LTH Home

Avli Estiatorio in Winnetka (Greek)

Avli Estiatorio in Winnetka (Greek)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - April 15th, 2016, 9:11 am
    Post #91 - April 15th, 2016, 9:11 am Post #91 - April 15th, 2016, 9:11 am
    A fast-casual Greek restaurant from the owner of Avli Estiatorio should open on May 1 right next door to their suburban Winnetka location. Chef/owner Louie Alexakis is hoping his new concept that centers around spit rotisserie lamb and chicken — simply called Avli Restaurant & Rotisserie— is scalable and that he'll open more locations including one in Chicago.

http://chicago.eater.com/2016/4/14/1141 ... restaurant
    "Sandwiches are wonderful. You don't need a spoon or a plate!"
    Paul Lynde
  • Post #92 - May 19th, 2016, 2:18 pm
    Post #92 - May 19th, 2016, 2:18 pm Post #92 - May 19th, 2016, 2:18 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Gyros and locanico are not made in-house....
    menu states: "Avli's Homemade Gyros"
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #93 - May 20th, 2016, 10:18 pm
    Post #93 - May 20th, 2016, 10:18 pm Post #93 - May 20th, 2016, 10:18 pm
    Sweet Willie wrote:

Yes, they are. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I typed that but the delicious Gyros at Avli are most definitely made in-house and they always have been. I must have been thinking of another item when I wrote that. I'm really sorry for the misinformation. :oops:

=R=
    I am not interested in how I would evaluate the Springbank in a blind tasting. Every spirit has its story, and I include it in my evaluation, just as I do with human beings. --Thad Vogler

I'll be the tastiest pork cutlet bowl ever --Yuri Katsuki

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #94 - May 23rd, 2016, 9:04 am
    Post #94 - May 23rd, 2016, 9:04 am Post #94 - May 23rd, 2016, 9:04 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Sweet Willie wrote:

Yes, they are. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I typed that but the delicious Gyros at Avli are most definitely made in-house and they always have been. I must have been thinking of another item when I wrote that. I'm really sorry for the misinformation. :oops:

=R=
    thanks for the clarification. We've all had items that claim to be "home made". Parents & I were going to head to Avli on Friday night but seeing as soft shells are in season, picked up some whales at Heinen's instead.
  • Post #95 - August 29th, 2016, 5:27 pm
    Post #95 - August 29th, 2016, 5:27 pm Post #95 - August 29th, 2016, 5:27 pm
    Went to Avli this past weekend. Mrs Willie, parents and I shared the following:

4 spreads: Taramosalata, Skordalia, Hummus, Tzaziki. The taramosalata and skordalia were outstanding, the tzaziki was why bother. (over a gyro sure but compared to the other dips, just didn't measure up)

Grilled Octopus - as good as everyone else has stated, terrific

Avli Bruchetta w/shaved fennel, white anchovies, dill, EVOO - again, terrific

Moussaka - sorry to be repetitive but again, terrific

Mini Rack of Lamb - chargrilled half rack of lamb. Rapini and lemon-oregano rice. Lamb was cooked to M rather than the MR requested, still tender & good flavor. Rapini & rice were very enjoyable.

Gigantes - giant beans, feta, tomato sauce. Feta was served on the side, I found the feta was definitely needed to liven up the dish. Beans were cooked perfectly.

Horta - blanched dandelion greens, garlic, EVOO. I would have liked more garlic with these but still very enjoyable.

We'll be back for sure
  • Post #96 - January 8th, 2018, 1:11 pm
    Post #96 - January 8th, 2018, 1:11 pm Post #96 - January 8th, 2018, 1:11 pm
    While 2017 saw Sumi Robata Bar close to end a five-year run in River North, there’s now news of a promising replacement restaurant. Chef Louie Alexakis, the owner of Avli Restaurant — an acclaimed Greek spot in suburban Winnetka that begot a more-casual spin-off in 2016 — is taking over the space.

https://chicago.eater.com/2018/1/5/1685 ... eek-summer
    "Sandwiches are wonderful. You don't need a spoon or a plate!"
    Paul Lynde

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events