LTH Home

Libertad - modern Latin in Skokie

Libertad - modern Latin in Skokie
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • - May 6th, 2013, 11:14 am
    - May 6th, 2013, 11:14 am Post #31 - May 6th, 2013, 11:14 am
    We returned to Libertad last night as a last-minute reservation. I enjoyed the food, but I feel like it's been dumbed down a bit. We were most specifically not looking for a Cinco de Mayo experience (and that's not what it was), but I recall the menu being more pan-Latin, whereas almost everything last night fit squarely into Mexican Regional.

The amuse was a broccoli-jalapeno cream soup, which was very nice. (Even SueF who eschews green veg liked it).
    Tacos Al Pastor were on special. Very tasty, but I prefer a crisped-grilled version to a saucy-stewed version.
    Poblano was pretty ordinary for a chile relleno, the only elevations being a tempura batter, and goat cheese as the filling. Previous posters described a version with mushrooms and other fillings, but none of that here.
    Pork Belly with kale and beans was delicious (but perhaps a bit small of a serving, even for small plates), nice red sauce on it.
    Barbacoa was a lamb shank with a similar red sauce and a parsnip risotto. Very tender and succulent lamb with the spiciness of the sauce a nice counterpoint.
    Asado was a piece of skirt steak (cut thick) with yucca shoestrings and a chimichurri. This was definitely a hit (and probably the least Mexican dish we had).

As always their cocktails are bright and imaginitive. I had an Asian Pear Mojito with Hum and Squirt (although I think it had more grapefruit pulp than pear).

I don't know if they've dumbed down their menu, or if it's a matter of seasonal ingredients, but this was not as exciting of a menu as when we were there in 2011.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more