LTH Home

Karyn's Cooked or Raw

Karyn's Cooked or Raw
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Karyn's Cooked or Raw

Post #1 - December 19th, 2009, 11:48 am
    Post #1 - December 19th, 2009, 11:48 am Post #1 - December 19th, 2009, 11:48 am
    I was kind of surprised there wasn't a thread already for Karyn Calabrese's offerings. She's absolutely gorgeous so it's easier to sell anyone that if you eat like her you will be gorgeous. :)

That said, no review because I haven't been in a while, but I'm about to change that because I have an a la card that is good until the 31st of this year, but right now there's a Groupon available for $25 worth of food at Karyn's Cooked for $10. Here's the Groupon.

Karyn's Cooked

738 N Wells St.
    Chicago, IL 60610
    http://www.karynraw.com
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #2 - December 19th, 2009, 11:59 am
    Post #2 - December 19th, 2009, 11:59 am Post #2 - December 19th, 2009, 11:59 am
    I haven't eaten at the restaurants because at various events, Karyn has frightened me with her wacky and preachy thoughts about food. That and the menu looks positively disgusting. Please kill me if the only other choice is to make me eat what she calls "BBQ Ribs" or lasagna.

Karyn wrote:Slab of Ribs $11.95
    BBQ lovers- a grilled tofu/seitan meat substitution that will fool and delight you

Karyn wrote:Classic Lasagna $10.95
    Homemade Classic with smoked spinach and tofu ricotta

...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #3 - December 19th, 2009, 12:38 pm
    Post #3 - December 19th, 2009, 12:38 pm Post #3 - December 19th, 2009, 12:38 pm
    Kennyz wrote:I haven't eaten at the restaurants because at various events, Karyn has frightened me with her wacky and preachy thoughts about food. That and the menu looks positively disgusting. Please kill me if the only other choice is to make me eat what she calls "BBQ Ribs" or lasagna.

Consider going to Karyn's Raw with an open mind. You can eat the real thing(meat) & you have v.v. good taste. Plus you actually like vegetables & probably tofu ( I can't remember) so you don't need your veggies to "fool you" like many do (vegetarians included). No need for you to do Karyn's Cooked at all. My husband is a huge fan of Karyn's Raw, me not so much, & he loves her Rejuvelac. She looks fabulous for a 62 year old woman; I wonder how much of that is because of her diet & restaurant offerings?

I think G Wiv's 2nd pic & commentary tell you how I feel about food :).

Peace,
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

• Post #4 - December 19th, 2009, 3:14 pm
    Post #4 - December 19th, 2009, 3:14 pm Post #4 - December 19th, 2009, 3:14 pm
    I have only been to Karyn's Cooked once and that was about 4 or 5 years ago. I am no vegan or vegetarian but was willing to give it a shot. The food, surprisingly, was good. I may or may not have had the jerk "chicken" which was probably some tofu or seitan like log. Overall food was great but what killed me was the service. For a restaurant that had just a few tables, it was baffling how lunch on a weekday could take 1 1/2 hrs.

Again, that was 4 years ago, on one occasion. Vegan and vegetarians can be quite preachy but with my interactions with her on 2 separate occasions, she was quite nice and didn't have an agenda to push.

Lastly, as pairs4life mentioned, this woman is stunningly beautiful and like 64 years old. She may start a new GILF category for those that may be so inclined to push that acronym/terminology in the mainstream.

Give it a shot. Why not.
  • Post #5 - December 19th, 2009, 7:39 pm
    Post #5 - December 19th, 2009, 7:39 pm Post #5 - December 19th, 2009, 7:39 pm
    jtobin625 wrote:
    Lastly, as pairs4life mentioned, this woman is stunningly beautiful and like 64 years old. She may start a new GILF category for those that may be so inclined to push that acronym/terminology in the mainstream.

Give it a shot. Why not.

I don't know if you are talking about the food or Karyn :P

• Post #6 - December 19th, 2009, 8:00 pm
    Post #6 - December 19th, 2009, 8:00 pm Post #6 - December 19th, 2009, 8:00 pm
    Kennyz wrote:
    BBQ lovers- a grilled tofu/seitan meat substitution that will fool and delight you

that just sound so heinous I am almost speachless.. :x
  • Post #7 - December 19th, 2009, 8:04 pm
    Post #7 - December 19th, 2009, 8:04 pm Post #7 - December 19th, 2009, 8:04 pm
    jimswside wrote:
    Kennyz wrote:

that just sound so heinous I am almost speachless.. :x

Stop it meat lover. I thought of you earlier today & just knew you would have your signature line, "its all good". Now I know you have boundaries :wink: .

Peace,

• Post #8 - December 19th, 2009, 8:07 pm
    Post #8 - December 19th, 2009, 8:07 pm Post #8 - December 19th, 2009, 8:07 pm
    pairs4life wrote:
    Stop it meat lover. I thought of you earlier today & just knew you would have your signature line, "its all good". Now I know you have boundaries :wink: .

Peace,

happy holidays to you and yours.

typically it is all good, but some lines shouldnt be crossed imho. :lol:

cheers..
  • Post #9 - July 17th, 2017, 12:46 pm
    Post #9 - July 17th, 2017, 12:46 pm Post #9 - July 17th, 2017, 12:46 pm
    "Our last day of business on Halsted will be Sunday, July 23rd."

https://chicago.eater.com/2017/7/17/159 ... ncoln-park
  • Post #10 - September 15th, 2020, 7:14 am
    Post #10 - September 15th, 2020, 7:14 am Post #10 - September 15th, 2020, 7:14 am
    Vegan Queen Karyn Calabrese Returns With Virtual Restaurant. Karyn’s Cooked will operate out of Jam’s Logan Square space

https://chicago.eater.com/2020/9/14/214 ... n-delivery
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more