LTH Home

Bannockburn. Lunch. Go.

Bannockburn. Lunch. Go.
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - May 5th, 2017, 4:28 pm
    Post #61 - May 5th, 2017, 4:28 pm Post #61 - May 5th, 2017, 4:28 pm
    Pursuit wrote:Can't imagine Heinen's has anything to worry about. Based the couple of Mariano's I've been in, I wpould never purchase any meat or fish from them. Old, tired looking Product across the board. If that's what they're using for the prepared food, I'd walk away. Heinen's is more expensive, yes, but much higher quality.

I agree, 100 percent. Heinen's is our go-to supermarket, even though the nearest one (in Glenview) is seven miles away and there are plenty of supermarkets within two miles of home. There are so many things we love there. We never would have believed that the fresh fish department of a supermarket could be better than any local specialty fish market, till Heinen's. The meats are absolutely top notch. So are the prepared foods. They also have the usual wide variety of packaged products, some under their house brand, and others which go on sale. There are plenty of bargains along with the consistently high quality. By comparison, Mariano's has... well, your wording, "Old, tired looking Product across the board", hits the nail on the head.

Which one will win out in the marketplace (no pun intended)? There's no point arguing over that, since only time will tell. But Chicago is a big enough city to support multiple chains, and I don't see either going away any time soon. Furthermore, given the steadily increasing business I've observed at Heinen's, "Reports of its death are greatly exaggerated", to paraphrase the quote apocryphally attributed to Mark Twain. :)
  • Post #62 - May 5th, 2017, 5:23 pm
    Post #62 - May 5th, 2017, 5:23 pm Post #62 - May 5th, 2017, 5:23 pm
    Mariano's was bought by Kroger from Roundy's. Expect some changes.
  • Post #63 - May 5th, 2017, 5:30 pm
    Post #63 - May 5th, 2017, 5:30 pm Post #63 - May 5th, 2017, 5:30 pm
    Ram4 wrote:Mariano's was bought by Kroger from Roundy's.

Not exactly. Mariano's is one of the brand names of Roundy's. In December 2015, Kroger acquired Roundy's (although as is commonplace in such things, they sometimes refer to it as a merger rather than an acquisition). Ref. Last July, Bob Mariano, the CEO of Roundy's who launched his namesake brand name, announced his retirement.
    Last edited by nsxtasy on May 5th, 2017, 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #64 - May 5th, 2017, 5:37 pm
    Post #64 - May 5th, 2017, 5:37 pm Post #64 - May 5th, 2017, 5:37 pm
    Thanks nxstasy, that's what I meant to say.

Another Bannockburn lunch option - Jersey Mike's Subs located next to Sportclips in Bannockburn Green. There's also a Rosati's Pizza Pub in that center, and I have to admit, the thin sausage pizza I had was pretty good. But their version of deep dish was a joke. My friend who made me go with him the first time (I had Rosati's years ago - I never liked it), took pizza to go another time and said it was terrible. Eat at your own risk, but if you want a place to sit and watch an afternoon Cubs game or just have another option it's there.
  • Post #65 - June 28th, 2018, 1:54 pm
    Post #65 - June 28th, 2018, 1:54 pm Post #65 - June 28th, 2018, 1:54 pm
    If anyone's up this way, we've been getting spoiled for lunch by:
    Pho House
    1183 S Milwaukee
    Libertyville
    http://www.phohousemenu.com/index.html

It's not the greatest Pho, but certainly not the worst. I'd avoid the meatballs, but everything else has been REALLY good for their pho offerings. Beef broth is damn fine, and a coworker is really into their spicy lemongrass / shrimp paste broth. After three or four tries over the past few months, the officemates and I have decided that out of what we've tried in the recent past, this place's pho is our best lunch option.
    Yu's noodle soups are second, and Yen Yen's chow fun is third.

China Kitchen has kind of fallen out of grace - new mgt.

Yu's Mandarin (Vernon Hills)
    http://www.yusrestaurant.com/

Yen Yen Buffalo Grove (Go here for Chow Fun done right)
    http://www.yenyenbuffalogrove.com/default.aspx
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more