LTH Home

Authentaco- Ex E side of Ashland La Pasadita

Authentaco- Ex E side of Ashland La Pasadita
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 4
  • Post #31 - October 10th, 2014, 10:30 pm
    Post #31 - October 10th, 2014, 10:30 pm Post #31 - October 10th, 2014, 10:30 pm
    My experience was much better this last visit. I told the counterman that I was previosly shorted a taco so he comped me one, no questions asked. Really appreciated. The lengua tostada and the tacos were great.
  • Post #32 - October 17th, 2014, 8:21 pm
    Post #32 - October 17th, 2014, 8:21 pm Post #32 - October 17th, 2014, 8:21 pm
    Oh my stars! Met friends for dinner, didn't realize it was take out or patio. We did the patio and everyone loved it.

The tepache, Farmer's Market taco and quesadilla were all just delicious. Our friends live nearby and see it going into their weekly rotation. I can't wait to go back.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #33 - October 18th, 2014, 9:01 am
    Post #33 - October 18th, 2014, 9:01 am Post #33 - October 18th, 2014, 9:01 am
    Glad you enjoyed. We're on Hungry Hound this pm so it should raise the profile a bit. Hoping we handle it well. In the meantime, we've got numerous vegetarian options. Besides huitelacoche, flor de calabaza, rajas con queso and a vegetable guisado, we're also doing a sweet potato pastor- roasted w/gujillo pepper sauce and for the non vegs out there topped w/homemade chorizo and crema. And the above mentioned wkly farmers mkt special.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #34 - November 23rd, 2014, 11:20 am
    Post #34 - November 23rd, 2014, 11:20 am Post #34 - November 23rd, 2014, 11:20 am
    Thought this news would be of interest to my LTH family. Starting tomorrow, Monday 11.24.14 we will be the only other outpost for the much loved Old Fashion Donuts Apple Fritter. We're also adding Dark Matter Coffee to the mix. To start, donuts will be avail am's only (6-10). Just testing the waters, but naturally, if there's demand, we'll expand the hrs.
  • Post #35 - November 23rd, 2014, 3:44 pm
    Post #35 - November 23rd, 2014, 3:44 pm Post #35 - November 23rd, 2014, 3:44 pm
    Alambre and sweet potato-chorizo were both really nice this week. I also hadn't had the frijoles, which is a generous portion and with the tasty salsas (and BYO Fritos) makes a much better walking taco than over on Damen.
  • Post #36 - November 24th, 2014, 2:55 pm
    Post #36 - November 24th, 2014, 2:55 pm Post #36 - November 24th, 2014, 2:55 pm
    Thought this news would be of interest to my LTH family. Starting tomorrow, Monday 11.24.14 we will be the only other outpost for the much loved Old Fashion Donuts Apple Fritter. We're also adding Dark Matter Coffee to the mix. To start, donuts will be avail am's only (6-10). Just testing the waters, but naturally, if there's demand, we'll expand the hrs.

Jazzfood, does that mean that you are open before 11am? I took a look at the website to see about getting coffee and a donut there today, and the hours didn't line up with my morning errands, unfortunately.
    Anthony Bourdain on Barack Obama: "He's from Chicago, so he knows what good food is."
  • Post #37 - November 24th, 2014, 4:27 pm
    Post #37 - November 24th, 2014, 4:27 pm Post #37 - November 24th, 2014, 4:27 pm
    We will be open @ 6am for the donuts and dark matter. We've also decided to sell them throughout the day as opposed to stopping @ 10 am. The tacos begin @ 11.
  • Post #38 - November 24th, 2014, 4:40 pm
    Post #38 - November 24th, 2014, 4:40 pm Post #38 - November 24th, 2014, 4:40 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:We will be open @ 6am for the donuts and dark matter. We've also decided to sell them throughout the day as opposed to stopping @ 10 am. The tacos begin @ 11.

Darn it! I would have stopped by this afternoon.
    Last edited by pairs4life on November 29th, 2014, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

• Post #39 - November 24th, 2014, 4:59 pm
    Post #39 - November 24th, 2014, 4:59 pm Post #39 - November 24th, 2014, 4:59 pm
    To maintain optimum fritterness we'll sell them until we run out. Playing it by ear @ the moment until we can establish a par. We'll be picking them up daily, so if you want a lg #, suggest pre-ordering.
  • Post #40 - November 24th, 2014, 5:35 pm
    Post #40 - November 24th, 2014, 5:35 pm Post #40 - November 24th, 2014, 5:35 pm
    We will be open @ 6am for the donuts and dark matter. We've also decided to sell them throughout the day as opposed to stopping @ 10 am. The tacos begin @ 11.

Excellent news! And if I time it right...donut with coffee, followed by some tacos. Perfect.
    Anthony Bourdain on Barack Obama: "He's from Chicago, so he knows what good food is."
  • Post #41 - November 24th, 2014, 5:58 pm
    Post #41 - November 24th, 2014, 5:58 pm Post #41 - November 24th, 2014, 5:58 pm
    Nice. Never thought Authentaco would vie for my daily java and pastry dollars along with Intelligentsia, Streets and (rarely) Alliance. I'll be there, plenty.
  • Post #42 - November 24th, 2014, 6:44 pm
    Post #42 - November 24th, 2014, 6:44 pm Post #42 - November 24th, 2014, 6:44 pm
    I checked out Authentaco over the weekend at a friend's behest (and to fill the hole that's been in my soul since Tierre Caliente/el Chapin shut down), and tried the al pastor, the barbacoa, the... sorry, it's the one with poblanos and cheese, but it's not chile relleno (edit: rajas, I think), and the sweet potato al pastor before shuffling home in a taco-induced daze. I liked the sweet potato al pastor, with its nice blend of earthy heat and natural sweetness, rounded out with chorizo and the usual onion/cilantro garnish best of all, but each needed acid to brighten up the rich and somewhat sweet filling. No lime wedges were offered, and I didn't think to ask for any, but perhaps it's for the best; they were pretty "wet" tacos, located a little south of "carbonade à la flamande" in their consistency, and they'll stain if you're careless. There are probably hundreds of personal and regional explanations for this style, but when I order tacos al pastor (it's rarely in the singular), I expect some reduction, char and perhaps even a little smoke if I'm lucky. If the pork I ate at Authentaco had any of those, they were lost in the sauce. The barbacoa was sweet and complex and the poblano intensely, refreshingly vegetal, but I wasn't crazy about them. Still, I'd go back for the massive, pillowy, frigging gorgeous tortillas and eat whatever came with them, they were so good. They were like masa naan, and I want to buy a fresh, plain one just to see if I can stuff the whole thing in my gob.

So, I hope for drier tacos with lime wedges next time, and I'll ask for... a dozen tortillas to take home. Maybe if enough people ask, Authentaco will find a way to make that happen, and we can all experience the undeniable pleasures of a tortilla coma in the comfort of our own homes.
    Last edited by syncretism on December 5th, 2014, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #43 - November 26th, 2014, 11:26 am
    Post #43 - November 26th, 2014, 11:26 am Post #43 - November 26th, 2014, 11:26 am
    I stopped by yesterday a bit after noon and scored 3 fritters. I suspect the word is not out yet + holiday travel/time-off from work. It was a high note of my day.
    Last edited by pairs4life on November 27th, 2014, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Post #44 - November 26th, 2014, 9:27 pm
    Post #44 - November 26th, 2014, 9:27 pm Post #44 - November 26th, 2014, 9:27 pm
    I stopped in this morning and there were two full sheet pans of fritters. My first OFD apple fritter experience and it lived up to all expectations. Housed the whole thing by myself. Could have eaten the one I bought for my wife, but would probably be dead now if it didn't make it to her.

On another note, I was told they are planning on making migas tacos with house made flour tortillas in the near future to go alongside the donuts during the breakfast hours.
  • Post #45 - November 27th, 2014, 10:25 am
    Post #45 - November 27th, 2014, 10:25 am Post #45 - November 27th, 2014, 10:25 am
    Ooooh, migas!

• Post #46 - November 27th, 2014, 10:40 am
    Post #46 - November 27th, 2014, 10:40 am Post #46 - November 27th, 2014, 10:40 am
    the wimperoo wrote:I stopped in this morning and there were two full sheet pans of fritters.

I always thought Alan was a smart guy, but did not realize he was a genius until this very second.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #47 - December 2nd, 2014, 1:19 pm
    Post #47 - December 2nd, 2014, 1:19 pm Post #47 - December 2nd, 2014, 1:19 pm
    The apple fritters are the size of hubcaps. If you have a sweet tooth, they're probably an mitigated joy. I don't, and after my second round of tacos, I think my options at Authentaco are limited. The sweet potato pastor was candy-like; if you told me that they ran a special Thanksgiving taco with sweet potatoes, pineapple and toasted marshmallows, I'd believe you. But the steak alambre taco, currently a special menu item, was loaded with bacon, savory, salty and smoky. I hope it'll stay around, because it's the best thing I've eaten at Authentaco, and is now my favorite taco on that strip.
  • Post #48 - December 2nd, 2014, 1:40 pm
    Post #48 - December 2nd, 2014, 1:40 pm Post #48 - December 2nd, 2014, 1:40 pm
    I think it would require four of me to eat those fritters and they seemed to have a lot of them even in the evening, so I'm not sure if they are really selling well. I'd buy a much smaller one.
  • Post #49 - December 2nd, 2014, 1:49 pm
    Post #49 - December 2nd, 2014, 1:49 pm Post #49 - December 2nd, 2014, 1:49 pm
    Those Old Fashioned fritters are iconic and absolutely one of my favorite confections in the city. I'm thrilled that they are now available so far north. I think it's a great idea to carry them at Authentaco. I'm not much of a sweets person but I plan on grabbing one every once in while. I'm guessing that once the word gets out, they'll probably move them steadily.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #50 - December 2nd, 2014, 2:01 pm
    Post #50 - December 2nd, 2014, 2:01 pm Post #50 - December 2nd, 2014, 2:01 pm
    What are they charging for a fritter? I assume there's a little bit of a markup over the home office.
  • Post #51 - December 2nd, 2014, 2:20 pm
    Post #51 - December 2nd, 2014, 2:20 pm Post #51 - December 2nd, 2014, 2:20 pm
    Four-fiddy, IIRC.
  • Post #52 - December 2nd, 2014, 3:13 pm
    Post #52 - December 2nd, 2014, 3:13 pm Post #52 - December 2nd, 2014, 3:13 pm
    mgmcewen wrote:I think it would require four of me to eat those fritters and they seemed to have a lot of them even in the evening, so I'm not sure if they are really selling well. I'd buy a much smaller one.

Leftover portions of Old Fashioned's fritters are said to freeze relatively well, if that's any help. Although coming from me, this is just hearsay; I've always managed to finish them within a day, as shameful as that may be.
    JiLS
  • Post #53 - December 2nd, 2014, 4:03 pm
    Post #53 - December 2nd, 2014, 4:03 pm Post #53 - December 2nd, 2014, 4:03 pm
    JimInLoganSquare wrote:Leftover portions of Old Fashioned's fritters are said to freeze relatively well, if that's any help. Although coming from me, this is just hearsay; I've always managed to finish them within a day, as shameful as that may be.

They do freeze extremely well, and they are great straight from the freezer, too. No need to defrost.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #54 - December 2nd, 2014, 7:54 pm
    Post #54 - December 2nd, 2014, 7:54 pm Post #54 - December 2nd, 2014, 7:54 pm
    stevez wrote:
    JimInLoganSquare wrote:Leftover portions of Old Fashioned's fritters are said to freeze relatively well, if that's any help. Although coming from me, this is just hearsay; I've always managed to finish them within a day, as shameful as that may be.

They do freeze extremely well, and they are great straight from the freezer, too. No need to defrost.

When I bought my 3 last week two went directly into the freezer. I ate half of the other and that also went to the freezer. Tonight, I pulled one out and cut half of it and ate it. The final quarter of that fritter will be eaten tomorrow I suspect.

• Post #55 - December 3rd, 2014, 10:45 am
    Post #55 - December 3rd, 2014, 10:45 am Post #55 - December 3rd, 2014, 10:45 am
    Next time I need to bring a pie somewhere I'll just get a fritter to bring instead :)
  • Post #56 - December 3rd, 2014, 3:30 pm
    Post #56 - December 3rd, 2014, 3:30 pm Post #56 - December 3rd, 2014, 3:30 pm
    mgmcewen wrote:Next time I need to bring a pie somewhere I'll just get a fritter to bring instead :)

Or if your car ever loses a hub cap. :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #57 - January 21st, 2015, 2:27 pm
    Post #57 - January 21st, 2015, 2:27 pm Post #57 - January 21st, 2015, 2:27 pm
    Are the fritters still available?
    "Ah, lamentably no, my gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety" - Homer J. Simpson
  • Post #58 - January 21st, 2015, 6:19 pm
    Post #58 - January 21st, 2015, 6:19 pm Post #58 - January 21st, 2015, 6:19 pm
    clogoodie wrote:Are the fritters still available?

I got one last Saturday. Same as it ever was!

• Post #59 - January 23rd, 2015, 8:31 pm
    Post #59 - January 23rd, 2015, 8:31 pm Post #59 - January 23rd, 2015, 8:31 pm
    I finally made it to Authentaco today; took a colleague who lives in Wicker Park and who now declares Authentaco the only place he wants to go to for Mexican. Well, I won't commit at that level, but I was deeply impressed by two items I ate, both of which are best in class in my experience. Menu item 1: Huitlacoche quesadilla. An umami H-bomb. Huge in size and flavor, this was so far beyond what I've had elsewhere that I think it might be a different animal; e.g., maybe not using canned huitlacoche, but also some real artistry in how they blended the smut, cheese, peppers and oil. And, it is huge. All good here.

Menu item 2: Lengua taco. Ordered as an afterthought, just in case the quesadilla would not be sufficient for my appetite (it was, but ...). This was the best lengua taco I've ever had, to the extent that I would say it was categorically distinct from and better than any I've had before. Most obviously, the tongue was cut into much larger pieces than I am used to, but it exhibited an exquisitely unctuous texture throughout each of the quarter-inch sized pieces. The sauce on the meat was also an unexpected but marvelous addition. Go eat this taco.

I also enjoyed a sample or two of my colleague's guacamole, especially appreciating the liberal use of lime juice in the mix. Liked it even though I am generally not a huge guac fan.

We resisted the temptation to top this off with Old Fashioned donuts or fritters, but I was mightily impressed by the shear quantity of the baked goods they had. Couple dozen fritters, equal numbers of two or three flavors of donut. Hipster donut purveyors: You have been served; let's see how you return it.
    JiLS
  • Post #60 - January 24th, 2015, 12:42 pm
    Post #60 - January 24th, 2015, 12:42 pm Post #60 - January 24th, 2015, 12:42 pm
    This time of year, the huitlacoche is coming from a jar, not fresh or from a can. We sourced numerous purveyors until we found the one closest to fresh. Currently in talks w/a corn farmer that is looking to try to control some of the conditions needed for huitlacoche to develop. If he's successful, we'll source from him during the season. What you may have tasted are the portabella mushrooms we saute to combine with it as well. Similar taste profile that supports/reinforces the flavor, adds to the mouth feel and increases yield. If I may make one comment, try the huitlacoche as a taco w/some guac and queso fresco instead of in a quesadilla, which to me gets overpowered by the amount of cheese. That's the umami bomb of bombs.

The lengua is poached w/aromatics, cooled, cleaned, and diced lgr then most (something we prefer for many reasons- for one, it lives on a steamtable and therefore doesn't break down as much, and two, what you described, texture wise) then sauced w/a mixture of the poaching liquid and gujillo pepper sauce. It's one of my favorites as well.

Glad you enjoyed. Just making some logical culinary jumps (to me) w/otherwise traditional methods.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more