LTH Home

Vito & Nick's Pizza

Vito & Nick's Pizza
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 10 of 10 
  • Post #271 - June 23rd, 2014, 4:20 pm
    Post #271 - June 23rd, 2014, 4:20 pm Post #271 - June 23rd, 2014, 4:20 pm
    Ram4 wrote:Marie's is on Lawrence just east of Pulaski.


    It's actually just WEST of Pulaski on Lawrence.

    Marie's GNR Thread

    Marie's Pizza
    4127 W. Lawrence
    Chicago, IL 60630
    773-725-1812
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #272 - June 24th, 2014, 9:10 am
    Post #272 - June 24th, 2014, 9:10 am Post #272 - June 24th, 2014, 9:10 am
    walter wade wrote:Glad you came around. better late than never. been going to V & N, since forever.
    I put Wells Bros. behind V & N. Had Barnaby's once. Not that impressed. I'm close, so another try.
    Never had Maries. Where are they located.?
    Thanks
    Wally Wade


    Barnaby's of Northbrook I almost want to put in its own category, due to its oddball crust. My own Midwestern thin crust ranking right now would be: Vito & Nick's, Villa Nova (in Berwyn), and -- since we're including Wisconsin with Wells Brothers -- I'll put Maria's (Milwaukee) in third.
  • Post #273 - June 24th, 2014, 9:52 am
    Post #273 - June 24th, 2014, 9:52 am Post #273 - June 24th, 2014, 9:52 am
    Was @ V and N's a few weeks ago and I don't know but I was not that impressed as I had been in the past. Now I have not been there in at least five years and not sure that I will not be there again for a while. Pizza was ok it seemed just not the best sausage was good, cheese seemed to be a thickened mass and the crust was soggy. If I had to guess I think the pizza was sitting out for a while before it was served. I put Barnaby's way ahead as far as preference, and its closer to me.
  • Post #274 - June 24th, 2014, 10:38 am
    Post #274 - June 24th, 2014, 10:38 am Post #274 - June 24th, 2014, 10:38 am
    If you are counting Wisconsin, you would have to include Zaffiro's on Farwell (the original) and Balisteri's on 68th. Both are fantastic. I would rate Maria's third of the three.
  • Post #275 - June 24th, 2014, 3:17 pm
    Post #275 - June 24th, 2014, 3:17 pm Post #275 - June 24th, 2014, 3:17 pm
    Puckjam wrote:If you are counting Wisconsin, you would have to include Zaffiro's on Farwell (the original) and Balisteri's on 68th. Both are fantastic. I would rate Maria's third of the three.


    Never been to Balisteri's. Have to remind myself for the next trip up there. Zaffiro's I'm very familiar with (though I didn't know there were multiple locations--I've only been to the one on Farwell), but I prefer Maria's. I've consistently found it more flavorful. The only minus for Maria's is that it doesn't have a bar or serve alcohol. That said, I've been to Zaffiro's more often for this reason, though every time I go to Maria's, I'm reminded of how much I love their pizza. I'd go Maria's, Wells Brothers, Zaffiro's in that order. I'm excited to try Balisteri's next time, though.
    Last edited by Binko on June 24th, 2014, 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #276 - June 24th, 2014, 3:19 pm
    Post #276 - June 24th, 2014, 3:19 pm Post #276 - June 24th, 2014, 3:19 pm
    2146 north wrote:Was @ V and N's a few weeks ago and I don't know but I was not that impressed as I had been in the past. Now I have not been there in at least five years and not sure that I will not be there again for a while. Pizza was ok it seemed just not the best sausage was good, cheese seemed to be a thickened mass and the crust was soggy. If I had to guess I think the pizza was sitting out for a while before it was served. I put Barnaby's way ahead as far as preference, and its closer to me.


    Soggy crust is really weird. I've occasionally gotten a crust that was too crisp (like the last time I was there), but never been confronted with a soggy one. In my opinion, it should be crispy around the edges, but soft enough to be foldable (or maybe "pliable" is a better word) for the inside pieces. That's the "correct" texture for me. Last time I got one that was crisp all the way through and, I have to admit, it was what I would call a very rare miss for V&N's. Still good, but it all felt a bit overcooked.
  • Post #277 - June 24th, 2014, 7:28 pm
    Post #277 - June 24th, 2014, 7:28 pm Post #277 - June 24th, 2014, 7:28 pm
    Zaffiro's does not have multiple locations per se. They have sold some franchise ability to the Marcus Theater Group. Not bad, but not the original. In my opinion, you have to stay away from veggies at Zaffiro's as the crust is so thin, that water from the veggies does it no favors. Get the homemade sausage and pep. Maria's has a great taste profile. Balistreri's on 68th is great, the cheese is like butter. Habit forming. Enjoy.
  • Post #278 - July 8th, 2015, 7:35 pm
    Post #278 - July 8th, 2015, 7:35 pm Post #278 - July 8th, 2015, 7:35 pm
    My wife and I went to Vito & Nick's today, and I have to say that it was not a great experience.

    The service was excruciatingly slow: We were seated at 4:00 pm but we didn't get our pizza until 5:30 pm even though the place was not at all crowded. It also took a long time for us to get our check. My wife attributed the slowness to a shift change, but nevertheless we both agreed that such tardiness is not acceptable.

    We had the house special pizza with house-made sausage, green peppers, onions and mushrooms. The toppings were tasty, and the sauce was properly balanced and devoid of the cloying Chef Boy-Ar-Dee sweetness that I've found on many Chicago-style thin-crust and deep-dish pizzas. The crust was too thin and crispy for this native East Coaster - I likened it to nachos; my wife is a Wisconsin native who grew up on tavern-style pizza and the crust was a bit too crispy for her tastes (I realize that Vito & Nick's crust "is what it is" and that criticizing it for excessive crunchiness is like criticizing the sky for being blue :lol: ).
  • Post #279 - July 8th, 2015, 10:55 pm
    Post #279 - July 8th, 2015, 10:55 pm Post #279 - July 8th, 2015, 10:55 pm
    ld111134 wrote:My wife and I went to Vito & Nick's today, and I have to say that it was not a great experience.

    The service was excruciatingly slow: We were seated at 4:00 pm but we didn't get our pizza until 5:30 pm even though the place was not at all crowded. It also took a long time for us to get our check. My wife attributed the slowness to a shift change, but nevertheless we both agreed that such tardiness is not acceptable.

    We had the house special pizza with house-made sausage, green peppers, onions and mushrooms. The toppings were tasty, and the sauce was properly balanced and devoid of the cloying Chef Boy-Ar-Dee sweetness that I've found on many Chicago-style thin-crust and deep-dish pizzas. The crust was too thin and crispy for this native East Coaster - I likened it to nachos; my wife is a Wisconsin native who grew up on tavern-style pizza and the crust was a bit too crispy for her tastes (I realize that Vito & Nick's crust "is what it is" and that criticizing it for excessive crunchiness is like criticizing the sky for being blue :lol: ).


    I find that somewhat surprising. Not the East Coast part (it is a crispier pizza, and that's the charm of it, which you recognize), but it's not crispier than many Wisconsin pizzas I've had. Certainly not crispier or thinner than Zaffiro's. It's not what I would call a "cracker crust." It's thin, yes, but not crackery. Zaffiro's is what I would call a cracker. The old Candlelight is what I would call a cracker. Vito's and Nick's is thin, but there's some substance to it, and usually a good bit of flop to it once you get away from the edge pieces. (And sometimes even the edge pieces get that way too. Rarely, but disappointing when they do, which is why I order it well done whenever I eat there.)
  • Post #280 - July 9th, 2015, 10:08 am
    Post #280 - July 9th, 2015, 10:08 am Post #280 - July 9th, 2015, 10:08 am
    ld111134 wrote:My wife and I went to Vito & Nick's today, and I have to say that it was not a great experience.

    The service was excruciatingly slow: We were seated at 4:00 pm but we didn't get our pizza until 5:30 pm even though the place was not at all crowded. It also took a long time for us to get our check. My wife attributed the slowness to a shift change, but nevertheless we both agreed that such tardiness is not acceptable.

    We had the house special pizza with house-made sausage, green peppers, onions and mushrooms. The toppings were tasty, and the sauce was properly balanced and devoid of the cloying Chef Boy-Ar-Dee sweetness that I've found on many Chicago-style thin-crust and deep-dish pizzas. The crust was too thin and crispy for this native East Coaster - I likened it to nachos; my wife is a Wisconsin native who grew up on tavern-style pizza and the crust was a bit too crispy for her tastes (I realize that Vito & Nick's crust "is what it is" and that criticizing it for excessive crunchiness is like criticizing the sky for being blue :lol: ).


    I find that somewhat surprising. Not the East Coast part (it is a crispier pizza, and that's the charm of it, which you recognize), but it's not crispier than many Wisconsin pizzas I've had. Certainly not crispier or thinner than Zaffiro's. It's not what I would call a "cracker crust." It's thin, yes, but not crackery. Zaffiro's is what I would call a cracker. The old Candlelight is what I would call a cracker. Vito's and Nick's is thin, but there's some substance to it, and usually a good bit of flop to it once you get away from the edge pieces. (And sometimes even the edge pieces get that way too. Rarely, but disappointing when they do, which is why I order it well done whenever I eat there.)


    Maybe this was just an inadvertently well done pie. My wife and I both like D'Agostino's pizza (our favorite Chicago-style thin crust pies) precisely because its crusts consistently feature a combination of perimeter crispiness and interior pliability. The Vito & Nick's pie was crispy throughout - hence my comparison to nachos. Actually, the nachos allusion isn't far-fetched: Both Chicago-style thin crust pizza and nachos were invented as bar snacks to keep patrons drinking rather that as meals per se (the sheeted, super-thin crust is both simpler to make than a hand-tossed crust and leaves plenty of room for beer).

    Surprisingly, my wife has not been to Zaffiro's or Wells Brothers. When she grew up in Racine, they mostly went to Infusino's or the local Rocky Rococo. My wife and I were scheduled to go up to Racine this week to meet family and eat at Wells Brothers for the first time, but something came up so we went to Vito & Nick's instead.
  • Post #281 - July 9th, 2015, 10:31 am
    Post #281 - July 9th, 2015, 10:31 am Post #281 - July 9th, 2015, 10:31 am
    I love a sausage pizza at V&N, and they make the pizzas well done (because "that's how people should get it" - and I happen to agree :wink: ). Your pizza sounds good to me. I like it crispy. No way would I pick D'ags over V&N, that's for sure. To each his own. As far as the service being that slow, that's terrible. They've been known to do that sometimes.
  • Post #282 - July 9th, 2015, 12:58 pm
    Post #282 - July 9th, 2015, 12:58 pm Post #282 - July 9th, 2015, 12:58 pm
    Ram4 wrote:I love a sausage pizza at V&N, and they make the pizzas well done (because "that's how people should get it" - and I happen to agree :wink: ). Your pizza sounds good to me. I like it crispy. No way would I pick D'ags over V&N, that's for sure. To each his own. As far as the service being that slow, that's terrible. They've been known to do that sometimes.


    See, I have to specifically ask for well done, or perhaps I like it extra well, as if I don't, I get a pie that more closely resembles a standard Chicago thin crust in terms of doneness.
  • Post #283 - July 11th, 2015, 1:09 pm
    Post #283 - July 11th, 2015, 1:09 pm Post #283 - July 11th, 2015, 1:09 pm
    Binko wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:I love a sausage pizza at V&N, and they make the pizzas well done (because "that's how people should get it" - and I happen to agree :wink: ). Your pizza sounds good to me. I like it crispy. No way would I pick D'ags over V&N, that's for sure. To each his own. As far as the service being that slow, that's terrible. They've been known to do that sometimes.


    See, I have to specifically ask for well done, or perhaps I like it extra well, as if I don't, I get a pie that more closely resembles a standard Chicago thin crust in terms of doneness.

    I usually order all my pizzas well done, but I haven't done so at V&N, they usually do it right. Although for most of my life I'd order Barnaby's of Northbrook as is, and it's usually on the golden brown side, but I've started going all out well done and I think it's even better.
  • Post #284 - March 27th, 2016, 2:29 pm
    Post #284 - March 27th, 2016, 2:29 pm Post #284 - March 27th, 2016, 2:29 pm
    I went to V&N a few weeks ago and I can't believe I'm saying this but it was lousy. After having some of the best thin crust sausage pizzas there in the last couple of years, my pizza tasted more like the frozen V&N II brand - bland sausage, with unforgettable sauce and cheese with a cardboard crust. I still don't get it. How can it go from the best to the awful like that? The only thing it had going for it was it was cooked perfectly well done as always. First Marie's has been going downhill recently and now this? :? I'll go back again eventually since I pretty much declared it my favorite thin crust sausage! :oops: I have to think it was the sausage itself, it was really bad this time.
  • Post #285 - March 27th, 2016, 7:43 pm
    Post #285 - March 27th, 2016, 7:43 pm Post #285 - March 27th, 2016, 7:43 pm
    That's actually pretty shocking for such a consistently awesome classic thin crust pizza. Did you voice your complaint to anyone there, or just to the forum? Not that it matters much, but it's good that you'll give them another try-especially considering it's about an hour drive for you to get there!
  • Post #286 - October 3rd, 2017, 11:47 am
    Post #286 - October 3rd, 2017, 11:47 am Post #286 - October 3rd, 2017, 11:47 am
    Phenomenal pizza, as it ever was, at Vito & Nick's a few weeks back . . .

    Image
    Italian Beef and Hot Giardiniera (partial, small)

    We also ordered a sausage pizza and it was never better. This place remains great and every time I go I remind myself that 84th and Pulaski isn't that far when you're looking for what amounts to the best thin-crust pizza in Chicago.

    =R=
    There's a horse loose in a hospital -- JM

    I am not interested in how I would evaluate the Springbank in a blind tasting. Every spirit has its story, and I include it in my evaluation, just as I do with human beings. --Thad Vogler

    I'll be the tastiest pork cutlet bowl ever --Yuri Katsuki

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #287 - October 4th, 2017, 9:52 am
    Post #287 - October 4th, 2017, 9:52 am Post #287 - October 4th, 2017, 9:52 am
    I can't remember if I posted this before, but if you ever want to gild the lily a bit, try the beef & giard with sausage on it, too (what would amount to a "combo" pizza.)
  • Post #288 - October 4th, 2017, 10:02 am
    Post #288 - October 4th, 2017, 10:02 am Post #288 - October 4th, 2017, 10:02 am
    Binko wrote: (what would amount to a "combo" pizza.)

    As if Ronnie's picture wasn't enough to get me running to Vito & Nick's!!
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #289 - October 4th, 2017, 10:47 am
    Post #289 - October 4th, 2017, 10:47 am Post #289 - October 4th, 2017, 10:47 am
    My brother ordered a beef and sausage combo pizza with giardiniera once. It didn't do much for me, but he liked it. Last couple of times I've been to V&N the sausage pizza was great.
  • Post #290 - October 4th, 2017, 11:14 am
    Post #290 - October 4th, 2017, 11:14 am Post #290 - October 4th, 2017, 11:14 am
    Ram4 wrote:My brother ordered a beef and sausage combo pizza with giardiniera once. It didn't do much for me, but he liked it. Last couple of times I've been to V&N the sausage pizza was great.

    I can never decide between the two, so I usually order one of each . . . as we did on this last visit.

    =R=
    There's a horse loose in a hospital -- JM

    I am not interested in how I would evaluate the Springbank in a blind tasting. Every spirit has its story, and I include it in my evaluation, just as I do with human beings. --Thad Vogler

    I'll be the tastiest pork cutlet bowl ever --Yuri Katsuki

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #291 - October 4th, 2017, 11:18 am
    Post #291 - October 4th, 2017, 11:18 am Post #291 - October 4th, 2017, 11:18 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    Binko wrote: (what would amount to a "combo" pizza.)

    As if Ronnie's picture wasn't enough to get me running to Vito & Nick's!!

    Yes - genius!

    =R=
    There's a horse loose in a hospital -- JM

    I am not interested in how I would evaluate the Springbank in a blind tasting. Every spirit has its story, and I include it in my evaluation, just as I do with human beings. --Thad Vogler

    I'll be the tastiest pork cutlet bowl ever --Yuri Katsuki

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #292 - July 1st, 2018, 7:33 am
    Post #292 - July 1st, 2018, 7:33 am Post #292 - July 1st, 2018, 7:33 am
    The latest issue (Aug/Sept 2018) issue of Cooks Country has a nice history of Vito & Nick’s along with a thin crust pizza recipe based on the one used at V&N.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more