LTH Home

Best Italian Beef

Best Italian Beef
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 28 of 34
  • Post #811 - May 23rd, 2018, 5:42 am
    Post #811 - May 23rd, 2018, 5:42 am Post #811 - May 23rd, 2018, 5:42 am
    Pop’s Beef is celebrating its customers with a presale to their favorite holiday unlike any other with Pop’s National Italian Beef Day on Wednesday, May 23. Beef sandwiches will be available for $3 at all locations during operating hours.

The fun doesn’t stop there – Pop’s Beef will also be celebrating National Italian Beef Day, Sunday, May 27 with $5 beef sandwich and fry.

WHERE: All Pop’s Italian Beef and Sausage
    Locations

https://patch.com/illinois/orlandpark/c ... calendar=1
  • Post #812 - May 23rd, 2018, 11:06 am
    Post #812 - May 23rd, 2018, 11:06 am Post #812 - May 23rd, 2018, 11:06 am
    Artie wrote:
    Pop’s Beef is celebrating its customers with a presale to their favorite holiday unlike any other with Pop’s National Italian Beef Day on Wednesday, May 23. Beef sandwiches will be available for $3 at all locations during operating hours.

The fun doesn’t stop there – Pop’s Beef will also be celebrating National Italian Beef Day, Sunday, May 27 with $5 beef sandwich and fry.

WHERE: All Pop’s Italian Beef and Sausage
    Locations

https://patch.com/illinois/orlandpark/c ... calendar=1

Besides Pop’s...

Portillo’s has been celebrating all this week (5-21 to 5-27). 2 beefs for $10.

Multiple locations
    https://www.portillos.com/rhymetime/

Buona (rumor has it that they started this celebration) will have $3 beefs on Saturday (5-26) all day, no limit. That’s a great deal! Expect lines.

Multiple locations
    https://buona.com/
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #813 - August 27th, 2018, 7:10 am
    Post #813 - August 27th, 2018, 7:10 am Post #813 - August 27th, 2018, 7:10 am
    stevez wrote:I'd skip it and go to Jay's on Naragannset instead. You'll be much happier.

Not the case for me. A friend picked up beeves for a bingewatching session, and I found their combo to be dry -- both beef and sausage, even though soaked with jus; flavorless, missing the expected strong flavors of herbs and garlic; and the giardinera was solely sliced heat-free jalapenos.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #814 - August 27th, 2018, 7:41 am
    Post #814 - August 27th, 2018, 7:41 am Post #814 - August 27th, 2018, 7:41 am
    JoelF wrote:
    stevez wrote:I'd skip it and go to Jay's on Naragannset instead. You'll be much happier.

Not the case for me. A friend picked up beeves for a bingewatching session, and I found their combo to be dry -- both beef and sausage, even though soaked with jus; flavorless, missing the expected strong flavors of herbs and garlic; and the giardinera was solely sliced heat-free jalapenos.

I can now say that I've been to Jay's twice . . . and both of my experiences mirror that of JoelF.
  • Post #815 - August 27th, 2018, 9:31 am
    Post #815 - August 27th, 2018, 9:31 am Post #815 - August 27th, 2018, 9:31 am
    BR wrote:
    JoelF wrote:

I can now say that I've been to Jay's twice . . . and both of my experiences mirror that of JoelF.

Sorry to hear that, gentlemen. I must admit that it's been quite some time since my last Jay's visit. I guess things must have changed.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #816 - August 28th, 2018, 10:36 am
    Post #816 - August 28th, 2018, 10:36 am Post #816 - August 28th, 2018, 10:36 am
    I've been in Detroit all summer and I sure could go for a beef! It's one thing to be on a trip where you want to eat the local food. It's another when you are living elsewhere and then you miss Chicago food. One more week to go. :)
  • Post #817 - August 30th, 2018, 11:12 am
    Post #817 - August 30th, 2018, 11:12 am Post #817 - August 30th, 2018, 11:12 am
    In Chicago proper, the Italian beef is a dying delicacy, at least on the North Side. Younger residents (e.g. hipsters and people from outside Chicago) don't appear to be into Italian beef; they are much more passionate about craft beer, burgers (in a big way), Mediterranean food and tacos.

http://fooditor.com/is-chicagos-classic ... d-species/
  • Post #818 - August 30th, 2018, 2:01 pm
    Post #818 - August 30th, 2018, 2:01 pm Post #818 - August 30th, 2018, 2:01 pm
    No pictures :shock: but I had a tasty combo from old school Italian deli Nottoli after an early afternoon visit to the dentist. Tender beef, flavorful sausage with hint of fennel and heat, crunchy punchy giardiniera, lightly dipped as it was traveling. Also bought a link of hot sopressata and a few cannoli. My dentist is on Harlem and the bride, who is having a few neighbors over tonight, requested the cannoli, she's a fan of Nottoli cannoli.

Dry goods, sandwiches, Italian deli meats, cheese, prepared food, large parking lot and friendly old school service.

Nottoli, Count me a Fan!

Nottoli Italian Foods
    5025 N Harlem Ave
    Chicago, IL 60656
    773-631-0662
    http://www.nottoliitalianfoods.com
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #819 - August 30th, 2018, 3:28 pm
    Post #819 - August 30th, 2018, 3:28 pm Post #819 - August 30th, 2018, 3:28 pm
    ld111134 wrote:In Chicago proper, the Italian beef is a dying delicacy, at least on the North Side. Younger residents (e.g. hipsters and people from outside Chicago) don't appear to be into Italian beef; they are much more passionate about craft beer, burgers (in a big way), Mediterranean food and tacos.

You can get a pretty good beef at Portillo’s. Harwood Heights and on Ontario, Mr Beef on Orleans, Al’s Beef on N Western and Clark.

Even though they are chains... :)

Hard to believe a hotdog stand worth their salt not having beef on the menu?

Maybe not every couple of blocks like it was 40 years ago...

... and the burgers have been awesome lately!
  • Post #820 - August 31st, 2018, 2:33 pm
    Post #820 - August 31st, 2018, 2:33 pm Post #820 - August 31st, 2018, 2:33 pm
    I blame their clueless parents for not raising them on the good stuff, so of course it could be considered a dying delicacy. The truth is, like any other food, there are the great places and way too many mediocre places. Most people I know have had Italian beef at Portillo's or a few local hot dog joints and that's it. They have never had any of the legendary beef joints I've been to which are a bit out of the way. As long as I can get great beef sandwiches for the rest of my life, I don't care what happens after that. And I will say it - Portillo's does do a great beef sandwich when compared to most hot dog joints that don't make their own. And since they are the closest to my area for a beef, it will scratch the itch.
  • Post #821 - August 31st, 2018, 7:05 pm
    Post #821 - August 31st, 2018, 7:05 pm Post #821 - August 31st, 2018, 7:05 pm
    Ram4 wrote:I blame their clueless parents for not raising them on the good stuff, so of course it could be considered a dying delicacy. The truth is, like any other food, there are the great places and way too many mediocre places. Most people I know have had Italian beef at Portillo's or a few local hot dog joints and that's it. They have never had any of the legendary beef joints I've been to which are a bit out of the way. As long as I can get great beef sandwiches for the rest of my life, I don't care what happens after that. And I will say it - Portillo's does do a great beef sandwich when compared to most hot dog joints that don't make their own. And since they are the closest to my area for a beef, it will scratch the itch.

For better or worse, the disappearance of decent Italian beef in the city (or, at least, most of the North Side) is attributable to a larger trend. The city has become infinitely more cosmopolitan over the past 20 years or so. The decline of good beef stands in the city proper is akin to the rapid disappearance of the "Chi-CAW-go" accent. I live along the trendy Milwaukee Avenue corridor; the local Al's franchise closed af.er a couple of years and the Old Town Pop's closed in 6 months...similarly, I rarely, if ever, hear a Chicago accent. Both are artifacts of old time, blue collar ideosyncratic Chicago. Whether this trend is good or not depends on your perspective. I'd gladly trade a neighborhood beef stand as good as Johnnie's for amazing burgers ('member when Moody's Pub's cheeseburger was considered the best in town?), a proliferation of pizza styles, superb friend chicken, easily accessible shawarma, etc. Now I realize that others here will have a different opinions but the trend is undeniable.
  • Post #822 - August 31st, 2018, 7:08 pm
    Post #822 - August 31st, 2018, 7:08 pm Post #822 - August 31st, 2018, 7:08 pm
    Ram4 wrote:I blame their clueless parents for not raising them on the good stuff, so of course it could be considered a dying delicacy. The truth is, like any other food, there are the great places and way too many mediocre places. Most people I know have had Italian beef at Portillo's or a few local hot dog joints and that's it. They have never had any of the legendary beef joints I've been to which are a bit out of the way. As long as I can get great beef sandwiches for the rest of my life, I don't care what happens after that. And I will say it - Portillo's does do a great beef sandwich when compared to most hot dog joints that don't make their own. And since they are the closest to my area for a beef, it will scratch the itch.

For better or worse, the disappearance of decent Italian beef in the city (or, at least, most of the North Side) is attributable to a larger trend. The city has become infinitely more cosmopolitan over the past 20 years or so. The decline of good beef stands in the city proper is akin to the rapid disappearance of the "Chi-CAW-go" accent. I live along the trendy Milwaukee Avenue corridor; the local Al's franchise closed after a couple of years and the Old Town Pop's closed in 6 months...similarly, I rarely, if ever, hear a Chicago accent. Both are artifacts of old time, blue collar ideosyncratic Chicago. Whether this trend is good or not depends on your perspective. I'd gladly trade a neighborhood beef stand as good as Johnnie's for amazing burgers ('member when Moody's Pub's cheeseburger was considered the best in town?), a proliferation of pizza styles, superb friend chicken, easily accessible shawarma, good Memphis-style barbecue, etc. Now I realize that others here will have a different opinions but the trend is undeniable. N.B. The failure of Honey 1's Western Avenue location is also symptomatic of this trend.
  • Post #823 - October 1st, 2018, 6:29 pm
    Post #823 - October 1st, 2018, 6:29 pm Post #823 - October 1st, 2018, 6:29 pm
    I have been to Chickie's a few times since they moved to their new location on Roosevelt Road near Emilio's in Hillside. It is a much bigger place and also has a Drive Thru. Last time I was there Chickie's granddaughter was expediting the food. The Beef was as good as ever with their regular variation on the hot. Also had an excellent "Maxwell Street" Polish available deep fried or grilled (I had the grilled) which was wrapped with the fresh cut fries. They also have Char Grilled Italian sausage which I haven't tried yet. On a previous visit I had what I consider a great Double Cheeseburger. Overall I love this new location, they had a steady flow of customers and parking is so much better than the Wolf Road location.
    4152 Roosevelt Rd, Hillside, IL 60162
    "I drink to make other people more interesting."
    Ernest Hemingway
  • Post #824 - October 2nd, 2018, 5:17 pm
    Post #824 - October 2nd, 2018, 5:17 pm Post #824 - October 2nd, 2018, 5:17 pm
    Marshall K wrote:I have been to Chickie's a few times since they moved to their new location on Roosevelt Road near Emilio's in Hillside. It is a much bigger place and also has a Drive Thru. Last time I was there Chickie's granddaughter was expediting the food. The Beef was as good as ever with their regular variation on the hot. Also had an excellent "Maxwell Street" Polish available deep fried or grilled (I had the grilled) which was wrapped with the fresh cut fries. They also have Char Grilled Italian sausage which I haven't tried yet. On a previous visit I had what I consider a great Double Cheeseburger. Overall I love this new location, they had a steady flow of customers and parking is so much better than the Wolf Road location.
    4152 Roosevelt Rd, Hillside, IL 60162
    Great report, I need to get back to Chickie's. It's been WAY too long and they've always been a top 10 beef for me.
  • Post #825 - October 17th, 2018, 11:31 am
    Post #825 - October 17th, 2018, 11:31 am Post #825 - October 17th, 2018, 11:31 am
    FYI
    Al's Beef is offering 80 cent beef sandwiches tomorrow (10/18).
    https://chicago.suntimes.com/business/a ... -80-cents/
  • Post #826 - February 1st, 2019, 8:32 pm
    Post #826 - February 1st, 2019, 8:32 pm Post #826 - February 1st, 2019, 8:32 pm
    Second time in two weeks I've been to Wolfy's on Peterson, polish with grilled onions plus a natural casing dog and today Italian beef w/giardiniera.
    WolfysPeterson1.jpg Wolfy's Chicago Italian beef dipped w/giardiniera = lunch. Tender, juicy beef, tip-top taste.

Wolfy's on Peterson, Count me a Fan!

Wolfy's
    2734 W Peterson Ave
    Chicago, Illinois 60659
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #827 - February 6th, 2019, 6:53 am
    Post #827 - February 6th, 2019, 6:53 am Post #827 - February 6th, 2019, 6:53 am
    G Wiv wrote:Second time in two weeks I've been to Wolfy's on Peterson, polish with grilled onions plus a natural casing dog and today Italian beef w/giardiniera.
    WolfysPeterson1.jpg

Wolfy's
    2734 W Peterson Ave
    Chicago, Illinois 60659

The "Grumpy" owner of Michael's Beef House in Oak Park told me that he had owned Wolfy's (not sure of time frame). I have never been to Wolfy's but Michael's has a very decent Beef, wonder if it is the same recipe?
    "I drink to make other people more interesting."
    Ernest Hemingway
  • Post #828 - February 6th, 2019, 10:48 am
    Post #828 - February 6th, 2019, 10:48 am Post #828 - February 6th, 2019, 10:48 am
    Marshall K wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:Second time in two weeks I've been to Wolfy's on Peterson, polish with grilled onions plus a natural casing dog and today Italian beef w/giardiniera.
    WolfysPeterson1.jpg

Wolfy's
    2734 W Peterson Ave
    Chicago, Illinois 60659

The "Grumpy" owner of Michael's Beef House in Oak Park told me that he had owned Wolfy's (not sure of time frame). I have never been to Wolfy's but Michael's has a very decent Beef, wonder if it is the same recipe?

I went to high school across the street from Wolfy's and ate there often. Wolfys opened in 1967 and was sold by the Original owner in 1999-2000 or so and I believe still has the same owners.

I like the food at Michaels, the beef and burgers are both very good, the fries are above average and the owner seems to be conscientious about serving a decent product ("grumpy" or not).
  • Post #829 - July 18th, 2019, 3:07 pm
    Post #829 - July 18th, 2019, 3:07 pm Post #829 - July 18th, 2019, 3:07 pm
    Ram4 wrote:Pudgym29 - I have always respected your Italian Beef prowess - I think you may have been to more beef joints than anyone on here, maybe even more than Da Beef. But, I need to clarify your post.

You felt the best of the 8 beef sandwiches was from Phil's Pizza, correct? And if so, how does it rank among your overall best beefs? Were any other beefs worth mentioning as being among the best around?

Hi,

Last night I ended up at Phil's Pizza on 35th Street. The original intention was to get pizza. My friends opted for spaghetti, Italian sausage and mostaccioli. I went with an Italian beef, dipped and sweet.

My friends' food came first. They received plastic forks, but no knives. When a knife was asked for, this caused quite a stir behind the counter. They had no knives for customers. They did offer to cut it and cut it they did: two equal sized pieces. There had been so much discussion up this point, the thought they only managed to cut it in half defied any good judgement. It just seemed pointless to ask again.

My sandwich came a little later. It wasn't dipped. The 50-cent upcharge for sweet peppers only managed a few token pieces of pepper. There was a considerable amount of beef that was not dry and had some flavor. After watching the knife debacle, I decided to eat my sandwich as-is and let it go.

I may be back to Phil's in two weeks, though this time it will be the pizza. Or if I am lucky, maybe not.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #830 - July 19th, 2019, 10:22 am
    Post #830 - July 19th, 2019, 10:22 am Post #830 - July 19th, 2019, 10:22 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:Pudgym29 - I have always respected your Italian Beef prowess - I think you may have been to more beef joints than anyone on here, maybe even more than Da Beef. But, I need to clarify your post.

You felt the best of the 8 beef sandwiches was from Phil's Pizza, correct? And if so, how does it rank among your overall best beefs? Were any other beefs worth mentioning as being among the best around?

Hi,

Last night I ended up at Phil's Pizza on 35th Street. The original intention was to get pizza. My friends opted for spaghetti, Italian sausage and mostaccioli. I went with an Italian beef, dipped and sweet.

My friends' food came first. They received plastic forks, but no knives. When a knife was asked for, this caused quite a stir behind the counter. They had no knives for customers. They did offer to cut it and cut it they did: two equal sized pieces. There had been so much discussion up this point, the thought they only managed to cut it in half defied any good judgement. It just seemed pointless to ask again.

My sandwich came a little later. It wasn't dipped. The 50-cent upcharge for sweet peppers only managed a few token pieces of pepper. There was a considerable amount of beef that was not dry and had some flavor. After watching the knife debacle, I decided to eat my sandwich as-is and let it go.

I may be back to Phil's in two weeks, though this time it will be the pizza. Or if I am lucky, maybe not.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    My brother and I though Phil's Pizza was fair at best. Not worth a return.
  • Post #831 - July 19th, 2019, 8:23 pm
    Post #831 - July 19th, 2019, 8:23 pm Post #831 - July 19th, 2019, 8:23 pm
    Ram4 wrote:My brother and I though Phil's Pizza was fair at best. Not worth a return.

I will helping with a presentation on 'The Wreck of the Steamer Calumet,' at the Chicago Maritime Museum nearby. They like Phil's and likely it will be Phil's for pizza in a few weeks.

I try not to knock people's choices. I often go with the flow. :D

I probably would never have said anything, though this issue with knives just got so weird.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #832 - July 20th, 2019, 9:33 am
    Post #832 - July 20th, 2019, 9:33 am Post #832 - July 20th, 2019, 9:33 am
    I'm not sure why a restaurant that carries plastic utensils wouldn't have knives, maybe they just ran out that day? Even so, would it be that big of a deal to give you a small one from the kitchen? Maybe they were afraid you'd throw it out after your meal instead of returning it.
  • Post #833 - July 20th, 2019, 10:12 am
    Post #833 - July 20th, 2019, 10:12 am Post #833 - July 20th, 2019, 10:12 am
    Uther wrote:I'm not sure why a restaurant that carries plastic utensils wouldn't have knives, maybe they just ran out that day? Even so, would it be that big of a deal to give you a small one from the kitchen? Maybe they were afraid you'd throw it out after your meal instead of returning it.

We think they probably used the knife used for cutting pizza to finally cut the sausage in half. Our request seemed to create quite a stir in the back end.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #834 - July 22nd, 2019, 11:01 am
    Post #834 - July 22nd, 2019, 11:01 am Post #834 - July 22nd, 2019, 11:01 am
    One of my top ten beef joints made a change to their bread in the last year. Mama D's in Lemont switched to Turano from Mazzeo's Bakery in Elmwood Park with a noticeable slip in quality.
  • Post #835 - July 22nd, 2019, 12:00 pm
    Post #835 - July 22nd, 2019, 12:00 pm Post #835 - July 22nd, 2019, 12:00 pm
    Mazzeo's looked closed with windows papered over when I went past on a trip to Nottoli a few months ago. Some time before that Mazzeo bread had disappeared from Caputo's Elmwood Park store. Maybe Mama D's had to change their bread whether they wanted to or not.
  • Post #836 - July 22nd, 2019, 3:15 pm
    Post #836 - July 22nd, 2019, 3:15 pm Post #836 - July 22nd, 2019, 3:15 pm
    ekreider wrote:Mazzeo's looked closed with windows papered over when I went past on a trip to Nottoli a few months ago. Some time before that Mazzeo bread had disappeared from Caputo's Elmwood Park store. Maybe Mama D's had to change their bread whether they wanted to or not.
    I was just thinking that. Too bad they're using Turano.
  • Post #837 - September 12th, 2019, 6:37 pm
    Post #837 - September 12th, 2019, 6:37 pm Post #837 - September 12th, 2019, 6:37 pm
    Well my favorite thread has been pretty quiet the last couple of years. So tonight I am going to Portillo's in Deerfield for a beef. Based on where I live and not wanting to drive further, it will do fine. I have a few joints I'm going to hit in the next month or so. Going to finally try Marco's, Serreli Finer Foods and Mr. D's for their beefs. Since I'll be right by good 'ol Johnnie's it's hard to think I won't be going there.
  • Post #838 - September 13th, 2019, 8:11 am
    Post #838 - September 13th, 2019, 8:11 am Post #838 - September 13th, 2019, 8:11 am
    Many a steak sandwich my first Mr. D's Italian Beef and it was terrific, original Al's #1 Italian Beef and Johnnie's Beef territory.

MrDsBeef1.jpg Half Mr. D's Italian Beef, I already ate the other half.

Mr. D's Italian Beef, count me a Fan!

Mr. D's Shish-Kabobs
    6656 W Diversey Ave
    Chicago, IL 60707
    773-637-0042
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #839 - September 13th, 2019, 8:24 am
    Post #839 - September 13th, 2019, 8:24 am Post #839 - September 13th, 2019, 8:24 am
    Funny this thread was resurrected, just yesterday...

636CDAF5-3F66-4F00-A66E-0E97F6F78D99.jpeg Sorry about the bad crop! File size limitations.

Freddy's Pizza
    1600 S 61st Ave, Cicero

The beef, bread or peppers couldn’t be fresher. Never over cooked. The place couldn’t be busier especially at lunch!

It’s been a long, long time since I’ve had a 10” long Beef without paying extra!

Mild au jus, not too heavily spiced. They always serve a top notch product.

A gelato to finish... :)
  • Post #840 - September 13th, 2019, 8:35 am
    Post #840 - September 13th, 2019, 8:35 am Post #840 - September 13th, 2019, 8:35 am
    Ram4 wrote:Well my favorite thread has been pretty quiet the last couple of years.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/chicago ... ?ref=share

Not quiet over here! 10 posts a day. :)

99EE50C5-FF11-49DA-BFBF-7462FDB9F67F.jpeg

Be sure to answer the membership questions. Thanks!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more