion that was not rare at all.

    Curious if it has changed at all, or if they just brought the name over & note the recipes.
  • Post #82 - November 1st, 2018, 3:35 pm
    Post #82 - November 1st, 2018, 3:35 pm Post #82 - November 1st, 2018, 3:35 pm
    Earnest is still working there but that seems like the only link to the past. The menu is much smaller and the quality is bad. I've been there a couple times, hoping to get lucky and get something that reminds me of the Perry's I used to visit way too often. Setting aside that the sandwich I invented (the Earnest Ecstasy - turkey salad, munster cheese, bacon, cole slaw, russian, on rye) is gone, the stuff that remains is not good - poorly cooked and way too salty. I'm done with Perry's and that makes me sad.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more