LTH Home

Culver's

Culver's
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 9
  • Post #151 - July 6th, 2017, 2:07 pm
    Post #151 - July 6th, 2017, 2:07 pm Post #151 - July 6th, 2017, 2:07 pm
    Puckjam wrote:In a nutshell, [Kwik Trip] are family owned and treat their employees very well. Thus, the customer service is extremely good at all locations. The cleanliness is very evident on your visits. They have their own brands of milk, chips, bread, etc...., where they are involved in QC. The coffee is very good and they always have fresh fruit and vegetables available. They are clever also and usually have onions, potatoes, milk, and banana's at very reasonable prices (loss leaders type prices). At the end of the day, they will give you a consistent and friendly product. The kind that makes you return.

Thanks for the background! I can personally vouch for the friendliness and cleanliness on my one visit.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #152 - January 17th, 2018, 8:18 pm
    Post #152 - January 17th, 2018, 8:18 pm Post #152 - January 17th, 2018, 8:18 pm
    Chicago's first Culver's within city limits to open Tuesday in Bronzeville
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/redeye/re ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #153 - January 18th, 2018, 4:14 am
    Post #153 - January 18th, 2018, 4:14 am Post #153 - January 18th, 2018, 4:14 am
    Dave148 wrote:Chicago's first Culver's within city limits to open Tuesday in Bronzeville
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/redeye/re ... story.html

Followed a week later, on the 29th, by the Six Corners location (4939 W. Irving Park).

midas wrote:
    BR wrote:. . . I'm also amazed just how friendly the service is. I'm not sure if this is the case at each location, but they could teach most restaurants about good service.

The service has been that way at every Culver's I've been to. That doesn't mean it's like that everywhere, but all signs point that way.

This has been my experience as well, and I have been to dozens of Culver's since the mid-1990s from the Northwoods of Wisconsin to the Ozarks of Missouri. They're like the Chick-fil-a of the north -- almost suspiciously uniformly impeccible customer service from location to location.

In fact I have speculated that this is why they had erstwhile been so reluctant to open in or near urban cores; they feared they would not be able to find an adequate "small-town friendly" customer service pool amongst us brusque city folk. For quite some time the only Culver's within the borders of a major city was a location or two in Milwaukee and then one in San Antonio. Even now I would bet less than 20 or so of their several hundred franchises are located within the city limits of a major city, though they seem more willing to explore urban markets these days.
  • Post #154 - January 18th, 2018, 7:46 am
    Post #154 - January 18th, 2018, 7:46 am Post #154 - January 18th, 2018, 7:46 am
    Culver's is a common quick dinner choice since it's walking distance from us here in the burbs. Reading through this thread has reminded me I've taken Culver's for granted and I should venture out to try other things on the menu.

I especially like that they allow adults to purchase kids meals without question (at least at our neighborhood location).... and their kids meals are a great bargain meal for adults that include sandwich, fries, drink and a scoop of their frozen custard.
  • Post #155 - January 22nd, 2018, 2:35 pm
    Post #155 - January 22nd, 2018, 2:35 pm Post #155 - January 22nd, 2018, 2:35 pm
    I drove by the new one being built in Lincolnshire on Milwaukee Ave just north of 22. I bet it will be open by March. I still predict it might be going to Deerbrook Mall where Bally's was. I think it would be a good fit for families around there. That's totally my own prediction.
  • Post #156 - January 23rd, 2018, 11:09 am
    Post #156 - January 23rd, 2018, 11:09 am Post #156 - January 23rd, 2018, 11:09 am
    Culver's is good food but they are on my banned list.

I do not understand how such a customer service driven company could have such a deceptive corporate policy. If you are asked what do you want on your burger, you say everything. But everything includes a crappy greenhouse tomato slice that they charge you 25 cents for, but don't even bother to mention it, they just add it to your bill. I've argued with several managers for this sketchy tactic. #%@! Culver's.

/rant off
  • Post #157 - January 23rd, 2018, 11:55 am
    Post #157 - January 23rd, 2018, 11:55 am Post #157 - January 23rd, 2018, 11:55 am
    motu wrote:Culver's is good food but they are on my banned list.

I do not understand how such a customer service driven company could have such a deceptive corporate policy. If you are asked what do you want on your burger, you say everything. But everything includes a crappy greenhouse tomato slice that they charge you 25 cents for, but don't even bother to mention it, they just add it to your bill. I've argued with several managers for this sketchy tactic. #%@! Culver's.

/rant off
    If I had my money back for every time I was charged for a cheeseburger when I ordered a hamburger, I'd be retired. Do you have any idea how many places charge you the same price for a cheeseburger or a hamburger? It's not worth the aggravation if I like the food. And the Culver's situation is better because you can have them not include the tomato and not charge you. Many places will charge the same with or without cheese. Sub places are even worse. They include cheese in the price and will not lower it if you say no cheese. Do you have any idea how many places I'd have to ban like you did?

Lozem gain. I gave up fighting over it decades ago.
  • Post #158 - January 24th, 2018, 12:31 am
    Post #158 - January 24th, 2018, 12:31 am Post #158 - January 24th, 2018, 12:31 am
    But how was the food?
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #159 - February 4th, 2018, 4:17 pm
    Post #159 - February 4th, 2018, 4:17 pm Post #159 - February 4th, 2018, 4:17 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:But how was the food?
    Who are you asking?
  • Post #160 - February 4th, 2018, 10:55 pm
    Post #160 - February 4th, 2018, 10:55 pm Post #160 - February 4th, 2018, 10:55 pm
    Ram4 wrote:
    Panther in the Den wrote:But how was the food?
    Who are you asking?

You. :)
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #161 - February 5th, 2018, 1:46 pm
    Post #161 - February 5th, 2018, 1:46 pm Post #161 - February 5th, 2018, 1:46 pm
    I've always liked Culver's. They had a thick burger that was discontinued I used to get. But I'm happy with my go to double burger, fries extra crispy (they have an extra cripsy button :) ) and the custard is great when I'm in the mood for dessert. The service is very consistent at most locations and the restaurants are clean and comfortable. I still prefer a Steak N Shake double to Culver's, but the whole experience is better at Culver's. Looking forward to the new one in Lincolnshire being the closest yet to my house.
  • Post #162 - July 24th, 2019, 6:47 am
    Post #162 - July 24th, 2019, 6:47 am Post #162 - July 24th, 2019, 6:47 am
    The Wisconsin-based chain, famous for its “butterburgers,” frozen custards, and other fast-food treats, is coming soon to 1819 W. Montrose Avenue

https://chicago.eater.com/2019/7/22/207 ... line-intel
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #163 - July 24th, 2019, 11:19 am
    Post #163 - July 24th, 2019, 11:19 am Post #163 - July 24th, 2019, 11:19 am
    That seems weird that they would charge you extra for a tomato slice, when in their menu it seems to be included in the toppings. Even if it's a more expensive, greenhouse grown tomato they shouldn't advertise it as being part of the standard toppings if there's an extra charge for it.
    Quick question, which is better, In&Out or Culver's? I haven't had I&O in years, but with all the somewhat premium burger joints around Chicago (Culver's, Steak n Shake, Five Guys, etc) I don't miss it, or even think I&O was that special...
  • Post #164 - July 24th, 2019, 3:32 pm
    Post #164 - July 24th, 2019, 3:32 pm Post #164 - July 24th, 2019, 3:32 pm
    Uther wrote:Quick question, which is better, In&Out or Culver's?

I had my first In-N-Out four years ago. It was pretty good. Based on the burger and the process, my guess is that the attraction of In-N-Out is by comparison with the "fast food" burgers from McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's. Those places all use quick cooking techniques so they can give you your burger within a minute or two. In-N-Out takes about ten minutes, so clearly the burgers are prepared to order, and served piping hot (which is not always the case with the fast food places). Thus the raves by comparison.

I could say exactly the same thing about Culver's; the burgers take ten minutes, are served piping hot, prepared to order. Which is better? They're actually quite similar to each other IMHO and I would have a tough time saying one is better than the other. (I don't eat either one on a regular basis, so I'm by no means any kind of expert.)
  • Post #165 - July 25th, 2019, 9:21 am
    Post #165 - July 25th, 2019, 9:21 am Post #165 - July 25th, 2019, 9:21 am
    This is a good answer. I had I&O over 10 yrs ago, in the LA area, and while I think I waited less than 10 minutes (it was very busy at the time, so they were probably cooking burgers even without orders for them) I was impressed with the freshness and quality compared to McDonald's, especially the vegetables. I wasn't that impressed with the taste, better than McD's sure, but not IMO miles better. Then again, it's around the same price as McD's or a little more, so the value is better.
    I agree with you on Culver's, it's a good quality, well-prepared burger, that is typically better than the more common fast food chains.
    I&O and Culver's have drive thru's, I'm not sure how they're able to serve drive thru customers as quick as they do. Certainly they're not waiting 10 minutes for their order every time...
  • Post #166 - July 25th, 2019, 9:42 am
    Post #166 - July 25th, 2019, 9:42 am Post #166 - July 25th, 2019, 9:42 am
    At Culver's drive thru, most times you are given a plastic flipboard with the number on both sides and asked to move into a "waiting slot" that they had designed for. It is not as quick as the big boys, but fresh and hot.
  • Post #167 - July 25th, 2019, 9:49 am
    Post #167 - July 25th, 2019, 9:49 am Post #167 - July 25th, 2019, 9:49 am
    Culvers and IN and Out are very similar. Since there are no In and Outs around here, Culvers is my choice if there is one around.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #168 - July 25th, 2019, 11:35 am
    Post #168 - July 25th, 2019, 11:35 am Post #168 - July 25th, 2019, 11:35 am
    I ordered carryout at Culver's a couple of months ago and they took 45 minutes to get me my order. I'm not sure what the problem was since it wasn't a complicated order. that reminds me that I still have a coupon for a free meal in my wallet.
  • Post #169 - July 25th, 2019, 11:38 am
    Post #169 - July 25th, 2019, 11:38 am Post #169 - July 25th, 2019, 11:38 am
    In N Out is my favorite fast food burger. Culver's is not quite the same stylistically, but it's in the same league as In N Out. I personally prefer In N Out, though. Nothing scratches my fast food burger itch quite like a double-double animal style.
  • Post #170 - July 25th, 2019, 11:47 am
    Post #170 - July 25th, 2019, 11:47 am Post #170 - July 25th, 2019, 11:47 am
    I thoroughly enjoyed one of my favorite double cheeseburgers at the Culver's in Mequon, WI last week, since it was smashed and caramelized exactly the same as the Red Hot Ranch double cheeseburger. I wish all Culver's would use the RHR technique.

CSD
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #171 - July 26th, 2019, 8:21 am
    Post #171 - July 26th, 2019, 8:21 am Post #171 - July 26th, 2019, 8:21 am
    chicagostyledog wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed one of my favorite double cheeseburgers at the Culver's in Mequon, WI last week, since it was smashed and caramelized exactly the same as the Red Hot Ranch double cheeseburger. I wish all Culver's would use the RHR technique.

CSD

Did you happen to know this location did it this way or was it a pleasant surprise?

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #172 - July 26th, 2019, 8:45 am
    Post #172 - July 26th, 2019, 8:45 am Post #172 - July 26th, 2019, 8:45 am
    chicagostyledog wrote:since it was smashed and caramelized exactly the same as the Red Hot Ranch double cheeseburger. I wish all Culver's would use the RHR technique.
    If this is accurate, and I have no doubt in CSD's interpretation of technique, its seemingly a negative for Cluver's which, I would imagine, prefers its outlets to offer the same burger. Its also one of the things that In-N-Out does so well, consistancy, and, unlike McD's burgers, In-N-Out burgers taste good.

Me, I like both Cluver's and In-N-Out, though if presented side by side I'd have a burger and fries at In-N-Out and custard at Cluver's for dessert.

If RHR, Cluver's and In-N-Out were side by side I'd have a double natural casing dog, double cheese burger and fries at RHR and skip the custard. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #173 - July 26th, 2019, 9:34 am
    Post #173 - July 26th, 2019, 9:34 am Post #173 - July 26th, 2019, 9:34 am
    G Wiv wrote:If this is accurate, and I have no doubt in CSD's interpretation of technique, its seemingly a negative for Cluver's which, I would imagine, prefers its outlets to offer the same burger.

They have a pretty rigid QC program so I'm not sure how well they tolerate "going rogue."
  • Post #174 - July 26th, 2019, 10:23 am
    Post #174 - July 26th, 2019, 10:23 am Post #174 - July 26th, 2019, 10:23 am
    I think that was my mistake with I&O before, I didn't get my burger and fries animal-style. I'll be sure to order properly next time I get the chance to try them.

Culver's smashes their burgers on the griddle like SteaknShake; hockey puck of meat, smashed down with a weight on top of a spatula. But I guess they typically don't cook it enough to get a nice Maillard crust on it like RHR. Maybe they're worried about over-cooking or burning it? Which can definitely happen with a thin patty on a hot surface. Still, seems like a missed opportunity. Maybe you can specify you want it 'well-done' and it'll come out with a nice brown crust?

I forgot that Culver's does the plastic flipboard number things for drive-thru as well as inside. Portillo's goes further and actually has people take orders from cars waiting in the drive thru, they'll walk up to your car and radio in your order so by the time you get to the window and pay your food is ready. Because no one wants to wait much longer than 10 minutes in a drive thru. I'm not sure how Jim Bob waited 45 mins for a meal, I would have been flipping out at that point.
  • Post #175 - July 26th, 2019, 3:29 pm
    Post #175 - July 26th, 2019, 3:29 pm Post #175 - July 26th, 2019, 3:29 pm
    Probably said earlier, but Culver's chicken tenders are the highest quality, not like anything I have ever had from a fast food establishment. Particularly a chain fast food restaurant.
  • Post #176 - July 26th, 2019, 4:41 pm
    Post #176 - July 26th, 2019, 4:41 pm Post #176 - July 26th, 2019, 4:41 pm
    Uther wrote:I think that was my mistake with I&O before, I didn't get my burger and fries animal-style. I'll be sure to order properly next time I get the chance to try them.

You don't have to get them animal style, but I do prefer them that way. Every once in awhile when I'm out west, I do just get the standard double-double. When I fell in love with In N Out, it was before I even knew of this "secret menu" stuff like the double double. It's not really a burger that is going to wow you, but I do think it's almost the perfect fast food burger. (It could use a little more edge caramelization, but that's my only criticism of it.)

However, I can't stand their fries. OK, "can't stand" is a bit strong, and their fries are something that, in theory, it seems I should like, but I just don't. I've even tried ordering them "well done" and it doesn't help. You can also get those animal style if you have calories to spare. That makes them somewhat palatable, but I just skip the fries whenever I'm at In N Out.

Other than the food, what amazes me about In N Out is their prices, and how well they treat and pay their employees. How they manage to make money on that model is almost beyond me -- their double double is something like $4, and, from what I've read, the workers start at $13/hr and have reasonable benefits. I've never seen a fast food chain with workers as happy and polite as at In N Out (well, actually, Chick-Fil-A has similarly contented workers.) The folks who work at In N Out seem to legitimately be stoked to be working at In N Out.
  • Post #177 - July 26th, 2019, 9:56 pm
    Post #177 - July 26th, 2019, 9:56 pm Post #177 - July 26th, 2019, 9:56 pm
    If In 'n' Out ever comes to the Chicago or Wisconsin markets, a comparison with Culvers would be a discussion I could get into.

I think it's great that Culvers has drifted, not unlike the glaciers, down from Wisconsin into northern Illinois. We've been lucky to have two near where we live for several years, here in Lake County. The burgers are great, the shake flavor rotation is entertaining, and they offer something else that nobody else except some of the Buffalo Wild Wings locations offer around here: deep-fried cheese curds. Who cares about french fries when there are fried cheese curds on offer?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #178 - July 27th, 2019, 10:19 am
    Post #178 - July 27th, 2019, 10:19 am Post #178 - July 27th, 2019, 10:19 am
    +1 on the fried cheese curds, and I seem to remember some sort of seasoned mayo type dip that goes with them? My arteries don't appreciate it but I hardly listen to them anyway.
    Never had the tenders at Culver's, are they made in house or come frozen? I think you can get some high-quality chicken tenders that are frozen in a bag. Same with onion rings too I think.

I keep hearing that I&O fries are an abomination, I don't remember them being particularly bad except that they tasted like slightly undercooked McDonald's fries? Which come to think of it is actually pretty bad. It seems shocking to me they would have such bad fries because they cut them fresh in-house and, I believe, soak them in water to remove excess starch. But I don't think they twice fry (blanch and then crisp) them which makes all the difference.

I had a friend who traveled a lot for work, every time he was on the west coast he'd stop at an I&O. He said where else could you get a good burger, fries and drink for around $7-8? I told him about BurgerFi (he lived in Glenview) was pretty good and not much more expensive. That was a few years ago and I think Burgerfi on Milwaukee and Lake isn't as good as it used to be and also more expensive...
  • Post #179 - July 27th, 2019, 1:37 pm
    Post #179 - July 27th, 2019, 1:37 pm Post #179 - July 27th, 2019, 1:37 pm
    I & O has a much thinner french fry and they don't use any beef talo or lard.
    No blanching and a little longer cooking time tends to dry them out.
    Instead of a soft pillowy inside it's more like sand. McDonalds frozen fries are better.
    The giant potato cutter in plain view at the front counter normally would be encouraging
    but for me it's a disaster!
    You can't knock success though, I guess the west coast crowd think I & O
    french fries are great.
  • Post #180 - July 27th, 2019, 10:29 pm
    Post #180 - July 27th, 2019, 10:29 pm Post #180 - July 27th, 2019, 10:29 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    chicagostyledog wrote:since it was smashed and caramelized exactly the same as the Red Hot Ranch double cheeseburger. I wish all Culver's would use the RHR technique.
    If this is accurate, and I have no doubt in CSD's interpretation of technique, its seemingly a negative for Culver's which, I would imagine, prefers its outlets to offer the same burger. Its also one of the things that In-N-Out does so well, consistency, and, unlike McD's burgers, In-N-Out burgers taste good.

Me, I like both Culver's and In-N-Out, though if presented side by side I'd have a burger and fries at In-N-Out and custard at Culver's for dessert.

If RHR, Culver's and In-N-Out were side by side I'd have a double natural casing dog, double cheese burger and fries at RHR and skip the custard. :)

This is not the first Culver's I've experienced a burger made RHR style. Last year, I had one at a Culver's in Phoenix.

CSD
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide