LTH Home

dak Korean Chicken Wings on Granville

dak Korean Chicken Wings on Granville
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • dak Korean Chicken Wings on Granville

Post #1 - January 5th, 2013, 3:30 pm
    Post #1 - January 5th, 2013, 3:30 pm Post #1 - January 5th, 2013, 3:30 pm
    This storefront operation in the block just east of the Granville el station is currently doing a soft opening. Today’s initial visit involved only the Korean wings and a couple of sides, but we will definitely be back to work our way through the menu.

The wings are huge and whole. They blessedly devoid of heavy breading and can be truly described as non-greasy. Very tender and very juicy. The sauces are terrific – one is a spicy and Sweet BBQ (Korean, not Memphis/Carolina/Texas) and the other is Soy Garlic (no vampires in sight). Both are very good and Sriracha is available to amp up the heat.

The Kimchi is house-made and fresh, with a nice kick. The refreshing side dish called Moo is small-dice carrot and daikon in a pleasantly sweet and tangy sauce. The Dumplings are an excellent fried mandoo with a tasty filling inside a nicely crisped wrapper. Great fun food.

The menu also includes Rice Bowls and Entrees, such as Chicken Gogi, Pork Gogi, Bul Gogi and Kimchi Fried Rice. Inspiration for many more visits.

Even though they are still working out the kinks, everything went smoothly. They are working on expanding the menu and getting the web site up and running. In the meantime, enjoy what they already have.

dak Korean Chicken Wings
    1104 W. Granville
    Chicago, IL 60660
    773-754-0255

www.dakwings.com
  • Post #2 - January 5th, 2013, 3:31 pm
    Post #2 - January 5th, 2013, 3:31 pm Post #2 - January 5th, 2013, 3:31 pm
    I've been meaning to try this place, thanks for the reminder and positive review.
  • Post #3 - January 10th, 2013, 9:57 am
    Post #3 - January 10th, 2013, 9:57 am Post #3 - January 10th, 2013, 9:57 am
    Stopped here yesterday for some wings. Very good. I was told the wings were brined, and you could tell. Huge wings that were fried fresh and seasoned really well. I tried the BBQ sauce and while it was good I wished it had more spice. Some sriracha helped that.

The rice bowls that came out of the kitchen looked really good, but I didn't try one-next time.

FWIW, apparently Steve Dolinsky and crew will be there to film this Friday.
  • Post #4 - January 11th, 2013, 9:27 am
    Post #4 - January 11th, 2013, 9:27 am Post #4 - January 11th, 2013, 9:27 am
    I live about a 5 minute walk away from dak and made my first visit there last night. The owners (at least I took them to be the owners) were all very nice and asking how everything was. I only ordered the soy garlic wings, but they also have the usual Korean rice and gogi dishes available.

The wings were very good; large and deep-fried to order. They do not break the wings down so an order of 5 is plenty for one.

All in all, it seems to be a solid place and good option for the neighborhood. The only issue I would question is wing pricing: $9 for 5, $16 for 10. While not completely out of line with the size and quality of the dish, the pricing seems more River North to me than Edgewater. But I assume that they have done their homework with what is viable.

I hope they do well, and plan on returning.
  • Post #5 - January 11th, 2013, 12:47 pm
    Post #5 - January 11th, 2013, 12:47 pm Post #5 - January 11th, 2013, 12:47 pm
    Chicago Hokie wrote:While not completely out of line with the size and quality of the dish, the pricing seems more River North to me than Edgewater.

That's a good way of putting it.

I'm not a big fan of wings, so I may well have only myself to blame for not getting the specialty, but what I did have was fairly average and slightly overpriced. (E.g., the $9 bibimbap had quite a lot of shredded lettuce; entrees come only with kimchi, and some don't even have that). It's clean and shiny, and perfect for exposing someone to his or her first taste of Korean food; if you're stuck in the neighborhood, it's probably the best food in a several block radius. But I don't think it's a destination. Although maybe the wings are awesome.
  • Post #6 - January 21st, 2013, 12:23 pm
    Post #6 - January 21st, 2013, 12:23 pm Post #6 - January 21st, 2013, 12:23 pm
    I took my 7 year old daughter after religious school on Sunday (our Temple is around the corner) for lunch before Lickety Split. We got an 5-order of the Garlic Soy Wings and Tofu Rice Bowl. It was more food than we could eat. I got an order of Kimchee and my wife ate the leftover rice bowl (needless to say we polished off the wings) for lunch as well.

I found the wings outstanding. The pickled carrots were the only time I've successfully gotten my daughter to eat carrots.. I'll definitely go back.
  • Post #7 - February 1st, 2013, 9:38 am
    Post #7 - February 1st, 2013, 9:38 am Post #7 - February 1st, 2013, 9:38 am
    A second trip to dak yesterday, and those soy garlic wings are growing on me mighty quickly. It's becoming a good stop right after getting off the train from work for a quick dinner.
  • Post #8 - March 19th, 2013, 1:53 pm
    Post #8 - March 19th, 2013, 1:53 pm Post #8 - March 19th, 2013, 1:53 pm
    Had my second trip there last Sunday. Fed 5 - 3 adults 2 kids for $38 (all drank water though) and we were all VERY full afterwards! My 7 year old daughter ate most of my Bulgogi. I've never seen her eat so much beef before....
  • Post #9 - March 19th, 2013, 9:24 pm
    Post #9 - March 19th, 2013, 9:24 pm Post #9 - March 19th, 2013, 9:24 pm
    My husband and I went to Dak today -- it was a consolation prize lunch since we were supposed to spend the day at King Spa but work got in the way for me. The gentleman who greeted us could not have been nicer and really, genuine in the taking care of us. I felt like I was getting the Korean version of the intro that you get at Cemitas Puebla. ("Have you been here before? Can I tell you the difference between the two wing sauces?) I asked if the "rice bowls" were actually Bi Bim Bop and he he nodded and said yes, they were just trying to make it more palatable for people that don't know Korean food. I ordered the "Rice Bowl" with Beef Bulgogi and my husband ordered five of the wings. He was obviously wavering so the guy said, "We don't usually do this for customers, but since you are new, we'll give you two of the sweeter sauce and three of the spicier BBQ." As said above, the wings are gonzo-big and sweeter than you get at a place like Crisp. I just had literally three bites. Too sweet for me but that is not about quality at all, I don't like BBQ sauce for the same reason.

But the Bi Bim Bop? What an amazing deal and such great contrasts in flavor. (And so much better than the insipid bowl they serve to you at the cafe at King Spa.) It had so much grilled meat that I kept finding it under the rice. Plus this had spinach and mushrooms, welcome additions to Bi Bim Bops that sometime seem to just be lettuce and carrots. (This had those too.)

I will be back for the Bi Bim Bop!

bjt
    "eating is an agricultural act" wendell berry
  • Post #10 - August 28th, 2016, 4:46 pm
    Post #10 - August 28th, 2016, 4:46 pm Post #10 - August 28th, 2016, 4:46 pm
    I meant to post this a couple of weeks ago but forgot. DAK is currently closed for remodeling. They were projecting to reopen in mid-August but the windows are still papered over. If you're planning to visit, call first or check their Facebook page for updates.
  • Post #11 - September 10th, 2016, 10:17 am
    Post #11 - September 10th, 2016, 10:17 am Post #11 - September 10th, 2016, 10:17 am
    I hope they do reopen, and that 'closed for renovations' sign isn't something that eventually turns into a permanent closure. Fingers crossed, since I wanted to see how their wings compared to Crisp, and I still hadn't made it to Dak. Hopefully the closed for renovations sign and papered over windows, is only temporary.
  • Post #12 - March 9th, 2018, 6:56 pm
    Post #12 - March 9th, 2018, 6:56 pm Post #12 - March 9th, 2018, 6:56 pm
    dumpstermcnuggets wrote:I hope they do reopen

Dak is reopen and doing a tasty version of Korean Wings. Crispy, hint of heat and a generous if ever so slightly pricey portion of large 3-part wing.

Dak3.jpg Dak 3-part Korean Wings

Dak4.jpg Dak on Granville

Dak
    1104 W Granville Ave
    Chicago, IL 60659
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #13 - January 24th, 2023, 9:28 am
    Post #13 - January 24th, 2023, 9:28 am Post #13 - January 24th, 2023, 9:28 am
    I believe dak has served their last order of chicken wings. Google and Yelp are both saying permanently closed and their website has gone "private."

https://www.dakwings.com/home

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more