LTH Home

Lillie's Q Urban Barbecue [Pictures]

Lillie's Q Urban Barbecue [Pictures]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - July 1st, 2013, 2:09 pm
    Post #61 - July 1st, 2013, 2:09 pm Post #61 - July 1st, 2013, 2:09 pm
    The pulled pork I had on Friday night at Lillie's sure didn't correspond to the description in that Serious Eats article. It wasn't particularly fatty, smoky or flavorful. Maybe we caught them on an off night, but the tri-tip certainly hit the spot. Frankly, I have yet to taste an outstanding restaurant-made pulled pork sandwich in Chicago, certainly nothing that compares to what I've had in North Carolina, Virginia, the Ozarks--or even on my own balcony.
  • Post #62 - July 1st, 2013, 6:02 pm
    Post #62 - July 1st, 2013, 6:02 pm Post #62 - July 1st, 2013, 6:02 pm
    Kenny from Rogers Park wrote:Maybe we caught them on an off night, but the tri-tip certainly hit the spot. Frankly, I have yet to taste an outstanding restaurant-made pulled pork sandwich in Chicago

This. I've been to Lillie's Q (both locations), and found their pulled pork to be among the very best in Chicago (though not as good as the tri-tip). In the world of Chicago BBQ, however, this is not a particularly meaningful statement. I do still stop in for it, Carolina-style sandwich topped with slaw, for the occasional decadent lunch. But I'm still waiting for a truly standout example of this particular subset of smoked swine.
  • Post #63 - July 22nd, 2013, 8:21 am
    Post #63 - July 22nd, 2013, 8:21 am Post #63 - July 22nd, 2013, 8:21 am
    Went to Lillie's Q on Saturday night and other than a stop at the French Market, this was a first visit for me. We got there around 7:00 pm and there were many folks waiting for a table. Can I say how very much I love the "we'll text you when your table is ready" thing? It makes waiting for a table so much less arduous, especially in a place where the bar is tiny and often not available for lounging. We took a nice little stroll in the neighborhood and then poof -- our table was ready!

Once seated, we immediately ordered up some hush puppies and drinks. The hush puppies were fried nicely but I thought the texture was a little odd. Not unpleasant, just not what i was used to seeing in a hush puppy. Also, I prefer a little more onion in my hush puppies, these essentially tasted strictly of corn meal and I like a bit more zing in them. They got eaten though. We actually didn't care for the sweet sauce that came with them and ended up using them to try out the various bbq sauces on the table with them. My cocktail was delightful. Made with their "moonshine", (white whiskey I think), which in this case had been flavored like an apple pie, mixed with ginger ale and lime -- for some it might be too sweet, but for me it was delectable. Like a liquid apple pie, and had I enough money and time, I could have consumed far too many of them. They were potent enough too.

We got a tasting of three meats and a few sides -- we tried the pulled chicken, the pulled pork and the tri tip. I think the tri tip is the star of the show at Lillie's Q. Perfectly done, just enough smoke and so, so very good. I could come back here again and again just for that. The pulled pork did not move me as much. It was fine but didn't seem to be very fatty or smokey -- definitely well cooked pork, but it left me wishing for another version. The pulled chicken was unique to me -- not shreds, but juicy pieces of thigh -- and they were yummy. I thought they were very smokey and just melted in your mouth.

Sides were mac and cheese, fries, coleslaw and collards. I thought the mac and cheese was a decent version -- cheesy enough and the pasta was perfectly done. The smallish, shoestring fries were great when hot, but in the case of most fries, paled into hard little inedible things when not. They give a you a substantial portion but they didn't hold up as well 10 minutes later. My dining partner enjoyed his coleslaw, which I also thought was nice and tangy but also creamy. I did think the cabbage was a little more stringy than I like -- I tend to like bigger pieces of cabbage. He also liked the greens, which were highlighted by a nice bottle of vinegar sauce they bring with them.

All in all, it was a very nice meal and I would say that the only thing that marred the evening was just how incredibly loud the place was. The service was fine but not particularly attentive; getting water refilled was a bit of a chore. The noise level made conversation pretty difficult -- maybe not to the level of Big Star at full blast, but not that great for a middle age woman with slight hearing issues. Serves me right for going on a Saturday night!

I will definitely go back for that tri-tip though. And the cocktail. And the pulled chicken! It was well worth the money. And while I didn't see the check, I didn't think that the prices seemed that outrageous.
  • Post #64 - November 19th, 2015, 9:37 pm
    Post #64 - November 19th, 2015, 9:37 pm Post #64 - November 19th, 2015, 9:37 pm
    I've been a big fan of Lillie's Q, but I had never tried their fried chicken until I had it at the United Center from LQ Chicken Shack (from Lillie's Q, but also offered at Lillie's Q on North Avenue). This is probably my new favorite fried chicken in the city (based on this one try, and at the United Center), pushing ever so slightly ahead of Analogue. Here are my not-quite-good pics from the United Center.

In any event, a beautifully crisp and wonderfully seasoned crust. Go get some, now!
  • Post #65 - February 3rd, 2016, 8:50 pm
    Post #65 - February 3rd, 2016, 8:50 pm Post #65 - February 3rd, 2016, 8:50 pm
    BR wrote:I've been a big fan of Lillie's Q, but I had never tried their fried chicken until I had it at the United Center from LQ Chicken Shack (from Lillie's Q, but also offered at Lillie's Q on North Avenue). This is probably my new favorite fried chicken in the city (based on this one try, and at the United Center), pushing ever so slightly ahead of Analogue.

In any event, a beautifully crisp and wonderfully seasoned crust. Go get some, now!

Having now had this fried chicken at the United Center and Lillie's Q, a couple of times at each location, I can tell you that while I'm still a big fan of the fried chicken, I prefer Analogue's. My subsequent three experiences did not quite measure up to the first. Still, excellent fried chicken on the bone . . . one of the best versions Chicago has to offer . . . but not quite Analogue.
  • Post #66 - May 12th, 2016, 9:46 am
    Post #66 - May 12th, 2016, 9:46 am Post #66 - May 12th, 2016, 9:46 am
    Pulled pork sandwich last night: the pork itself was excellent; fatty, flavorful, nice texture. Faint hint of what seemed like Chinese five spice (or maybe just cinnamon and clove)? The slaw on the sandwich was a disappointment, however. Mention of vinegar-y flavor in the thread led me to go with it, but it was rather a bland, monochromatic dab of minced cabbage. We enjoyed the collard greens with a dash of the provided pepper vinegar. Green beans were just okay.

One other note: beer selection here is solid; prices are over the top. $7 for a pint of Shiner Bock, $8 for most pints (of which I do recommend the Belgian Single with earl grey), and $9-12 for others. Just a bit too much, I think.
  • Post #67 - May 12th, 2016, 12:59 pm
    Post #67 - May 12th, 2016, 12:59 pm Post #67 - May 12th, 2016, 12:59 pm
    Thanks for the write-up. I agree that their beer prices are high.

Actually, I have always felt they are $1-$2 high. Sometimes felt they were shorter pours than a full pint but haven't been in the past couple months so will need to revisit.
  • Post #68 - May 23rd, 2016, 2:37 pm
    Post #68 - May 23rd, 2016, 2:37 pm Post #68 - May 23rd, 2016, 2:37 pm
    Their "Nashville Hot" chicken sandwich seems now a permanent feature on the menu. I have no idea if it lives up to the ideal of what that is supposed to be, but it's quite tasty. The DH enjoyed his smoked chicken, and we liked both our sides - collards and sweet potato fries. Service was pretty slow, I think that was from the kitchen. Not sure why - we were there pretty early on Sunday evening and they didn't seem crowded. Oh well, the food was good and we'll be back :)
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #69 - January 9th, 2018, 11:40 am
    Post #69 - January 9th, 2018, 11:40 am Post #69 - January 9th, 2018, 11:40 am
    Actually signed in today to find out about Lillie's Q -- without even knowing there was a restaurant. There is an entire row of their sauces at Jewel (the white sauce is what caught my eye, standing out in the wall of red sauces). But I was also interested because my local Starbuck's carries Lillie's Q potato chips (Carolina Dirt BBQ chips are very tasty). So I was wondering what else Lillie's Q made -- and here I find out it's not just a manufacturer, it's actually a local place. I was going to ask if it was worth trying their sauce, but now I'm thinking I need to try their restaurant.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #70 - January 9th, 2018, 11:55 am
    Post #70 - January 9th, 2018, 11:55 am Post #70 - January 9th, 2018, 11:55 am
    Really enjoy their “Gold” and “E.N.C.” sauces, and so much better than anything available on the shelf.

Have not been to the restaurant in a couple years - food was always delicious
  • Post #71 - January 9th, 2018, 12:04 pm
    Post #71 - January 9th, 2018, 12:04 pm Post #71 - January 9th, 2018, 12:04 pm
    In addition to their standalone restaurant, Lillie's Q also has a booth at the French Market.
  • Post #72 - January 9th, 2018, 1:26 pm
    Post #72 - January 9th, 2018, 1:26 pm Post #72 - January 9th, 2018, 1:26 pm
    ... and the addition of LQ Chicken Shack...

http://lilliesq.com/lqchickenshack/

... which I thought was another standalone restaurant.

We had planned to visit when I heard about it during our visit last week but just now learned it was in the North Ave location. Should of ordered some while we were there.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #73 - February 18th, 2019, 9:04 am
    Post #73 - February 18th, 2019, 9:04 am Post #73 - February 18th, 2019, 9:04 am
    Nine-Year-Old Wicker Park Barbecue Lillie’s Q To Temporarily Close Next Week.
    Owner Charlie McKenna teases “a new direction” for the space

https://chicago.eater.com/2019/2/15/182 ... icker-park
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #74 - March 10th, 2020, 12:10 pm
    Post #74 - March 10th, 2020, 12:10 pm Post #74 - March 10th, 2020, 12:10 pm
    After a decade in Bucktown, Lillie’s Q — a neighborhood pioneer that popularized regional styles of barbecue in Chicago — is moving to a new location. Charlie McKenna’s shop will close in April at 1856 W. North Avenue.

https://chicago.eater.com/2020/3/10/211 ... icker-park
  • Post #75 - March 11th, 2020, 4:30 pm
    Post #75 - March 11th, 2020, 4:30 pm Post #75 - March 11th, 2020, 4:30 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    After a decade in Bucktown, Lillie’s Q — a neighborhood pioneer that popularized regional styles of barbecue in Chicago — is moving to a new location. Charlie McKenna’s shop will close in April at 1856 W. North Avenue.

According to a Lillie’s counterperson the new location will be in West Town and should open up within a few days of the current location shutdown on April 5.
  • Post #76 - May 27th, 2020, 7:35 am
    Post #76 - May 27th, 2020, 7:35 am Post #76 - May 27th, 2020, 7:35 am
    scottsol wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:

According to a Lillie’s counterperson the new location will be in West Town and should open up within a few days of the current location shutdown on April 5.

Lillie’s Q Finds New Home Inside West Town Brewery’s Taproom

https://chicago.eater.com/2020/5/26/212 ... rew-yeards

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events