LTH Home

Bistro Voltaire

Bistro Voltaire
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Bistro Voltaire

Post #1 - November 4th, 2014, 10:33 am
    Post #1 - November 4th, 2014, 10:33 am Post #1 - November 4th, 2014, 10:33 am
    I'm surprised no one's ever written up Bistro Voltaire.

Had dinner here Friday night and was very pleasantly surprised. It's on Chicago Ave right by the Brown Line station, it's a small place in a classic old school Chicago night club room. About 6 tables in the front of the house, then a narrow bar and a line of tables with a long banquette against the wall. Black & white photos of various fin de siecle authors on the wall, French waiters, tres cool.

AND some of the best bistro food I've had in Chicago, compares with some of the better meals I've had in France. It's all about the saucing, and whoever is in this kitchen has the correct technique down pat. Started with an escargots in a meurette sauce with a poached egg which was just awesome - ordered extra bread just to mop up every last drop of the sauce.

The steak frites was a nice beefy hanger steak with an, again, excellent Bearnaise sauce. And my wife had a pork tenderloin with a delicious green peppercorn sauce. I'd put their kitchen right up against Le Bouchon as far as serving authentic French bistro fare.

226 W Chicago Ave
    Chicago, IL 60654
    (312) 265-0911
  • Post #2 - April 10th, 2018, 12:52 pm
    Post #2 - April 10th, 2018, 12:52 pm Post #2 - April 10th, 2018, 12:52 pm
    Bistro Voltaire has closed at 226 W. Chicago Avenue after seven years of French cooking.

https://chicago.eater.com/2018/1/2/1684 ... sures-2018
    "At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom." George Carlin

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more