LTH Home

Subway - Really?

Subway - Really?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - August 9th, 2012, 5:36 pm
    Post #61 - August 9th, 2012, 5:36 pm Post #61 - August 9th, 2012, 5:36 pm
    But there's something about the pickle slices in both places.

I can't really speak of Subway because I've had all of one sub there since their inception: turkey (first on white, then either honey wheat or Italian) with pickles, mayo, shredded lettuce, and cheese. When I grew up a little more I added tomatoes for extra flavah.

I ate my share of McDonalds as a tot, and though I haven't had any since 1999 I still miss those fries and can taste them in my mind. I can still smell those buns, and I remember at a previous job, the prepared bagels we put out for meetings smelled exactly the same and all I wanted was one of those little cheeseburgers. Once in a while I'm almost tempted to return.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write fiction. You can find me—and some stories—on Facebook, Twitter and my website.
  • Post #62 - August 9th, 2012, 5:41 pm
    Post #62 - August 9th, 2012, 5:41 pm Post #62 - August 9th, 2012, 5:41 pm
    Have a McDonald's. You won't lose your LTH cred if you do. They're tasty, cheap, and not particularly unhealthy if you watch what you eat. It's been a couple months since I had any fast food, but McDonalds (and White Castle) is my fast food of choice. ETA: OK, Culver's is my fast food of choice. But of McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's, dare I say, I go for McDonald's. There was a time when Wendy's was my choice, but that was my childhood in the 80s. I don't know what happened, but it's not the same product I remember. And Burger King has always been terrible. Worst fricking hamburger I've ever eaten, no exaggeration. I simply do not understand how people like BK. It's kind of like the White Castle thread with Hammond, except substitute me for Dave, and BK for White Castle.
  • Post #63 - August 9th, 2012, 5:54 pm
    Post #63 - August 9th, 2012, 5:54 pm Post #63 - August 9th, 2012, 5:54 pm
    Binko wrote:They're tasty, cheap, and not particularly unhealthy if you watch what you eat.

I've been watching gyros disappear like gangbusters. Guess I better wait awhile. :lol:
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write fiction. You can find me—and some stories—on Facebook, Twitter and my website.
  • Post #64 - August 10th, 2012, 1:33 pm
    Post #64 - August 10th, 2012, 1:33 pm Post #64 - August 10th, 2012, 1:33 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:I doubt there are many people in this country that don't have some childhood association with a McDonald's meal. McDonald's is beyond food, it's meta-food. It's an association with a past memory, neither good nor bad, it just "is."

I don't. My mother disapproved of McDonald's (oddly, Burger King was fine) so I didn't taste it until adulthood. So I never developed a taste for it.
    As a mattra-fact, Pie Face, you are beginning to look almost human. - Barbara Bennett
  • Post #65 - August 10th, 2012, 4:30 pm
    Post #65 - August 10th, 2012, 4:30 pm Post #65 - August 10th, 2012, 4:30 pm
    While I can count on one hand the number of times I've eaten at Subway over the last year, I have no problem doing so. I do, however, limit myself to two choices when I eat at Subway - the oven roasted chicken or tuna sandwich loaded with plenty of their veggies. Never been disappointed by either of those two options there.

Subway will do in a pinch but it doesn't compare with the fond memories I have of the long-gone Little King Subs on Sheridan Road near the Lake Shore campus of Loyola University. During the early 70s, it was a far better choice for lunch than the cafeteria on campus.
  • Post #66 - August 12th, 2012, 1:40 am
    Post #66 - August 12th, 2012, 1:40 am Post #66 - August 12th, 2012, 1:40 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    seebee wrote:Not scared to admit I dig Subway once in a while. Here's why:
    For 5 bucks, I can go and get a footlong blt with a bunch of veggies, and the ones I go to have a pretty decent hot giardiniera. I can then take it home, and put real turkey on it for a pretty decent club. Other than that, all of their meats are chemical interpretations of food, so, dealbreaker. Their tuna is made with white, greasy, sugar as opposed to mayo -dealbreaker. They use that sugar laden goo in their chemical interpretation of seafood salad, too. The bread doesn't gross me out, but I can tolerate it. When they ask me what kind of bread I want, I always say the exact same thing, "Whatever you grab first, it doesn't matter." Each bread "flavor" is essentially the same white or brown (er.."wheat") loaf with a few different things sprinkled on top before it is put in the oven.

While I certainly am no friend to Subway, their tuna seems to be pretty straightforward:

"TUNA Tuna, regular mayonnaise, water, salt."

"MAYONNAISE, REGULAR Soybean oil, water, whole eggs, egg yolks, vinegar, salt, mustard, lemon
    juice concentrate, spices, dried garlic, dried onions, calcium disodium EDTA."

No sugar to speak of. Perhaps your local Subway has gone "rogue" but it appears that their posted ingredients list seems harmless enough.

Ok, so why then, does it taste like a scoop of tuna ice cream? I mean, you can *taste* how sweet it is, right? A few years ago in fact it seemed to have gotten even more sweet. The bread choice makes no difference, and the store makes no difference. They might as well scoop it onto a cone.

As far as Subway bread goes, I have found the hearty italian to be the most real seeming. At least it toasts well. The freakiest is the "flatbread". It is the Twinkie of breads.
  • Post #67 - August 12th, 2012, 7:01 am
    Post #67 - August 12th, 2012, 7:01 am Post #67 - August 12th, 2012, 7:01 am
    Marco wrote:Ok, so why then, does it taste like a scoop of tuna ice cream? I mean, you can *taste* how sweet it is, right? A few years ago in fact it seemed to have gotten even more sweet. The bread choice makes no difference, and the store makes no difference. They might as well scoop it onto a cone.

Marco, I used to describe it the same way - "tuna ice cream."

I haven't tried one in years and years. Got one a few days ago after reading spinynorman's post. It was worlds different at my local Scrubway now. Not sugary glop at all any more. It was totally edible.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #68 - August 12th, 2012, 7:28 pm
    Post #68 - August 12th, 2012, 7:28 pm Post #68 - August 12th, 2012, 7:28 pm
    I guarantee there is no sugar in the Subway Tuna. In fact, it is pretty darn good. If you search online, you can see it has a pretty big following. Like I said, I eat it at least twice a week, when my nephew brings home leftovers. If you put it on some real rye bread, it makes a pretty good sandwich. I would never touch a "cold cut" from subway, but the "veggie" patties are OK. They used to make salads there, I think they still do. The tuna is probably pretty good in a salad without that sugary mush bread.
  • Post #69 - January 9th, 2019, 3:51 pm
    Post #69 - January 9th, 2019, 3:51 pm Post #69 - January 9th, 2019, 3:51 pm
    Chicago’s first Cousins Subs is pegged to open on Friday in the Loop.

https://chicago.eater.com/2019/1/9/1817 ... -wisconsin
    Hors D'oeuvre: A ham sandwich cut into forty pieces.
    - Jack Benny
  • Post #70 - January 12th, 2019, 12:07 am
    Post #70 - January 12th, 2019, 12:07 am Post #70 - January 12th, 2019, 12:07 am
    Oh wow.
    Cousins has been an advertiser at Milwaukee WAVE indoor soccer games since 1989.
    It really thinks this is the time to penetrate Chicago?
    I have no other comment. :)
    The links you can use, without the fluff, or sales pitch: http://208.84.112.25/~pudgym29/bookmark4.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more