LTH Home

Paradise Pup in DesPlaines

Paradise Pup in DesPlaines
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - June 13th, 2017, 1:52 pm
    Post #31 - June 13th, 2017, 1:52 pm Post #31 - June 13th, 2017, 1:52 pm
    I've only had the char-burger (single and double) over the years and they do the quintessential version of what I call a Chicago char-burger. Their crinkle fries are lousy (and I normally can enjoy most frozen fries). Maybe I'll do something else on the side next time - and yes - there will definitely be a next time. It's too bad it's literally a shack because if it were a bit bigger with tables, they'd really kill it.
  • Post #32 - June 13th, 2017, 2:37 pm
    Post #32 - June 13th, 2017, 2:37 pm Post #32 - June 13th, 2017, 2:37 pm
    Ram4 wrote:I've only had the char-burger (single and double) over the years and they do the quintessential version of what I call a Chicago char-burger. Their crinkle fries are lousy (and I normally can enjoy most frozen fries). Maybe I'll do something else on the side next time - and yes - there will definitely be a next time. It's too bad it's literally a shack because if it were a bit bigger with tables, they'd really kill it.


    Don't overlook the hot dogs. They crank out a mighty fine version of a Chicago dog. That's usually my side order along with a burger. I always skip the fries, too.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #33 - June 13th, 2017, 7:39 pm
    Post #33 - June 13th, 2017, 7:39 pm Post #33 - June 13th, 2017, 7:39 pm
    The two most underrated items at the Pup are the onion rings (I'm assuming they don't bread them but still a nice beer batter) and the teriyaki chicken. Yes, the fries suck. And the beef was pretty mediocre (pales compared to Bob-O's).

    I wouldn't worry about one burger being off . . . I suppose it happens, but I wouldn't attribute it to them being slammed . . . they're always slammed. But I'm there almost once every couple of weeks and they're pretty consistent these days.
    I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted, cured meats. (Seinfeld)

    Twitter: brbinchicago
  • Post #34 - June 19th, 2017, 8:30 pm
    Post #34 - June 19th, 2017, 8:30 pm Post #34 - June 19th, 2017, 8:30 pm
    Stevez and BR - looks like we agree on skipping the fries. Yes, a hot dog on the side would be nice, or battered onion rings with a burger (or double) would be a good combo too.
  • Post #35 - August 1st, 2017, 2:09 pm
    Post #35 - August 1st, 2017, 2:09 pm Post #35 - August 1st, 2017, 2:09 pm
    Ram4 wrote:Stevez and BR - looks like we agree on skipping the fries. Yes, a hot dog on the side would be nice, or battered onion rings with a burger (or double) would be a good combo too.


    I found myself close to Paradise Pup at straight-up noon today. It had just rained for a couple of minutes, but the sun was returning to the sky when I pulled into the lot. For the first time in over 25 years of going there, I was able to stroll right up to the counter and place my order. That's right, no line. The Gods were with me today! The only thing missing was a double rainbow.

    I placed my usual order, a Swiss burger with a hot dog on the side. I passed on a milk shake and got a black cherry instead. It's been a while since I've been to the Pup, but everything tasted exactly as I remembered it.

    ETA: After comparing my picture with the one Mike G posted on the first page of this thread, it appears that the buns have changed. They used to be egg washed and more shiny/crusty than they are now. Still a great, eggy bun, though.
    paradise pup.jpg Swiss Burger with a Side Dog
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #36 - April 26th, 2018, 11:11 am
    Post #36 - April 26th, 2018, 11:11 am Post #36 - April 26th, 2018, 11:11 am
    I went yesterday and had the Merkt cheese burger and an order of onion rings.

    I’m not a fan. I thought the Merkt overpowered the burger. When I got just the burger, I liked it. I agree the rings are good, a real nice breading, probably not housemade.

    It was very crowded at 12:30. I’ll go back for the burger (no Merkt) and the rings.

    D.
  • Post #37 - April 26th, 2018, 11:39 am
    Post #37 - April 26th, 2018, 11:39 am Post #37 - April 26th, 2018, 11:39 am
    dodger wrote:I went yesterday and had the Merkt cheese burger and an order of onion rings.

    I’m not a fan. I thought the Merkt overpowered the burger. When I got just the burger, I liked it. I agree the rings are good, a real nice breading, probably not housemade.

    It was very crowded at 12:30. I’ll go back for the burger (no Merkt) and the rings.

    D.

    I'm with you on the Merkts, but I almost always prefer a mild cheese, like American, on a burger, and little in the way of accompaniments, so I can taste the beef.
    I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted, cured meats. (Seinfeld)

    Twitter: brbinchicago
  • Post #38 - April 26th, 2018, 2:00 pm
    Post #38 - April 26th, 2018, 2:00 pm Post #38 - April 26th, 2018, 2:00 pm
    Sometimes I enjoy the beef too but a Merkt’s topped burger is somewhat rare so I always go for the taste of Merkt’s. :)
    "Make Lunch, Not War" ~ Anon
  • Post #39 - April 27th, 2018, 2:13 pm
    Post #39 - April 27th, 2018, 2:13 pm Post #39 - April 27th, 2018, 2:13 pm
    I agree with BR on the milder cheese. To each his own though. There are places like Oscar's in Milwaukee (19th and Pierce) who make the Big "O" that has pepper jack and smoked gouda on top of sautéed onions, bacon, jalapeno, and chorizo mix with a side of guac. That is one fine burger with a side of home cut fries for only $7.50. One of the best in Milwaukee. What I really like is a rye bun for the burger. I love the combo of a good burger and rye bun. Are there any places with real rye buns?
  • Post #40 - April 27th, 2018, 2:21 pm
    Post #40 - April 27th, 2018, 2:21 pm Post #40 - April 27th, 2018, 2:21 pm
    Puckjam wrote:I agree with BR on the milder cheese. To each his own though. There are places like Oscar's in Milwaukee (19th and Pierce) who make the Big "O" that has pepper jack and smoked gouda on top of sautéed onions, bacon, jalapeno, and chorizo mix with a side of guac. That is one fine burger with a side of home cut fries for only $7.50. One of the best in Milwaukee. What I really like is a rye bun for the burger. I love the combo of a good burger and rye bun. Are there any places with real rye buns?

    Not a rye bun, but back in the day the Medici in Hyde Park had a burger on rye bread. I haven't been there in years, so not sure if they still do.
  • Post #41 - April 27th, 2018, 3:16 pm
    Post #41 - April 27th, 2018, 3:16 pm Post #41 - April 27th, 2018, 3:16 pm
    Another place offering burgers (good ones) on rye is Hackney's, which offers the choice of their own dark rye or a bun.
  • Post #42 - April 27th, 2018, 6:24 pm
    Post #42 - April 27th, 2018, 6:24 pm Post #42 - April 27th, 2018, 6:24 pm
    Go Merkt's or go home!
    i used to milk cows
  • Post #43 - October 23rd, 2018, 7:34 am
    Post #43 - October 23rd, 2018, 7:34 am Post #43 - October 23rd, 2018, 7:34 am
    Met friend for lunch last Saturday.
    Arrived about 10:45 and already two people in line!
    Finally got to order a double Cheddar Char Burger/Rye with Merkt’s and raw onions. We split an order of fries.
    Fries nice and hot.
    Frankly the only thing that would make the burger better would be charcoal.
    Well maybe a little butter also.
    But next time, only a single burger as one of the patties slid out of the bread entirely and I just could not keep it corralled, besides which, it was just too much for me to eat!-Richard
  • Post #44 - October 31st, 2018, 8:21 pm
    Post #44 - October 31st, 2018, 8:21 pm Post #44 - October 31st, 2018, 8:21 pm
    Des Plaines Eatery Paradise Pup Suddenly Closes

    at journal-topics.com, Lauren Barry wrote:Paradise Pup, a popular Des Plaines restaurant on River Road just south of Oakton Street, closed unexpectedly Tuesday, but the reason why remains unclear.

    A sign posted on the shop’s front door reads “closed due to family emergency.” Some local residents have taken to social media with claims that vehicles, at one point Tuesday (Oct. 30), blocked customers from entering the parking lot.

    One longtime Des Plaines resident told the Journal & Topics he saw around eight to 12 unmarked vehicles surrounding the building at 1724 River Rd. at around 11:15 a.m. Tuesday when he tried to pull into the lot. Video footage taken by the man shows a number of vehicles in the lot behind the building and a black SUV with red and blue flashing lights parked in front.

    “I saw two individuals dressed in suits talking to the owners,” he said, along with others wearing gloves and looking through a Paradise Pup dumpster.

    =R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #45 - November 1st, 2018, 12:32 pm
    Post #45 - November 1st, 2018, 12:32 pm Post #45 - November 1st, 2018, 12:32 pm
    so we talking health code or tax evasion?

    Or something else?

    I say we take this opportunity to wildly speculate...

    human trafficking?
  • Post #46 - November 1st, 2018, 4:17 pm
    Post #46 - November 1st, 2018, 4:17 pm Post #46 - November 1st, 2018, 4:17 pm
    shakes wrote:
    I say we take this opportunity to wildly speculate...


    Those frozen seasoned fries they serve are a crime! Maybe that’s it.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #47 - November 1st, 2018, 5:04 pm
    Post #47 - November 1st, 2018, 5:04 pm Post #47 - November 1st, 2018, 5:04 pm
    Soilent Green hot dogs are people!!!!
  • Post #48 - November 1st, 2018, 5:18 pm
    Post #48 - November 1st, 2018, 5:18 pm Post #48 - November 1st, 2018, 5:18 pm
    shakes wrote:so we talking health code or tax evasion?

    Or something else?

    I say we take this opportunity to wildly speculate...

    human trafficking?

    Like Katy’s probably tax evasion.

    The unmarked SUVs are reminiscent of the raid on the Oak Park location that led to the change in ownership.

    Things were never the same after that.
    "Make Lunch, Not War" ~ Anon
  • Post #49 - November 1st, 2018, 7:22 pm
    Post #49 - November 1st, 2018, 7:22 pm Post #49 - November 1st, 2018, 7:22 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:
    shakes wrote:I say we take this opportunity to wildly speculate...

    human trafficking?

    Like Katy’s probably tax evasion.

    Like Comet Ping Pong probably a child sex ring. :shock: (Ref)
  • Post #50 - November 1st, 2018, 7:32 pm
    Post #50 - November 1st, 2018, 7:32 pm Post #50 - November 1st, 2018, 7:32 pm
    Supposedly opening tomorrow.
    https://chicago.eater.com/2018/11/1/180 ... ogs-reopen
    "At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom." George Carlin
  • Post #51 - November 1st, 2018, 10:05 pm
    Post #51 - November 1st, 2018, 10:05 pm Post #51 - November 1st, 2018, 10:05 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Supposedly opening tomorrow.
    https://chicago.eater.com/2018/11/1/180 ... ogs-reopen

    Lol @ this:
    eater.com wrote:A thread on the LTHForum message board [this thread] contained rumors that aren’t grounded in any facts.

    =R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #52 - November 1st, 2018, 10:42 pm
    Post #52 - November 1st, 2018, 10:42 pm Post #52 - November 1st, 2018, 10:42 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Lol @ this:
    eater.com wrote:A thread on the LTHForum message board [this thread] contained rumors that aren’t grounded in any facts.

    =R=

    That’s awesome.

    I still think it’s taxes. :)
    "Make Lunch, Not War" ~ Anon
  • Post #53 - November 1st, 2018, 10:54 pm
    Post #53 - November 1st, 2018, 10:54 pm Post #53 - November 1st, 2018, 10:54 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Lol @ this:
    eater.com wrote:A thread on the LTHForum message board [this thread] contained rumors that aren’t grounded in any facts.

    =R=

    That’s awesome.

    I still think it’s taxes. :)

    I guess the robots that write the articles at eater.com aren't programmed with senses of humor. 8)

    =R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #54 - November 2nd, 2018, 8:27 am
    Post #54 - November 2nd, 2018, 8:27 am Post #54 - November 2nd, 2018, 8:27 am
    Panther In The Den wrote:I still think it’s taxes. :)

    ronnie_suburban wrote:I guess the robots that write the articles at eater.com aren't programmed with senses of humor. 8)

    =R=

    Eater.com has writers?
  • Post #55 - November 2nd, 2018, 10:29 am
    Post #55 - November 2nd, 2018, 10:29 am Post #55 - November 2nd, 2018, 10:29 am
    It's gotta be taxes.

    I heard they were going to rename the place Felony Franks North when they re-open today :)
  • Post #56 - November 2nd, 2018, 12:43 pm
    Post #56 - November 2nd, 2018, 12:43 pm Post #56 - November 2nd, 2018, 12:43 pm
    shakes wrote:It's gotta be taxes.

    I heard they were going to rename the place Felony Franks North when they re-open today :)


    LOL

    Better than my option of "Gone to the Dogs" which I'm sure is an actual name for a hotdog joint somewhere.
  • Post #57 - November 3rd, 2018, 5:02 pm
    Post #57 - November 3rd, 2018, 5:02 pm Post #57 - November 3rd, 2018, 5:02 pm
    Nothing I've heard about the IRS budget or manpower in recent years suggests to me that raiding little stand-alone places like this is on their to-do list. Now, the Tony Yu multi-restaurant empire, I can see that. On the other hand, there is an IRS office in Des Plaines ... Yeah, but no, I still can't see it with the cars and lights and everything. I'll bet here and now it was something else.
    Last edited by Katie on November 3rd, 2018, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #58 - November 3rd, 2018, 5:18 pm
    Post #58 - November 3rd, 2018, 5:18 pm Post #58 - November 3rd, 2018, 5:18 pm
    Katie wrote:I'll bet here and now it was something else.


    I still think its those terrible fries. :wink:

    At least they’re back open slinging great burgers & dogs.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #59 - November 3rd, 2018, 7:04 pm
    Post #59 - November 3rd, 2018, 7:04 pm Post #59 - November 3rd, 2018, 7:04 pm
    Katie wrote:Nothing I've heard about the IRS budget or manpower in recent years suggests to me that raiding little stand-alone places like this is on their list. Now, the Tony Yu multi-restaurant empire, I can see that. On the other hand, there is an IRS office in Des Plaines ... Yeah, but no, I still can't see it with the cars and lights and everything. I'll bet here and now it was something else.


    Soilent Green Hot Dogs Are People! In the dumpster!!!!!! LOL LOL LOL
  • Post #60 - November 3rd, 2018, 7:58 pm
    Post #60 - November 3rd, 2018, 7:58 pm Post #60 - November 3rd, 2018, 7:58 pm
    Katie wrote:Nothing I've heard about the IRS budget or manpower in recent years suggests to me that raiding little stand-alone places like this is on their to-do list. Now, the Tony Yu multi-restaurant empire, I can see that. On the other hand, there is an IRS office in Des Plaines ... Yeah, but no, I still can't see it with the cars and lights and everything. I'll bet here and now it was something else.

    35+ year old business that's only ever taken cash. nope, no chance of any shenanigans there.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more