LTH Home

Favorite Chicago Restaurants and Fast food from the past

Favorite Chicago Restaurants and Fast food from the past
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 11 of 11 
  • Post #301 - December 13th, 2017, 12:40 pm
    Post #301 - December 13th, 2017, 12:40 pm Post #301 - December 13th, 2017, 12:40 pm
    Sorry if this is a but different, but topic IS from the past, so, despite the blank stares that will follow this by the majority of North Siders who are on this forum* I submit this, mostly for anyone who may have information:

Tierra Grill in Villa Park, Western Suburbs.
    Closed about 5 years ago? Best al pastor tacos ever, among many other excellent things they made. Never found out why they closed, where they may have gone....

*Yes I am jealous and at earliest opportunity will move to North side of Chicago where 90% of the good restaurants discussed here are.
  • Post #302 - December 28th, 2018, 2:56 pm
    Post #302 - December 28th, 2018, 2:56 pm Post #302 - December 28th, 2018, 2:56 pm
    In another topic, I posted the list of all restaurants in the listings in the July 1973 issue of Chicago Magazine.
  • Post #303 - December 28th, 2018, 5:23 pm
    Post #303 - December 28th, 2018, 5:23 pm Post #303 - December 28th, 2018, 5:23 pm
    Back in the early 80s, IIRC, when Chicago Magazine ran a list of the best pizza, IIRC Nancy's was the top pick, but they complained it had too much garlic. I had been going to Caravelle on Waukegan in Northbrook, and, after going to Nancy's felt that Caravelle was exactly like Nancy's but with less garlic....
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #304 - December 29th, 2018, 8:20 am
    Post #304 - December 29th, 2018, 8:20 am Post #304 - December 29th, 2018, 8:20 am
    Far away from downtown, I have great 1960's memories of occasional family visits to white tablecloth places. We lived way out in Roselle, ten miles west of O'Hare Field- there were no fine dining experiences right near us. We had to travel a ways to enjoy a good meal. These restaurants were always suit and tie, fancy dress occasions. And kids, remember to mind your manners! And of course, there was no such thing as a no-smoking section. Ever.

The Homestead out on North Avenue in Melrose Park. Corn fritters smothered in maple syrup, yum! It was the fanciest place we went to back in that era. Burned down IIRC, in the mid/late 1980's. I heard it had underworld connections, so....

The Milk Pail, out in Elgin on highway 25. Still there but I think it's mostly serving Mexican/Central American fare. It has/had an old wooden water tower in front. The food back then was typical American meat & potatoes. And more meat & potatoes.

Louie's, on Lake Street in Addison. Right next to Salt Creek, it was constantly prone to flooding (or fires). For years it had a terrible problem with mold. Bought by the state of Illinois and demolished due to a flood control project- in the early 90's, I believe.

A classic brick roadhouse in Schiller Park on Irving Park Road- I think it was named Hank's Turtle Inn. It had this great 1930's era neon sign out front, bragging about it's "Famous Mock Turtle Soup". Torn down in the late 80's-early 90's, as I recall.

Ah, memories.....
  • Post #305 - January 7th, 2019, 2:02 am
    Post #305 - January 7th, 2019, 2:02 am Post #305 - January 7th, 2019, 2:02 am
    Back in the 1980s I had a girlfriend who was a bit timid in her dining tastes. First big change was when she fell in love with Pita Inn on Dempster, then the next step was Poolgogi Korean restaurant on Morse east of the CTA rapid transit, I think the building is now the Maynestage.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #306 - January 7th, 2019, 5:49 am
    Post #306 - January 7th, 2019, 5:49 am Post #306 - January 7th, 2019, 5:49 am
    Poolgogi Steak House was my absolute first foray into Korean food, back in the late '70's. We'd go on Sunday mornings, hungover, for bibim bap in the metal bowl, or poolgogi & eggs, covered with gochu jang, convinced that it had restorative powers.
  • Post #307 - January 12th, 2019, 7:22 pm
    Post #307 - January 12th, 2019, 7:22 pm Post #307 - January 12th, 2019, 7:22 pm
    Not saying it was great but when I worked downtown in 90s there was a restaurant near Washington and Wells called Briazz. They had a chicken sandwich that spoke to me. Every once and while to this day, it shows up in my head unannounced.
  • Post #308 - February 22nd, 2019, 8:11 am
    Post #308 - February 22nd, 2019, 8:11 am Post #308 - February 22nd, 2019, 8:11 am
    Just thinking about old fast food chains..... anyone recall Yankee Doodle Dandy? Their steak sandwich was off the chain- they had a steak sauce that was beefy, a little sweet, and I guess we'd say today, umami. Their fried chicken was pretty good as well. The fries were crinkle cut, and allegedly fried in an oil which contained beef fat.

I'd drop by and eat there again, if someone ever reopened the chain with the same menu.
  • Post #309 - February 22nd, 2019, 8:59 am
    Post #309 - February 22nd, 2019, 8:59 am Post #309 - February 22nd, 2019, 8:59 am
    adipocere wrote:Just thinking about old fast food chains..... anyone recall Yankee Doodle Dandy? Their steak sandwich was off the chain- they had a steak sauce that was beefy, a little sweet, and I guess we'd say today, umami. Their fried chicken was pretty good as well. The fries were crinkle cut, and allegedly fried in an oil which contained beef fat.

I'd drop by and eat there again, if someone ever reopened the chain with the same menu.

I don't know if this is remotely helpful, but I found a Wikipedia article related to Yankee Doodle.
    Starting in 1981, the Proyce family decide to withdraw from the fast food industry and refocus their efforts in casual dining restaurant and bar industry through the conversion of two of the company owned Yankee Doodles in Elmhurst and Arlington Heights into the new Bailey's Restaurant & Bar concept while closing the rest of the fast food operations.[4] Eventually a total of four Bailey's Restaurant & Bar were opened by 1988.

Bailey's Restaurant and Bar still exists. Did they borrow any elements from Yankee Doodles, who knows?

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #310 - February 23rd, 2019, 10:08 pm
    Post #310 - February 23rd, 2019, 10:08 pm Post #310 - February 23rd, 2019, 10:08 pm
    adipocere wrote: Just thinking about old fast food chains..... anyone recall Yankee Doodle Dandy? Their steak sandwich was off the chain- they had a steak sauce that was beefy, a little sweet, and I guess we'd say today, umami. Their fried chicken was pretty good as well. The fries were crinkle cut, and allegedly fried in an oil which contained beef fat.
    Absolutely, bunky. :)
    Back in the late 1970s, when I would have a CTA SuperTransfer; on a particular Sunday, I would concoct a riding pattern which put me into the Century shopping mall @ Clark & Diversey. (This would have been the first conversion of a former movie theater into a shopping mall.)
    After scrounging the week's music radio surveys from WLS, WCFL, WBMX, and the "Galgano Distributors" Soul Survey from the Metro Music store in the mall, instead of eating anything from a mall purveyor (to be honest, aside from the United Audio Centers shop, I cannot recall any other shop therein), I would cross Diversey and wind up eating hamburgers at the Yankee Doodle Dandy shop at Clark & Schubert. This included an additional advantage of being across the block from the Chicago Transit Authority's "Limits" garage (Yes - I corrupted an Eagles song to "Take It/(Me) To The Limits (Garage)".), when even then, a bus would actually pull out to begin its run.
    There were other Yankee Doodle Dandys on N. Harlem (west side of avenue) immediately south of Irving Park Rd., and later on, on Northwest Hwy., south of Devon Ave., in Park Ridge (which was discovered when riding a Nortran bus through downtown Park Ridge in 1979).
    The hamburgers were OK. It did not make an issue of it, but I believe its were broiled instead of fried.
    The links you can use, without the fluff, or sales pitch: http://208.84.112.25/~pudgym29/bookmark4.html
  • Post #311 - February 24th, 2019, 8:36 am
    Post #311 - February 24th, 2019, 8:36 am Post #311 - February 24th, 2019, 8:36 am
    pudgym29 wrote:After scrounging the week's music radio surveys from WLS, WCFL, WBMX, and the "Galgano Distributors" Soul Survey from the Metro Music store in the mall, instead of eating anything from a mall purveyor (to be honest, aside from the United Audio Centers shop, I cannot recall any other shop therein)...

[offtopic]The Century had a very fine store that stocked unusual board games that were far outside both the Milton Bradley family stuff or even Avalon Hill wargames. I don't remember the name, but I do remember picking up some games themed around Lord of the Rings and Elric of Melnibone. [/offtopic] But if I were in that neighborhood, the Creperie was more likely to be my food destination.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more