LTH Home

Chicago Ramen

Chicago Ramen
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - January 6th, 2018, 4:33 am
    Post #91 - January 6th, 2018, 4:33 am Post #91 - January 6th, 2018, 4:33 am
    Well, it seems another event has slid to a different time of year. In this case, it is Ramenfest. This used to be in November, but for 2018, it is slated for Sunday, 18 February. It is still @ Urbanbelly {1400 W. Randolph St.; Chicago, IL. 60607}. If you did not click through back there, it will cost $78.62, and start at 12:01 pm.
    Another element which also has not changed is that its twenty-three participating restaurants are not ramen shacks, or even Japanese cuisinal restaurants.
    1. Barry Sorkin | Smoque BBQ
    2. Giuseppe Tentori | GT Prime
    3. AJ Walker | Publican Anker
    4. Stephanie Izard | Little Goat
    5. Julie Warpinski | Big Star
    6. Dan Snowden | Bad Hunter
    7. Christine Cikowski & Joshua Kulp | Honey Butter Fried Chicken
    8. Pat Sheerin | City Mouse
    9. Nick Lacasse | Half Acre
    10. John Manion | El Che Bar
    11. Jimmy Bannos | Heaven on Seven
    12. Mathias Merges | Gideon Sweet
    13. Dan Salls | Quiote
    14. Eric Michael | Regards to Edith
    15. Jimmy Papadopoulos | Bellemore
    16. John Shields | Smyth
    17. Mark Steur | Funkenhausen
    18. Mike Brockman | Woodstone Ovens
    19. Brenton Balika | Margeaux Brasserie
    20. Jason Hammel | Lula Cafe
    21. Toni Robertson | The Peninsula
    22. Carrie Nahabedian | Naha
    23. Rick Ortiz & Diego Cruz | Antique Taco
    (I wonder: Are ramen shacks even invited, or do they need to apply to the organizers?)
    Oops. I forgot to buy a ticket for this. :oops: However, I think they will release a second batch of General Admission tickets before 18 February.
    Learn what Bing prefers you not know: http://66.242.161.72/pudgym29/bookmark4.html
  • Post #92 - January 6th, 2018, 1:24 pm
    Post #92 - January 6th, 2018, 1:24 pm Post #92 - January 6th, 2018, 1:24 pm
    We were at Oiistar a couple weeks ago for dinner and really enjoyed the spicy veggimen ramen and the mushroom buns.

It was a crazy cold night and the ramen really hit the spot prior to heading to the Den Theater.
  • Post #93 - January 7th, 2018, 10:04 am
    Post #93 - January 7th, 2018, 10:04 am Post #93 - January 7th, 2018, 10:04 am
    Maybe it was because I'm 2 weeks into a cold, maybe it was because I like salt way more than most people, but I thought the Oiistar classic was lacking a little flavor. The broth was great on its own, but the noodles were bland and dragged the bowl down for me. I sat at the counter by the kitchen and used some of the hoisin and sriracha which helped, but to me it specifically lacked salt. I don't have a high spice tolerance, so I don't think going to the spicy bowl would help.

The plusses: the pork belly was silky, the egg was still runny. (Not sure if it went into the bowl hot or not, I tend to save them til the middle - end.) I got the upgrade of fried chicken thigh which was terrific - especially with a dab of hoisin. The waiter was friendly and recommended the Forbidden Root ginger beer, which was great. (It's actually beer brewed with ginger rather than a soda-type ginger beer.)

I tried to finish the bowl, couldn't quite do it. I'll go back, but bring more people with me so we can try the buns too.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more