LTH Home

La Chaparrita Taqueria - D. F. style Tacos de Fritangas

La Chaparrita Taqueria - D. F. style Tacos de Fritangas
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 5
  • Post #91 - August 15th, 2013, 7:25 pm
    Post #91 - August 15th, 2013, 7:25 pm Post #91 - August 15th, 2013, 7:25 pm
    d4v3 wrote:Have you been to the trailer/stand that sells Carnitas? I think it is just called Carnitas estilo Michoacán. It is worth a stop.

I fell upon that carnitas stand just last Sunday. I thought his carnitas were pretty good. I could've done without the roving guitarist sidling me while ordering, though!

I think this guy said his stand's usually only open during the weekends.
  • Post #92 - August 17th, 2013, 8:39 am
    Post #92 - August 17th, 2013, 8:39 am Post #92 - August 17th, 2013, 8:39 am
    PIGMON wrote:
    d4v3 wrote:Have you been to the trailer/stand that sells Carnitas? I think it is just called Carnitas estilo Michoacán. It is worth a stop.

I fell upon that carnitas stand just last Sunday. I thought his carnitas were pretty good. I could've done without the roving guitarist sidling me while ordering, though!
    Funny, when I was there, the only other customer was a tatted-up shaved-headed banger sipping cold Buds (the proprietor was just keeping cold for him in the cooler ;-) ) Have you noticed the veritable explosion of Tepache stands this year? Seems like there are two at every intersection (along with coconuts on ice). We should do a Tepachethon of Little Village. We can buy as many different versions of Tepache as we can, then meet up at that park/vacant lot behind the County Jail. That way it will be a shorter trip when they lock us up. Seriously though, there is something poetic about swilling hooch next door to the hoosegow. La Chapparits's Tepache is pretty good, but the aguas stand at Sacramento and 26th does a pretty palatable rendition. Everybody is selling Tepache by the gallon now.
  • Post #93 - August 17th, 2013, 1:32 pm
    Post #93 - August 17th, 2013, 1:32 pm Post #93 - August 17th, 2013, 1:32 pm
    d4v3 wrote:We should do a Tepachethon of Little
    Village. We can buy as many different versions of Tepache as we can,
    then meet up at that park/vacant lot behind the County Jail. That way
    it will be a shorter trip when they lock us up. Seriously though,
    there is something poetic about swilling hooch next door to the
    hoosegow.

I like the tepache-athon concept.

Have you ever come across tepache in a bottle?!
  • Post #94 - October 7th, 2013, 1:03 pm
    Post #94 - October 7th, 2013, 1:03 pm Post #94 - October 7th, 2013, 1:03 pm
    d4v3 wrote:La Chapparits's Tepache is pretty good, but the aguas stand at Sacramento and 26th does a pretty palatable rendition. Everybody is selling Tepache by the gallon now.

Photographic proof:
    2013-09-26 13.34.18.jpg
  • Post #95 - October 23rd, 2013, 8:07 pm
    Post #95 - October 23rd, 2013, 8:07 pm Post #95 - October 23rd, 2013, 8:07 pm
    The lengua taco I had today here was the best I've ever had, anywhere.
    Also had a campechano: good flavor, but a tad dry.
    Pleased that the mango agua fresca was more like a smoothie, with lots of fruit.
    I only regret that I am not in this neighborhood more often.
  • Post #96 - December 15th, 2013, 10:17 pm
    Post #96 - December 15th, 2013, 10:17 pm Post #96 - December 15th, 2013, 10:17 pm
    I introduced my friends to La Chaparrita today. Food was great. As an appetizer, we started with the mushroom huarache which was very good and a tad spicy. We then tried essentially every taco on the menu. The tripe and sweetbreads were definitely a favorite. Nice crisp on the tripe and the sweetbreads were super creamy. Both delicious. I tried brain for the first time and have to say I didn't care for the flavor personally. Couple of friends also tried the Vampiro juice (beet, carrot, celery) which was delicious. Our waitress brought out samples of the salted steak, beef tendon soaked in vinegar, and chorizo. She was very helpful and patient in answering all of our questions. We also shared a plate of the grilled onions which were deliciously sweet. One of my friends also picked up a cute piggy bank and other odds and ends in the store. It was a great visit so worth the trek south.
  • Post #97 - December 15th, 2013, 10:56 pm
    Post #97 - December 15th, 2013, 10:56 pm Post #97 - December 15th, 2013, 10:56 pm
    buttercream wrote:The tripe and sweetbreads were definitely a favorite. Nice crisp on the tripe and the sweetbreads were super creamy. Both delicious.
    FYI,"tripas" are not tripe. They are from the intestine (like chitterlings), not the stomach. Menudo is tripe. Regardless, tripas are delicious. I like the Mexican preparation much better than chitterlings (and LC's tripas are particularly tasty). I have noticed that tripas are appearing more frequently on Chicago area menus.

The traditional method of preparing tripas was very interesting. Originally, a special device fashioned from the plowing disks of a tiller was used. The cooking instrument had two bowl shaped disks, one above the other. The top disk was filled with water and the intestines and the lower disk was filled with charcoal. The intestines were boiled for several hours. The water was then boiled away and the tripas were allowed to fry in their own fat like carnitas. I am sure the cooking process has been modernized so that farm implements are no longer required. I would like to see the processes used to cook tripas now. No doubt different restaurants have their own proprietary modern methods for preparing the intestines, as they do with carnitas and barbacoa.
  • Post #98 - December 17th, 2013, 10:27 am
    Post #98 - December 17th, 2013, 10:27 am Post #98 - December 17th, 2013, 10:27 am
    d4v3 wrote:
    buttercream wrote:The tripe and sweetbreads were definitely a favorite. Nice crisp on the tripe and the sweetbreads were super creamy. Both delicious.
    FYI,"tripas" are not tripe. They are from the intestine (like chitterlings), not the stomach. Menudo is tripe. Regardless, tripas are delicious. I like the Mexican preparation much better than chitterlings (and LC's tripas are particularly tasty). I have noticed that tripas are appearing more frequently on Chicago area menus.

The traditional method of preparing tripas was very interesting. Originally, a special device fashioned from the plowing disks of a tiller was used. The cooking instrument had two bowl shaped disks, one above the other. The top disk was filled with water and the intestines and the lower disk was filled with charcoal. The intestines were boiled for several hours. The water was then boiled away and the tripas were allowed to fry in their own fat like carnitas. I am sure the cooking process has been modernized so that farm implements are no longer required. I would like to see the processes used to cook tripas now. No doubt different restaurants have their own proprietary modern methods for preparing the intestines, as they do with carnitas and barbacoa.

Thanks for the clarification!
  • Post #99 - October 12th, 2014, 10:41 pm
    Post #99 - October 12th, 2014, 10:41 pm Post #99 - October 12th, 2014, 10:41 pm
    2 wonderful things are stirring here:

1. Migas is one of the most deeply satisfying beefy bowls of soup I've ever had- guajillo slicked beef shank, w/chopped onion, dry oregano, and lime served on side w/some fried bread for dunking. A staple of their native Mexico City, they're doing it as a wkend special that will go through the winter. I believe mama is making it in the adjacent space behind them. We had it today and you will want this.

2. A few yrs ago by accident, I ended up here on Dias de los Muertos. Instead of the restaurant as we know it, a few tables were grouped together for a buffet that included some stunning moles. Angelina insisted I partake in that instead, and it etched itself into my memory as wonderful kismet. So it's with great pleasure that I share their invitation to attend this yrs event. Unfortunately, I'll be working out of town but on Saturday Nov 1, they're closing the restaurant to have a full on fiesta starting around 5. Once Santa Muerte is fed, the mariachis will begin and you all can eat. And drink. It would be good form to byob and also, bring some as an offering to the Saint.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #100 - October 26th, 2014, 8:36 am
    Post #100 - October 26th, 2014, 8:36 am Post #100 - October 26th, 2014, 8:36 am
    I visited yesterday (everything just as great as every other time I've been there) and purchased a gallon of said tepache. It mixes with decent tequila (I used Jose Cuervo Tradicional Reposado, which is light and smooth) and lime as well as you'd expect. A recommended cocktail!

1 part tequila
    3-4 parts tepache
    juice of 1/2-1 lime
    ice
  • Post #101 - December 29th, 2014, 2:17 pm
    Post #101 - December 29th, 2014, 2:17 pm Post #101 - December 29th, 2014, 2:17 pm
    Longanitza, crispy tripe, lengua, and salsa verde w/radishes firing on all cylinders. They're closing for vacation Weds thru the 22nd (if you need it sooner than later.)
  • Post #102 - December 30th, 2014, 6:58 pm
    Post #102 - December 30th, 2014, 6:58 pm Post #102 - December 30th, 2014, 6:58 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:Longanitza, crispy tripe, lengua, and salsa verde w/radishes firing on all cylinders. They're closing for vacation Weds thru the 22nd (if you need it sooner than later.)

No snark here - just to confirm they are going to be closed for ~3 weeks? If so well deserved vacation for them.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #103 - December 30th, 2014, 7:08 pm
    Post #103 - December 30th, 2014, 7:08 pm Post #103 - December 30th, 2014, 7:08 pm
    Jose said they were closing tomorrow around 4 or 5 thru 1.22.15
  • Post #104 - May 25th, 2016, 7:42 pm
    Post #104 - May 25th, 2016, 7:42 pm Post #104 - May 25th, 2016, 7:42 pm
    Dec 2014 last post?

Still good as ever. Cesar cranking out tacos perfectos. Bonus - the creamy-ish reddish salsa today. ABSOLUTE FIRE, but tasty as hell. Almost unbearable heat, but loved it. When paying, I asked Cesar what kind of chile was in that salsa, and he laughed, knowing full well it was packing serious heat. "Habanero. Es un poquito caliente, no?"

Still love this joint.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #105 - December 9th, 2016, 8:37 am
    Post #105 - December 9th, 2016, 8:37 am Post #105 - December 9th, 2016, 8:37 am
    In my two latest attempts to hit La Chap, the taqueria has been closed. I realized that both visits were at about the same time, 1:30- 2 on a Thursday. The front door has been open, but kitchen shut down, lights off, and chairs up on tables.

Google says they're open 11AM- 10PM, seven days a week. I also did my best to search around this thread for an answer to this but came up empty handed.
  • Post #106 - December 9th, 2016, 5:48 pm
    Post #106 - December 9th, 2016, 5:48 pm Post #106 - December 9th, 2016, 5:48 pm
    Jefe wrote:In my two latest attempts to hit La Chap, the taqueria has been closed. I realized that both visits were at about the same time, 1:30- 2 on a Thursday. The front door has been open, but kitchen shut down, lights off, and chairs up on tables.

Google says they're open 11AM- 10PM, seven days a week. I also did my best to search around this thread for an answer to this but came up empty handed.

Yelp and this post on LTHForum say that La Chaparrita near 25th is closed on Thursdays.

mtgl wrote:... With La Chaparrita being closed on Thursday, just head west off Kedzie instead of the usual east, and I think you will be duly rewarded.

Taqueria Los Barrilitos
    ~3518 W 25th St
    (North side of 25th St., just east of Drake)

--
    edc
  • Post #107 - February 20th, 2017, 4:40 pm
    Post #107 - February 20th, 2017, 4:40 pm Post #107 - February 20th, 2017, 4:40 pm
    Have a chef buddy in town that I worked w/in Dublin so we've been making the rounds (Homestyle Taste, Aroy...) but he was dying for Mexican. Had a stellar lunch today w/a few new items of note. Tacos de canasta are back and avail by 1/2 or whole dozen. Chicharron prensado (rarely seen around town) stole the show, particularly when liberally doused w/the creamy green salsa. Also some new toppings for the huaraches- flor de calabaza (w/nopales), and huitlacoche. Since it's out of season, I doubt they're fresh, but they were very good anyway. All the greatest hits (tripa dorado, lengua, longaniza, tapache) were excellent as always.
  • Post #108 - February 21st, 2017, 7:49 am
    Post #108 - February 21st, 2017, 7:49 am Post #108 - February 21st, 2017, 7:49 am
    Tacos de canasta are back and avail by 1/2 or whole dozen. Chicharron prensado (rarely seen around town) stole the show, particularly when liberally doused w/the creamy green salsa.

Need it
  • Post #109 - March 5th, 2017, 11:39 am
    Post #109 - March 5th, 2017, 11:39 am Post #109 - March 5th, 2017, 11:39 am
    AlekH wrote:
    Tacos de canasta are back and avail by 1/2 or whole dozen. Chicharron prensado (rarely seen around town) stole the show, particularly when liberally doused w/the creamy green salsa.

Need it

Success, just as delicious as I remembered.

Seemed like everyone in the place was getting an order. If it wasn't an hour away, I'd eat here 3-4 times a week.
  • Post #110 - March 11th, 2017, 5:21 pm
    Post #110 - March 11th, 2017, 5:21 pm Post #110 - March 11th, 2017, 5:21 pm
    Had a few hot and oily tacos de canasta (chicharron prensado, frijole) and a half-dozen other tacos for lunch today that left me sated in the best possible way. Crispy tripas remains an unparallelled and downright magical item. God, I love this place. It's one of the select few that could break any cold streak. It's a tough destination for suburbanite and north-sider like myself but I was grateful that other business brought us to the neighborhood. But really, it isn't that far from Logan, so I need to keep it in mind for more regular visits. Damn!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #111 - May 10th, 2017, 7:34 am
    Post #111 - May 10th, 2017, 7:34 am Post #111 - May 10th, 2017, 7:34 am
    Chaparrita continues, as they say, to fire on all cylinders (or charolas if you prefer). I know this is news to no one, but my last meals here after a few year hiatus have been in a word, perfect.

There are no better tacos in Chicago; at least not that I've had. The suadero, tripa (crispy or soft - I enjoy both), carne asada and cabeza are my favorites. Each is distinct in flavor and texture, and prepared with such care.

I also love the tacos de canasta. Cesar graciously comped a pair to a friend and I as we waited for our monstrous take out order. And some house-made barrel tepache - brilliant - to wash it down. I've had no better amuse anywhere, not at Trotter's, Alinea, or Jean George . These tacos "al vapor" were a gorgeous mix of crisp and melt-in-the mouth tenderness. Paired with the house peanut/arbol (?) salsa, they were perfect. I must admit that the tacos de canasta suffer a bit when taken out. If you want to truly experience their greatness, order in.

We are so friggin' lucky to have this place in Chicago. It might be my favorite restaurant in the U.S.
    "By the fig, the olive..." Surat Al-Teen, Mecca 95:1"
  • Post #112 - May 10th, 2017, 11:25 am
    Post #112 - May 10th, 2017, 11:25 am Post #112 - May 10th, 2017, 11:25 am
    The latest post and an upcoming trip to the neighborhood this coming weekend prompted me to read through this whole thread. I have my order ready: tacos de saudero, carne asada, lengua, al pastor, and an agua fresca.

I disagree slightly with the earlier post concerning the meaning of tripas versus menudo, and Wikipedia backs me up: although tripa does generally refer to cow's stomach, "In Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking countries, the close cognate tripas tends to denote small intestines rather than stomach lining. Dishes of this sort include tacos de tripa—Mexican tacos filled with soft or crunchy fried small intestines." Just a debatable piece of info.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #113 - May 10th, 2017, 1:00 pm
    Post #113 - May 10th, 2017, 1:00 pm Post #113 - May 10th, 2017, 1:00 pm
    Katie wrote:The latest post and an upcoming trip to the neighborhood this coming weekend prompted me to read through this whole thread. I have my order ready: tacos de saudero, carne asada, lengua, al pastor, and an agua fresca.

I disagree slightly with the earlier post concerning the meaning of tripas versus menudo, and Wikipedia backs me up: although tripa does generally refer to cow's stomach, "In Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking countries, the close cognate tripas tends to denote small intestines rather than stomach lining. Dishes of this sort include tacos de tripa—Mexican tacos filled with soft or crunchy fried small intestines." Just a debatable piece of info.

What is served as tripas at Chaparrita is definitely, 100%, small intestine as visible in the charola from which they are plucked before hitting the flattop, if you are ordering them doradito, or the chopping block if ordered suave.

"Suave intestines." This ish never gets boring, man...
    "By the fig, the olive..." Surat Al-Teen, Mecca 95:1"
  • Post #114 - May 10th, 2017, 1:04 pm
    Post #114 - May 10th, 2017, 1:04 pm Post #114 - May 10th, 2017, 1:04 pm
    I have my order ready: tacos de saudero, carne asada, lengua, al pastor

you're gonna wanna go a bit bigger than that 8)
  • Post #115 - May 10th, 2017, 2:17 pm
    Post #115 - May 10th, 2017, 2:17 pm Post #115 - May 10th, 2017, 2:17 pm
    AlekH wrote:
    I have my order ready: tacos de saudero, carne asada, lengua, al pastor

you're gonna wanna go a bit bigger than that 8)

Well, I won't be ordering for a group, just me. Based on experience, I'm not a fan of tripe in any form. Let's not argue about it -- I get that some people like it, I hear dogs like it (not directly from the dogs---I don't have that kind of hearing), but I have tried it, and I have my reasons for my mala actitud with respect to tripe. Just like I have a mala actitud with respect to Brussels sprouts. If you like them, you can have mine.

I've never tried sesos (brains); I'm not opposed, though; could be a good learning experience. The mollejas (corrected spelling and translation:sweetbreads) didn't seem to get any positive comments in this thread. My first choices, however, are the beef options: saudero, asada, lengua.
    Last edited by Katie on May 11th, 2017, 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #116 - May 10th, 2017, 2:37 pm
    Post #116 - May 10th, 2017, 2:37 pm Post #116 - May 10th, 2017, 2:37 pm
    Katie wrote:I disagree slightly with the earlier post concerning the meaning of tripas versus menudo, and Wikipedia backs me up: although tripa does generally refer to cow's stomach, [i]"In Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking countries, the close cognate tripas tends to denote small intestines rather than stomach lining.

Katie,

Agree 100%. I misspoke in my first post and (I'm pretty sure) I corrected myself in a later post. Tripas at La Chaparrita = intestine.

Enjoy your visit to La Chaparrita, its a wonderful place.

Regards,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #117 - May 10th, 2017, 2:39 pm
    Post #117 - May 10th, 2017, 2:39 pm Post #117 - May 10th, 2017, 2:39 pm
    It was a more recent post by someone else that I was referring to, Gary. Anyway, thanks -- I'm looking forward to it!
  • Post #118 - May 10th, 2017, 7:19 pm
    Post #118 - May 10th, 2017, 7:19 pm Post #118 - May 10th, 2017, 7:19 pm
    Katie -
    They use the smaller tortillas here.
    Please consider trying the longaniza, and even though you have your reasons to not try the tripas doradas, I'd suggest you do it anyway. If you don't like either, if we ever meet, I'll refund your money for those two. The tripas doradas here really have a bacon-y-ness to them, and the longaniza is just outstanding. Like a mellow, grown up, chorizo, imo. Sure, we all have our tastes, but there's no way I could go to La C and not get those two tacos.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #119 - May 11th, 2017, 7:24 am
    Post #119 - May 11th, 2017, 7:24 am Post #119 - May 11th, 2017, 7:24 am
    Katie wrote:
    The mojellas (gizzards) didn't seem to get any positive comments in this thread.

FYI Mejellas = Sweetbreads. I enjoyed them quite a bit when I last had them, though I have other favorites that I get more often. I also agree on La Caparrita using the smaller tortillas, so you may need one or two more than normal. Finally, don't forget the knob onions.
  • Post #120 - May 11th, 2017, 10:02 am
    Post #120 - May 11th, 2017, 10:02 am Post #120 - May 11th, 2017, 10:02 am
    seebee wrote:Katie -
    They use the smaller tortillas here.
    Please consider trying the longaniza, and even though you have your reasons to not try the tripas doradas, I'd suggest you do it anyway. If you don't like either, if we ever meet, I'll refund your money for those two. The tripas doradas here really have a bacon-y-ness to them, and the longaniza is just outstanding. Like a mellow, grown up, chorizo, imo. Sure, we all have our tastes, but there's no way I could go to La C and not get those two tacos.

Preach!

I try to come to La Chaparrita at least once every couple months and tend to get an order of the tripa, longaniza, and pastor (along with a side of onions) and an order of the melón agua fresca. It's basically a perfect meal for about $10.

Last edited by Behavioral on May 11th, 2017, 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more