LTH Home

BBQ Supply Co [was Rub's Backcountry Smokehouse Rogers Park]

BBQ Supply Co [was Rub's Backcountry Smokehouse Rogers Park]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 7 of 7 
  • Post #181 - November 8th, 2018, 4:46 pm
    Post #181 - November 8th, 2018, 4:46 pm Post #181 - November 8th, 2018, 4:46 pm
    They announced a Rogers Park location remodel on 10/2, but everything from wall decor to the smokers is up for auction on Tuesday. That'd be one hell of a remodel but I'm guessing there's some bad news for Rogers Park.
  • Post #182 - November 8th, 2018, 5:02 pm
    Post #182 - November 8th, 2018, 5:02 pm Post #182 - November 8th, 2018, 5:02 pm
    They announced a Rogers Park location remodel on 10/2, but everything from wall decor to the smokers is up for auction on Tuesday. That'd be one hell of a remodel but I'm guessing there's some bad news for Rogers Park.

Happy to provide an official update next week .....
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://pitbarbq.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #183 - November 13th, 2018, 12:01 pm
    Post #183 - November 13th, 2018, 12:01 pm Post #183 - November 13th, 2018, 12:01 pm
    rubbbqco wrote:Happy to provide an official update next week .....

"In the Facebook post, Leonard notes that while he 'had a great run at this location,' running the restaurant 'just wasn't sustainable in my absence.'" From BBQ Supply Co. closing original Rogers Park location (Tribune)
  • Post #184 - November 13th, 2018, 1:17 pm
    Post #184 - November 13th, 2018, 1:17 pm Post #184 - November 13th, 2018, 1:17 pm
    Wow this really stinks! My phone is blowing up with texts. It's like a friend died. Does Jared realized how many people he touched with this place? To add insult to injury, ALL of his other projects are open and expanding....what the heck?!?!?!
  • Post #185 - November 13th, 2018, 1:32 pm
    Post #185 - November 13th, 2018, 1:32 pm Post #185 - November 13th, 2018, 1:32 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:
    rubbbqco wrote:Happy to provide an official update next week .....

"In the Facebook post, Leonard notes that while he 'had a great run at this location,' running the restaurant 'just wasn't sustainable in my absence.'" From BBQ Supply Co. closing original Rogers Park location (Tribune)

The perils of (over) expansion?

champs2005 wrote:To add insult to injury, ALL of his other projects are open and expanding....what the heck?!?!?!

Well, not exactly . . .

Budlong Hot Chicken In Lincoln Square Is Closed For Good

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #186 - November 13th, 2018, 2:06 pm
    Post #186 - November 13th, 2018, 2:06 pm Post #186 - November 13th, 2018, 2:06 pm
    It sounds like Budlong will be coming back to Lincoln Square:

https://chicago.eater.com/2018/11/13/18 ... ark-closed
    -Mary
  • Post #187 - November 13th, 2018, 2:09 pm
    Post #187 - November 13th, 2018, 2:09 pm Post #187 - November 13th, 2018, 2:09 pm
    Actually, Budlong in Lincoln Square appears to be reopening in 2019 . . . with an explanation that contradicts the prior explanation for closing in the first place.
  • Post #188 - November 13th, 2018, 3:45 pm
    Post #188 - November 13th, 2018, 3:45 pm Post #188 - November 13th, 2018, 3:45 pm
    I predict all Chicago locations will be gone within a year. Denver wins.
  • Post #189 - November 13th, 2018, 4:11 pm
    Post #189 - November 13th, 2018, 4:11 pm Post #189 - November 13th, 2018, 4:11 pm
    This is a huge bummer. I always mark my one and only pit-to-plate as one of my favorite meal experiences.
  • Post #190 - November 13th, 2018, 9:56 pm
    Post #190 - November 13th, 2018, 9:56 pm Post #190 - November 13th, 2018, 9:56 pm
    champs2005 wrote:Wow this really stinks! My phone is blowing up with texts. It's like a friend died. Does Jared realized how many people he touched with this place? To add insult to injury, ALL of his other projects are open and expanding....what the heck?!?!?!

Thank you for the kind words and support - and that goes to everyone out there who has been to RUB/BACKCOUNTRY/SUPPLY or Budlong.. I am truly grateful to have spent the last decade serving people, it truly is my passion. Here's some personal intel that didn't make the tabloids:

I didn't plan the move to Denver. I love Chicago through and through - born and raised! I am so proud of what we did in W. Rogers Park, and so grateful to all those who worked with me, for me, around me, and those whom I had the privilege of serving. The classes, pit to plate dinners, BBQ adventures.. I was somehow able to make a living while getting a masters and doctorate in food service, BBQ, entrepreneurship, general construction, banking, and a slew of other amazing skills I learned along the way.

When the opportunity to open in a food hall in Denver arose, I thought : "wow, what a great adventure to take my family on - get outside the city in which I have so much going on - to open a small operation in a food hall 1000 miles away".. We landed in Denver a year ago, with a 6 month (home) lease and project timeline to be back in Chicago by spring. The food hall was delayed, i started on other projects there, and my family ended up LOVING the active, safe, mild weathered lifestyle in Denver. My family will always be the most important thing in my life - and they wanted to stay, so we did.

I tried to run BBQ supply from afar, but it just didn't sparkle the same without me. I could have kept it open another year, maybe two - but it was losing its steam and always seemed a step away from disaster - whether it was staffing issues or issues with the very old building we operated in.. it was just tough to run for anyone other than me.. I don't have the midas touch with everything, but with that baby - it all just worked.

There are days I long for owning a single restaurant in 1 city. Working with my man Omar in back, my wife in front, happy smiling faces, etc. I LOVED those days. What a time. But my kids are older now, they need me around more, we have a lot of projects now and I do mostly business planning, creative work, and still enjoy doing the construction when we build a new store. Oddly, with 9 operations in 2 cities, I spend less time on the floor at night and have more time at home than I ever did owning and running just 1 restaurant. I need that. My kids need that.

I'm rambling now, it's been an emotional week here. What I really came here to say is thank you for the support, the criticism (I have always appreciated CC and always strived to grow/learn from it), and the memories. I'll never forget 60645 and the amazing time we had on N. Western Ave.

PS - Lincoln Square is re-opening despite the lack of traffic in the immediate area. I have re-assigned myself and a new guy to run ops for Budlong, and we're tuning up some systems and streamlining a few processes that will allow us to operate that store at the current volume. We're also moving our prep to that store, commissary and catering, which helps with the overhead of the staff/store.

As always LTH, thanks for participating in my restaurant adventures - I enjoy my interactions here, and the amazing perspectives from the food-loving community that you are.
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://pitbarbq.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #191 - November 13th, 2018, 11:54 pm
    Post #191 - November 13th, 2018, 11:54 pm Post #191 - November 13th, 2018, 11:54 pm
    Hi,

You will never regret putting your family first.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more