LTH Home

Lajiao Asian Bistro & Noodles — Naperville

Lajiao Asian Bistro & Noodles — Naperville
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Lajiao Asian Bistro & Noodles — Naperville

Post #1 - July 4th, 2011, 1:01 pm
    Post #1 - July 4th, 2011, 1:01 pm Post #1 - July 4th, 2011, 1:01 pm
    In another forum jiajia wrote:New restaurant in Naperville!!! Best beef soup noodle! Also 10% off your bill! 3416 S. Route 59 #116 Naperville.

Even before the inevitable snarky replies (quickly deleted) were posted I was hoping to visit Lajiao. Hearing that the original owners of Naperville's Mapo are involved was enough to make a visit a top priority. The relentless shilling (also deleted) only diminished my enthusiasm a little. A few days ago Pigmon and I made the long trip to Naperville. It was worth it.

Lajiao occupies the space that until recently was home to Tang Dynasty (a pretty good restaurant itself). The phone number is the same as Tang's. I don't know if that means anything.

We started with a complimentary plate of pickled vegetables—nicely spiced, on the sweet side.

The current Mapo serves one of the better bowls of niu rou mian so we had to try the parental version at Lajiao.

This beef noodle soup didn't disappoint, especially if you like it on the spicy side. The broth is rich enough to hold up to all those spices and the accompaniments are nicely balanced. Noodles aren't made in house but are entirely adequate (if only they would make their own…). An exemplary bowl.

The beef roll looks the same as Mapo's, with that weird foil-wrapped "chicken leg" presentation. I think this dish would be better split among more diners, as the oiliness of the pancake became a bit much after a couple slices.

We were treated to a couple stuffed buns. I think you can tell at a glance how fresh the ingredients are.

I can't wait to get back to try more of their menu, listing some things you don't often see around here.

Lajiao Asian Bistro & Noodles
    3416 S Route 59
    Naperville IL
    630-355-6688
  • Post #2 - July 4th, 2011, 1:29 pm
    Post #2 - July 4th, 2011, 1:29 pm Post #2 - July 4th, 2011, 1:29 pm
    Rene G,

Thanks for taking one for the team, who will soon follow.

Knowing your high opinion of Mapo, I knew these people were either really good or phoney baloneys. I hope they will settle down knowing there is positive recognition of their restaurant.

Again, thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #3 - August 12th, 2011, 4:02 pm
    Post #3 - August 12th, 2011, 4:02 pm Post #3 - August 12th, 2011, 4:02 pm
    Dragged my husband and mother-in-law there a few weekends ago since I wanted to give it a go. It is almost to Aurora and the distance was the only thing we were thinking of as we walked up to the door. Once we walked in, it was empty. No customers at all. Nobody at the front. We heard somebody in the kitchen, so we chilled for a few minutes before I hollered "HELLO!". My dining companions were having second thoughts when a very enthusiastic lady came out and turned on the lights. Oh yeah, did I mention that the lights were off? :)

Lunch was OK. Nothing particularly special except for the beef noodles and the cabbage. The noodles were store bought, but the broth was excellent. Not too greasy, nicely spiced and plenty of noodles. We mentioned that the beef noodles would be exceptional if the noodles were made in house, and the owner said that this is a special brand of noodles and it was special ordered! *shrug*

But the best bite of the meal was the complimentary pickled cabbage. Firm, crunchy, perfectly sweet-sour. I hate pickles (except for Cathy2's wonderful bread and butter pickles) but loved theirs. The owner was so gracious that she packed up a to-go container for me...
  • Post #4 - April 9th, 2012, 9:26 am
    Post #4 - April 9th, 2012, 9:26 am Post #4 - April 9th, 2012, 9:26 am
    My wife got some type of coupon for Lajiao - $25 off dinner, so we went on Saturday night.

In a strip mall, bad lighting, mediocre atmosphere, but clean and comfortable anyway. Probably 80% asian customers. They had two menus, both in english. One for more 'chinese' dishes and one for the non-asian people - which is the one we got.

We both thought it was great.

Beef Noodle Soup - really rich and flavorful. The waitress said this is what they are known for. I dont care where they got the noodles, it was really good. We were told the owner makes it himself every day.
    Salt and Pepper Tofu - crunchy, salty, a little spicy. very good.
    Sauteed String beans - very good - could have been a tiny bit crunchier, but very tasty
    Dry chili chicken - my wife asked the waiter his favorite item and this was it. It was only on the chinese menu. It was really good - spicy. Not quite crack chicken from Lao Sze Chuan, but pretty darn good, we both thought. A waitress had originally said her favority was something with pork intestine, but my wife couldn't handle that.

Lajiao, Asian Bistro & Noodles
    3416 S. Route 59 #116
    Naperville, IL 60564
    Phone: 630-355-6688

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide