LTH Home

Lunch near Merchandise Mart?

Lunch near Merchandise Mart?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Lunch near Merchandise Mart?

Post #1 - October 14th, 2011, 11:22 pm
    Post #1 - October 14th, 2011, 11:22 pm Post #1 - October 14th, 2011, 11:22 pm
    Dear all,

I will be hosting two students from UNC-Chapel Hill on the 21st for lunch; for fall break every year or so, journalism/communications/PR students come to town to shadow professionals and see what it would be like to live and work here. This is always an event I look forward to, and I am searching for a decent restaurant to take them to. Before we meet, they will be at a PR firm on the fourth floor of the Merchandise Mart (that is the most exact location I can discern from the firm's website).

Where should we go for lunch?? I have searched the Forum's archive and done a Google LTH search, but nothing recent has been written (as far as I can tell) about good restaurants near there. I'm looking for a spot that would showcase Chicago to them, and that is also conversation-friendly. Also don't want to break the bank on this! I thought about Nick's, but since I don't know if these "kids" will like seafood, would prefer someplace with a broader menu.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Sharon
    "When I'm born I'm a Tar Heel bred, and when I die I'm a Tar Heel dead."
  • Post #2 - October 14th, 2011, 11:28 pm
    Post #2 - October 14th, 2011, 11:28 pm Post #2 - October 14th, 2011, 11:28 pm
    Take 'em to the Lou Malnati's on Wells, kitty-corner from the Mart. Everybody will be very happy, and you won't break the bank.

439 North Wells Street
    Chicago, IL 60610
    Phone: 312.828.9800
  • Post #3 - October 14th, 2011, 11:34 pm
    Post #3 - October 14th, 2011, 11:34 pm Post #3 - October 14th, 2011, 11:34 pm
    If you want to showcase Chicago you could do a lot worse than head out of the Mart onto Wells (east side exit, under the brown line stop) & go two short blocks north to Lou Malnati's for Chicago style pizza.

That strip of Wells has a ton of other lunch options, ranging from Sushi Samba Rio, to Bull & Bear, Kinzie Chop House, Cyrano's Bistro, Pepper Canister etc. etc. Its a question of budget & cuisine preferences. You can also head onto the south side of the river & there's a ton of options there too.
  • Post #4 - October 15th, 2011, 7:44 am
    Post #4 - October 15th, 2011, 7:44 am Post #4 - October 15th, 2011, 7:44 am
    You're pretty close to Xoco, and a little more upscale, Frontera Grill. Best to go to both of these at an off-hour (early or late) to avoid long waits:

http://www.rickbayless.com/restaurants/xoco.html
    "The fork with two prongs is in use in northern Europe. In England, they’re armed with a steel trident, a fork with three prongs. In France we have a fork with four prongs; it’s the height of civilization." Eugene Briffault (1846)
  • Post #5 - October 15th, 2011, 10:49 am
    Post #5 - October 15th, 2011, 10:49 am Post #5 - October 15th, 2011, 10:49 am
    There are other good places nearby, including Coco Pazzo and Naha, as well as the places in the French Market in the train station. But if you want to offer choices that are unique to Chicago and unlike what can be found in other cities, I think Frontera Grill and Lou Malnati's are great options. So is Topolobampo.

You can try calling Frontera for a reservation; they may not have one available, but it wouldn't hurt to check. They only accept a handful of reservations and keep most of the dining room available for walk-in traffic. Otherwise, as noted above, just arrive early or late to avoid a long wait. Another option is Topolobampo, which accepts reservations on Opentable as well as over the phone. (Although Topo is rather expensive for dinner, the lunch prices are surprisingly similar to Frontera's.) And if you go to Malnati's, you can phone ahead with your pizza order so you don't have to wait 30-45 minutes while you're there for it to bake.

Enjoy!
  • Post #6 - October 15th, 2011, 7:11 pm
    Post #6 - October 15th, 2011, 7:11 pm Post #6 - October 15th, 2011, 7:11 pm
    If I were you, based on your criteria, I would take them to Malnati's. If Malnati's explodes or they are allergic to pizza, I would take them to Xoxo. If they don't like either of those...they won't want to live and work here. :)

Love,
    John
    It isn't that I'm not full...
  • Post #7 - October 15th, 2011, 8:40 pm
    Post #7 - October 15th, 2011, 8:40 pm Post #7 - October 15th, 2011, 8:40 pm
    Xoco is a fave of mine but for Friday lunch, you'll likely find it too crowded ... Deep dish doesn't quite strike me as the answer so I'd suggest Sushi Samba Rio which is rather fun for lunch, Mercadito also does well as a nearby lunch spot. I've taken job applicants in the same age range to each for lunch and they've liked them a lot. GT Fish serves lunch tho may be too pricey, Sunda is as close as Xoco and might work too. Le Madia is great for lunch too.
  • Post #8 - October 16th, 2011, 9:07 am
    Post #8 - October 16th, 2011, 9:07 am Post #8 - October 16th, 2011, 9:07 am
    I would agree with Siun--Malnati's might not "impress" and queuing up to order and then sitting facing a wall at Xoco doesn't appear to be what the OP is looking for either. If you wanted to try something different, Roka Akor might be fun (and likely something they won't have experienced...). I haven't been yet but have heard the food is good. They appear to take reservations.

Roka Akor
    312-477-7652
    456 N. Clark Street
    Chicago, IL 60654
    http://rokaakor.com/chicago/
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #9 - October 16th, 2011, 2:39 pm
    Post #9 - October 16th, 2011, 2:39 pm Post #9 - October 16th, 2011, 2:39 pm
    A colleague has eaten at Roka and said it was delicious - dinner looks pricey but lunch may be ok and the room looks nice.
  • Post #10 - October 16th, 2011, 3:03 pm
    Post #10 - October 16th, 2011, 3:03 pm Post #10 - October 16th, 2011, 3:03 pm
    Thank you all for the great suggestions to date! I think one thing I am going to do is try to get the contact information for the students to ascertain what kinds of food they might like. That would help narrow things down! I've also written the person they are meeting with before me (another UNC alum -- we're everywhere!) to find out exactly where in the Merchandise Mart his office is so I can time a reservation better.

Once again, thanks to everyone who has posted thus far; it's been a great help, since I just don't get downtown that often anymore. (And I swore when I moved to the suburbs that I would =not= be the kind of person who never went into the city once they left its borders. Sigh.)

Sharon
    "When I'm born I'm a Tar Heel bred, and when I die I'm a Tar Heel dead."
  • Post #11 - October 17th, 2011, 9:01 am
    Post #11 - October 17th, 2011, 9:01 am Post #11 - October 17th, 2011, 9:01 am
    I used to work in that neighborhood and am definitely missing the lunch options there. There have been some great ideas already. There's also really good traditional sushi at Naniwa, Lebanese as Kan Zaman or Indian buffets at both India House and Klay Oven. Depending how far you want to go, Purple Pig is also a great choice.

You mentioned not finding much when you did a search. You might have better luck searching for River North instead of the Merchandise Mart.
  • Post #12 - September 11th, 2018, 10:03 am
    Post #12 - September 11th, 2018, 10:03 am Post #12 - September 11th, 2018, 10:03 am
    I have to have lunch at the Merch today. Or within the immediate vicinity. What's inexpensive and not fast food that you'd recommend?

Thanks!
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #13 - September 11th, 2018, 10:52 am
    Post #13 - September 11th, 2018, 10:52 am Post #13 - September 11th, 2018, 10:52 am
    Pie Lady wrote:I have to have lunch at the Merch today. Or within the immediate vicinity. What's inexpensive and not fast food that you'd recommend?

Thanks!

You can try the new Wells Street Market Food hall right down the street from Merchandise Mart on the corner of Wacker and Wells.

Wells Street Market
    205 W Wacker Dr
    Chicago, IL 60606
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/wells-street-market-chicago-2

Or if you like BBQ, BlackWood BBQ is very good in the loop and also not far from Merchandise Mart:

Blackwood BBQ
    307 W Lake St
    Chicago, IL 60606
    b/t Wacker Dr & Franklin St
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/blackwood-bbq-chicago
  • Post #14 - September 11th, 2018, 7:07 pm
    Post #14 - September 11th, 2018, 7:07 pm Post #14 - September 11th, 2018, 7:07 pm
    The Budlong Hot Chicken gets my vote.... (biased) 2nd floor right by the top of the escalator...
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://pitbarbq.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #15 - September 11th, 2018, 7:09 pm
    Post #15 - September 11th, 2018, 7:09 pm Post #15 - September 11th, 2018, 7:09 pm
    rubbbqco wrote:The Budlong Hot Chicken gets my vote.... (biased) 2nd floor right by the top of the escalator...

Haha . . . in case it's not entirely clear to any newcomers who might be reading this thread, you're the owner. :lol:

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #16 - September 11th, 2018, 8:35 pm
    Post #16 - September 11th, 2018, 8:35 pm Post #16 - September 11th, 2018, 8:35 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    rubbbqco wrote:The Budlong Hot Chicken gets my vote.... (biased) 2nd floor right by the top of the escalator...

Haha . . . in case it's not entirely clear to any newcomers who might be reading this thread, you're the owner. :lol:

=R=

The Budlong recommendation reminds me of the tagline from the Hair Club For Men commercials from the 80's.
    I'm not just the president..., I'm also a client!"
  • Post #17 - September 12th, 2018, 5:06 pm
    Post #17 - September 12th, 2018, 5:06 pm Post #17 - September 12th, 2018, 5:06 pm
    I love love LOVE GT Fish & Oyster. Three short blocks north of the Mart.
  • Post #18 - September 14th, 2018, 8:25 pm
    Post #18 - September 14th, 2018, 8:25 pm Post #18 - September 14th, 2018, 8:25 pm
    polster wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

The Budlong recommendation reminds me of the tagline from the Hair Club For Men commercials from the 80's.
    I'm not just the president..., I'm also a client!"

100% customer, client, & owner...

I’ve been spending much of my time opening the Denver market lately (The Budlong (food truck), BBQ Supply Denver, & Au Feu), but I am excited to be back in Chicago frequently for the next 6 months... if you haven’t tried Au Feu (Denver), we’re opening a stand at Soldier Field next to our Budlong, and on the club level... it’s 10000% the best (Montreal style) smoked brisket you’ll ever eat in your entire life.. don’t miss this if you go to bears games.. (also pictured - our house smoked turkey club)

I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://pitbarbq.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events