LTH Home

Podhalanka Polish Restaurant [Pictures]

Podhalanka Polish Restaurant [Pictures]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • - March 27th, 2009, 9:08 am
    - March 27th, 2009, 9:08 am Post #31 - March 27th, 2009, 9:08 am
    LTH,

Jazzfood had the brilliant idea of asking Helena of Podhalanka to prepare an off menu dinner of Bigos, aka Hunters Stew, aka National Dish of Poland, so he posted to the Events Board and thirteen hearty hungry souls met last night for a delightful meal.

BYOB beer and wine were in evidence, but I a sucker for Podhalanka's refreshing mixed fruit Kompot. Polish rye, beet salad mixed with a kick start of horseradish, along with apple sauce, sour cream and platters of delicious Potato Pancakes started off our meal. GAF innovatively mixed a bit of sour cream with the beets.

Beets, Sour Cream, Apple Sauce

Potato Pancakes

Choice of soup, either my favorite White Borscht or Mushroom Barley.

White Borscht

Three types of Pierogi followed, generous portions served family style seemed the order of the day.

Pierogi, three types

Bigos, the main event, was really quite delectable. Tender rich long simmered mix of kielbasa and beef, slight sauerkraut tang balanced with just a hint of sweet. When Helena started bringing out the bigos we all thought they were share portions, as were the previous dishes, turned out she had a full plate sized portion for each person. Needless to say we all took home leftovers.

Bigos

A wonderful way to spend a midweek meal, lovingly prepared food, for an almost unreasonably inexpensive price, and the terrific company and conversation of LTHers.

LTHers at Podhalanka

Helena w/pierogi

A good time was had by all, thanks Jazzfood and Helena.

Jazzfood (Alan Lake), Helena

Additional pictures, scroll down to 3.26.09.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide