LTH Home

Ohio House Restaurant (pictures)

Ohio House Restaurant (pictures)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - March 22nd, 2013, 12:17 pm
    Post #61 - March 22nd, 2013, 12:17 pm Post #61 - March 22nd, 2013, 12:17 pm
    Long time lurker, first time poster. Wanted to bring to the attention of the forum that Ohio House Coffee Shop at Lasalle and Ohio is under threat of closing. According to Cathy, one of the world's greatest diner waitresses and owner, the Motel's landlord gave them notice that by end of April, they will be bringing in a different diner ('Golden Biscuits' or something of the like) to occupy the coffee shop space.

I know there have been some threads about Ohio House in the past, and it seems to be very well regarded as one of those places that 'feels like home.' Would have been a great candidate for a GNR come to think of it. Anyway, thought everyone would like to know. I also wonder if a situation like this has come up with a forum favorite spot before and if there's any possibility for intervention.
  • Post #62 - April 10th, 2013, 5:44 pm
    Post #62 - April 10th, 2013, 5:44 pm Post #62 - April 10th, 2013, 5:44 pm
    More news on the impending closing from Crain's (subscription might be required), including a quote from our own stevez . . .

There's no shortage of chic brunch spots in Chicago, but downtown's share of cheap, authentic diners is shrinking.

The latest casualty: Ohio House Coffee Shop, a classic at 600 N. LaSalle St. with more than 50 years of history in River North. It will close at the end of April.

“It's going to be a chain coffeehouse,” said owner Cathy Roquemore, 77, though she's not sure which. “Everywhere you look down here, you see a chain . . . and with exorbitant prices.”

“I wouldn't say it's dying,” said Steve Zaransky, co-owner of LTHForum, a message board for Chicago foodies. “In areas where the real estate is real expensive, it is going away, but there are plenty around in the neighborhoods.”

Mr. Zaransky points to Moon's Sandwich Shop on the city's Near West Side, Diner Grill in Lakeview and White Palace Grill in the South Loop as thriving examples.

Is Ohio House restaurant closing the end of an era?

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #63 - April 11th, 2013, 5:25 pm
    Post #63 - April 11th, 2013, 5:25 pm Post #63 - April 11th, 2013, 5:25 pm
    Steve Z's posts always made me want to eat there. I drive by most week days of the weeks. I think I will say hello, and unfortunately goodbye this month.

It sucks how we take institutions like this for granted and then rush over at the end.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #64 - April 12th, 2013, 8:06 am
    Post #64 - April 12th, 2013, 8:06 am Post #64 - April 12th, 2013, 8:06 am
    pairs4life wrote:Steve Z's posts always made me want to eat there. I drive by most week days of the weeks. I think I will say hello, and unfortunately goodbye this month.

It sucks how we take institutions like this for granted and then rush over at the end.

I tip my hat to Bill for his kind documentation of the Ohio House Restaurant.
    -Mary
  • Post #65 - October 18th, 2018, 10:39 am
    Post #65 - October 18th, 2018, 10:39 am Post #65 - October 18th, 2018, 10:39 am
    Soon to be the home of Cafe Tola, making empanadas
    https://chicago.eater.com/2018/10/17/17 ... restaurant
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #66 - October 18th, 2018, 3:27 pm
    Post #66 - October 18th, 2018, 3:27 pm Post #66 - October 18th, 2018, 3:27 pm
    Jesus, this makes brilliant sense. Quite happy to see this quirky mom and pop chain spread. Love the aesthetic and the people they hire almost as much as the food.

I wanted to mention that the Tolas with tacos (at least the California and Addison shops) have really filled a void for me lately with their breakfast tacos and burritos. As good as anything you might get in Austin or Denver in my book.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more