LTH Home

Bannockburn. Lunch. Go.

Bannockburn. Lunch. Go.
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 3
  • Bannockburn. Lunch. Go.

    Post #1 - June 25th, 2012, 1:13 pm
    Post #1 - June 25th, 2012, 1:13 pm Post #1 - June 25th, 2012, 1:13 pm
    I'm essentially right on 94 and Half Day Road two days a week for a long while. Co-workers have mentioned The Dogout on Waukegan, I think San Gabriel Cafe is also within striking distance for a fancy-ish lunch. Other than that, I got nothing. Assume I have an hour. I did jump on 94 and go up to Townline for sushi near the big mall in Vernon Hills. So, I know that the Indian Buffet, and the Thai Buffet on Townline in that mally area are do-able. I just don't really know much around here at all. Anyone got any gems?
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #2 - June 25th, 2012, 2:20 pm
    Post #2 - June 25th, 2012, 2:20 pm Post #2 - June 25th, 2012, 2:20 pm
    If you want a "gem," forget The Dogout. Typical cheap quality fast food. I told the owner it was B.S. that he has Vienna beef signs showing natural casing hot dogs but serves the store bought version with frozen fries. He said that's what the kids prefer and that it was dangerous to serve them natural casing. I reminded him that Michael's, Stash's, Portillo's, Little Louie's, Josh's/Wolfy's, Dear Franks, Cookers, Irving's, U Dawg U, and other local joints all serve natural casing hot dogs. He claims to make his own beef, but I haven't tried it.

    There is a loyal fanbase for Tony's Subs on Waukegan Rd a little south of Bannockburn. I'm not one of them, but they might work for you. They probably have a fan base because there isn't much else around.

    Downtown Deerfield is a little further, especially if you are at 94/22 but if you are going to Vernon Hills, then it's closer. Whole Foods is there, Chipotle (Mexican), Biaggi's (Italian), Tom and Eddie's (Burgers), Italian Kitchen (Italian), Il Forno (Pizza), Rosebud (Italian), Carson's (Ribs, Steak, Burgers), Townhouse (Upscale bar), Trax (Bar food), Rhapsody Cafe (breakfast, lunch), Dear Franks (hot dogs).

    Since you are right at 94, you can easily get on and go south to J. Alexander's (Upscale American) is on Lake-Cook Rd and 94. A little further east on Lake-Cook is DC Sarnies (higher end burgers, sandwiches) next to the Home Depot.
  • Post #3 - June 25th, 2012, 2:29 pm
    Post #3 - June 25th, 2012, 2:29 pm Post #3 - June 25th, 2012, 2:29 pm
    I'll add:
    http://www.wontonexpress.com/ - fully endorsed by the LTH North Lunch Group
    "At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom." George Carlin
  • Post #4 - June 25th, 2012, 2:44 pm
    Post #4 - June 25th, 2012, 2:44 pm Post #4 - June 25th, 2012, 2:44 pm
    A few in Deerfield, that can be worth a stop . . .

    Boston Blackies (not what it used to be but still very good burgers and wings)

    DC Sarnies (good sandwiches, very good tap list)

    Carson's (I avoid the "bbq" but do like the burger and the salads)

    Dear Franks (solid Vienna Beef hot dog joint)

    Cooker's Red Hots (solid Red Hot Chicago hot dog joint)

    =R=

    Boston Blackies
    405 Lake Cook Rd (Lake Cook Plaza)
    Deerfield, IL 60015
    (847) 418-3400

    DC Sarnies
    649 Lake Cook Rd
    Deerfield, IL 60015
    (847) 509-2000

    Carson's Ribs
    200 N Waukegan
    Deerfield IL 60015
    (847) 374-8500

    Dear Franks
    843 Waukegan Rd
    Deerfield, IL 60015
    (847) 945-6666

    Cooker's
    469 Lake Cook Rd (Lake Cook Plaza)
    Deerfield, IL 60015
    (847) 272-7222
    There's a horse loose in a hospital -- JM

    I am not interested in how I would evaluate the Springbank in a blind tasting. Every spirit has its story, and I include it in my evaluation, just as I do with human beings. --Thad Vogler

    I'll be the tastiest pork cutlet bowl ever --Yuri Katsuki

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #5 - June 25th, 2012, 3:23 pm
    Post #5 - June 25th, 2012, 3:23 pm Post #5 - June 25th, 2012, 3:23 pm
    Forgot a couple of those. Thanks Ronnie. And sorry for not listing their info - I'm a bit busy here a the office. Blackie's is meh. Definitely not what it used to be (but I love their cottage fries).
  • Post #6 - June 25th, 2012, 3:33 pm
    Post #6 - June 25th, 2012, 3:33 pm Post #6 - June 25th, 2012, 3:33 pm
    You're striking distance (east on 22) from Highwood, with options like Casa d' Isaac and Maria's Bakery among others.
  • Post #7 - June 25th, 2012, 3:36 pm
    Post #7 - June 25th, 2012, 3:36 pm Post #7 - June 25th, 2012, 3:36 pm
    Ram4 wrote:Forgot a couple of those. Thanks Ronnie. And sorry for not listing their info - I'm a bit busy here a the office. Blackie's is meh. Definitely not what it used to be (but I love their cottage fries).

    I find the burgers at Blackies to be really good and surprisingly consistent, although they've changed just about everything else around them . . . new buns, new slaw, etc. and none of those changes have been for the better. It's a B+ burger, though.

    No worries on the additional info. I'm not sure it's even necessary these days but old habits die hard. :wink:

    =R=
    There's a horse loose in a hospital -- JM

    I am not interested in how I would evaluate the Springbank in a blind tasting. Every spirit has its story, and I include it in my evaluation, just as I do with human beings. --Thad Vogler

    I'll be the tastiest pork cutlet bowl ever --Yuri Katsuki

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #8 - June 25th, 2012, 9:51 pm
    Post #8 - June 25th, 2012, 9:51 pm Post #8 - June 25th, 2012, 9:51 pm
    seebee wrote:I'm essentially right on 94 and Half Day Road two days a week for a long while. Co-workers have mentioned The Dogout on Waukegan, I think San Gabriel Cafe is also within striking distance for a fancy-ish lunch. Other than that, I got nothing. Assume I have an hour. I did jump on 94 and go up to Townline for sushi near the big mall in Vernon Hills. So, I know that the Indian Buffet, and the Thai Buffet on Townline in that mally area are do-able. I just don't really know much around here at all. Anyone got any gems?


    seebee, I work right there @ 94 and half day also. On Lakeside Dr. Maybe we should grab lunch somewhere.
    -jr
  • Post #9 - June 26th, 2012, 6:17 am
    Post #9 - June 26th, 2012, 6:17 am Post #9 - June 26th, 2012, 6:17 am
    Wow. I used to work near Dundee and Sanders in Northbrook. Many of the suggestions I'm already familiar with. I was hoping to broaden the spectrum, but I think it may have diminshed a little. I think my beloved Jimenez and Pita Inn in Wheeling are now out of range. I was thinking I could maybe find some little cheap gem along those lines somewhere round these parts. Guess I'm not in Kansas anymore.

    Justin R - we are neighbors, I'm on Lakeside as well. Supposedly, there are a few spots in this office complex?
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #10 - June 26th, 2012, 9:09 am
    Post #10 - June 26th, 2012, 9:09 am Post #10 - June 26th, 2012, 9:09 am
    I do like Tony's Subs.
    I had them do some sub platters for a college graduation party and they were a monster hit with the college crowd.
    If you are really craving MEAT- you can't go wrong with their launcher- OMG.

    I also like Dear Franks in Deerfield- they have great fries, and will cook them a little darker if you ask (the best way IMHO) dip those in some cheese and you are halfway to (calorie) heaven. In addition to wonderful burgers, they make a "super chicken" sandwich with a grilled breast on pita that is excellent.

    Cookers down at Lake-Cook plaza also has excellent fresh-cut fries.

    I also like Rhapsody in Deerfield for the basics.
    A great BLT, solid salads, soups, etc.

    If you can stand the "shtick" Kevin' s place does good pancakes and sandwiches, etc. and "chocolate milk with sprinkles, just the way you like it"
    I have been underwhelmed by Biaggis and haven't had the guts to try Rosebud after the reviews I've read and heard.

    I've had excellent food down the road at
    Teppan Kegons sushi bar
    and at Szchewan Kingdom (I don't know if they have their liquor liscense back yet...)

    Also excellent sushi in Lk Forest on Waukegan at Sushi Kushi (but I don't know if they are open for lunch)

    And as you mentioned excellent food at San Gabriel cafe- it's one of my favorites- their duck breast in mole is heavenly.
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #11 - June 27th, 2012, 11:55 am
    Post #11 - June 27th, 2012, 11:55 am Post #11 - June 27th, 2012, 11:55 am
    seebee wrote:Wow. I used to work near Dundee and Sanders in Northbrook. Many of the suggestions I'm already familiar with. I was hoping to broaden the spectrum, but I think it may have diminshed a little. I think my beloved Jimenez and Pita Inn in Wheeling are now out of range. I was thinking I could maybe find some little cheap gem along those lines somewhere round these parts. Guess I'm not in Kansas anymore.

    Justin R - we are neighbors, I'm on Lakeside as well. Supposedly, there are a few spots in this office complex?


    There is a place in the office complex just south of Half Day on Lakeside called "The Leaf" which is fairly decent. Trax in Deerfield (next to Rhapsody) has been improving regularly and their specials have been very good lately - I had something called Chicken Capri this Monday that was phenomenal.
    -jr
  • Post #12 - June 27th, 2012, 3:05 pm
    Post #12 - June 27th, 2012, 3:05 pm Post #12 - June 27th, 2012, 3:05 pm
    Tried out Tony's Subs today.
    I ordered a "half" sized roast beef and turkey.
    It was a four inch gonnella piece, with a decent amount of processed turkey and processed roast beef with half of a slice of american cheese, one tomato slice, one pickle round, lettuce, oil & vinegar for 4.67. After the initial bite, I tossed the ersatz turkey aside, and choked the rest down. Bread was good, had that familiar gonnella chew to it. They had the Mr Submarine sandwich board with the photos, so I wasn't expecting too much. Had a big breakfast, so I'm not too disappointed. Don't need to go back tho.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #13 - June 27th, 2012, 3:11 pm
    Post #13 - June 27th, 2012, 3:11 pm Post #13 - June 27th, 2012, 3:11 pm
    seebee wrote:Tried out Tony's Subs today.
    I ordered a "half" sized roast beef and turkey.
    It was a four inch gonnella piece, with a decent amount of processed turkey and processed roast beef with half of a slice of american cheese, one tomato slice, one pickle round, lettuce, oil & vinegar for 4.67. After the initial bite, I tossed the ersatz turkey aside, and choked the rest down. Bread was good, had that familiar gonnella chew to it. They had the Mr Submarine sandwich board with the photos, so I wasn't expecting too much. Had a big breakfast, so I'm not too disappointed. Don't need to go back tho.

    It's probably the closest restaurant to my house (just over the tracks) and I've eaten there once in 10 years. That's all it took to know that I wasn't a fan. :(

    =R=
    There's a horse loose in a hospital -- JM

    I am not interested in how I would evaluate the Springbank in a blind tasting. Every spirit has its story, and I include it in my evaluation, just as I do with human beings. --Thad Vogler

    I'll be the tastiest pork cutlet bowl ever --Yuri Katsuki

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #14 - June 27th, 2012, 5:45 pm
    Post #14 - June 27th, 2012, 5:45 pm Post #14 - June 27th, 2012, 5:45 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    seebee wrote:Tried out Tony's Subs today.
    I ordered a "half" sized roast beef and turkey.
    It was a four inch gonnella piece, with a decent amount of processed turkey and processed roast beef with half of a slice of american cheese, one tomato slice, one pickle round, lettuce, oil & vinegar for 4.67. After the initial bite, I tossed the ersatz turkey aside, and choked the rest down. Bread was good, had that familiar gonnella chew to it. They had the Mr Submarine sandwich board with the photos, so I wasn't expecting too much. Had a big breakfast, so I'm not too disappointed. Don't need to go back tho.

    It's probably the closest restaurant to my house (just over the tracks) and I've eaten there once in 10 years. That's all it took to know that I wasn't a fan. :(

    =R=


    For whatever reason, I don't share the negative opinion of this place. I find the roast beef to be quite tasty. Specifically, I'll grab the whole roast beef and turkey sandwich w/ everything.

    Granted, this is just basic processed lunchmeats, but I find them to be consistent, quick, and pretty good. I don't expect too much when I got there, but it's a nice break from Jimmy John's, Jersey Mike's, or the like (Subway is intolerable). I'll take another sandwich recommendation in that same area if anyone has one.
    -jr
  • Post #15 - June 27th, 2012, 8:28 pm
    Post #15 - June 27th, 2012, 8:28 pm Post #15 - June 27th, 2012, 8:28 pm
    Seebee...check out Wiener Take All in Buffalo Grove for a good dog/fries.


    1117 Weiland Rd
    Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
    847-634-2325




    ---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jak4cp
  • Post #16 - June 27th, 2012, 10:41 pm
    Post #16 - June 27th, 2012, 10:41 pm Post #16 - June 27th, 2012, 10:41 pm
    Justin R wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    seebee wrote:Tried out Tony's Subs today.
    I ordered a "half" sized roast beef and turkey.
    It was a four inch gonnella piece, with a decent amount of processed turkey and processed roast beef with half of a slice of american cheese, one tomato slice, one pickle round, lettuce, oil & vinegar for 4.67. After the initial bite, I tossed the ersatz turkey aside, and choked the rest down. Bread was good, had that familiar gonnella chew to it. They had the Mr Submarine sandwich board with the photos, so I wasn't expecting too much. Had a big breakfast, so I'm not too disappointed. Don't need to go back tho.

    It's probably the closest restaurant to my house (just over the tracks) and I've eaten there once in 10 years. That's all it took to know that I wasn't a fan. :(

    =R=


    For whatever reason, I don't share the negative opinion of this place. I find the roast beef to be quite tasty. Specifically, I'll grab the whole roast beef and turkey sandwich w/ everything.

    Granted, this is just basic processed lunchmeats, but I find them to be consistent, quick, and pretty good. I don't expect too much when I got there, but it's a nice break from Jimmy John's, Jersey Mike's, or the like (Subway is intolerable). I'll take another sandwich recommendation in that same area if anyone has one.

    Different strokes for different folks is the probably only reason...certainly the only one that matters. I'd probably hit Potbelly's before Tony's, though, I haven't been there in years, either. I really wanted to like Tony's because it's independently-owned, looks so promising and is so close to home but I just didn't. As much as cheap deli meats are a guilty pleasure of mine, Tony's didn't quite get there for me.

    =R=
    There's a horse loose in a hospital -- JM

    I am not interested in how I would evaluate the Springbank in a blind tasting. Every spirit has its story, and I include it in my evaluation, just as I do with human beings. --Thad Vogler

    I'll be the tastiest pork cutlet bowl ever --Yuri Katsuki

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #17 - June 29th, 2012, 10:49 am
    Post #17 - June 29th, 2012, 10:49 am Post #17 - June 29th, 2012, 10:49 am
    Dave148 wrote:I'll add:
    http://www.wontonexpress.com/ - fully endorsed by the LTH North Lunch Group


    No kidding?? I'm a few blocks from there. Never would have tried it. Thanks for the tip!
  • Post #18 - June 29th, 2012, 10:53 am
    Post #18 - June 29th, 2012, 10:53 am Post #18 - June 29th, 2012, 10:53 am
    All throw out another nod to Bonta, at Milwaukee and Half Day.

    http://www.bontamarket.com/

    Great sandwiches and soup, super friendly staff.
  • Post #19 - June 29th, 2012, 3:55 pm
    Post #19 - June 29th, 2012, 3:55 pm Post #19 - June 29th, 2012, 3:55 pm
    Justin R wrote:For whatever reason, I don't share the negative opinion of this place. I find the roast beef to be quite tasty. Specifically, I'll grab the whole roast beef and turkey sandwich w/ everything.

    Granted, this is just basic processed lunchmeats, but I find them to be consistent, quick, and pretty good. I don't expect too much when I got there, but it's a nice break from Jimmy John's, Jersey Mike's, or the like (Subway is intolerable). I'll take another sandwich recommendation in that same area if anyone has one.


    Once processed "stuff" is subbed for things like roast beef or turkey, I tap out pretty quickly. I get kinda weirded out by that stuff. I'm not claiming to be holier than thou, either, cuz I eat plenty of processed stuff, (though probably less than many, just something my mama frowned upon and passed on to me) it's just the fake meats that really creep me out. Never really needed a "break" from Jimmy John's, Jersey Mike's and "the like" - that sounds kinda weird to me.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #20 - June 29th, 2012, 4:27 pm
    Post #20 - June 29th, 2012, 4:27 pm Post #20 - June 29th, 2012, 4:27 pm
    OK enough ragging on Tony's...
    sometimes people LIKE baloney and mortadella and salami and ham and cheese all piled up into a giant sandwich called a launcher.
    Call it a guilty pleasure.
    Call it feeding 16 yr old boys
    but I don't think baloney is fake meat..it's real baloney!
    :oops:
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #21 - June 29th, 2012, 4:38 pm
    Post #21 - June 29th, 2012, 4:38 pm Post #21 - June 29th, 2012, 4:38 pm
    I am much less weirded out by baloney and mortadella and salami than the fake turkey and roast beef. Baloney is not pretending to be anything other than what it is. When you take turkey, broth, and jello, mix it with some other 17 syllable goos, then reform it, and call it "turkey" again, that's a deal breaker.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #22 - June 29th, 2012, 5:44 pm
    Post #22 - June 29th, 2012, 5:44 pm Post #22 - June 29th, 2012, 5:44 pm
    seebee wrote:I am much less weirded out by baloney and mortadella and salami than the fake turkey and roast beef. Baloney is not pretending to be anything other than what it is. When you take turkey, broth, and jello, mix it with some other 17 syllable goos, then reform it, and call it "turkey" again, that's a deal breaker.


    I hear ya seebee - I now understand the criticism.
    -jr
  • Post #23 - June 30th, 2012, 4:42 am
    Post #23 - June 30th, 2012, 4:42 am Post #23 - June 30th, 2012, 4:42 am
    seebee wrote:I am much less weirded out by baloney and mortadella and salami than the fake turkey and roast beef. Baloney is not pretending to be anything other than what it is. When you take turkey, broth, and jello, mix it with some other 17 syllable goos, then reform it, and call it "turkey" again, that's a deal breaker.


    Knowing that most sub shops serve processed turkey, why order that? Why not stick to the processed meats that you are ok with, as in the Launcher?

    Are there any sub shops in that area that have non-processed turkey?

    I'm not as skeeved out by processed meats as much as I am by that thinly sliced deli roast beef that bonds back together into a gummy homogenous mass on a sandwich. Arby's, while processed, has better texture and a more toothsome quality.
    "Good stuff, Maynard." Dobie Gillis
  • Post #24 - July 1st, 2012, 4:47 pm
    Post #24 - July 1st, 2012, 4:47 pm Post #24 - July 1st, 2012, 4:47 pm
    Kinda the idealist in me, I guess. I was hoping the rich folks up there would have a real meat sub joint. While I don't get the heebie jeebies from bologna and salami, I rarely eat that stuff. I just don't really care for it. For a great roast beef sandwich in the area, my previous go to was Elegance In Meats. I can't recall what their turkey was like, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, knowing that they usually take pride in their product. So, while it's not a "sub joint," they will definitely make you a roast beef "sub" with real roast beef, (and real mayo -no sugary white glop instead.)
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #25 - July 1st, 2012, 7:13 pm
    Post #25 - July 1st, 2012, 7:13 pm Post #25 - July 1st, 2012, 7:13 pm
    Another spot to consider:
    Caputo Cheese Market
    231 E. Wisconsin Ave.
    Lake Forest, IL 60045
    847-482-0100

    Fully endorsed by the LTH North Lunch Group
    "At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom." George Carlin
  • Post #26 - July 1st, 2012, 8:17 pm
    Post #26 - July 1st, 2012, 8:17 pm Post #26 - July 1st, 2012, 8:17 pm
    seebee wrote:Kinda the idealist in me, I guess. I was hoping the rich folks up there would have a real meat sub joint. While I don't get the heebie jeebies from bologna and salami, I rarely eat that stuff. I just don't really care for it. For a great roast beef sandwich in the area, my previous go to was Elegance In Meats. I can't recall what their turkey was like, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, knowing that they usually take pride in their product. So, while it's not a "sub joint," they will definitely make you a roast beef "sub" with real roast beef, (and real mayo -no sugary white glop instead.)


    Are they using Boar's Head for the beef in the sandwich? If so, that's exactly the kind of deli roast beef I can't stand.
  • Post #27 - July 2nd, 2012, 6:53 am
    Post #27 - July 2nd, 2012, 6:53 am Post #27 - July 2nd, 2012, 6:53 am
    imsscott wrote:I'm not as skeeved out by processed meats as much as I am by that thinly sliced deli roast beef that bonds back together into a gummy homogenous mass on a sandwich. Arby's, while processed, has better texture and a more toothsome quality.


    If this is the case, then we're not comparing apples to apples per se. My ideal roast beef is essentially beef that has been roasted. If you prefer a scientist's interpretation of meat, then the debate is pretty pointless. I'm not sure Elegance In Meats uses Boar's Head product for their sandwiches, but I have seen that brand in their deli case. I only know that the roast beef that they use for their sandwiches is in fact, roast beef. I have eaten roast beef before at home and in restaurants. Arby's does not sell roast beef, and in my opinion, it is definitely not some kind of acceptable substitute. In my heart of hearts, I really have a problem with them being allowed to call their product roast beef. Same way that some sandwich places call their jello loaves "turkey." It simply is NOT turkey. I have had turkey at home and in restaurants. I definitely know what turkey is. I do not believe that things like turkey and roast beef are as open to as much scientific interpretation as others, I guess. Not too big of a deal to me anymore. I wave my "actual meat" flag proudly, but I won't engage ppl about it as much as I used to.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #28 - July 2nd, 2012, 8:18 pm
    Post #28 - July 2nd, 2012, 8:18 pm Post #28 - July 2nd, 2012, 8:18 pm
    imsscott wrote:
    seebee wrote:Kinda the idealist in me, I guess. I was hoping the rich folks up there would have a real meat sub joint. While I don't get the heebie jeebies from bologna and salami, I rarely eat that stuff. I just don't really care for it. For a great roast beef sandwich in the area, my previous go to was Elegance In Meats. I can't recall what their turkey was like, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, knowing that they usually take pride in their product. So, while it's not a "sub joint," they will definitely make you a roast beef "sub" with real roast beef, (and real mayo -no sugary white glop instead.)


    Are they using Boar's Head for the beef in the sandwich? If so, that's exactly the kind of deli roast beef I can't stand.


    I guess the answer to my question is that they aren't using the Boar's Head deli meat. That's good.
    "Good stuff, Maynard." Dobie Gillis
  • Post #29 - July 3rd, 2012, 2:12 pm
    Post #29 - July 3rd, 2012, 2:12 pm Post #29 - July 3rd, 2012, 2:12 pm
    Ferentino's in west Lake Forest, in the same strip mall as Sunset foods, has decent pizza, sandwiches (meatball is my favorite) and salads (excellent Greek Salad). Sushi Kushi in the same complex is open for lunch as is Niku Niku Toyo, owned by the same guy and right across the street. Both have very good food and good deals on lunch specials. All should be doable in under an hour from your location, depending on trains, construction, etc at the 22 and 43 intersection.

    -Will
  • Post #30 - July 20th, 2012, 2:22 pm
    Post #30 - July 20th, 2012, 2:22 pm Post #30 - July 20th, 2012, 2:22 pm
    Finally got to San Gabriel Cafe today. Decent. We all stuck to the lunch specials which were decent. Kind of a cross between Chevy's and Chilis and Lalos. The food was generally inoffensive for all. Nothing really bold. I had to try the salsa sampler, which was completely underwhelming. The salsa de chile de arbol was the best of the lot of four. The verde was flavorless, the pico de gallo was nicely diced tomato, a few flecks of cilantro, and enough jalapeno to make you wonder why they even bothered. There was a yellow salsa which we all assumed was habanero, but it was void of any flavor, but had a sneaky kick. It was just weird. Not bashing the place at all, just tellin you what I thought. I went with the tampiquena lunch special - a piece of skirt, and a chicken enchilada. At 9.25, it was very decent. The enchilada was completely forgettable - not BAD, just not good, but the steak was GREAT. REALLY great. Definitely going back for that. The beans were ranch (I think) style - whole beans in a sauce as opposed to refrieds. They didn't have much flavor going for them, but they were not bad. The rice, however, was a joke. They opted for the old "bag of frozen peas and carrots" as rice add ins - which is about as "we are gonna do the very least we can to put something together with no pride" as possible. The steak made up for everything though. Really. I didn't peruse the regular menu that much to check for how ambitious it was, but I will when I go back.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more