LTH Home

Libertyville eats?

Libertyville eats?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Libertyville eats?

Post #1 - June 8th, 2004, 8:17 pm
    Post #1 - June 8th, 2004, 8:17 pm Post #1 - June 8th, 2004, 8:17 pm
    This Friday morning I'll be driving from my northside home up to the hinterlands of Libertyville to drop my car off for service. It _should_ be a relatively short (couple hours) of service, assuming I get there early enough to have my car be one of the first to be worked on.

I'll be at Bernard's Chevrolet, 1001 S. Milwaukee. Any breakfast options nearby? Any noteable food, breakfast or otherwise, in case it runs longer and I take the train back downtown and return in afternoon/early evening?

Really just looking for potential time-killing outlets other than the dealership waiting room, where typically a TV is blaring out something like Springer/Geraldo/Jenny/etc.
    TIA
  • Post #2 - June 8th, 2004, 8:46 pm
    Post #2 - June 8th, 2004, 8:46 pm Post #2 - June 8th, 2004, 8:46 pm
    Kman wrote:This Friday morning I'll be driving from my northside home up to the hinterlands of Libertyville to drop my car off for service. It _should_ be a relatively short (couple hours) of service, assuming I get there early enough to have my car be one of the first to be worked on.

I'll be at Bernard's Chevrolet, 1001 S. Milwaukee. Any breakfast options nearby? Any noteable food, breakfast or otherwise, in case it runs longer and I take the train back downtown and return in afternoon/early evening?

Really just looking for potential time-killing outlets other than the dealership waiting room, where typically a TV is blaring out something like Springer/Geraldo/Jenny/etc.
    TIA

There is a Walker Brothers pancake house just off Milwaukee in Lincolnshire. I'm not too sure how far away that is, but waiting for one of their apple pancakes to cook could be just the time waster you are looking for :)
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - June 8th, 2004, 9:01 pm
    Post #3 - June 8th, 2004, 9:01 pm Post #3 - June 8th, 2004, 9:01 pm
    My handle used to be "JimInLibertyville," and I can recommend a spot you could probably walk to from the Chevy dealer: Bagels by the Book. Very good on-premises bagel bakery, and the kicker is the breakfast bagel sandwiches. Made to order on a tiny griddle that probably still has the grease from the last one I ordered there over a year ago. I always favored the bacon, cheese and egg sandwich on a cornmeal or salt bagel. (By the way, Bagels by the Book's gimmick used to be that the place was a literal library, with thousands of rummage sale books on shelves that you could borrow, if you promised to bring them back. Last time I was there the books had gone.)

(If you had a car, I'd tell you to go downtown to Townee Square, a Greek diner that would be more satisfying for you.)

Bagels by the Book
    870 S Milwaukee Ave, Libertyville, IL 60048
    Phone: (847) 367-7811
  • Post #4 - June 8th, 2004, 10:09 pm
    Post #4 - June 8th, 2004, 10:09 pm Post #4 - June 8th, 2004, 10:09 pm
    Thanks! Bagels by the Book sounds like a real winner. Yeah, since I'll be on foot (or PACE) I realize the scope of my area is rather limited, and I honestly don't have any familiarity with the immediate area. For those that wonder why I'm traveling all the way up there when there are a zillion Chevy dealers it's simple - trust. The 'vette mechanic there is very well respected and somebody I absolutely trust to do the right thing, and (sadly) it's really hard to find that these days. I will give back, though, and post my findings on any of the places I visit. Since I'll be dropping the car off when they open at 6:30-7:00 AM the steer to Bagels bt Book sounds like a real winner.
  • Post #5 - December 4th, 2004, 2:54 am
    Post #5 - December 4th, 2004, 2:54 am Post #5 - December 4th, 2004, 2:54 am
    Gee,Kman,we are anxiously waiting for that report!I pass through that area occassionally.
  • Post #6 - May 29th, 2005, 1:28 pm
    Post #6 - May 29th, 2005, 1:28 pm Post #6 - May 29th, 2005, 1:28 pm
    Hi,

JiminLoganSquare has several times mentioned the quality of breakfast bagel sandwiches at Bagels by the Book in Libertyville. When he suggested it was even better than McDonald’s Steak and Egg Bagel sandwich, this really got my attention as I really love that sandwich.

This morning came just a little too bright and early due to our with our longer days. Wide awake and nothing to do, I decided even though it was Sunday, an early breakfast in Libertyville would hit the spot. Just to get a broader picture, I invited my Mother and cousin to come along for the ride.

Before departing, I checked Jim’s recommendations for bacon, cheese and egg sandwich on a cornmeal or salt bagel. When I arrived they were down to the last cornmeal bagel and maybe a half dozen salt bagels. I scanned the menu, then decided to go for Jim’s favored combo on a cornmeal bagel, which I shared with my Mother who ordered a sausage variant of the same with the salt bagel. My cousin ordered an egg and cheese on a spinach bagel, which he said did taste of spinach.

Salt Bagel with egg, cheese and sausage

Their method of preparation is to toast the bagels, then cook the eggs like an omelet enclosing the cheese and put any meat on the bottom. This had the advantage of more cheese on your sandwich without it squishing out all over the place.

Spinach Bagel with egg, cheese and sausage

I especially like the cornmeal bagel, which was firm and chewy, though my Mom found it dry. She had no such complaint for her salt bagel, which was just a bit moister from the fat in the sausage. She tends toward a dry mouth which makes her more sensitive than most.

Cornmeal Bagel with egg, cheese and bacon

They also offer bagel lunch sandwiches such as pastrami, corned beef, peanut butter and jelly.

This is a very nice find. Not destination dining, though I would certainly beeline when I am in the area. Thanks Jim for unearthing this for us.

Bagels by the Book
    Monday-Friday: 6 AM - 2:30 PM
    Saturday: 7 AM - 2 PM
    Sunday: 7 AM - 12 PM
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #7 - May 29th, 2005, 2:20 pm
    Post #7 - May 29th, 2005, 2:20 pm Post #7 - May 29th, 2005, 2:20 pm
    Ah, sweet validation! :lol: Glad they've kept up the quality at Bagels by the Book; I haven't been in over a year. As you say, Cathy, it's not a destination dining spot by any stretch (in Libertyville, that would be Tavern, Firkin and/or Bottaio). But it was always nice having them there when I lived there and, as Kman's original post suggests, it's a great spot to hit if you find yourself stranded on the Libertyville/S. Milwaukee Avenue automobile row waiting for a repair, etc.
  • Post #8 - April 29th, 2018, 6:34 pm
    Post #8 - April 29th, 2018, 6:34 pm Post #8 - April 29th, 2018, 6:34 pm
    Hi,

I had a day long meeting in Libertyville. It was a great opportunity to visit Bagels by the Book twice in one day.

Breakfast was an everything bagel with an egg, bacon and Swiss cheese. Lunch was Boar's Head roast beef with tomato, lettuce, onion and mustard on an everything bagel. I had hoped they might have a horseradish cream sauce, but no dice.

On both visits, I ordered my meal and then a long line gathered behind me. All my past visits were at sleepy times, so it was great to see this place supported by locals.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #9 - April 30th, 2018, 7:36 am
    Post #9 - April 30th, 2018, 7:36 am Post #9 - April 30th, 2018, 7:36 am
    Dang, right next door to where I get my hair cut. Never have gone in--now I'll have to.

You know, right up the street from there is a weekly go-to of mine, a Hub's-ish Greek-tinged establishment named Fodrak's. BBQ half-chicken over Greek salad is a favorite for the carb avoiders. Best gyros in Lake County, moist and flavorful.

What did they say on Seinfeld? "It's NOT fast food--it's good food served quickly!"

Fodrak's
    327 S. Milwaukee Ave.
    Libertyville, IL 60048
    (847) 816-8111

http://www.fodraks.com
  • Post #10 - April 30th, 2018, 12:13 pm
    Post #10 - April 30th, 2018, 12:13 pm Post #10 - April 30th, 2018, 12:13 pm
    I’ve had the gyro at Fodraks. It’s not bad. But I prefer Nikko's Grecian Grill.

310 Townline Road
    Mundelein

While Not in Libertyville, it is in Lake Country.

D.
  • Post #11 - June 7th, 2018, 7:28 am
    Post #11 - June 7th, 2018, 7:28 am Post #11 - June 7th, 2018, 7:28 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

JiminLoganSquare has several times mentioned the quality of breakfast bagel sandwiches at Bagels by the Book in Libertyville. When he suggested it was even better than McDonald’s Steak and Egg Bagel sandwich, this really got my attention as I really love that sandwich.

This morning came just a little too bright and early due to our with our longer days. Wide awake and nothing to do, I decided even though it was Sunday, an early breakfast in Libertyville would hit the spot. Just to get a broader picture, I invited my Mother and cousin to come along for the ride.

Before departing, I checked Jim’s recommendations for bacon, cheese and egg sandwich on a cornmeal or salt bagel. When I arrived they were down to the last cornmeal bagel and maybe a half dozen salt bagels. I scanned the menu, then decided to go for Jim’s favored combo on a cornmeal bagel, which I shared with my Mother who ordered a sausage variant of the same with the salt bagel. My cousin ordered an egg and cheese on a spinach bagel, which he said did taste of spinach.

Salt Bagel with egg, cheese and sausage

Their method of preparation is to toast the bagels, then cook the eggs like an omelet enclosing the cheese and put any meat on the bottom. This had the advantage of more cheese on your sandwich without it squishing out all over the place.

Spinach Bagel with egg, cheese and sausage

I especially like the cornmeal bagel, which was firm and chewy, though my Mom found it dry. She had no such complaint for her salt bagel, which was just a bit moister from the fat in the sausage. She tends toward a dry mouth which makes her more sensitive than most.

Cornmeal Bagel with egg, cheese and bacon

They also offer bagel lunch sandwiches such as pastrami, corned beef, peanut butter and jelly.

This is a very nice find. Not destination dining, though I would certainly beeline when I am in the area. Thanks Jim for unearthing this for us.

Bagels by the Book
    Monday-Friday: 6 AM - 2:30 PM
    Saturday: 7 AM - 2 PM
    Sunday: 7 AM - 12 PM

Bagels By The Books Will Close

https://patch.com/illinois/libertyville ... will-close
    "At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom." George Carlin
  • Post #12 - June 7th, 2018, 8:54 am
    Post #12 - June 7th, 2018, 8:54 am Post #12 - June 7th, 2018, 8:54 am
    In May, the little 14-table shop sold 6,869 breakfast sandwiches as well as 9,374 bagels, the Daily Herald reports.

Little said a disagreement between her and the landlord of the location is what led to her decision to not renew her lease and to close. She does not have any immediate plans to reopen elsewhere, according to the article.

Maybe they can move to the shuttered Bahn Mi store?

Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #13 - June 7th, 2018, 2:52 pm
    Post #13 - June 7th, 2018, 2:52 pm Post #13 - June 7th, 2018, 2:52 pm
    This thread caught my eye today.

Visit Bagels by the Book soon. I read this morning that they will be closing soon after a long run.

I want to recommend a great, fresh 1+ year old local spot that my wife and I both love. Their lunches and dinners are fantastic, and keeping with the theme of this thread, their breakfast is worth enjoying if in the Libertyville area, and just 4 or 5 blocks North of the mentioned Chevy dealership.

Dos Amigos
    101 Rockland Rd
    Libertyville, IL
    (corner of Rockland Rd and Rt 21/Milwaukee Ave)

I can't speak for evything on the breakfast menu, but do recommend both the cecina and eggs, and the chilaquiles. We do have a few go-to mexican restaurants, but dos amigos always tastes so fresh to us. It has a very local feel to it, friendly staff and owners, casual setting. Everything tastes made to order. While not on the menu, huevos rancheros are available if requested (when I inquired).

As a side note, at lunch and dinner, they do charge for chips, but outstanding chips and guac are worth the cost.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more