LTH Home

Parts and Labor

Parts and Labor
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Parts and Labor

Post #1 - February 23rd, 2014, 8:33 am
    Post #1 - February 23rd, 2014, 8:33 am Post #1 - February 23rd, 2014, 8:33 am
    Back Bar @ Parts and Labor by Man_of Steel, on Flickr

As a Designer- I'll "taste" - a new Bar or Restaurant's "decor" or Interior Elements much more carefully than the Food-
    on the first go round. Sorry- it's just how I'm programmed.
    So when I first spotted Parts and Labor's "Collage/Assemblage" of matt-black-painted wooden ladders,as a back bar design element- I needed to check it out.
    To say that the looks evokes Louise Nevelson is an HUGE complement to who ever "designed" the space.....but I find that although simple- it works with the overall vibe.
    Take a look at the rePurposed Church Organ Pipes in the front -
    rePurposed Organ Pipes @ Parts and Labor by Man_of Steel, on Flickr

A very creative cluster of "objects".
    and- these propeller-looking kinda things mounted to the Royal Blue Wall really add another layer of intrigue
    to the "Circus"(thank you James Ward)
    Entry @ PARTS & LABOR by Man_of Steel, on Flickr

Overall - this place will be hoppin' in the summertime-
    as the Back Room's space opens to the Parking Lot-
    where a wall was removed to allow for an overhead Garage Door w/ clear panels
    to be raised- allowing summer-breezes to waft in.....and alcohol inspired patrons to
    stumble around the parking lot- ala Big Star.

OH- YEAH....The food and service.!!
    Friendly staff- very attentive -and well informed.
    The "deal" is the Combo SPECIAL.
    A double cheeseburger and a shot and a side for $10.00-
    or as they describe it-
    Classic or black bean burger, a side and a swill or shot for $10

Parts and Labor's Back Bar by Man_of Steel, on Flickr

Good Burger- Fried Giardiara's OK- great view of the world on Milwaukee Avenue- where you "KNOW" The Neighborhood's changed-
    when The Dialysis Center across the street next to McDonalds is now a Pet Spa / Pet Hotel-
    OY- There goes the neighborhood!
    ( :( cringe- how I miss Tania's- the Cuban Salsa Dance Club- that took me to a wonderful place many a night- long ago)
    Viva La Logan Square!

Parts and Labor
    2700 N Milwaukee Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60647

http://www.partsandlaborchicago.com/
  • Post #2 - February 24th, 2014, 1:30 pm
    Post #2 - February 24th, 2014, 1:30 pm Post #2 - February 24th, 2014, 1:30 pm
    since I'm a huge fan of the thin, griddled burger, I was really looking forward to this place. But early reports of the use of a beef/pork blend for their burgers have really turned me off. I still might try it, but for a place that wants to serve "damn good burgers", using pork strikes me as really, really weird.
  • Post #3 - February 27th, 2014, 10:21 pm
    Post #3 - February 27th, 2014, 10:21 pm Post #3 - February 27th, 2014, 10:21 pm
    I was REALLY underwhelmed by the burgers...
  • Post #4 - March 2nd, 2014, 3:30 pm
    Post #4 - March 2nd, 2014, 3:30 pm Post #4 - March 2nd, 2014, 3:30 pm
    Another thumb down. They have EXACTLY two entree choices, pork/beef burger and black bean burger. Dry, thin, lame, forgettable (beef) burger. Only suitable for adolescents. Fries were uncooked and lukewarm. Fried pickle slices were OK. Loud punk music was fun, for me at least. Really a hipster hangout that happens to have (bad) food. View out of restaurant to McDonalds fuels sarcastic conversation. Ugh.
  • Post #5 - March 3rd, 2014, 4:59 pm
    Post #5 - March 3rd, 2014, 4:59 pm Post #5 - March 3rd, 2014, 4:59 pm
    Another strong thumbs down here. Among other things (as most have been mentioned), they have bizarrely small beer list for the vibe/food selection. I think it was 4-5 beers (TOTAL, not just on tap) when we were there. I'm all for for curated, smaller selections, but if I remember correctly, nearly all of them were IPAs as well. Couldn't for the life of me figure out what this place is going for overall.
  • Post #6 - March 4th, 2014, 11:15 am
    Post #6 - March 4th, 2014, 11:15 am Post #6 - March 4th, 2014, 11:15 am
    It is what it is. I didn't mind it, if anything, I enjoyed it. Just a large, simple, inexpensive bar with a good beer list and a decent burger. The interior was kind of loud but it's just a bar where you're going to spend twenty bucks on a snack and a couple of beers.
    "People are too busy in these times to care about good food. We used to spend months working over a bonne-femme sauce, trying to determine just the right proportions of paprika and fresh forest mushrooms to use." -Karoly Gundel, Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Peregrinations of an Epicure, Joseph Wechsberg, 1954.
  • Post #7 - March 4th, 2014, 11:39 am
    Post #7 - March 4th, 2014, 11:39 am Post #7 - March 4th, 2014, 11:39 am
    One might say, it's the Boiler Room of burgers!
  • Post #8 - March 5th, 2014, 4:16 pm
    Post #8 - March 5th, 2014, 4:16 pm Post #8 - March 5th, 2014, 4:16 pm
    Possumlad wrote:Another strong thumbs down here. Among other things (as most have been mentioned), they have bizarrely small beer list for the vibe/food selection. I think it was 4-5 beers (TOTAL, not just on tap) when we were there. I'm all for for curated, smaller selections, but if I remember correctly, nearly all of them were IPAs as well. Couldn't for the life of me figure out what this place is going for overall.

I ordered off of a much larger list - a dozen or two fine selections. Perhaps you were only looking at the beers that were allowed with the combo?

I only mention it because the beer selection was my favorite part of my meal.

vegmojo
  • Post #9 - December 11th, 2017, 7:48 pm
    Post #9 - December 11th, 2017, 7:48 pm Post #9 - December 11th, 2017, 7:48 pm
    A four-year run of griddled burgers, boozy shakes, and trivia nights ended over the weekend in Logan Square as Parts & Labor closed on Sunday night at 2700 N. Milwaukee Avenue.

https://chicago.eater.com/2017/8/9/1611 ... sures-2017
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #10 - December 13th, 2017, 1:09 am
    Post #10 - December 13th, 2017, 1:09 am Post #10 - December 13th, 2017, 1:09 am
    They had one of the best griddled double cheeseburgers in Chicago, right up there with Au Cheval/Small Cheval, Red Hot Ranch and Flipburger.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more