LTH Home

Laschet's und der Ostpreußischer Bärenfang

Laschet's und der Ostpreußischer Bärenfang
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 5 
  • Post #121 - February 17th, 2014, 3:45 pm
    Post #121 - February 17th, 2014, 3:45 pm Post #121 - February 17th, 2014, 3:45 pm
    bw77 wrote:I believe it was Andechser Vollbier Hell (but I think it was listed on the menu as a Pilsener - is that possible?).

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know if it's a Pilsener, but here's what Beer Advocate has to say about the style:

When the golden and clean lagers of Plzen (Bohemia) became all the rage in the mid-1800's, München brewers feared that Germans would start drinking the Czech beer vs. their own. Munich Helles Lager was their answer to meet the demand. A bit more malty, they often share the same spicy hop characters of Czech Pils, but are a bit more subdued and in balance with malts. "Helles" is German for "bright."
  • Post #122 - February 17th, 2014, 6:05 pm
    Post #122 - February 17th, 2014, 6:05 pm Post #122 - February 17th, 2014, 6:05 pm
    bw77 wrote:I believe it was Andechser Vollbier Hell...

We stopped by for dinner as well last night and also took the waitress's beer recommendation of the Andechser Vollbier Hell. I'm no beer maven and really only enjoy one on occasion but it was easily the highlight of our meal.

Their traditionally great fried chicken was a total disappointment, however, as they seemed to have changed their recipe since the last time we were there a few years ago. The crust nowadays is made with a slurry batter, somewhat like a poor rendition of Rip's Tavern in Ladd, IL.

One server taking care of the whole room on a busy Sunday night didn't work out too well either even though she was nice as pie.
  • Post #123 - February 19th, 2014, 5:09 pm
    Post #123 - February 19th, 2014, 5:09 pm Post #123 - February 19th, 2014, 5:09 pm
    bw77 wrote:I believe it was Andechser Vollbier Hell (but I think it was listed on the menu as a Pilsener - is that possible?). I went on their Facebook page to try to confirm the name and noticed that they also have Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel on tap and they are saying that is a first in the US.

It's definitely the Vollbier Hell (Helles). Sat at the bar with a friend last Sunday drinking this most excellent beer and shared a plate of hackepeter and a pretzel while watching the Olympics women's biathlon. All in all a great afternoon.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #124 - February 23rd, 2014, 8:23 am
    Post #124 - February 23rd, 2014, 8:23 am Post #124 - February 23rd, 2014, 8:23 am
    Great find guys! Andechs is an awesome brewery and their doppelbock is easily one of the best out there. It seems they started distributing to the US late last year. I saw some bottles from them at West Lakeview recently.

• Post #125 - February 23rd, 2014, 7:14 pm
    Post #125 - February 23rd, 2014, 7:14 pm Post #125 - February 23rd, 2014, 7:14 pm
    Had a few last night. Good stuff. Also hard to beat the spaetzel. I'll head back across the street when the garden opens and the schnitzkrieg (perhaps the greatest unknown sandwich since the Jim shoe) emerges from its winter slumber, but it's hard to top Laschet's Bavarian lodge in the cooler months.
  • Post #126 - November 1st, 2015, 6:36 am
    Post #126 - November 1st, 2015, 6:36 am Post #126 - November 1st, 2015, 6:36 am

This past weekend my schnitzel-loving mom requested a visit to Laschet's Inn, and I was happy to return after a long break.

I've settled into a standard order over the years. Starting off with the hackpeter and some potato pancakes. The raw beef appetizer is always a crowd pleaser with a shot of maggi and some capers. The potato pancakes were crispy and starchy in all the right ways.

The main attraction, as always, is their wonderful schnitzel. The breading on this visit was particularly light and perked up with a couple squeezes of lemon.

Late fall is my favorite time to hunker down with some Bavarian classics and a pint of crisp German lager.
  • Post #127 - November 1st, 2015, 9:17 am
    Post #127 - November 1st, 2015, 9:17 am Post #127 - November 1st, 2015, 9:17 am
    Reading through this whole thread for the first time before visiting Laschet's, I saw this, and it scared me and made me laugh at the same time:

Antonius wrote:But the word 'Spätzle' is now standard German and so you should write it that way or else

:shock:

and then I saw the rest of the sentence:

Antonius wrote:if your software demands something simpler, you can write 'Spaetzle'.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #128 - November 12th, 2015, 10:13 am
    Post #128 - November 12th, 2015, 10:13 am Post #128 - November 12th, 2015, 10:13 am
    had a dinner with 9 others last night at Laschet's http://www.laschetsinn.com/ , it was my first time.

Jojo the waitress is a total hoot, lucky if you get her to wait on you.

Started out with pretzels as well as potato pancakes. Pretzel was spot on. Potato pancakes were overcooked & not flavorful. The photo upstream of the potato pancakes is much lighter in color than what we had, I think they over fried ours last night.

Goulash was a stunner, I will come back just for this dish alone.

I had the rouladen which was good, the meat had been held for a time so was dry despite gravy.

Safe to say best spaetzle I've ever had, better than what I had in Germany.

A great German dark beer on tap, sorry I can't recall the name.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #129 - November 12th, 2015, 10:30 am
    Post #129 - November 12th, 2015, 10:30 am Post #129 - November 12th, 2015, 10:30 am
    Laschet's and Resi's split pretty evenly on what they offer and do well. Resi has, hands down, the better pancakes and potato salad. Laschet's has pretty mind-blowing spaetzel as you noted. Historically, Resi never even had it. They now offer the dumplings: good but not quite up to across the street. Both have goulash soup (and also a heartier entree stew). Both are great and quite different, with Resi's piquant red version much closer to the Magyar original. But I actually prefer the dark roux of Laschet's. Resi wins by a landslide for summer dining outside in the garden, but its VFW hall interior loses to Laschet's picturesque Bavarian hall dining room by a mile. There's convergence at the sausages and schnitzels, which are great from both places. I've had excellent pork shank at both. Only Laschet's has hackepeter, a very refined, composed version. Resi has the better beer program, though both are good. Very glad to have both in the neighborhood.
  • Post #130 - November 12th, 2015, 10:42 am
    Post #130 - November 12th, 2015, 10:42 am Post #130 - November 12th, 2015, 10:42 am
    I'm a huge fan of Laschet's, but one thing I haven't had there in quite some time (well over a year) is their fried chicken. I always remember it as being one of the very best versions in town. I'll have to get back there soon for it, but has anyone else had it recently?
  • Post #131 - November 12th, 2015, 12:21 pm
    Post #131 - November 12th, 2015, 12:21 pm Post #131 - November 12th, 2015, 12:21 pm
    JeffB wrote: But I actually prefer the dark roux of Laschet's.
    that is what struck me about Laschet's goulash, so rich packed with flavor, slight kick.
    JeffB wrote: Only Laschet's has hackepeter, a very refined, composed version.
    Our group didn't gravitate towards the hackepeter, it will be a must have on my next visit.
  • Post #132 - November 12th, 2015, 11:29 pm
    Post #132 - November 12th, 2015, 11:29 pm Post #132 - November 12th, 2015, 11:29 pm
    Sweet Willie wrote: Had a dinner with 9 others last night at Laschet's Inn. It was my first time.
    Jojo the waitress is a total hoot, you're lucky if you get her to wait on you.
    Started out with pretzels as well as potato pancakes. Pretzel was spot on. Potato pancakes were overcooked & not flavorful. The photo upstream of the potato pancakes is much lighter in color than what we had, I think they over fried ours last night.
    Goulash was a stunner, I will come back just for this dish alone.
    I had the rouladen which was good, the meat had been held for a time so was dry despite gravy.
    Safe to say best spaetzle I've ever had, better than what I had in Germany.
    A great German dark beer on tap, sorry I can't recall the name.
    I've visited Laschet's Inn a bunch of times. A particular night which I still lucidly remember was a Tuesday night in May 2007 when I stepped in there to write down what was to be my response to having one of my LiveJournal accounts struckthrough. As I was scribing my essay (on lined paper), Nick Floyd of 3 Floyds Brwy. walked into the spot to have beers. :!:
    Here are some of the photographs I took. This is Jojo. Image
    Here is the previously mentioned potato pancakes. Image
    I had the pretzel, which was way bigger than I expected. Image
    My main course was the Wednesday special beef stroganoff. Image

The dark German beer is likely Hirter Morchl. :)
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #133 - November 13th, 2015, 1:11 am
    Post #133 - November 13th, 2015, 1:11 am Post #133 - November 13th, 2015, 1:11 am
    I think you mean the Angela Morchl. :wink:
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #134 - February 4th, 2018, 9:14 am
    Post #134 - February 4th, 2018, 9:14 am Post #134 - February 4th, 2018, 9:14 am
    FYI: Laschet's is as great as ever and Chicago institution that doesn't quite get the applause it deserves. A not-surprising 40-minute wait at 8pm last night. Once seated, the usual friendly, wonderful service. Food fantastic too: my wiener schnitzel was tender, delicious with a light, crispy crust. Excellent and plentiful spaetzle and tart red cabbage too. Potato pancakes as excellent and large as usual. Mushroom goulash also so rich and delicious.

My only advice is that if you don't like waits, arrive at 9pm on a Friday/Saturday or go during the week. But this is the time of year we need stick-to-your-ribs warm, comforting food and Laschet's delivers 100%.
  • Post #135 - February 7th, 2018, 12:40 pm
    Post #135 - February 7th, 2018, 12:40 pm Post #135 - February 7th, 2018, 12:40 pm
    BR wrote:FYI: Laschet's is as great as ever and Chicago institution that doesn't quite get the applause it deserves.
    agreed and I've been remiss about not posting about recent visits. Thanks for the reminder. I was thrilled when they tapped a keg of Andechs Beer recently. (which if ever in Munich area make sure you get to Andechs Monastery, don't have to have a car you can take train, then bus or taxi a short distance) Laschet's is great about posting the special kegs of beers they are tapping.
  • Post #136 - June 15th, 2019, 10:31 pm
    Post #136 - June 15th, 2019, 10:31 pm Post #136 - June 15th, 2019, 10:31 pm
    Just wanted to say Laschet's was in fine form tonight for our Father's Day meal. Klopse, Rouladen, Schnitzel, all were great. Room was full, beer was good, Gemütlichkeit in full display. Love this place.
  • Post #137 - June 19th, 2019, 8:58 am
    Post #137 - June 19th, 2019, 8:58 am Post #137 - June 19th, 2019, 8:58 am
    Sweet Willie wrote:
    BR wrote:FYI: Laschet's is as great as ever and Chicago institution that doesn't quite get the applause it deserves.
    agreed and I've been remiss about not posting about recent visits. Thanks for the reminder. I was thrilled when they tapped a keg of Andechs Beer recently. (which if ever in Munich area make sure you get to Andechs Monastery, don't have to have a car you can take train, then bus or taxi a short distance) Laschet's is great about posting the special kegs of beers they are tapping.

Quoting this to second the recommendation for Andechs. Train then cab/bus is the best way to go up, the hike down is pretty awesome and easy since it is downhill. If you are in shape and it is not hot, the hike up would be fun, and a liter of beer a just reward.
  • Post #138 - April 11th, 2020, 4:25 pm
    Post #138 - April 11th, 2020, 4:25 pm Post #138 - April 11th, 2020, 4:25 pm
    Laschett's is running a very well oiled no contact pick up. They place everything in the vestibule and you go in and grab it. Nothing to sign, no human interaction. I was 3rd in line in my vehicle, so I take that as a hopeful sign. Also, they have all of their specials on the current to go menu and possibly some new items unless I've missed the chicken schnitzel cordon bleu on the menu before. I picked up for 4, and everything was great. My only issue is that I didn't get a soup or salad option (not sure if that was with intent or an oversight), and I wish I would've asked for some Maggi with the Hackepeter.
  • Post #139 - November 5th, 2022, 4:26 pm
    Post #139 - November 5th, 2022, 4:26 pm Post #139 - November 5th, 2022, 4:26 pm
    I met a friend here for lunch today. It was the perfect hideaway from the weather. I thought they might not be too busy but at 12:30 there were already a few people at the bar and a few tables sat in the dining room. It was nice to see a steady stream of people come in while we dined as well as an expected group on a pub crawl fill-up the bar around 1:30.

I had the fried cod sandwich. (I know…but I rarely eat meat). I enjoyed it - fresh sesame bun, crispy fish and lettuce, generous tartar sauce on the side along with slaw. My friend really enjoyed the Frikadellen Sandwich. He loved the seasoning of the meat. We both skipped the fries and opted for the Spaetzle. My German grandmother used to make spaetzle but hers were considerably less crisp and usually drowning in buttered breadcrumbs. Also tasty but at this stage in life I think I prefer Laschet’s version.

So glad this place is still here.
  • Post #140 - November 8th, 2022, 12:45 am
    Post #140 - November 8th, 2022, 12:45 am Post #140 - November 8th, 2022, 12:45 am
    IMO the new-ish owners are doing a much better job of marketing the place. Prior owners seemed to be resting way too much on their laurels, especially as the neighborhood changed around it. New owners are making a better case for why it should still be there -- both in the neighborhood or at all.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more