LTH Home

ATK - Andy's Thai Kitchen

ATK - Andy's Thai Kitchen
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - September 5th, 2018, 2:03 pm
    Post #91 - September 5th, 2018, 2:03 pm Post #91 - September 5th, 2018, 2:03 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:
    Clarence Beeks wrote:it feels like you already know that your visit was representative of nothing significant

Not true. It was representative of a restaurant that I had not tried, that I found out does not do a very good job with those dishes. It's extremely significant for anyone who likes those dishes when they're well prepared, or find themselves dining with those who do. Maybe not significant for you, but isn't that what LTH is for, to share all opinions so that each of us can decide what is and isn't relevant to our own tastes and preferences? The two snarky replies only diminish and debase the level of discourse, and add nothing to the knowledge base about this restaurant.

not snarking, serious. i read your post and took it that you don't really like thai food or understand it much especially since u ordered stuff that was known 2 be outside of the places strengths. that's why i didn't think your post signified much. sorry.
  • Post #92 - September 6th, 2018, 4:40 pm
    Post #92 - September 6th, 2018, 4:40 pm Post #92 - September 6th, 2018, 4:40 pm
    Clarence Beeks wrote:not snarking, serious. i read your post and took it that you don't really like thai food or understand it much especially since u ordered stuff that was known 2 be outside of the places strengths. that's why i didn't think your post signified much. sorry.

I like the more "adventurous" things at ATK and have found the less adventurous things to be not worth having. So we agree there. (And so does nsxtasy, on that last part.)

But if a Thai restaurant believes certain items are not "real" Thai food, it ought not have them on the menu. Conversely, if it has dishes on the menu, it ought to try to do them well.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #93 - September 6th, 2018, 8:40 pm
    Post #93 - September 6th, 2018, 8:40 pm Post #93 - September 6th, 2018, 8:40 pm
    riddlemay wrote:But if a Thai restaurant believes certain items are not "real" Thai food, it ought not have them on the menu. Conversely, if it has dishes on the menu, it ought to try to do them well.
    Who is to say that ATK does not feel they do aforementioned dishes well? While I'm not familiar with ATK's take on the menu items NSX specifically mentioned its entirely possible it's the owner or chef's regional interpretation/style and simply not to NSX's taste expectation.

As you probably know at the most basic level there are 4 regional regional cuisines in Thailand with many sub genre.

The last time I had pad thai prepared by Andy Aroonrasameruang of ATK he was chef/owner at TAC and was a tasty deconstructed take.

TAC60.jpg Pad Thai TAC circa 2009

TAC61.jpg Pad Thai TAC circa 2009
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #94 - September 7th, 2018, 7:11 am
    Post #94 - September 7th, 2018, 7:11 am Post #94 - September 7th, 2018, 7:11 am
    A good friend of mine was celebrating a milestone birthday yesterday and chose ATK in Lakeview for a quiet celebration with just a couple of friends. I didn't get much of a say in ordering but managed to get a couple of my favorite items, naem khao tod and Isaan sausage. The naem khao tod was a little lighter on rice than usual, but particularly herby, fiery with hot peppers and delicious despite too light a ratio of rice to other ingredients. The sausage was delicious too, with a great sour flavor, though I prefer the sausages at Rainbow and Paula's which both have some nice snap. Moo ping is one of the better versions around.

Interestingly, I also had the Penang curry, and this is something I would rarely order myself because too many restaurants make it too sweet. Not the case at ATK - one of the best versions I've had.
  • Post #95 - September 7th, 2018, 7:42 am
    Post #95 - September 7th, 2018, 7:42 am Post #95 - September 7th, 2018, 7:42 am
    BR wrote:Interestingly, I also had the Penang curry, and this is something I would rarely order myself because too many restaurants make it too sweet. Not the case at ATK - one of the best versions I've had.

I updated my previous post the following day (while consuming the leftovers), to note that the panang was actually indeed quite good - the best of the dishes I ordered.
  • Post #96 - November 28th, 2018, 11:52 am
    Post #96 - November 28th, 2018, 11:52 am Post #96 - November 28th, 2018, 11:52 am
    After a stop at Alamo Shoe's in Andersonville yesterday, the plan was for dinner at Aroy Thai. Found them closed on a Tuesday :cry: , but it all worked out with a great dinner at ATK, Edgewater.

Everything was clean and bright and Som Tum didn't not disappoint with any lack of heat. Our waiter was awesome, extremely helpful and friendly.

We are fans of the Lakeview location, and we loved the Edgewater branch. A great Thai option when we are around Edgewater.
  • Post #97 - November 28th, 2018, 12:17 pm
    Post #97 - November 28th, 2018, 12:17 pm Post #97 - November 28th, 2018, 12:17 pm
    Al Ehrhardt wrote:. . . the plan was for dinner at Aroy Thai. Found them closed on a Tuesday :cry:

One of the great frustrations in life, especially since I always seem to forget it. Glad it worked out for you at ATK.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #98 - December 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
    Post #98 - December 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm Post #98 - December 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
    I'm sorry to report that ATK Edgewater has closed. From their website:

Dear Valued Edgewater Customers:
    ​ATK's Edgewater location will officially CLOSE its doors on Saturday December 15th. It has been a pleasure serving the Edgewater neighborhood and we look forward to serving all customers at our Lakeview location!

Wishing Everyone a Very Magical Holiday Season!
  • Post #99 - April 29th, 2019, 9:25 am
    Post #99 - April 29th, 2019, 9:25 am Post #99 - April 29th, 2019, 9:25 am
    Per Facebook ATK is moving to 950 W Diversey - the old Penny's location.

Says they are opening tomorrow (April 30) in the new location.

Dear our beloved customers...
    We would like to let you know that today is going to be the last day serving here at this location after 7 years of memories and supporting from this neighborhood we will be missing this little cutie place. Thank you everyone for your best support who have been here in the past 7 years. We will be closed tomorrow Apr 29 all day and we will be moving to the new location at 950 W Diversey Parkway and re-open on Tue Apr 30 for dinner. Hopefully to see all of our beloved one there again for the years to come. Thank you very much for your love and supporting us all these times.
    Have a wonderful day everyone!

https://www.facebook.com/AndysThaiKitchen/posts/1227391820743645
  • Post #100 - April 29th, 2019, 9:35 am
    Post #100 - April 29th, 2019, 9:35 am Post #100 - April 29th, 2019, 9:35 am
    JoeChicago wrote:Says they are opening tomorrow (April 30) in the new location.

Just in case anyone is planning to go there tomorrow... I ate there this past Wednesday, and the signs on the door and windows said the move is May 1. Not a big difference, but if you plan on going tomorrow, you might want to call ahead.
  • Post #101 - April 29th, 2019, 9:54 am
    Post #101 - April 29th, 2019, 9:54 am Post #101 - April 29th, 2019, 9:54 am
    Never went to Penny's, at least that I recall. Is the old Penny's Diversey location larger than ATK on Wellington? Just wondering why you would move a successful restaurant?
  • Post #102 - April 29th, 2019, 11:03 am
    Post #102 - April 29th, 2019, 11:03 am Post #102 - April 29th, 2019, 11:03 am
    Al Ehrhardt wrote:Never went to Penny's, at least that I recall. Is the old Penny's Diversey location larger than ATK on Wellington? Just wondering why you would move a successful restaurant?

It's a fair bit bigger, maybe moving away from the hospital is nice, closer to DePaul, and I am almost 100% positive there's more foot traffic in the new location.
  • Post #103 - February 22nd, 2020, 8:54 am
    Post #103 - February 22nd, 2020, 8:54 am Post #103 - February 22nd, 2020, 8:54 am
    First visit to their new location. Larger room, which is clean and bright. Easier to find parking. Very friendly and attentive service.

Great dinner. Beautiful presentations, loved all of the well cooked vegetables, especially some nice additions of raw garnishes for crunch. Not sure I recall a recent Thai dinner with a better variety and quantity of vegetables than last nights.

We ordered the green curry (a bit too sweet for me, but my wife loved it), green curry, and pad kee mao (with wide rice noodles, not the spaghetti on the menu). Nicely crisped tofu. Decent level of heat, without asking. Love to be able to get brown rice.

With the easier parking and more seats, I think it will get into our rotation more frequently than it did at the old location. We had a early dinner, due seeing a play, but when we left shortly before 7pm on a Friday, less than half full.
  • Post #104 - September 6th, 2020, 7:52 pm
    Post #104 - September 6th, 2020, 7:52 pm Post #104 - September 6th, 2020, 7:52 pm
    Had been in Lincoln Park for an errand on Saturday afternoon and a "Taste-for-Thai" food came to both of our tongues at the same time.
    That taste was properly answered
    at Andy's Thai Kitchen bright and sunny location on Diversey.

As we entered The Greeter /Server warmly welcomed us and offered to seat us a table with no one else close by. She reminded us they are CA$H only.
    She also had an analogue menu for us to look at as well as a Q-Code to scan to bring up their on-line menu.
    We ordered a Papaya Salad (one of 3 different iterations that are available)- "Thai Spicy"- and a Crispy Pork belly with .5 Mushrooms and Thai Basil.
    ImageATK = Andy’s Thai Kitchen.... by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    That Stir-Fry dish knocked our socks off!
    Richly, warming with a touch of caramel and a jab of umami the pork-belly was succulently suave-cito!

Certainly one of the best dishes this side of Lockdown, we've eaten.

Oh - and BTW- unless you are a glutton for "spicy-tongue", do not ask for "Thai Spicy" there, unless you really, really like it HOT (which I/we do...generally :shock: )
    Andy- ain't F#ckin'-around....no Sir.
    Also- the dried shrimp in his Papaya Salad gave a nice funkiness to his preparation, and it was very attractively plated- mounded to a conical shape- with some altitude gained from a hidden-hunk of Green Cabbage, planted beneath his Cone-icity!

The leftover Papaya Salad - made for a nice add-on
    element to my matchstick-cut melange of Daikon/Carrot/Cucumber Cambodian pickled slaw I made later that evening for dinner (inspired by a Mark Bittman Cambodian Recipe).
    Andy's Thai Kitchen- will certainly be added to our THAI rotation!
    Last edited by Hombre de Acero on September 7th, 2020, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #105 - September 7th, 2020, 8:28 am
    Post #105 - September 7th, 2020, 8:28 am Post #105 - September 7th, 2020, 8:28 am
    Hombre de Acero wrote:unless you are a gluten for "spicy-tongue"

Does this have something to do with masochists suffering from celiac disease?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more