LTH Home

Restaurants near Mt. Prospect

Restaurants near Mt. Prospect
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Restaurants near Mt. Prospect

Post #1 - March 20th, 2010, 6:26 pm
    Post #1 - March 20th, 2010, 6:26 pm Post #1 - March 20th, 2010, 6:26 pm
    I'm moving out of the city in search of some elbow room and a little less traffic.

I'd like to get some ideas on places to eat or drink in the Mt. Prospect area....essentially anything not chain.

More upscale places like Wildfish, Burger joints like Paradise Pup, hole in the wall bars like Meirs Tavern maybe a more upscale bar/wine bar? All of these are acceptable driving distances....probably looking at Glenview, Des Plaines, Mt. prospect, Arlington Heights and the like...maybe as far away as Palatine.

Also, any ideas on good food shopping? I know there's a Caputo's fruit market in Des Plaines and a couple Trader Joe's nearby. Any good places for ethnic specialties?
  • Post #2 - March 20th, 2010, 8:05 pm
    Post #2 - March 20th, 2010, 8:05 pm Post #2 - March 20th, 2010, 8:05 pm
    Here are a few ideas.
  • Post #3 - March 20th, 2010, 8:12 pm
    Post #3 - March 20th, 2010, 8:12 pm Post #3 - March 20th, 2010, 8:12 pm
    Chinese in Rolling Meadows

http://www.chefping.com
  • Post #4 - March 21st, 2010, 12:08 am
    Post #4 - March 21st, 2010, 12:08 am Post #4 - March 21st, 2010, 12:08 am
    Hole in the wall bar/restaurant that's been in Mount Prospect for decades: Mrs. P and Me

Provincial Mexican food (excellent moles): Cocina Fuerte (formerly Fuego) on Campbell St. in downtown Arlington Heights
  • Post #5 - March 21st, 2010, 12:44 am
    Post #5 - March 21st, 2010, 12:44 am Post #5 - March 21st, 2010, 12:44 am
    From another thread:

abe_froeman wrote:A little beyond your range, at the corner of Wolf and Kensington Rds in Mount Prospect, is Salerno's- really great casual Italian. Fresh ingredients, they don't skimp on anything and very reasonable prices.

I recommend the pizza, paninis and any of the chicken entrees....oh, and the meat sauce is really good, too....I've never had anything bad there.

Salerno's
    1716 E Kensington Rd
    Mt Prospect, IL 60056-1900
    (847) 699-2822
    http://www.salernoscatering.com/

Another recommendation:

abe_froeman wrote:My favorite breakfast place has become L&L Snack Shop in Des Plaines. I still love Walker Bros. pancakes, but they're so overpriced.

L&L is a little hole-in-the-wall place; I don't know their history, but they've been there for quite awhile, at least 15 years- my boyfriend would frequently go there as a teenager for a cheap breakfast with his friends. We just went last Sunday and for $15, before tip, we got 1 coffee, 1 large apple juice, 1 large milk, a wheatcakes/egg/sausage combo and a French toast/egg/bacon combo. Plus the free ham and extra eggs (more on that later!)

There's several booths and a counter and the people are so friendly. I've only ordered breakfast there (they have sandwiches, salads, soups, etc.) and it seems that no matter what you order, it comes with ham. And this is REAL ham, not from skinny pigs. They brown it a little so it has some nice caramelization going on. Even if you get it with bacon or sausage, they give you a couple pieces of ham. Order ham as the meat, and they just add more.

They're always giving you a little more- combinations that say one egg end up appearing with two. The pancakes are fabulous- they don't have that sour taste that I love at Walker Bros., but they call them "wheatcakes" and I think they're made with wheat flour or something because they're a little heartier than Walker Bros. pancakes. My boyfriend is more of a French toast fan, and from the couple bites I've had of his, it's definitely some of the best French toast I've ever had.

It really is like eating breakfast at Grandma's house. It's an older couple who seem to own it, with the husband at the grill and the wife behind the counter with a younger woman working the tables and counter.

I don't know what time they open, but they close at 2 pm on Sundays- that's the day we always go.

L & L Snack Shop
    (847) 803-6767
    456 E Northwest Hwy
    Des Plaines, IL

Edited on 3/13/09 to add: Funny story- I went there a couple of weeks ago with my boyfriend and my mom. The older lady asked my mom if she'd been there before, and my mom said, "yes, a couple of times with them" [pointing at us]. Then the lady said, referring to my boyfriend, "oh yes, and you've been coming here for a long time! You used to come in here with your friends, those troublemakers!" We laughed- his friends in jr. high/high school were sort of troublemakers, but he swears they were always on their best behavior in there. Couldn't risk being banned! Just funny that she remembered them after all those years!

And our favorite taqueria, at least for tacos, has become the grill at the La Rosita grocery store at Wolf & Camp McDonald. I think most or all of the La Rosita stores have taquerias in them and I think a few years ago the Trib voted them one of the best tacos in the Chicagoland area. They're a little inconsistent- some days they're better than others, but they are always two-handed tacos. Once I started getting them there, I realized how small the tacos are at most other places and I just feel ripped off when I go just about anywhere else. Oh, and I'm not sure you can get elote anywhere else in the 'burbs. At least not too many more places from a guy with a cart.

Carneceria La Rosita
    1902 S Wolf Road
  • Post #6 - March 21st, 2010, 9:33 am
    Post #6 - March 21st, 2010, 9:33 am Post #6 - March 21st, 2010, 9:33 am
    I'll definitely second Salerno's. Really dig on sammiches with their pesto mayo. Officemates are in love with their chicken Parm sammiches. I too, really like their meat sauce. For steak tacos, Las Asadas in Des Plaines is my choice for tops in the area by a wide, wide margin, and wide, wide area. La Rosita has many more meat options, but their steak doesn't even come close to Las Asadas in my book. I'm not sayng La Rosita is bad, but if I wanted steak, there would be no chance of me chosing La Rosita over Las Asadas. I really dig Frankie's for gyros because they char grill the gyros meat after slicing. Some say that is heresy, but I love it. Little America is a standard greek diner on Central a little bit W of 83 on the south side of the road. They roast turkeys in house for all sandwiches, and use real mayo. Nuff said. There is a large-ish fruit market at the other end of the strip-ish mall where the Wal Mart is, and another one on Northwest Highway right off of Des Plaines/River Rd by the Potbelly. Can't think of their names, but they are chains in the Chicagoland area.

If you like steak, go try Las Asadas a few times. I think you'll be happy you're in the area.
    Last edited by seebee on March 21st, 2010, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #7 - March 21st, 2010, 9:35 am
    Post #7 - March 21st, 2010, 9:35 am Post #7 - March 21st, 2010, 9:35 am
    I was in Des Plaines briefly yesterday and stopped into Dotombori, the 3-month-old Japanese restaurant in the former Subway space across the street from the Des Plaines Metra station. I'll try to put together a full report later today, but I was pretty impressed with the Chef's selection sashimi--not super special but lots of fresh fish and excellent pickles presented in a lovely way. With an app, tea and tip, my bill was under $40--a solid value, I think. The menu is extensive, lots to explore.

Dotombori
    1526 Miner St.
    Des Plaines, IL 60016
    847-699-8477
  • Post #8 - March 21st, 2010, 10:44 am
    Post #8 - March 21st, 2010, 10:44 am Post #8 - March 21st, 2010, 10:44 am
    I'm going to ring the bell again for Giacomo's. The address is technically in Des Plaines, but the restaurant is really located in what I consider to be Mt. Prospect on Wolf, just north of Central.

Giacomo's
    740 N. Wolf Road
    Des Plaines, IL
    847-390-7330
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #9 - March 21st, 2010, 11:44 am
    Post #9 - March 21st, 2010, 11:44 am Post #9 - March 21st, 2010, 11:44 am
    Wow...thanks everyone...this is exactly what I was looking for!!!!! And I'm happy to see there's a lot of good places really close to where I'll be living (Wolf and Euclid) including a great Italian place (which I wasn't spotting in my yelp search). I also appreciate the mexican choices...the wife is crying for those!

Any other ideas, keep them coming!
  • Post #10 - March 21st, 2010, 12:53 pm
    Post #10 - March 21st, 2010, 12:53 pm Post #10 - March 21st, 2010, 12:53 pm
    Knowing you'll be near Wolf and Euclid definitely changes things, as it's on the extreme opposite end of MtP from a lot of its eateries, on Elmhurst between Oakton and Dempster -- and happens to be the neighborhood where a few others of us live, including myself, and LAZ.

Another Mexican place I frequent is Monica's, in the shopping center on the southwest corner of Palatine and Milwaukee. Good fresh flavors, try the ceviche tostada.

On Euclid between Wheeling Rd. and Elmhurst (but outside of the Randhurst ex-shopping center) is Emma's, a diner-ish kind of place that has made us happy with everything they do, from burgers to salads to breakfast "nests."

Except for being a hike-and-a-half to get to some of the better eating neighborhoods in Chicago, you're in a pretty good launching spot for eating. There's higher and lower end, and even a couple of Great Neighborhood Restaurants (Chaihanna in Buffalo Grove, and Paradise Pup and a branch of Las Asadas in Des Plaines) a short drive away.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #11 - March 21st, 2010, 8:07 pm
    Post #11 - March 21st, 2010, 8:07 pm Post #11 - March 21st, 2010, 8:07 pm
    If you are at Wolf and Euclid you are fairly close to a lot of stuff in Glenview. I am extremely fond of Periyali and Cafe Lucci, both on Milwaukee near Golf. Just south of those places is a nice international market called Assi. In Mount Prospect itself, I have enjoyed meals at Sakura-- though not very recently-- and don't miss Central Continental bakery and Capannari's ice cream.

Perhaps my favorite thing in the whole area is Mitsuwa in Arlington Heights; I have lunch in their food court whenever possible.
  • Post #12 - March 22nd, 2010, 7:59 am
    Post #12 - March 22nd, 2010, 7:59 am Post #12 - March 22nd, 2010, 7:59 am
    One place we love near you is Kampai floating sushi bar.
    such fun, everything comes by on little boats and you just take what looks good.
    One surprise is the golden shrimp which are in little custard cups buried under a yellow layer topped with a piece of green scallion. three warm, cooked shrimp are hidden inside. Delicious and richly indulgent.
    Another personal fave is a crab salad that is made into boat-style sushi (the kind the do for fish eggs)
    another rich and delicious treat.
    Everything is super fresh and the chefs are very friendly and will make any personal requests that you don't see floating by.

There is a nice variety of cooked and raw for all types of sushi eaters, and the prices are fairly reasonable for sushi.

http://www.kampaisteakandsushi.com/sushibar.html
    Kampai
    2330 S. Elmhurst Road (Oakton and 83)
    Mount Prospect
    847-640-6700
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #13 - March 23rd, 2010, 1:04 pm
    Post #13 - March 23rd, 2010, 1:04 pm Post #13 - March 23rd, 2010, 1:04 pm
    I'll recommend Bapi Ristorante - the owner/chef Christiano does a great job. The fish, veal and pasta I've had here have all been fantastic. I believe that during the week pasta entrees are 50% off - try the rigatoni with crumbled Italian sausage and peas in a tomato-cream sauce. The place isn't much to look at (it's tucked away in a non-descript strip-mall) but the food is tasty, the wine list is reasonably priced, and the prices are great especially for mid-week dining.
    Bapi
    1510 East Hintz Road
    Arlington Hts, IL 60004-2209
    (847) 253-2333
  • Post #14 - November 27th, 2013, 3:39 pm
    Post #14 - November 27th, 2013, 3:39 pm Post #14 - November 27th, 2013, 3:39 pm
    irisarbor wrote:One place we love near you is Kampai floating sushi bar.
    http://www.kampaisteakandsushi.com/sushibar.html
    Kampai
    2330 S. Elmhurst Road (Oakton and 83)
    Mount Prospect
    847-640-6700

According to the Mount Prospect Journal, the owner of Kampai has just sold it to his 15-year chef, Inseok Suh.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #15 - October 12th, 2015, 2:02 pm
    Post #15 - October 12th, 2015, 2:02 pm Post #15 - October 12th, 2015, 2:02 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:Hole in the wall bar/restaurant that's been in Mount Prospect for decades: Mrs. P and Me

co-worker mentioned that Mrs P & Me has $5 burger Mondays, heading there this evening, I'll report back.
    (new website URL: http://mrs-pandme.com/ )
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #16 - October 12th, 2015, 4:44 pm
    Post #16 - October 12th, 2015, 4:44 pm Post #16 - October 12th, 2015, 4:44 pm
    We were just at Mrs. P and Me the other night for a light dinner.
    Completely unimpressed by their French Onion Soup (plenty of cheese, but onions were far from caramelized and no depth to the broth), but a good Steak salad was pretty good, though.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #17 - October 13th, 2015, 8:06 am
    Post #17 - October 13th, 2015, 8:06 am Post #17 - October 13th, 2015, 8:06 am
    for sure a good $5 burger at Mrs P's & Me. Cooked to a perfect medium rare, good flavor, drafts $3. Not a go out of your way place but if in area & looking for a good pub style burger, this will fit the bill.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #18 - April 11th, 2018, 9:10 am
    Post #18 - April 11th, 2018, 9:10 am Post #18 - April 11th, 2018, 9:10 am
    I'm working in Mt P a few times per month now. Used to work here daily several years ago. Some of the same places are still around that we used to frequent for lunch:

Frankie's
    Giacomo's
    Little Villa
    Salerno's
    Las Asada's (I've heard it's gone WAY down hill. Anyone been to this branch lately?)
    ==

Checking on any new lunchy spots. We're on Wolf and Central. We've been loving on:
    Emerson's for burgers - really decent.
    Jd's Brew and Que - really decent
    Boston Fish Mkt - Holy Hot Damn do I love that place.
    Ming Hin YASSSS!

Katie's Kitchen - Landmines on the menu, but decent diner, only been once so far.
    Not yet tried: Andrew's Open Pit.

We have a few picky eaters - no seafood. When they don't show up, we don't even discuss lunch, it's Boston Fish fo sho! Indian is a hard sell as well (grrrr.)

Pretty familiar with the old stalwarts - Mr A's, L&L, Paradise Pup, Rand Red Hots. Just wonderin if anyone has some good lunch spots - casual dining done decently?
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #19 - April 11th, 2018, 9:29 am
    Post #19 - April 11th, 2018, 9:29 am Post #19 - April 11th, 2018, 9:29 am
    seebee wrote:Not yet tried: Andrew's Open Pit.

I dig Andrew's, unprepossessing strip mall entrance, slightly upscale diner feel with a big bar, large dining room and a wood fired Southern Pride rotisserie cooker spinning crisp, juicy and pretty damn good chickens. Prices are very reasonable, bar menu during lunch/happy hour stupid cheap, clientele skews older, I've been recently for lunch and enjoyed. LTH thread may be found --> here

Tandori on Ballard is also an excellent choice for lunch in the area and is up for a GNR.
    Last edited by G Wiv on April 11th, 2018, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #20 - April 11th, 2018, 9:42 am
    Post #20 - April 11th, 2018, 9:42 am Post #20 - April 11th, 2018, 9:42 am
    don't forget los tamales oaxaqueños

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38642
  • Post #21 - April 11th, 2018, 9:57 am
    Post #21 - April 11th, 2018, 9:57 am Post #21 - April 11th, 2018, 9:57 am
    A couple miles north on Wolf is El Paisa Alegre #2.
    The carnitas and the goat are especially good.
  • Post #22 - April 11th, 2018, 9:59 pm
    Post #22 - April 11th, 2018, 9:59 pm Post #22 - April 11th, 2018, 9:59 pm
    You're right in my neighborhood.

In the same strip as Salerno's is Mi Restaurante, good tortas, decent carne en su jugo.

I'll second Al Paisa Allegre, but most menu items are a little large for lunch. The Carneceria kitty corner from there makes a very good taco al pastor from the trompo.

It's not all Mex: Finn McCool's on River just south of Kensington does a great burger, as does North Branch on Lake just east of Milwaukee.
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more