LTH Home

In Search of Soup

In Search of Soup
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • In Search of Soup

- January 7th, 2012, 12:05 pm
    - January 7th, 2012, 12:05 pm Post #1 - January 7th, 2012, 12:05 pm
    ChitownJackson wrote:
    boudreaulicious wrote:What I'd love to find is a really stellar avgolemono--too often it's gloppy or bland--but when it's great, it's one of my favorites. Anyone?

I'm extremely biased, but if you are ever in La Grange, try the avgolemono at Grapevine.

I've had it all over—Greek Isles, Costa's, Pegasus, other local joints—and while they vary from average to very good, Grapevine's is so distinctly different. It's not the customary white but instead bright yellow, creamy, extremely lemony and peppery, with large chunks of chicken mixed in. It is anything but traditional and it's anything but bland.

The owners are Greek (mom and pop in their sixties) and the soup is homemade from her recipe every day. I've tried to get her secret many times but failed. I think it has something to do with adding lemon rinds in the broth. The flavor has not changed even slightly in the 15 years I've been going there. Very consistent.

Grapevine
    9 West Hillgrove Ave.
    La Grange, IL 60525

My hairdresser just moved to a salon about a block away--I've passed the place a couple of times now and figured I'd stop in eventually--thanks for the tip!!!!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more